Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2010, 11:01 AM   #1
Sal

Default Dreary Weather

Weather such as we are having makes me crazy/bored/anxious/nuts. Does the same to our dog.(or maybe he's just reflecting what he sees).
Are any of you similarly affected (afflicted?) and, if so, what do you do about it, other than pulling the covers over your head and try to continue sleeping?
Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 11:30 AM   #2
Jeanzb1

Unhappy Rain

We hear ya', Sal, and feel the same as you do. Lots of projects indoors that we could be doing, but too bored and stir-crazy to do anything but look out the windows. We saw the Mount cruise by with hardly anyone even inside.
Feel sorry for those who have waited all year to take their week's vacation and now they're getting rained out.
Jeanzb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 12:38 PM   #3
Argie's Wife

This was supposed to be my vacation week and we were going to go camping. I had to cancel because I have too many town and school meetings to attend - no point in driving back and forth between camping and home. So, I almost feel good about canceling plans. Almost.
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 01:50 PM   #4
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

No one want to hear it but we really needed rain and the rest of the week looks fantastic!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
Lucky1 (08-26-2010), Meredith lady (08-26-2010)
Old 08-25-2010, 02:26 PM   #5
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanzb1 View Post
Feel sorry for those who have waited all year to take their week's vacation and now they're getting rained out.
Agreed for the Winni people.There is a certain person on the Vineyard this week that has had way more than a few weeks vaca that I don't feel sorry for.
Argie's Wife (08-25-2010), DRH (08-25-2010), hilltopper (08-26-2010), Jeanzb1 (08-25-2010), NoBozo (08-25-2010), Pepper (08-25-2010), Ryan (08-25-2010), tis (08-25-2010)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2010, 03:56 PM   #6
sky_nh

Do you think we've gotten spoiled this summer??? The weather has been so fantastic for the outdoors, it's something of a shock to have to close windows to keep from getting flooded.

I feel badly for anyone who has just this week to enjoy the Lake. But for those of us here year-round (or almost) our gardens and lawns needed the rain, not to mention the wooded areas so that fire hazards could be reduced.

-- Sky
sky_nh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 04:37 PM   #7
This'nThat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
There is a certain person on the Vineyard this week that has had way more than a few weeks vaca that I don't feel sorry for.
I was thinking the same thing, and saying to myself -- let it rain! HARD.
This'nThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 06:21 PM   #8
Ropetow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
Weather such as we are having makes me crazy/bored/anxious/nuts....Are any of you similarly affected (afflicted?) and, if so, what do you do about it, other than pulling the covers over your head and try to continue sleeping?

I've tried drinking heavily, but it is still raining.
Ropetow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 06:34 PM   #9
Rose

Default 8-month old puppy

I feel your pain, Sal. I've been trying to figure out ways to entertain the 8-month old, high-energy puppy for the past 4 days. Laser lights work pretty well...for a while.
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 08:56 PM   #10
mishelmeis

We're new this year to Rattlesnake Island. The lower parking lot for RSI was completely empty yesterday except for our cars! The lake sure is different in the rain. The kids and I are starting to get a little stir crazy. Glad it's s'pose to be nice tomorrow!
Old 08-25-2010, 10:04 PM   #11
Sal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose View Post
I feel your pain, Sal. I've been trying to figure out ways to entertain the 8-month old, high-energy puppy for the past 4 days. Laser lights work pretty well...for a while.
Be careful about having puppies chase the laser "dot" on the floor. Our dog, age 3, when a puppy, really enjoyed trying to catch the "dot". Now, he goes nuts whenever he sees a moving reflection, be it on the ceiling, walls or floor. I think I made him neurotic ... and his real owner (my wife) is sure of it.
Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 09:20 AM   #12
KonaChick

The rainy weather this week was not only well needed but also a small price to pay for the beautiful weekend coming up!!
KonaChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 09:50 AM   #13
LadyJane

Are any of you similarly affected (afflicted?) and, if so, what do you do about it, other than pulling the covers over your head and try to continue sleeping?[/QUOTE]

I am affected by rain and lack of sun, no doubt about it.
So yesteray I cleaned my refrigerator out, lol, which was not fun, but now I have a nice clean fridge and the sun is out !!!
On rainy days I still take walks as long as it isn't raining too hard, and little projects around the house keep my mind occupied. And there's always shopping, cooking something yummy, word games. However, I watch less and less t.v.....there is not much watching imho.
LadyJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 11:10 AM   #14
Newbiesaukee

I go online and check out the Forum. Drama,life-lessons,photography,history,food......what more do you need?
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 11:39 AM   #15
Lucky1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishelmeis View Post
We're new this year to Rattlesnake Island. The lower parking lot for RSI was completely empty yesterday except for our cars! The lake sure is different in the rain. The kids and I are starting to get a little stir crazy. Glad it's s'pose to be nice tomorrow!
Welcome to the lake! How old are the kids? We always used board games and cards. CatchPhrase is a great game but not for yourgsters. Would think high school age and adults.

How about those projects that need attention?

Sunny now so you are back in business! Wonderful that you are able to own a home while the kids are small. Hope it turns out to be all that you expected it to be.
Lucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 10:43 PM   #16
mishelmeis

two - 9 and 4.

we have so many projects that we are seriously contemplating NOT going home for the first week of school! i'm struggling w/ the three-day week, esp. since my older child has the same teacher, class, and kids as last year (looping, i think it what it's called).

thanks for the welcome. we LOVE it here!!!! going to love it even more once our fixer-upper is a little more, um, fixed!
Old 08-31-2010, 01:21 AM   #17
Lucky1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishelmeis View Post
two - 9 and 4.

we have so many projects that we are seriously contemplating NOT going home for the first week of school! i'm struggling w/ the three-day week, esp. since my older child has the same teacher, class, and kids as last year (looping, i think it what it's called).

thanks for the welcome. we LOVE it here!!!! going to love it even more once our fixer-upper is a little more, um, fixed!
Two of the rules for my kids went like this.... 1. "If school is in session, you are in school." 2. "If I hear from a teacher, you will hear from me." The two oldest went to Harvard and one of those to Stanford Business etc. No one got pregnant or did drugs etc.

Children look to their parents to know the difference between right and wrong. You would also be amazed to see how much more you appreciate your parents as you get older.

I am a bit biased in this case of skipping the first week of school as I taught 4th grade for three years after college. I think I would have found it hard to understand why a student was off working on his summer camp instead of being in school. Why start the year off on the wrong foot with the teacher, who will most likely grumble to the other teachers and perhaps the principal?

A lot happens in the first week of school.

I am glad you are loving you new home. When you are older you will remember these days fondly. You are lucky to have been able to purchase a home when the kids are small as I said before. Your family will have tons of fun as well as tons of work. A nine year old does quite well with a paint brush etc. Let them have a part in what you are doing and take pictures. It will be such fun to look back on this time later on.

Many parents walk their young children past my home on the way to the nearby school and see me out gardening. They want to know how the school is etc. I say the two things to want from a child are, !. Stay Alive and 2. "Try to be happy." Rarely is there a yearbook without a dedication to a lost classmate. Having a camp at the lake will bring much happiness into the lives of you and your family. Good luck and let me know how things go.
Lucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote