Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-18-2016, 03:15 AM   #1
Old Hubbard Rd

Default Meadowbrook

What a wonderful job they have done with this venue. This place is such a pleasure to visit. Whomever is running this place is doing a GREAT job!! Your employees are all so nice. Very clean place!

We came to see Bob Dylan and was hoping to hear some old stuff that I would recognize but that did not happen. Dylan did not play one song that my wife and I could recognize! The band sounded terrible. The band sounded like they all wanted to be heard over allowing Dylan to be heard. Dylan did not even say hello to the audience. He did not try and engage with the audience at all. I guess that is his style and who am I to tell a rock icon how to entertain. It was great to see so many young people there as well as watching the old folks go back in time. This is not a bash on Meadowbrook. We just did not enjoy Dylan! Curious what other folks thought.
Old Hubbard Rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 05:14 AM   #2
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

You captured and summed it up well!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 05:20 AM   #3
8gv

We did not go to the Dylan concert but we did see Ringo and his All Star Band.

He and his band put on a great show.

Meadowbrook was as you described as well.

Several of our out of state friends chose to attend the concerts of their favorite performers at Meadowbrook because they enjoy the venue.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 07:32 AM   #4
pjard

A friend of mine went to see Dylan last night and said it was absolutely terrible. Too bad....
pjard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 08:13 AM   #5
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts
Thumbs down Dylan

I had seen Dylan many years ago at Jones Beach on Long Island, NY a very similar venue to Meadowbrook. He was so bad I actually walked out. Joe Cocker opened for him and he was awesome.
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-2016, 10:17 AM   #6
thebix

Default I agree

Yes, Bob Dylan was a very bad show, not what I had hoped for.
I was also surprised by the bad lighting. The stage was lit by back lights only, nothing on the face of the performers, no follow spots. I could never see Bob Dylan's face. And that caused the pictures on the TV screens to be almost black. What were they thinking?
thebix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 11:30 AM   #7
jetskier

Default Bob Dylan

I did not want to say anything before the show...but:

We went to see Bob Dylan a few years back at Meadowbrook and the show was completely awful. Bob could not sing worth a damn and he would not allow any stage lighting on him.

I was completely surprised that they booked him again, but I thought that perhaps he would be better this time....sounds like the same.

Some acts at Meadowbrook are fantastic such as Keith Urban and some are completely awful. My wife and I walked out of the Willie Nelson concert last year...the warm up band was amazing. Willie had his family playing for his concert and no one could play....there was no staging...horrible.

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 11:36 AM   #8
radiocontester

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetskier View Post
I did not want to say anything before the show...but:

Bob could not sing worth a damn....

Jetskier
Could he ever?
radiocontester is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to radiocontester For This Useful Post:
beagle (07-19-2016), germangirlvt (07-20-2016), ishoot308 (07-18-2016), Reilly (07-18-2016)
Old 07-18-2016, 11:36 AM   #9
Gatto Nero

I saw Dylan at the Boston Garden back in the 80's or 90's and he was terrible then. His opening act was Van Morrison and he was amazing. They continue to book because he is a rock legend and he sells tickets.
Old 07-18-2016, 12:10 PM   #10
ishoot308

Thanked 4,939 Times in 1,915 Posts

I heard Dylan's opening act was very good...anyone confirm?

Dan
Old 07-18-2016, 03:38 PM   #11
FlyingScot

Default A different take

Starting with the less controversial:

Meadowbrook was super. My first time there, it will not be my last. I only wish I had arrived early enough for dinner.

To answer ishoot308--Mavis Staples, who led the iconic Staple Singers from the Civil Rights Era and on, was the opening act. She's amazing--last night was my 5th time seeing her, and I figured she'd be worth the price of admission if I didn't like Dylan. She was! Her voice and her heart both just roar. Fun fact--Dylan proposed to her in the 60s. If you enjoyed The Weight last night, check out You Tube for the version her family did on The Last Waltz for a before and after kick.

I also thought Dylan was great last night. OK--as a number of you have noted--he didn't play his hits, he's often unintelligible, and few of us are really pumped over the songbook standards which comprised half his show. But he's not Dylan because he gives us what we want (presumably an easy to digest oldies show). He and his band delivered unique versions of standards and his own music. His band played beautifully, his voice was actually better than I expected, and it was a much more real, thoughtful, creative, and special statement than the easy trip down memory lane that so many of his contemporaries offer to great applause. I agree the show could have been better if he spent just a bit of time on showmanship. But he's Dylan, and no more interested in taking the audience's pulse today than he was when he went electric in Newport 1965.

Maybe we could agree that we were incredibly lucky to hear one of the all time greats play Tangled Up in Blue and and Blowin' in the Wind?
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (07-18-2016)
Old 07-18-2016, 03:48 PM   #12
Gatto Nero

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterG View Post

To answer ishoot308--Mavis Staples, who led the iconic Staple Singers from the Civil Rights Era and on, was the opening act.
I saw her at the NO Jazz Fest this year. She really was amazing.
Old 07-19-2016, 08:49 AM   #13
beaner

Default 3 strikes @ Meadowbrook

I don't care who is performing, I will never attend another show at Meadowbrook. The management couldn't care less about music. It's all about squeezing every last dime out of patrons. If I wanted a carnival atmosphere - vendors hawking beer, t-shirts, tractors, etc. - I'd go to Fryeburg Fair. On our last visit, we were embarrassed to have brought family to Meadowbrook for what we'd hoped would be a memorable experience. Which it was, but not in a good way. The fact is, they were given 3 chances over a period of several years (epic failure x 3). We described our miserable experiences to the general manager in writing, and it is abundantly clear that they do not care. So, we will never go back. When we want to see a show, we love going to Stone Mountain in Brownfield, where Carol Noonan has built a spectacular venue and a reputation for treating performers and audiences with respect. Or, anyplace but Meadowbrook, really.
beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beaner For This Useful Post:
mcdude (07-22-2016), RTTOOL (07-20-2016)
Old 07-19-2016, 10:15 AM   #14
Major

Thanked 1,000 Times in 415 Posts
Default Meadowbrook

My wife and I go to two or so shows a year, and have enjoyed every single one of them. Maybe our expectations are lower, but where can you go for less than $200, tailgate, have a few beverages and listen to bands that bring back great memories of your youth? Sorry it doesn't work for you beaner, but for the rest of us (at least the people we know), we think it's an awesome venue, and we are lucky to have it so close to where we live.
Major is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Major For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (07-22-2016), Cindido (07-19-2016), FlyingScot (07-19-2016), Gatto Nero (07-19-2016), idoso (07-20-2016), ishoot308 (07-19-2016), noreast (07-19-2016), Old Hubbard Rd (07-19-2016), Reilly (07-20-2016), VitaBene (07-22-2016), WakeboardMom (07-19-2016)
Old 07-19-2016, 10:48 AM   #15
fatlazyless

Apparently, they changed their name to protect the innocent, or something, because there's been a name change from Meadowbrook Farm to www.banknhpavilion.com, but something tells me their old name, Meadowbrook Farm, will stick around in use, and be a long time keeper.

So, what's a better name ....... Meadowbrook Farm ...... or Bank of NH Pavilion ....... ??? And, the Bank of NH used to be the Bank of Laconia, or something?

Bob Dylan is age-75, and he supposedly was hooked on heroin many years ago, or something, so's he's doing real good just showing up and performing on stage ...... a big round of applause for Bob here ...... hope he's still 'Blow'n in the Wind' when he hits age-95 and playing guitar/harmonica on stage supported by an ambulatory care walker.
SteveO123 (07-19-2016)
Old 07-19-2016, 01:02 PM   #16
Farfrumbehavin

The first time I attended a concert at Meadowbrook, it was a grass banking in a farm field and the stage was stick built, small, with no roof. We have attended several shows since they opened and took it all for granted until we brought my wife's sister and her husband to a show last year and one this past weekend. They could not get over how lucky we are to have Meadowbrook in our backyard and couldn't believe we hadn't taken them there sooner. Sat night we saw the Tedeshi Trucks Band. You would be very hard pressed to find a better show and see it in a better venue. We love Meadowbrook ! If i had a complaint, it is that we are either side of 60 now and the alcohol induced rowdiness I can do without. Although it does matter who the band is, what kind of crowd they draw. The Doobie Brothers brought all the wood boogers down off the mountain. Oh yeah, and when the person sitting in front of me holds up a huge I-phone over their head but in my face and records the whole show! It's a real big distraction and very rude.
Well I'm just a little too old school for that nonsense.
Farfrumbehavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 02:55 PM   #17
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farfrumbehavin View Post
The first time I attended a concert at Meadowbrook, it was a grass banking in a farm field and the stage was stick built, small, with no roof. We have attended several shows since they opened and took it all for granted until we brought my wife's sister and her husband to a show last year and one this past weekend. They could not get over how lucky we are to have Meadowbrook in our backyard and couldn't believe we hadn't taken them there sooner. Sat night we saw the Tedeshi Trucks Band. You would be very hard pressed to find a better show and see it in a better venue. We love Meadowbrook ! If i had a complaint, it is that we are either side of 60 now and the alcohol induced rowdiness I can do without. Although it does matter who the band is, what kind of crowd they draw. The Doobie Brothers brought all the wood boogers down off the mountain. Oh yeah, and when the person sitting in front of me holds up a huge I-phone over their head but in my face and records the whole show! It's a real big distraction and very rude.
Well I'm just a little too old school for that nonsense.
HEY! Watch who yer callin' a wood booger! JK
I hear ya on the ignorant a$$wipes who think the show is "just for them"
I'm not a frequent concert goer but each time I have gone, there is always someone like this there...I'll stay in the woods , thank you!
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 07:47 PM   #18
ITD

Wood booger, never heard that one before, wood booger, it's got a certain ring to it....... wood booger.

Anyway, I saw Journey and Dave Mason last night and it was great. I love seeing bands there, I pay the premium for the VIP parking and I'm back home usually 20 to 30 minutes after the show ends, can't beat it in my opinion.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITD For This Useful Post:
WakeboardMom (07-20-2016)
Old 07-20-2016, 09:02 AM   #19
noreast

Isn't "wood booger" a name for Sasquatch? On that note, there's another group in NH this summer out to find him. Good luck.
noreast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 12:15 PM   #20
Jersey Bob

Default wood booger

There is a forum member on this forum will remain nameless. He also belongs to another forum that I'm on with a different member name. He explained to me that a wood booger is someone that scrounges for firewood and can be identified by fact that the bed of their pickup truck has either scrounged firewood or scraps of bark from the same. He also said that the term was local to Maine and New Hampshire.
Jersey Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jersey Bob For This Useful Post:
ITD (07-20-2016), noreast (07-20-2016)
Old 07-21-2016, 07:55 PM   #21
Barney Bear

Default Meadowbrook on Chronicle

There was a very interesting piece about Meadowbrook on the WMUR Channel 9 Chronicle program this evening. I was unaware of the extensive scope of this venue.
Barney Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 12:28 PM   #22
Rockslider

Saw James Taylor at Meadowbrook last night -- an absolutely wonderful show in every way.

Meadowbrook is a great venue. The only disappointment is the food -- they could make some improvements in seating, quality, and price. But overall, a great place to see a show.
Rockslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 01:19 PM   #23
ITD

I saw James Taylor too, great show.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 06:38 PM   #24
pjard

Default Agree on James Taylor

I too was at James Taylor last night, what a GREAT entertainer. He was very engaged with the audience.
pjard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 08:33 PM   #25
Donzi18

Talking Music volume

A recent news article told about a request to increase the volume and extend the show hours...which were denied, now the volume is increased anyway, I'll bet there will be complaints. I live on Smith Cove next to the Glendale Yacht Club and the bass noise is obviously louder.
Donzi18 is offline   Reply With Quote