Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Fish Tales
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2019, 09:39 AM   #1
Hillcountry

Default Thermocline?

Thinking about starting my salmon trolling season soon, as my boat is now available for valet.
Anyone done any trolling yet? If so, are they still on top or has a thermocline set up yet? Thanks!
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 09:46 AM   #2
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountry View Post
Thinking about starting my salmon trolling season soon, as my boat is now available for valet.
Anyone done any trolling yet? If so, are they still on top or has a thermocline set up yet? Thanks!
No thermocline till end of June at best Hill.... Fish top 10' if your going for salmon, water still in 40's!

Good luck!

Dan
Hillcountry (05-10-2019)
Old 05-10-2019, 11:43 AM   #3
burgerunh

Like Dan said not thermocline to speak of right now. The water is very cold. I fished up there last weekend from Thursday until Sunday. We fished productive areas from past years with little to show for it. Out of the 4 days we only managed 4 fish total. 2 Salmon, 1 Rainbow, 1 Laker. We even tried live bait and that didn't help. That was it. I fish this same time every year and usually report 40 or 50 fish caught on the boat. Hopefully it was a fluke and not a pattern for the year.
burgerunh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 12:34 PM   #4
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerunh View Post
Hopefully it was a fluke and not a pattern for the year.
Get used to it for the next couple years until the missing age classes return... https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums...ad.php?t=24290

The 4 year olds are nice though!

Dan
Old 05-10-2019, 03:44 PM   #5
burgerunh

One of the salmon we got was just over 3.5 pounds! That was a nice one Dan!
burgerunh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to burgerunh For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (05-10-2019)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2019, 11:09 AM   #6
WINNI BOB

Default Salmon fishing - past 2 weeks

Hi;

I have been fishing the lake for over 50 years. I have noticed that every year the number of salmon has been declining. About 5-6 years ago, me and a buddy, caught 28 salmon in Center harbor in about 4-5 hours. We could only use 1 rod each as the activity was so intense. We had 2-3 "double-headers". Since then, the action is horrible, maybe 1-2 fish per outing.

Over the past 2 weeks, I have only caught 3 salmon. Something is not right !!! The live smelt and shiners that AJ's bait has been supplying has been great. I hope they figure out what's going on, because this is driving me nuts. I have noticed that the 3 salmon I have caught were all badly scarred(scales missing), and 1 had half of it's tail missing. I wonder if the many otters that I've seen recently are attacking and feeding on the salmon????? The other thing that I've noticed is the absence of surface activity (slurping) early in the am and later at twilight is, almost non existent, whereas, years ago, the salmon would be attacking the bugs frequently.

I would appreciate any comments or confirmation of my thoughts.

WINNI BOB
WINNI BOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 03:20 PM   #7
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINNI BOB View Post
Hi;

I have been fishing the lake for over 50 years. I have noticed that every year the number of salmon has been declining. About 5-6 years ago, me and a buddy, caught 28 salmon in Center harbor in about 4-5 hours. We could only use 1 rod each as the activity was so intense. We had 2-3 "double-headers". Since then, the action is horrible, maybe 1-2 fish per outing.

Over the past 2 weeks, I have only caught 3 salmon. Something is not right !!! The live smelt and shiners that AJ's bait has been supplying has been great. I hope they figure out what's going on, because this is driving me nuts. I have noticed that the 3 salmon I have caught were all badly scarred(scales missing), and 1 had half of it's tail missing. I wonder if the many otters that I've seen recently are attacking and feeding on the salmon????? The other thing that I've noticed is the absence of surface activity (slurping) early in the am and later at twilight is, almost non existent, whereas, years ago, the salmon would be attacking the bugs frequently.

WINNI BOB
Read this informative, thread by ISHOOT308

https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums...ad.php?t=24290
Old 05-12-2019, 10:38 AM   #8
swnoel

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINNI BOB View Post
Hi;

WINNI BOB
They need to ban fishing tournaments in NH. They might be good for the locals making money, but the fisheries are being harmed, especially the winter derbies.
swnoel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to swnoel For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (05-12-2019)
Old 05-12-2019, 12:01 PM   #9
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Not the winter derby cause

Quote:
Originally Posted by swnoel View Post
They need to ban fishing tournaments in NH. They might be good for the locals making money, but the fisheries are being harmed, especially the winter derbies.
The winter fishing derby is not the cause of the salmon population decline. Salmon may not be taken through the ice.

Dave
mhtranger (05-13-2019)
Old 05-12-2019, 12:11 PM   #10
barefootbay

The derbys are damaging to the lakes end of story .
barefootbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 12:13 PM   #11
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
The winter fishing derby is not the cause of the salmon population decline. Salmon may not be taken through the ice.

Dave
There is a Spring Winni derby as well...targeting Salmon, lakers and rainbows.
Matter of fact, it’s next weekend...I truly believe the derby kills more salmon than gets put on the board.
Old 05-12-2019, 02:01 PM   #12
ishoot308

Quote:
Matter of fact, it’s next weekend...I truly believe the derby kills more salmon than gets put on the board.
The derby kills a LOT more salmon than what is put on the board. The mishandling of released fish, non use of rubber nets, hook wounding, etc, etc, shows up and kills way more fish than what is “boarded”. You can see the results of the derby by the amount of floating fish for two weeks following the derby. I see it first hand living full time on Welch Island. What many people do not realize is the derby was initially started to REDUCE the amount of salmon in the lake...nuff said!

Dan
Hillcountry (05-12-2019), mhtranger (05-13-2019)
Old 05-12-2019, 06:01 PM   #13
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Not disagreeing

Quote:
My comment was directed at swnoel's comment that the winter derby kills salmon. Salmon can't be taken through the ice.

I do agree with Dan's comment.

Dave
Hillcountry (05-12-2019), trfour (05-13-2019)
Old 05-13-2019, 04:16 AM   #14
swnoel

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
My comment was directed at swnoel's comment that the winter derby kills salmon. Salmon can't be taken through the ice.

I do agree with Dan's comment.

Dave
Really... clearly ice fishermen are taking the fish out of the water, onto the ice, holding them up, snapping pictures, frigging around trying to save their 25 cent hook, allowing their gills and eyes to freeze, then if they don't hide them in the snow, release a stressed and possibly damaged fish back into the water. Can't be taken through the ice? If you're serious about protecting our fisheries end all the derbies!
swnoel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to swnoel For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (05-13-2019), trfour (05-13-2019)