Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Fish Tales
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-27-2005, 08:27 PM   #1
rap4

Default Smallmouth Fishing

We are making our annual trip to Lake Winni for smallies during the second week of June. We are fishing once again in the Alton Bay area and would like to know what effect the cold weather has had on smallmouth fishing. We have two weeks for the temp to get into the 60's but that might be a strech. Does anyone know if the water temp is warmer on the smaller lakes in the immediate area. Any recommendations?
rap4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 05:19 AM   #2
Jonas Pilot

Water temps on "Winni" have been up and down the whole spring. Early this week the temp in the main body of the lake outside of Wolfeboro was 47 degrees. In the northern part, Moultonboro and Center Harbor areas it was 52. Last week it was 3 degrees warmer. Wednesday and Thursday the temps had dropped another 2 degrees. The warmest water I could find was in the 50 degree range. On Squam Friday the temp was 52. All this has moved the smallmouths on and off the flats. It has slowed the fishing down but there's still some fish to be caught twitching stick baits and slow swimming grubs around the edges of the flats. A few days of sun should really turn things around. The smaller water bodies are warmer but still have been affected by this crazy weather. A nor' easter in late May? Wow! Don't give up on Winni yet.
Jonas Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 06:31 AM   #3
b8tcaster

If the smallies have moved shallow a jerkbait such as a Husky Jerk or Lucky Craft pointer 78 is hard to beat. I prefer the pointer in ghost minnow or chartreuse shad colors. My favorite this time of year though would be a 3/4 oz. Silver buddy. I dont think any other lure can put as many fish in the boat as quickly as this one. Its extremely popular with tournament fisherman but I dont think it has caught on with recreational fishermen yet. I took a friend and his son out for a few hours a couple weeks ago who had heard of it but never tried them before and we had a blast catching a bunch of smallies from 1-1/2 to 3lbs. Are you planning on fishing just Alton Bay or other areas of the lake also? I can give you specific areas to try if i know what part of the lake you will be on.Email me if you would like specific info on areas or techniques and I would be glad to help. (b8tcaster@comcast.net)
b8tcaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 07:10 AM   #4
JDeere

Default Silver buddy

I assume that you use the gold versus the silver on Winni??
JDeere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 04:07 AM   #5
b8tcaster

Default Silver Buddy

I actually prefer chrome but will also use the gold if the fish seem to prefer that color. I also will throw the firetiger, craw, and white with blue back at times. I do like to start out with gold on overcast days though.
b8tcaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-2005, 09:35 AM   #6
snowbird

Default Fishing the smallie beds

The beds have finally begun to yield nesting bass along our island's shoreline. While legal to catch and release [in NH] during the spawn, it is unethical, IMO, to fish the shallow bass beds. Over the long term this practice can't be a good thing. I watched half a dozen bass boats doing this yesterday-----and it's not even the weekend.

With the cold water making for a late start to the spawn and many bass being pulled of their nests [repeatedly, until they give up the battle] this season's hatch is problematic.
snowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 06:36 AM   #7
Kona Family

I agree. My son and I fished off our dock and probably caught the same smallie two maybe three times. Then we had a series of more than three bass boats come by and they too kept catching the same fish over and over. I can't imagine the spring spawning is that rewarding vs. getting hooked two or three times a day. So what did we do, we didn't fish Sunday and my son had fun feeding crawlers to the two bass on their beds on either side of our dock so they wouldn't be hungry to hit the lures.
Kona Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 09:13 AM   #8
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Question Bass & Free Fishing Day in New Hampshire

Free Fishing Day happens to fall during a time when you have to catch and release any bass that you might catch.
I don't think that is an accident.

My mom was psyched to try her hand at fishing. She was hoping to have her first taste of bass, until I read the rules for this time of year. Not that we had any luck anyway. Only one lure was lost, but we sure had a great time.

Do bass move around or do they stay in one area? I keep seeing them surface in the same spot. Could these be the same fish over and over? How old can they get?

Hey Grant, when are you having that rock bass fish fry? We’re still waiting!
Do they taste as good as the other bass?
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 06:56 PM   #9
ApS

Question

Since keeping a large 150-gallon aquarium, I've lost my former interest in fishing; however, I watch a lot of large fish off my dock-- which has become an aquarium.

I see some with white lips, others with red pectoral fins, still others with reddish tailfins. Catfish, sunnies, and pickerel are not an identification problem, but it's as if some other, new, fish have "moved in".

In the past, fallfish, bass, and roach (slender with coarse silvery scales) have been caught here. Some "newbies" appear to be large but stocky, with coarse silver scales. Smallmouth bass I've seen described as "bronzeback", but all the bass I see from above appear to be olive-colored. Some are schooling in numbers of 10's and 20's -- I think they're bass.

Can someone give me some pointers as to how to identify large (2 pounds+) Winnipesaukee fish from above?

(I don't want to hear about rock bass).

Old 06-08-2005, 06:29 AM   #10
JohnNH

Default NH F&G Fishing Guide

Acres Per Second,

The following link will bring you to the NHF&G Fishing Guide booklet which includes fish ID pages.

John/NH
NHF&G Fishing Digest
JohnNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 12:18 PM   #11
Finder

Default Finder

I watched a Bass Bed fisherman this morning. I said hello and watched him catch a bass from it's nest. He released it with a little trouble. Maybe a straight shanked hook. I hope not a treble hook. Later I saw a dead bass floating near my dock. Not making any judgements, but is this a sport?
Finder is offline   Reply With Quote