Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winni Wildlife
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 02-12-2012, 02:49 PM   #1
Water Camper

Default Animal put seeds under my pillow

Went up to the cottage this weekend and found a handful of some type of seeds under my pillow! No sign of any mice, nothing shredded, just seeds under the pillow ... and only on my side of the bed. Absolutely no sign of any animal having been in the building but we did have an Ermin underneath the building a few weeks back. Sure was hard to sleep that night and I warned my husband not to tough my face in the night or he'd probably loose his hand! Seriously, if anyone has any thoughts on this let me know! It's just wierd. Thanks!
Sue
Water Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 03:08 PM   #2
bclaker

You probably don't want to think of this, but whatever animal put the seeds there will probably be back to dine on his hidden snacks.
bclaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 03:18 PM   #3
Water Camper

Had the same thought! Hence the not sleeping so peacefully. We'll see if there are anymore next weekend. Hopefully on HIS side of the bed. He's laughing at me pretty hard as it is.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:31 PM   #4
ITD

I'm thinking mice, or possibly type of insect, are you sure they are seeds? I would set a few mouse traps to find out if it is mice, look along the walls for mouse turds, if you see a concentration put a trap there with the trigger side of the trap against the wall.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 03:54 PM   #5
Water Camper

Definitely some kind of seeds ... pretty uniform in size ... most about 1/4 inch long and about 2/16 inch wide, some a little smaller, and they were flat-ish and dark in color, kinda shiny and smooth. There were enough to fill the palm of my hand. I threw them away (and changed all the bedding!) but will keep some if I find more (hopefully not!) and try to identify them. Maybe from pinecones? We have tons of those around. I checked every inch of the bedroom and other rooms as well. No dropping of any kind, no sign of anything except the seeds. And yes, I put out four mouse traps before we left today. And now that I'm thinking back on finding them, I believe there was an indentation around those seeds like something sleeping there? Okay, now I'm freaking myself out! Imagination running wild.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2012, 03:57 PM   #6
ITD

Could have been a flying squirrel, I watched 3 or 4 collecting pine cones a few weeks ago in the yard. They grabbed them all and there were hundreds of them. Good luck.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:05 PM   #7
Jonas Pilot

Default Have you lost ...

... a tooth lately? Maybe it's from the "Tooth Fairy"? Things have been tough lately for ever body , don't 'ya know?
Jonas Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jonas Pilot For This Useful Post:
CateP (02-12-2012), pontoonbarge (02-13-2012)
Old 02-12-2012, 04:23 PM   #8
beagle

Default I think it be a mousie

It reminds me of when we bought our first house in the woods in CT. We unloaded all our boxes and then left to visit my mom in Indiana for Thanksgiving. When we returned and started unpacking boxes I found a cache of seeds inside two of the boxes in the kitchen. Sure enough, we had mice! Definitely buy some traps, load 'em up with peanut butter and place along the walls and see what turns up. Good Luck!
beagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 04:45 PM   #9
Water Camper

We're going on six years at this 100+ year old cottage and have only seen 2 bats inside, one on the floor and one IN the fireplace insert!

Jonas Pilot, I need the tooth fairy to leave me gold, not seeds. Perferraby a large sack of it!

And ITD, I'm thinking about what you said about flying squirells. My husband said something woke him up about 3 this morning ... some banging around. By the time he became fully awake and got up to look around, it had stopped. I hadn't thought about that until now as I slept through it. But it could have been whatever this thing is coming back for it's stash. Now I'm really not gonna sleep!
Old 02-12-2012, 05:23 PM   #10
RLW

Smile

Sounds to me as if the seeds are really hemlock cone seeds. I have never seen mice eating them before, but that doesn't mean they don't. The only thing I have seen eating them are the smaller birds, chipmunks and squirrels.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:43 PM   #11
Water Camper

RLW, you might be onto something. We have a big hemlock right outside of the bedroom. I thought that Chipmunks hibernate in the winter but maybe it's hanging out under the building for the winter? Could be what hubby heard this morning.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:51 PM   #12
Blue Thunder

Default Bat Guano???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Camper View Post
Definitely some kind of seeds ... pretty uniform in size ... most about 1/4 inch long and about 2/16 inch wide, some a little smaller, and they were flat-ish and dark in color, kinda shiny and smooth. There were enough to fill the palm of my hand. I threw them away (and changed all the bedding!) but will keep some if I find more (hopefully not!) and try to identify them. Maybe from pinecones? We have tons of those around. I checked every inch of the bedroom and other rooms as well. No dropping of any kind, no sign of anything except the seeds. And yes, I put out four mouse traps before we left today. And now that I'm thinking back on finding them, I believe there was an indentation around those seeds like something sleeping there? Okay, now I'm freaking myself out! Imagination running wild.
WC,

Are you sure it wasn't bat guano? Unlikely since it was under your pillow but it's possible.

BT
Old 02-12-2012, 07:09 PM   #13
Water Camper

I don't know what bat crap looks like but having had 2 in the building in 6 years, coupled with the banging around at 3 this morning ....
Old 02-12-2012, 07:49 PM   #14
bclaker

Default Bats

We had bat in one of our houses. We called the police. I had my scanner on. When he signed off, it was "This is Batman off at Dracula's Den". I kidded him about it, but he was not that happy that I heard him. He put a waste basket over the bat, who was on a curtain and slipped an LP record behind it and took him outside.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:04 PM   #15
RLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
WC,

Are you sure it wasn't bat guano? Unlikely since it was under your pillow but it's possible.

BT
I don't believe so as they hibernate don't they, at least the ones behind my shutters and in the bat house do.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:51 PM   #16
Blue Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLW View Post
I don't believe so as they hibernate don't they, at least the ones behind my shutters and in the bat house do.
That is true but with this unseasonably mild winter who knows??.....
I'm not trying to freak WC out, just offering a possibility.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:51 PM   #17
jeffatsquam

Have you had any work done on the cottage in the past year?

Sounds like a new point of entry
jeffatsquam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:29 AM   #18
Gavia immer

Smile

Quote:
RLW, you might be onto something. We have a big hemlock right outside of the bedroom. I thought that Chipmunks hibernate in the winter but maybe it's hanging out under the building for the winter? Could be what hubby heard this morning.
The clues to your posing a chipmunk-as-a-suspect need to add up.

Are the seeds of a certain small capacity, and in one nice little pile?

Last edited by Gavia immer; 02-14-2012 at 09:14 AM. Reason: wrong quote
Gavia immer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gavia immer For This Useful Post:
DRH (02-13-2012), Jonas Pilot (02-13-2012)
Old 02-13-2012, 09:34 AM   #19
Water Camper

Thanks to everyone who has replied with their ideas. To answer jeffatsquam, yes, we had part of our roof redone in late fall, nothing else. And to answer Gavia immer, the seeds were enough to totally fill the palm of my hand. They were not piled up. They were in a flat, almost perfect circle. And like I said earlier, I think there was an indentation around them, like something curled up around them. That makes me think possibly an Ermin or a weasel type critter. Will find out Friday if it has paid another visit. If I feel something fuzzy in bed around my feet I'm gonna hit the roof! And honey, if you read this, don't get any ideas!
Old 02-13-2012, 01:50 PM   #20
Water Camper

Default The Vote is for Flying Squirrels

I spoke to the Wildlife Division at Fish and Game. They strongly suspect flying squirrels. Then I called a pest control business and she, too, said most likely flying squirrels. She had me convinced when she said that you'd often hear them coming back in at around 3:00 in the morning. That's the time hubby heard something. She said they will hide food but not shred bedding, etc., and she's thinking they are up in the attic. We'll take a look around up there this weekend to see if we can find any evidence of what it might be.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:12 PM   #21
Kamper

Sounds like a quality establishment to me. A snack discretely placed by your pillow and no mess.
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:36 PM   #22
NoBozo

Default Detective Work

In the interest of good animal detective work..a few questions need to be answered.

1: Did you find any little stains on the sheet..indicating a mouse had left any saliva or juices..? (drooling) A mouse delivering a bunch of seeds..deposited one at a time..would probably have left some signs.

2: Did you find any mouse hair around the "site" which might confirm a mouse presence..?

3: Did your husband ever "Short Sheet" your bed in the early years of your marriage...?

I'm thiking your husband is just showing his affection ..on Valentines Day by ...Busting your chops. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:58 PM   #23
RLW

Smile

If you were renting or staying the night I would say that the maid left that instead of a mint.

Old 02-14-2012, 07:11 AM   #24
Water Camper

NoBozo and RLW, Thanks for the laughs to go with my coffee this morning. You both are funny!

To answer your (serious) questions, I don't know if there were any stains as I stripped the bed after finding the seeds! I did do a major search through the cottage for any sign of a mouse, or any animal. Absolutely nothing.

Valentine seeds? Maybe hubby's on to something.....
Old 02-16-2012, 07:29 AM   #25
dpg

An Ermin isn't that a pretty good size animal? Seems if one of those were getting into the place you would know or be able to find from where.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:11 PM   #26
Tired of Waiting

Default Dollars to doughnuts

It's a chipmunk.

My best friend had the exact same thing in his camp in Otis MA.

Don't know why under the pillows but they put them there on every bed. We cought the little seed hider in the act and removed him to a better location.

tow
Tired of Waiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:06 PM   #27
Pontoon Goon

Default Simple solution

If the critter being under your pillow truly freaks you out just put some peanut butter under your husbands pillow. He won't bother with you again.
Pontoon Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:57 PM   #28
Water Camper

Now THAT's funny! Who won't bother me again? ... the critter or my husband! I'm packing the peanut butter right now!

Last edited by Water Camper; 02-16-2012 at 04:31 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:10 PM   #29
NoBozo

Hey WC: I've been married to the same women for 45 years. I never miss a chance to.....Have Fun. Just sayin.. It keeps the LOVE Alive. NB
Old 02-16-2012, 08:45 PM   #30
Water Camper

Hey NoBozo, Congratulations on your long indurance! It's been 30 years for us this past Halloween and he's still my best friend. Was it "Trick or treat" he always says. Still laughing these many years later and loving life with him.

The critter I can do without. Tomorrow wiill probably tell what's there when I creep up into the attic to take a look-see. And of course, check under my pillow first!
Old 02-17-2012, 11:25 AM   #31
SIKSUKR

Wow,30 years...you don't get that for murder.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:26 AM   #32
Water Camper

Default Update on Seeds Under Pillow

I checked under the pillows first thing upon arriving Friday. Nothing. I had left two mousetraps set in the bedroom and they were not tripped. I had also set two in the pantry off our kitchen. One was tripped and the other was gone. After much searching I found it in the woodbox below the shelf. Nothing was in it but the signs say it was a mouse. I cleaned everything out of the pantry but it got away. We also checked the attic and, thankfully, not a sign of anything having been up there. Mystery solved (I hope!). And I'll keep setting traps in the pantry.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:48 AM   #33
Gavia immer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of Waiting View Post
It's a chipmunk.

My best friend had the exact same thing in his camp in Otis MA.

Don't know why under the pillows but they put them there on every bed. We cought the little seed hider in the act and removed him to a better location.

tow
It's better to have removed him, than have caught a chipmunk in a trap that's only checked once a week!

That one mousetrap got moved, and the other tripped, tells me that the seed-hider was much bigger than a mouse. I had the same problem, but awoke to find a one-pound rat dragging my "mouse" trap around the house.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:14 AM   #34
Blue Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
Wow,30 years...you don't get that for murder.

Yeah, and he'd be out by now....he he
Old 02-21-2012, 08:37 AM   #35
Water Camper

Your suggestion that it could be a rat doesn't make me feel all warm and fuzzy! (Hee Hee) I don't like that thought at all!
Old 02-21-2012, 06:22 PM   #36
Gavia immer

Quote:
Your suggestion that it could be a rat doesn't make me feel all warm and fuzzy! (Hee Hee) I don't like that thought at all!
Relax, that rat encounter was in a different state. New Hampshire doesn't allow rats.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:06 AM   #37
RailroadJoe

Have you been to Concord lately?
RailroadJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:33 PM   #38
White Rook
Deceased Member

Quote:
I checked under the pillows first thing upon arriving Friday. Nothing. I had left two mousetraps set in the bedroom and they were not tripped. I had also set two in the pantry off our kitchen. One was tripped and the other was gone. After much searching I found it in the woodbox below the shelf. Nothing was in it but the signs say it was a mouse. I cleaned everything out of the pantry but it got away. We also checked the attic and, thankfully, not a sign of anything having been up there. Mystery solved (I hope!). And I'll keep setting traps in the pantry.

Look on the bright side Sue, it wasn't a bear! :-) Looking forward to seeing you this season. Stevie
bclaker (02-25-2012)
Old 03-03-2012, 06:53 PM   #39
webgirl

Smile Identical experience

So glad that you posted this. We have a country home in Waitsfield, Vt.
We arrived on Friday, March 1 at around midnight. And as I was about to fall asleep, and my hand was under my pilllow I felt something strange...

I found a small handful of seeds, about 3/4 of an inch long and 1/4 inch wide, brown, they look like wild rice but brown. There were no mouse droppings or shredding....and it was on my side of the bed (wife) nothing on the husbands side.

We were both a bit freaked out, but I find this really intriguing as well as we live most of the time in the city and wild life is new to us.

We've owned our home for about 2 year and this was the first incident.

I am looking at this as a good omen, a beautiful gift.

Is your cottage in New Hampshire? We are close in proximity and live in the mountains.
webgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:15 PM   #40
RLW

Default Nice little critter

webgirl, I just noticed that you are fairly new to the forum and glad you have joined us. Have fun and enjoy the Winni Forum while making many new friends. I hope you find the little critter that left you his most precious gift.

Old 03-03-2012, 07:32 PM   #41
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by webgirl View Post
We arrived on Friday, March 1 at around midnight. And as I was about to fall asleep, and my hand was under my pilllow I felt something strange...

I found a small handful of seeds, about 3/4 of an inch long and 1/4 inch wide, brown, they look like wild rice but brown. There were no mouse droppings or shredding....and it was on my side of the bed (wife) nothing on the husbands side.

We were both a bit freaked out, but I find this really intriguing as well as we live most of the time in the city and wild life is new to us.

Is your cottage in New Hampshire? We are close in proximity and live in the mountains.
Suspect your husband: He has read this thread. Back when I was married..45 years ago...such behavior was perfectly acceptable. I havn't done any pranks lately..She knows all of them by now. NB
Old 03-03-2012, 09:15 PM   #42
ITD

Quote:

Webgirl, welcome. Don't mean to scare you, but some of the "gifts" mice (and other rodents) can give us are listed in the sentence below from Wiki. I prefer mice outside the house..... Good luck!!

Some of the diseases the house mouse carries can be deadly: for example, Leptospirosis, Murine typhus, Rickettsialpox, Tularemia, lymphocytic choriomeningitis [27] and potentially Bubonic plague.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:38 PM   #43
Water Camper

Wink Webgirl You are Not Alone

Quote:

Hi Webgirl. We are located in Laconia, NH.

Now, the guys on the forum, especially NoBozo, have been giving me a good ribbing on this critter thing. All in fun and funny! But the seeds I found under my pillow are exactly as you describe. And while we did have something trip the traps set in the outside pantry (a room off the building) I still don't believe it was related to the inside incident. I'm going with your thought that it might be a good omen, a beautiful gift. It has not happened again. Just that once. And no, NoBozo, I don't believe my husband put them there! But just in case, I was thinking about getting a racoon tail and sticking it down under the blankets where his feet would be so when HE went to bed and tucked his toes down under .....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Water Camper For This Useful Post:
Kamper (03-04-2012), RLW (03-05-2012)
Old 03-06-2012, 08:18 PM   #44
NoBozo

WC: You have a good sense of humor and a logical mind. This is good.

