Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Fish Tales
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2006, 05:24 PM   #1
ITD

Just clicked the link at the top of this web page and got my fishing license. Hopefully go fishing on Thursday, how do I catch a salmon?
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 08:41 PM   #2
shooter

Talking salmon

try throwing a rooster tail 3/8 oz gold blade green body keep casting youll hook up sooner or later
shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 06:27 AM   #3
Lakegeezer

Default Live Smelt

Get some live smelt, put a number 10 hook through their lips (don't go through their brain - which you can clearly see), and troll slowly with about 50-100 yards of 4-6 lb test line out. Look for other boats trolling to find the hot spots, or check the maps for shallow areas followed by steep drop-offs. For the first 10 days after ice-out, the salmon are shallow - often in only 5 feet of water. Good luck!
Old 04-05-2006, 10:04 AM   #4
Grant

Default Book Recommendation

After receiving Dr. Hal Lyons' book "Angling in the Smile of the Great Spirit," from my wife, I started getting interested in salmon fishing. I've been fishing Winni for bass and other "summer" fish my entire life, but had never really tried for lakers or salmon.

The section of the book dedicated to the learnings of the "master anglers" is really helpful, and tells what they use during different times of the year, what depths, how fast, etc. The salmon fishing is an entirely different discipline, with things like lead-core line, planer boards, downriggers, smelt, and lures such as Mooselook Wobblers.

Despite getting skunked over three days last spring, I will try my hand again. The goal remains to have a salmon on the grill one evening.

Lyons' book is a good read, whether you're an angler or not.

Also -- a really good resource, with tons of information and sage advice from locals who "know their stuff" -- www.fishlakewinni.com. The guy who runs the site also runs a fishing charter on the Lake, and would surely take you to some salmon!

Good luck, and tight lines.
Old 04-05-2006, 07:07 PM   #5
Sculpin

Default Advice for catching a Salmon or Trout

All the info you could ever want will be found at
www.fishlakewinni.com
this site has become the "unofficial" source for the cold-water fisherman of lake winnipesaukee
Sculpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2006, 08:30 PM   #6
Maddog7337@att.net

Default Salmon

ITD,

First of all, there are lots of methods (& yes, some actually work!) I've fished Winnie for years but am still learning...& like all stubborn fishermen (you mean, there's another kind???) I figure my method is better. (Hey, it works for me.)
I'm totally with "Geezer" -troll slow with live bait, (I use a larger hook but, from my experience, that part don't really matter all that much.) Just do it slowly... (hey, it's a metaphor for life!) I go <1/2 mph, if you don't have speedometer...that's real slow [U] in shallow water 'cause the season is still early & the H20 is very cold.
I usually go somewhat deeper in the middle of the day (especially if the sun is shining.) I switch to various plugs, spoons, flies and yet, I still favor live bait most of all & I increase speed & depth as water warms up & the season progresses.
I did well Monday PM (largest salmon went 22 1/2 in.) Also, had a huge bald eagle fly right over my boat!! AWESOME!
& Yes INDEED to all the rave reviews here about the excellent book Angling in the Smile of the Great Spirit. Dr. Lyons did real well (not bad for a ring knocker.)

All the Best,

Gary (Maddog)
Maddog7337@att.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 07:55 PM   #7
Lakegeezer

Default Is everyone catching something?

Today, we landed a nice lake trout and a big bass. The water is getting warm fast. It seemed a bit slow for april 15'th, but then its just after full moon, when the fishing is supposed to be slow. What have you been catching?
Old 04-16-2006, 06:53 AM   #8
ITD

Not me, not yet. Unfortunately my time on the lake is limited right now. I did make it up a week ago Thursday in the afternoon. I took my 12 foot row boat with an 8 hp ob. I trolled out just beyond Center Harbor but the wind was howling, I wanted to go further but decided it was too windy. I trolled for about 2 hours. Felt a few bumps but caught nothing. Might be able to get up next week, do I still have a chance for a salmon, or is it getting too warm?
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote