Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2018, 01:21 PM   #1
Onshore

Default Ice damage

Unfortunately it seems that this winter has been a particularly bad one in terms of ice damage. We have seen damage to both structures and shorelines. Dock repairs that involve work below the waterline and shoreline stabilization projects do require Wetland Permitting. If you find that your dock or frontage has been damaged please note the following:
  • If you have had a permit to build or repair a structure within the past 5 years you can use that same permit to repair that structure this spring. Permits, including PBN's, are valid for 5 years and can be extended to 10 years provided that they have not yet expired. Permit Extensions are requested using a form available on the NHDES Wetland Bureau Website.
  • If your dock was severely damaged and there is a risk of debris floating off and becoming a boating hazard, please take photographs of the damage and remove those materials that may drift away. A permit is not needed for the removal of debris provided that it does not involve dredging, fill or the use of mechanized equipment in the water. You will want to submit the photographs with your Wetland Permit Application. It may be advised that you hold on to the debris long enough to determine the measurements of the structure to be repaired if you do not have plans of the structures available.
  • If you find that the shoreline itself has been pushed or rolled back and is at risk of serious erosion once the water is open enough for waves to build, please contact the Department of Environmental Services at (603) 271-2147 about obtaining an Emergency Authorization to do what ever work is need to temporarily stabilize the situation while you developing a long-term stabilization plan and obtaining a permit for the final project. You will need to have a plan from the temporary stabilization measures, i.e. sandbags, curtains, cofferdams.

Please don't hesitate to call the number above if you have any questions. Hopefully most of you won't need to deal with us this spring but for those who do we will try to get you what you need to limit the damage as expeditiously as we can. The sooner we can get folks to check their properties and identify their needs the better.

Sincerely,
D. Forst
Shoreland Section Supervisor
NHDES Land Resource Management Programs
Attached Images

Last edited by Onshore; 04-20-2018 at 02:37 PM.
Onshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 02:13 PM   #2
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Thanks

Shore Things, thanks for being proactive in getting this information out to those landowners who may be in need. Extremely helpful post.

Dave
Old 04-21-2018, 02:57 PM   #3
Pineedles

shore things, sorry about the damage you sustained. On another note, I don't think I've ever seen a home so close to the shoreline. The foundation must have been built 100 years ago.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 08:34 PM   #4
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,135 Times in 889 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
shore things, sorry about the damage you sustained. On another note, I don't think I've ever seen a home so close to the shoreline. The foundation must have been built 100 years ago.
Shore Things works for DES wetlands. I do not think that is her property, but merely a picture of someones property posted for the information of the public.

If it is her waterfront property then DES must pay a lot better than I thought!
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 05:20 AM   #5
jacka82942

Default dock damage

many of our docks had posts split in lake ridge on meredith bay
jacka82942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2018, 07:33 AM   #6
Onshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
It's not mine. It just happened to be next door to a site we were looking at.
Onshore is offline   Reply With Quote