Many years ago, my wife and I stayed in a Motel/Cabins in the Catskills. The cabin was very rustic, ...it had a nice stone fireplace which we enjoyed. An hour after we went to bed, we heard a scratching..or something, in the wall which we tried to ignore. (I'm not making this up). It kept going. I finally got up and went over to the wall and banged on the wall to silence the animal that was chewing..or whatever. It worked for a few minutes. Then it started again.

This went on for maybe 45 minutes. .... The animal chewing and scratching..And me going over to bang on the wall. Each time the animal would stop for a few minutes. The LAST time I banged on the wall..the animal GROWLED at me! I have NO idea what it was.

I quit banging on the wall and the animal quit scratching..or Growling at me and the rest of the night was....less confrontational. It was one of our more memorable experiences in our national travels, over the last 40+ years.. NoBozo
The Following User Says Thank You to NoBozo For This Useful Post:
Rattlesnake Gal (03-07-2012)
Old 03-06-2012, 09:31 PM   #45
Water Camper

Default Pay Back on the Pranks?

NoBozo, concerning your last post, I would have suspected your wife. She was probably just paying you back for your pranks! And rightfully so! You have a great sense of humor too and I'd like to meet you some day. Life is full of fun, mystery, and smiles.

Just don't look under the pillow!
Old 03-07-2012, 10:47 AM   #46
WakeboardMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavia immer View Post
New Hampshire doesn't allow rats.
My thoughts exactly!
Old 03-07-2012, 05:19 PM   #47
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Talking Fun Thread!

Sue, I really have been enjoying this thread. Thanks! You can be sure that I will be checking under all the pillows when we get back to the camp!

Last year we had a mouse that kept cleaning out the traps without setting them off. One night while watching a movie, this very tiny mouse ran across the room and mayhem ensued. Mac and Bailey tried to catch it, but it was too fast and it slipped away to parts unknown. The next day, the little critter came out into the open and Mac caught his first mouse! I think it surprised him a bit. He seemed wonderfully proud of himself as were we. He was a good boy, dropping it when I asked him to. I expected him to eat it.

Later that afternoon, tiny mouse number two ran across the living room into the back bedroom. Both dogs trapped it under the radiator, where I was able to grab and dispose of it. Such fun... good dogs. Hopefully new ones haven't moved in over the winter!
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:16 PM   #48
RLW

Smile Mice/critters in NH

U'all are making me jealous as hell. Here I have been coming to the cottage for over 57 years and have never seen or heard a mouse in any of the properties that we have owned. I'm starting to be left out for some reason. Now that we live here year round we still haven't even seen one in the yard. Maybe it is all the Farrel (SP) cats that we have around. Guess I shouldn't complain and let U all keep them.

Last edited by RLW; 03-08-2012 at 04:02 PM.
RLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 03:52 PM   #49
Water Camper

Default Think I need a dog or cat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Gal View Post
Sue, I really have been enjoying this thread. Thanks! You can be sure that I will be checking under all the pillows when we get back to the camp!

Last year we had a mouse that kept cleaning out the traps without setting them off. One night while watching a movie, this very tiny mouse ran across the room and mayhem ensued. Mac and Bailey tried to catch it, but it was too fast and it slipped away to parts unknown. The next day, the little critter came out into the open and Mac caught his first mouse! I think it surprised him a bit. He seemed wonderfully proud of himself as were we. He was a good boy, dropping it when I asked him to. I expected him to eat it.

Later that afternoon, tiny mouse number two ran across the living room into the back bedroom. Both dogs trapped it under the radiator, where I was able to grab and dispose of it. Such fun... good dogs. Hopefully new ones haven't moved in over the winter!
Hi Celia. I was envisioning you grabbing that mouse trapped under the radiator and started laughing pretty hard! Years ago, I would have been standing on a chair screaming for hubby. But after my 1st encounter with a bat in the cottage, that has all changed! I arrived one morning and stoked the wood fireplace insert. Left the door a little ajar to allow some air flow while I unpacked boxes in the kitchen. Walked back into the living room a few minutes later and noticed something, like a dark little ball, on the carpet a few feet away from the fireplace. It was a little dark in there so I'm just standing there looking at it, thinking, WOW that looks furry. No sooner had I finished that thought, the furry ball unfurled itself and started crawling along the carpet. I screamed BAT and made a bee line for the bathroom closing the door (it was not a small bat!). So now I'm alone and thinking what am I going to do!

I came out slowly, didn't see anything, and ran to get a heavy coat and hat, then got the heavy lumberjack fireplace gloves. Walked around but couldn't find the bat. All of a sudden it is flying around my head! Another frantic escape to the bathroom screaming all the way. After i finally calmed down, I grabbed a towel and slowly came out looking for it. Found it hanging on the curtain on the door going outside. I walked up quietly, scooped it up in the towel and ran out the door with it. I was pretty proud of myself. Otherwise, I would have been jailed in the bathroom until Bill arrived later that day!

And if you want to hear the story of the 2nd bat encounter that Bill had, just say so. It was even funnier than mine! Suzie Bat Catcher, that's me!
Sue
Rattlesnake Gal (03-09-2012), webmaster (03-08-2012)
Old 03-08-2012, 07:41 PM   #50
NoBozo

A GUY... would have just had another beer and got on with his life...Just sayin.. NB
Old 03-08-2012, 09:21 PM   #51
Water Camper

Default And a girl would have ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
A GUY... would have just had another beer and got on with his life...Just sayin.. NB
A girl (me) would have checked the glass first for bat/mice turds first before pouring the first one.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:47 AM   #52
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Talking Great Story Sue!

Yes please to more bat tales!!!
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:27 AM   #53
Water Camper

Default Second Bat Tale

This bat tale happened about a month after my bat encounter. We arrived at the cottage and after putting things away, Bill decided to start the fireplace stove insert as it was a little cool in there. I'm sitting at the table a short distance away. He grabs the ash bucket and shovel and gets down on his knees in front of the stove. He opens the door and proceeds to begin removing the ashes from the previous fire. All of a sudden he slams the door shut and back peddles across the rug on his hands and knees. He looks over at me with wide eyes and I say "Bat"? He vigorously shakes his head and says how the heck are we going to get that thing out of there? (It had been hanging inside on one of the stove bricks. He thought it was ashes and had knocked it down.)

I told him I'd take care of it. I got my (now favorite) very heavy duty fireplace gloves, opened the door, and picked up the little bat that was laying face down in the ashes on the bottom of the stove. I never knew bats screamed but it sure did all the way out the door! I set it on our low stone wall and it just laid there. I seemed to remember that bats have a hard time taking off from the ground so I picked it back up and set it on a tree branch with leaf coverage to shield it from the daylight. I checked later and it was gone. One bat saved and no more encounters since then.

I'm also known as Suzie Snake Slayer, havng caught a 2 1/2 foot long Milk Snake. I really didn't kill it, just relocated it! But that's another story.......
bclaker (03-09-2012), NickNH (03-09-2012)
Old 03-09-2012, 09:33 AM   #54
bclaker

Default Bat, Rat and Snake Tales

Hillarious threads. Keep em comimg!!!
Old 03-09-2012, 09:56 AM   #55
Water Camper

Default Story of the Milk Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclaker View Post
Hillarious threads. Keep em comimg!!!
At our home in Pembroke, I started seeing a snake out front sunning itself on the small rocks around the foundation. Now, I am not fond of snakes! One day I went to walk out our breezeway door. The snake was curled up on the concrete step sunning itself. I didn't see it at first and started to put my foot down. It struck at me! That meant war!

One day I came home and found it laying straight out beside the wooden walkway that goes around the garage. I went and got a long tupperware-like container with a lid and poked some holes in the lid. Then I grabbed, not only my heavy fireplace gloves, but two large BBQ forks. I pinned it down with them just behind its head and at its tail. Then I grabbed it behind the head, lifted that fork and then lifted the fork on its tail. Well, it started thrashing and turning! Milk snakes will throw off a milky, very smelly substance which it did. I got it in the container and snapped on the lid. You cannot imagine how hard I was shaking!!! Called a friend whose sister loves snakes. He came and took it away. Hubby was very proud of me!
Old 03-09-2012, 01:43 PM   #56
NoBozo

Default I Can Just Picture It...

I can remember old Marlin Perkins wrestling snakes on TV. Sometimes the snakes were bigger than he was and if the snake was cantankerous, it could be a knock down drag out brawl. He was hilarious to watch. NB

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marlin_Perkins
Old 03-09-2012, 01:49 PM   #57
ITD

Ok Water Camper, we're going to have to give you a nickname. How about Marla Perkins, or Dr. Doolittle, or maybe the Bat Whisperer.
The Following User Says Thank You to ITD For This Useful Post:
NickNH (03-12-2012)
Old 03-11-2012, 01:26 PM   #58
Water Camper

Default 1 mouse, more seeds, and 5 1/2" of snow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
Ok Water Camper, we're going to have to give you a nickname. How about Marla Perkins, or Dr. Doolittle, or maybe the Bat Whisperer.
Funny! I like Bat Whisperer! Anyone else have any other suggestions?

Got up to the cottage Friday to find one trap tripped in the pantry room with a mouse in it. I thought that was that. Today, I pulled out our guest blow up bed to repair a leak it developed last fall. It was in the back room off our bedroom. There were more seeds inside when I unfolded it, in the folds. While there are still no signs of a mouse inside I guess I have to resign myself that it is a mouse.

Also, got a big surprise early Saturday morning. Something woke me up about midnight. The inside of our cottage was a strange dim orange color. First thought was fire so I jumped up to check. Nothing wrong. I opened the blinds out front and it was snowing ... a real blizzard. I thought I was sleep walking! The sky was a strange orange color, probably the moon behind the snow falling. It was awesome. Did anyone else see it? Saturday morning I measured and we had 5 1/2" of snow! What a surprise and how beautiful! Didn't get any snow in Pembroke.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:43 PM   #59
Water Camper

Default Story of the Bee from Jurassik Park

If you all can stand one more tale .... let me first say that I am seriously terrified of bees, a life-long phobia. Also, let me say this story is a bit embarrassing but you'll probably get a good laugh! One summer a few years ago I was painting the outside of our house. Went out in the morning, my hair tied up in a bun in a big pink hair scrunchy. I climb up the ladder (not very high), paint cup and paint brush in hand. All of a sudden this HUGE bee is circling my head. I fell off the ladder, paint going one way, the brush another. I made a bee line for the breezeway and it chased me all the way there.

Once I stopped shaking and composed myself and didn't see it any longer, I creaped back out all the while looking around. No sooner am I on the ladder and here it comes again buzzing around my head. This thing looked like a 2 inch long, very fat honey bee but it's body was really fuzzy. I run into the house again with it in mad pursuit.

I called the State of NH and asked to speak to their bee expert. I told him what had been happening, that I'm terrified of bees, and that I needed help to get rid of this bee from Jurassik Park. He began laughing uncontrollably. Once he calmed down and apologized for his laughter, he said what my freak bee was was actually a Hummingbird Moth. It was attracted to the pink hair tie in my hair, thinking it was a flower! I looked it up on the internet and sure enough, that's what it was. I was so embarrassed but I bet that was the funniest call he ever got!
Sue
bclaker (03-11-2012), NickNH (03-12-2012)
Old 03-11-2012, 04:47 PM   #60
bclaker

H
Quote:
If you all can stand one more tale .... let me first say that I am seriously terrified of bees, a life-long phobia. Also, let me say this story is a bit embarrassing but you'll probably get a good laugh! One summer a few years ago I was painting the outside of our house. Went out in the morning, my hair tied up in a bun in a big pink hair scrunchy. I climb up the ladder (not very high), paint cup and paint brush in hand. All of a sudden this HUGE bee is circling my head. I fell off the ladder, paint going one way, the brush another. I made a bee line for the breezeway and it chased me all the way there.

Once I stopped shaking and composed myself and didn't see it any longer, I creaped back out all the while looking around. No sooner am I on the ladder and here it comes again buzzing around my head. This thing looked like a 2 inch long, very fat honey bee but it's body was really fuzzy. I run into the house again with it in mad pursuit.

I called the State of NH and asked to speak to their bee expert. I told him what had been happening, that I'm terrified of bees, and that I needed help to get rid of this bee from Jurassik Park. He began laughing uncontrollably. Once he calmed down and apologized for his laughter, he said what my freak bee was was actually a Hummingbird Moth. It was attracted to the pink hair tie in my hair, thinking it was a flower! I looked it up on the internet and sure enough, that's what it was. I was so embarrassed but I bet that was the funniest call he ever got!
Sue
Sue, you got my curiosity up, so I had to google Humminghbird Moths. I found a number of interesting web sites. One had pictures of a number of multicolored Hummingbird Moths. This videdo shows one in action:

http://173.83.194.219/hummingbirdmoth.html
Old 03-11-2012, 06:05 PM   #61
Water Camper

Quote:
H

Sue, you got my curiosity up, so I had to google Humminghbird Moths. I found a number of interesting web sites. One had pictures of a number of multicolored Hummingbird Moths. This videdo shows one in action:

http://173.83.194.219/hummingbirdmoth.html
bclaker ... Just saw your post and watched the video link. I can't stop laughing! I think I cracked a rib! Yea, imagine that thing flying around your head and face like a little helicopter coming in for a landing. That about sums it up. Oh my gosh, I ... just .... can't ... stop ... laughing. Thanks!
Sue
Old 03-11-2012, 06:20 PM   #62
Water Camper

Default Snowberry Clearwing Moth

bclaker ... mine looked like the Snowberry Clearwing Moth ....

Taken from the Internet ... "The Snowberry Clearwing is very similar to other larger clearwing hummingbird moths. The Snowberry is small and resembles a bumblebee more than a hummingbird but the larger clearwing moths look so much like a hummingbird that it can take a second look for an experienced bird watcher.

Google that and you'll see why I was a little (yea, right!) afraid. I wanted to post a picture of it but couldn't figure out how to make it work. Webmaster?

Sue
The Following User Says Thank You to Water Camper For This Useful Post:
bclaker (03-11-2012)
Old 03-11-2012, 07:40 PM   #63
bclaker

Quote:
bclaker ... mine looked like the Snowberry Clearwing Moth ....

Taken from the Internet ... "The Snowberry Clearwing is very similar to other larger clearwing hummingbird moths. The Snowberry is small and resembles a bumblebee more than a hummingbird but the larger clearwing moths look so much like a hummingbird that it can take a second look for an experienced bird watcher.

Google that and you'll see why I was a little (yea, right!) afraid. I wanted to post a picture of it but couldn't figure out how to make it work. Webmaster?

Sue
Was this the guy:
http://www.birds-n-garden.com/snowbe...ird_moths.html

Better this guy flying around, than his earlier stage crawling around your neck.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:46 PM   #64
bclaker

This was the site with all the multicolored butterflies and moths:
http://www.butterfliesandmoths.org/s...maris-diffinis
Old 03-12-2012, 07:38 AM   #65
Water Camper

Default Thank you!

Quote:
Was this the guy:
http://www.birds-n-garden.com/snowbe...ird_moths.html

Better this guy flying around, than his earlier stage crawling around your neck.
Yup, that's it. Those things fly around fast and their wings beat so quickly they give off a hum like a bee.