Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Diving Winnipesaukee
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-26-2011, 06:26 PM   #1
Greg26

Default We can't dive the Gov. Endicott????

Followed the coordinates today and found that they are INSIDE the prohibited area of the Laconia drinking supply. The fine is $ 500 for human contact with the water in that area.

Am I missing something?

Greg
Greg26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 09:05 PM   #2
Senter Cove Guy

Default True

Unfortunately, that is correct.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:11 AM   #3
Greg26

That is a shame. I was all suited up and ready to go when an Irwin Marine boat came by and pointed out the signage that I had missed. Would have been embarassing for a State Rep to get fined for diving in a public water supply (even if 100 yards east is okay).

We should start a list on ONE thread with all the wrecks suitable for diving with rankings of easy, medium, hard and let it be the diving bible.

I'd like to see the same for all NH. Sunappee has a number of nice dives I'm told. Anyone?
Greg26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 06:17 AM   #4
Belmont Resident

Default I doubt you would have any trouble.

I'm not saying I condone it but there are people water skiing, tubing and swimming in that area all the time. Ever since I've stored now launch my boat down in Lakeport I've seen people in the water in that area.
Of course diving is different as you'll be spending much more time in that one spot so you are easier to catch.
Good luck.
Belmont Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 10:19 AM   #5
fatlazyless

How about the Irwin Marina gasoline station for boats that's been an abutter neighbor just next door and down stream from the Laconia Water Works for the last 90-years? Like, here's the Laconia Water Works plant, and immediately next door is the marina that sells and fuels up boats with Citgo gasoline?
Old 06-27-2011, 12:19 PM   #6
SIKSUKR

Default Key words

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
How about the Irwin Marina gasoline station for boats that's been an abutter neighbor just next door and down stream from the Laconia Water Works for the last 90-years? Like, here's the Laconia Water Works plant, and immediately next door is the marina that sells and fuels up boats with Citgo gasoline?
You already answered your own question.
Old 06-27-2011, 04:07 PM   #7
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Irwin, Lakeport Landing and Paugus Bay Marina

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Are all downstream from the public water intake. As long as the dam is open, any gas, oil and other contaminants will be flowing away from the intake. The only one that bothers me is the jetski rentals behind John's Corvette Service. I don't think he should be allowed to fill the jetskis near the water.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:09 PM   #8
Winnipesaukee Divers

I dove the Endicott several times, in fact, on the last dive there we made the decision to raise the boat and move it further out. But we made the mistake of asking permission and they threw a hissy fit. They started citing water tribity and all sorts of other unfounded reasons to keep us out. So, we gave up and moved on to other adventures.

If you never get to see it, don't despair, it just another old wooden hull (about 65' long) with port holes in the sides, all the other components have long since been stripped. Actually, it' not much different than the Lady, just shorter.

If you just really have to see it, then go there when no one else wants to be there....
Winnipesaukee Divers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 07:35 PM   #9
Winnipesaukee Divers

Default More to the point...

Back to the story, I was cut off when I accidental hit the enter key. Maybe, I should try typing without my dive gloves on...

The reason you can't dive there is; you'll kick up a massive silt cloud, which will clog up their intake filters sooner. Any gas or oil will float on the surface and will be disperse by wave action and evaporate won't be drawn into the intake. The intake pipe (6" PVC) is supported 3' off the bottom and about 20' down. It came apart one day and we had to dive down and re-attach it and add additional supports.

I don't know who is doing their work for them now, but I'm glad it's not me, the pipe is heavy and awkward to handle. you sure earn your money there. However, I did enjoy checking out the wreck and looking for artifacts when the mission was accomplished.
Winnipesaukee Divers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:05 AM   #10
Grant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipesaukee Divers View Post

If you just really have to see it, then go there when no one else wants to be there....
...or search around online for any video that may have been taken of the wreck...
Old 06-28-2011, 08:38 PM   #11
Senter Cove Guy

Default Here's A Link To A Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymXPVW44l78

Last edited by Senter Cove Guy; 01-08-2013 at 02:19 AM.
Senter Cove Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Senter Cove Guy For This Useful Post:
CTYankee (06-30-2011)