Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 02-18-2004, 08:49 AM   #1
TM

Default Cow Island Restaurant

Does anyone have the name and phone number of the private restaurant on Cow Island? Want to have a large family dinner there this summer.
Old 02-18-2004, 10:08 AM   #2
GWC...

Default Re: Cow Island Restaurant

Re: water access restaurants
Posted By: Jane
Date: Tuesday, May 9, 2000 at 12:14 p.m.
In Response To: Re: water access restaurants (Cherie)

It's one of those best kept secrets on Cow. The questions surfaces about this time every year. Mama Lucy's usually serves a four or five course meal. You don't choose from a menu. It runs from early July til about Labor Day on Friday and Saturday nights (I think). You need to bring about 20 people with you. It's like booking for a function. Just two people can't decide to go to dinner there. You need to fill the entire place with your group. I believe you plan to arrive around 6:00 - 6:30 and leave by about 9:30. There is one group per night.I believe the phone number is 253-4440. Ask for Peter.

http://www.winnipesaukeeforum.com/ar...cgi?read=10732

Last edited by webmaster; 06-19-2008 at 11:32 AM. Reason: fixed link
Old 02-18-2004, 11:01 AM   #3
Zanne

Default Peter at 253-4440

Old 02-18-2004, 02:39 PM   #4
Drummer Boy

Default Re: Cow Island Restaurant

We went with a group of 26 last summer and already have reservations to go again this summer. It is fantastic. Make your reservations early.
Old 04-14-2004, 01:39 PM   #5
wadden

Smile Please verify Peter's phone #

I have called the 253-4440 number numerous times and it rings and rings with no answer. Is this number correct? I have a group to schedule for August and have heard terrific reviews about Mama Lucy's.

Thanks!!
wadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2004, 03:43 PM   #6
Ambassador RAI

Default cow island restaurant

The phone number appears correct, however it is the phone number to the place on the island. The reason it keeps ringing with no answer is that no one is there right now as it is nearly impossible to get to the island at this time (without a hover craft or similar device for transport over ice and water). Try again on the weekends after ice out. Good luck.
Ambassador RAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 09:07 PM   #7
Just Wonderin

You may not be able to reach anyone until the middle of June, just keep giving the number a call once a week or so. Sooner or later, they'll arrive. As an earlier post stated, the number you're calling is on the island. They don't start having dinners until after the 4th of July if I remember correctly and they are done by mid August.
Just Wonderin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 05:27 PM   #8
Yes, Dear

Good luck, we've been trying for years. We had everybody lined up and several people calling on a weekly basis. Sounds like fun. Just wish we could get in.
Yes, Dear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 10:35 AM   #9
SIKSUKR

Default Cow Island restaurant

I had the pleasure of dining at the restaurant on Cow Island on Saturday night. I've been hearing about this place for a few years and was looking forward to going there. The seating is from 6-9 pm and we arrived at a little before six. About 16 of us took the Winni Taxi (Winnipesaukee Tours) from the Weirs area so we wouldn't have to worry about returning late after consuming a few beverages. The place is located in a nice little cove across from Ragged Island. The building is your typcial 80 year old(I'm guessing) lake house with a large porch along the whole front of the building. This is where the dining tables are set up. Appetizers were set out in different areas, one being on top of and old boathouse that had a few small one room cabins up there also. Those served as the bathrooms. Appetizers were also set out on an area near the lake that had a clearing with a few Adirondack chairs looking out over the water. I'm not much of a connoisseur so I couldn't tell you exactly what we had. Some items were fried fish strips(I can't remember what it was) but it looked like calamari. Also there was rolled up either mortadella or prosciutto with a creamy cheese type filling that was great. Plenty of veggie type mixes for the vegetarians out there. The dinner bell rang out and it was off to the porch for dinner. The first item to come to out end of one of the tables was a sliced medium rare beef that was wonderful. That was followed by a medley that had chicken, sausage, peppers, onoins, and other things I'm sure I'm leaving out but I loved it! We then were served a penne pasta with a tomato sauce. Dessert followed, which I passed on but I did see cake being eaten.
I would never make it as a food critic but all of the food was very good. I believe some of the dishes were requested. This place has a ton of character and I felt pretty lucky to have been invited. (Thanks Seapilot)
I believe you must book the whole place and there is a waiting list. We had 48 friends and family(not mine) there and had a wonderful time.
We finished off the night at the hosts camp on a nearby island having a great ole time at the Tiki hut. (thanks again) Finally the Winni taxi showed up sometime after 11pm for our ride back to the Weirs area. Of course we were all feeling a little "happy" so we ended up dancing the whole ride back to the sounds of Jimmy Buffet. What a great night. If you get the chance you must try this. SS
Old 06-27-2005, 11:54 AM   #10
Yes, Dear

Default Mama Luci's

Thanks to this forum I had the great fortune of being invited to Mama Luci's last year. My small group of friends had been trying to get in for years without luck. I had replied to a thread about the place two years ago complaining that we couldn't even get a call back. Out of the blue last July I got an email from someone who's group got lucky and were asked to fill in for an unexpected opening at restaurant. They were a few people short of their required number of guests so in order to fill the gap she looked at the old thread and found me. Needless to say, we jumped on it.

SIKSUKR had it nailed. The place is great. The atmosphere can't be beat. The family that serves really seems to love what they do. It is truly an experience that you won't ever forget.

Because there were only 6 of us in my party we were vastly outnumbered, but I think that made it even better because we met so many great new people. There must be something in the water because we danced the whole way home too.

Jane, if you're out there, please invite us back! We're hooked but not yet hooked in.
Yes, Dear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 06:55 AM   #11
SIKSUKR

Thanks OD for the name of the place. I actually didn't know what it was till I just read your post now. I've been thinking all week about the great night we had at Mama Luci's and can't wait till the next time. One thing I'm upset about is that I didn't bring my camera. I could go back to take pictures of the property but I'd be missing all of the people that were there that night. SS
Old 06-29-2005, 07:46 AM   #12
Seaplane Pilot

Default The "Official" name of the place is....

..."Gus' Lodge".

Never heard the name Mama Luci's before, although Gus' wife was named Luci (or Lucy?). Whatever the name is does not matter. What matters is the great food, great staff and great friends that make the night one hell of a good time.
Seaplane Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote