Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Support Forum > Site Support Forum
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 04-29-2010, 10:10 AM   #1
Chickie

Default PC to Mac

I have been using a PC for a number of years and am considering upgrading to an iMac. I am wondering how difficult the transition might be and would appreciate input from anyone on the forum who has made the switch. I worry that it might be too overwhelming for this old chick. What about repairs? Are there places in the Lakes Region that service Macs?

Thanks.
Chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 10:41 AM   #2
tummyman

Default I switched

I made the switch from a PC to the MAC "cold turkey" last April. For the last year, I have been in heaven with my "Apple". My machine runs as fast today as the day I took it out of the box. No virus stuff to run, etc. etc. It just works. Set up was relatively easy for me.....I was not a whiz kid but did have PC experience. Their software is terrific...there version of Word, Excel, and Powerpoint (all part of their iWorks 09 suite) are even better than the Microsoft stuff, once you get used to using them. And the cost for the software I think is only $79. They just introduced a new operating system called Snow Leopard....and when they did, the upgrade was $29....compare that to what Microsoft wants for their OS upgrades. If you do buy a MAC, I would recommend getting their 3 year extended warranty...but I bought mine off EBAY at a substantial reduction in price...and all you get is a serial number to load...no discs, etc., so EBAY saved me about $150 by buying this service extension vs. getting it with the PC. I even went and bought 3 used Mac's at Christmas for my grandkids and son...they are now all using them and have given up their desktop PC.s I bought the MACBOOK PRO, as I did not need a desktop, but the Imac is a sweet machine if you use a desktop more..and less expensive. Also, if you are a little hesitant, for $99 you can get a year of hands on training in there stores...one on one. You may have to go to Manchester for an Apple official store, but it is worth the trip. If you o nothing else, go to an Apple Store and play with the machines with a rep before you decide. I will NEVER go back to a PC. These machines are fast as heck..... and I am retired to boot.

Last edited by tummyman; 04-29-2010 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Add another comment
tummyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 10:43 AM   #3
tummyman

One last thing, Lakes Region Computer in Moultonborough services MACS>.they sell MAC stuff as well.
tummyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 01:25 PM   #4
Shedwannabe

Lets just say - do you know anyone who went from a Mac to a PC?

I had to use a PC a word for several years - what a pain to use. The missus and I own 4 Macs between us - simple, quick, easy to use. Unless there is a specific rare program that you use that words better on a Mac (there are a few), the change is easy - its like when I went from worrying a lot to not worrying (after my cancer treatment....).

I have iMac, Mac Book and miniMac, and have had several previous Macs going back into the early 90's.

I don't particularly like the hubris at Apple, the company operates like a gorilla when it doesn't like what developers are doing, but its like Japanese cars were in the 90's - much better quality, much less concern about breakdowns, etc.
Shedwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 02:19 PM   #5
brk-lnt

It sort of depends on what you use your computer for.

If the majority of your use is email, web-browsing, basic "office" apps (word processing, spread sheets, etc.) then the transition is pretty simple. The Mac OS (OS X) is a mouse-based point-and-click interface like Windows. Some of the things are in different places, and the method to install a new application is a little different (I think it's easier), so there are some learning curve things, but nothing too drastic.

If you use some really odd, archaic, or highly specialized applications (like maybe an old accounting program) you may find there is not a close equivalent that you can switch to without a learning curve.

So, if you're a "normal" computer user, then switching to a Mac will likely be simple. Your total cost of ownership, and total headache factor will be lower over time as well.

I've used PC's, linux, Solaris (Sun), Mac, and a few other systems over the years, I find that the Macs are the best blend of functionality and usability.
Pepper (04-29-2010)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2010, 03:58 PM   #6
VtSteve

I switched for home use back in 2000, I have three including a notebook now, and the original one still runs fine as well. At the office, I switched 100% a little over a year ago. I still have to administer the old Windows network. But trying to deal with switching old legacy systems to W7 is proving very expensive, not to mention costly.

It certainly does depend on what you rely on for software. But I don;t miss the registry corruptions, performance degradation, OS reinstalls, etc.. This all costs time and money. We are seriously thinking of just sticking with XP for the project, or ditching what we have to avoid costly license changes and system recoding.

Most people in offices could easily get away with simple machine. I can connect to any Windows network faster and easier from my Mac, strangely enough. I'm pretty sick of working on and around computers, which I have done for almost thirty years.
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 04:59 PM   #7
Lakepilot

I dropped my 6 year old Dell laptop one too many times about 2 months ago and bought a MackBookPro. The switch was very simple. I really like the way Mac handles networks. With the PC it was a bear just logging onto an new wifi network or using our aircard. It's so simple with the Mac. I use e mail, word processing, excel spreadsheets, calendars, address books, and slingplayer. They all function much better on the Mac and the transition was easy. I also used ITunes and Photoshop on the PC. They work much easier on the Mac. If I have questions I can go into a Mac store and speak to a live human that knows what they're talking about. That was tough with the Dell.

I wish I dropped my Dell laptop 2 years ago.
Lakepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 05:52 PM   #8
Pepper

A few years back there were very few mac users here on the forum. Slowly but surely, one by one we've begun to migrate. I have to say that using a mac is far easier than I would have ever imagined, the transition was swift too! I love my macbook and will never go back!
Old 04-29-2010, 06:50 PM   #9
Pineedles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shedwannabe View Post
Lets just say - do you know anyone who went from a Mac to a PC?

I had to use a PC a word for several years - what a pain to use. The missus and I own 4 Macs between us - simple, quick, easy to use. Unless there is a specific rare program that you use that words better on a Mac (there are a few), the change is easy - its like when I went from worrying a lot to not worrying (after my cancer treatment....).

I have iMac, Mac Book and miniMac, and have had several previous Macs going back into the early 90's.

I don't particularly like the hubris at Apple, the company operates like a gorilla when it doesn't like what developers are doing, but its like Japanese cars were in the 90's - much better quality, much less concern about breakdowns, etc.
I went from Apple's IIC to PC. Does that count?
Pineedles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 07:11 PM   #10
Chickie

Default Macs 7, PC's 0

Thanks so much for your helpful comments. I was feeling a bit uneasy thinking I might be getting in over my head in making the switch. I am just a home user, doing the simplest of things - web surfing, e-mail, word processing (Word) for the most part. I enjoy music and have Windows Media Player at present. I guess the equivalent of that is iTunes, which is probably similar. Sounds like the change would be for the good and not too difficult
Chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 06:29 PM   #11
no-engine

I've had Macs since 1991! Have one PC for something dedicated and it's a real pain to maintain. As Andy Rooney said, why must you click the start button to shut it off?
Some program manufacturers will charge only the upgrade price when you want the upped version but on the other platform. Ask them instead of buying all new apps.
Apple has great telephone support. As another said, DO buy the Apple Care Program. It's easy to make an appointment at an Apple Store for help doing things. Rockingham and now in Nashua for NH.

BTW. iTunes is also free for a PC. However, if you have an iPhone and a MobileMe account, you can wirelessly sync contacts, calenders, emails, etc. with a Mac machine. Great time savers!
no-engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 11:59 PM   #12
Argie's Wife

I run Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X, on my iMac....when Mac came out with the pentium core 2 duo processors, they made so that you can boot up in the operating system of your choice or run windows or another operating system with Mac OS X, like they were a virtual machine. I enjoy my iMac and have been a Mac user for five years now.

what makes Macs easier, in my opinion is that you have the same company who designed the computer also designing the main operating system.... Where as with Windows you have one operating system on many, many computer brands... macs just work.

Typed on an iPad.
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote