Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 11-22-2013, 07:27 PM   #1
NoBozo

Default JFK: Where were you..

I was a 21 year old sailor stationed on board a Destroyer Tender in Norfolk, Va. I think we got the word some time just after noon chow. 11:30..12:30. .....

I didn't believe it. I suggested to my shipmates that HE had gone underground for some reason. This was just after the Cuban Missile Crisis. At that time I had NO Idea what "Politics" was. None of us did. Just Remembering. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 08:21 PM   #2
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,002 Times in 915 Posts

I was in an engineering class at UCONN, fluid dynamics, listening to the prof drone on abut Reynolds number and fluid flow over a flat plate. It was about 15 min before the hour, 5 min of class left on a Friday afternoon. Sitting near the window looking out at the mall and steps of the Student Union I saw a quickly gathering crowd. Suddenly someone ran down the hall shouting “Kennedy has been shot”! The prof says “Sit down we have 5 min to go”. No way, we were out of there to join the crowd and listen to the radio being broadcast over the PA. Faces were frozen in silent disbelief. We just stood there not knowing what to do.

Then on Sunday morning I was at home with my parents in Torrington watching live TV from Dallas. They were bringing the killer out. A man lunged toward the killer and then chaos.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 09:36 PM   #3
Flylady

Like most still today those moments afterwards and the days to follow still bring up very deep emotion. I was at school, 5th grade class when they turned on the class intercoms with the news cast saying Kennedy was shot. Shortly thereafter we were dismissed early from school and ran home. Very scarred. First time I ever saw my father cry when we all sat and watched TV.
Flylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 10:42 PM   #4
rick35

I was in the third grade. I heard something about it on the bus home but it didn't mean a lot to me. What I remember was that my piano lesson was canceled.

I remember nothing about the Cuban missile crisis or the other events that took place in the early 60's. My parents did a good job not letting on about what were very worrisome times.
rick35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 05:36 AM   #5
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,054 Times in 497 Posts

Living in Saugus, MA. I was in 7th grade, they made an announcement for everyone to return to our homerooms. The principle came on the overhead and announced the shooting.

The rumors were flying all over the map, it was the Russians, or the Mafia. What was really amazing to watch yesterday was all of the old video recordings of the news reports. Some of the on air news reporters or the people being interviewed were smoking on air.

I've been to the exhibit in Dallas, while you can't get to the actual window that Oswald shot from, because the actual window in inside a sealed off plexiglass exhibit, you can get to a window just a few feet away that is outside the sealed area. The shots weren't long range the car was almost directly under the window. Before seeing it in-person I always thought this guy Oswald must have gotten lucky.
Old 11-23-2013, 06:27 AM   #6
Lacpicguy

I was in a 10th grade math class when it was announced he had been shot. I walked home afterwards and stayed glued to the TV to get all the latest news.
Lacpicguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 06:48 AM   #7
fatlazyless

Was in 7th grade metal-working class in Newton Centre, Mass, John W Weeks Junior High School, and my teacher, a 50-something guy from Alabama commented that it looks like the president got what was coming to him. Class was interrupted and everyone went back to their home room, and school was let out early.
Old 11-23-2013, 07:01 AM   #8
rgilfert

I was sitting in 7th grade Math class at the Turn Of The River Junior High School in Stamford, CT when the news came over the intercom...it's one of the few moments in time that I will never forget!!
rgilfert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 07:02 AM   #9
fpartri497

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Was in 7th grade metal-working class in Newton Centre, Mass, John W Weeks Junior High School, and my teacher, a 50-something guy from Alabama commented that it looks like the president got what was coming to him. Class was interrupted and everyone went back to their home room, and school was let out early.

Ur teacher was a bigot and an Idiot

Old 11-23-2013, 09:33 AM   #10
PHDIII

I was in 9th grade Advanced Science class at Clara Bryant (Ford) Jr. HS in Dearborn, Mich. The classroom phone rang; it was the principal calling each teacher individually. Our teacher hung up the phone and calmly said the President had been shot in Dallas and that school was immediately dismissed. Being a Friday I stopped by the gym to pick up my dirty gym clothes on the way out. My P.E. teacher was in his office, feet up on the desk, reading the paper. I asked if he had heard the news that President Kennedy had been shot and he gruffly told me I should know better than to joke about something like that...these were not days one could talk back to teachers. I walked home; my mother was very quiet and hugged my brother and me. We spent the weekend like everyone else glued to the 18 inch B&W TV.
PHDIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 02:02 PM   #11
Nagigator

I was in second grade...........they sent us home. I saw my Mom crying and was confused, at first I thought my Dad had died. She was a big supporter of JFK, and was heartbroken. We spent the weekend watching TV, too.
Nagigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 04:58 PM   #12
ghfromaltonbay

Default 11/22/63

I was in 6th grade and our teacher was called out of the classroom by another of the 6th grade teachers a little before 2 pm. They spoke briefly in the hall and our teacher returned and kept going with the lesson as if nothing was out of the ordinary. Our usual dismissal time was 3:30, and we wondered what was up when the teacher starting wrapping up just past 3. He then told us about President Kennedy and mentioned that is why the other teacher stopped to speak with him. He explained that if he had told us at 2 pm the rest of the day's lessons wouldn't have been done. I don't know how the class would have reacted if we had been told at 2 pm, but telling us right at dismissal time meant we all just left for the weekend in stunned silence.

That night at dinner my father who worked for NJ Bell told us how the entire office he worked in suddenly seized up as every phone line went busy. This only happened when there was some momentous event. Dad used his work line to call my mother at home to ask if something had happened. Mom had been listening to the radio and told Dad the news about Dallas. I guess everyone in Paterson was trying to call someone to relay the news or discuss the tragedy. It's amazing looking back 50 years before computer use and the internet how long it took for news like this to get to everyone.
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 07:51 PM   #13
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghfromaltonbay View Post
I guess everyone in Paterson was trying to call someone to relay the news or discuss the tragedy. It's amazing looking back 50 years before computer use and the internet how long it took for news like this to get to everyone.
I grew up in Paterson (NJ) before I went in the Navy. Graduated Paterson East Side HS... June 1959. Went in the NAVY in July. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 09:24 PM   #14
WakeboardMom

I was 6 (the same age as Caroline) and heard the news on the bus ride home from school.

My mom had met JFK when he campaigned for Congress. My family is Boston Irish and they were big fans of him.

I knew it was a big deal because the TV stayed on and we all watched as the vents unfolded. The console TV was dragged into the kitchen during what was usually a family-only Sunday dinner.

I'll never forget that weekend...in my mind it's all black and white images.
Old 11-24-2013, 08:58 AM   #15
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

I was 4 years old. Too young to know anything about anything......
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 10:24 AM   #16
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Day to remember

I was in 7th grade at Memorial Jr High School in Laconia. The principal, James Noucas, made the announcement over the intercom. We were dismissed for the day. The room fell into silence as we wait for the teacher to say something. The teacher, I can't recall, had quite a moment as he stared at his desk. Someone in the classroom spoke up and the teacher says we are dismissed.
Some students were shocked, but the majority of us weren't really into politics, and welcome the early release. I walked to the YMCA and played basketball until my mother picked me and my brother up.
My Mom and Dad were very shooked up over the event. This is when I realize how serious this was and began for the first time following the national news and politics.
Old 11-24-2013, 12:46 PM   #17
trfour

Default A Tragic Loss

I got home to East Bridgewater Ma from work at Taunton Engineering Works and everyone was in the living room watching the news. Very sad times indeed for our whole Country and the World. President Kennedy’s brilliant insight and leadership was way ahead of the times. I lost all interest in politics during the happenings, and with loosing Bobby Kennedy as well. Something I know I will never forget.

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 09:36 PM   #18
WakeboardMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakesrider View Post
I was 4 years old. Too young to know anything about anything......
Interesting remark. I had posted on FB that I wonder if I'll be the last one in the nursing home who remembers. I was 6 and remember it fairly well...you say that at 4 you don't remember at all. Folks my age may well be the last ones who remember. (1957...the most babies born in the U.S. until the record was broken by a slight margin in 2007.)
Old 11-25-2013, 11:39 AM   #19
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

My mother was carrying me still- born March of 64
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 12:39 PM   #20
loony

I was in parochial school. I remember the vice principal barging into the classroom, crying whispering to our teacher then they both began crying together. It was the 1st time I witnessed emotion from sisters (nuns). School was dismissed shortly thereafter. I also remember having to watch the never ending funeral on TV. That incessant drum beat and images of that very frisky rider less horse is etched in my brain. I was only a kid, but I sensed that we had suffered a great loss. A loss of that great inspiration and hope that Kennedy expressed in his speeches.
loony is offline   Reply With Quote