Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2009, 03:31 PM   #1
Skip

Post Careless and Negligent operation

Since the "careless & negligent operation" RSA has been bantered about in other threads, I thought I'd share this story of someone recently being charged with this offense.

While this alleged incident took place in my neck of the woods down here on the seacoast, I think the gist of the offense is still pertinent and it does show that this law is indeed enforced by the NHMP.

Plus the alleged offender is a rather interesting local politico type...so it ads a little "flair" to the story.

Anyway from today's Portsmouth Herald on-line!

Oh, and here is the RSA referenced:

270:29-a Careless and Negligent Operation of Boats. – Any person who shall operate a power boat upon any waters of the state in a careless and negligent manner or so that the lives and safety of the public are endangered shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Skip For This Useful Post:
Airwaves (08-06-2009), BroadHopper (08-06-2009), Just Sold (08-06-2009), robmac (08-07-2009)
Old 08-06-2009, 04:28 PM   #2
VtSteve

Good call for the MP. The fact that he was in close proximity to others, as well as docks, sealed the deal? If he did that while sober, I sure hope he stays on land.
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 05:51 PM   #3
Airwaves

So much for Careless and Negligent operation being too vague to be enforced!
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Airwaves For This Useful Post:
Resident 2B (08-06-2009)
Old 08-06-2009, 06:29 PM   #4
NoBozo

Default Another... Just Wondering

Doing Doughnuts: This story is missing a large part of the story I think...probably because we don't want to single out any particular person or group because that would not be........Well......... not PC:

PWCs like to Do Doughnuts. PWCs are "Jet Drives". Jet Drives are Highly Maneuverable... and any vessel that possesses that trait will likely be "put through it's paces" by the owner. This excellent handling quality, probably even influenced the buyer in the first place. WHO wouldn't want a vessel that handles like that.??

The Hinkley Picnic Boat is a Jet Drive. This boat is NOT a Low End boat. $350,000+ to start. I have seen this boat put through it's paces. It is every bit as maneuverable as a PWC. "Hinkley Picnic Boats" run as large as 42 feet. They will Spin in their own length.

Ted Hood builds a similar boat called the "Whisper Jet"...also very "High End".
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 07:46 PM   #5
Airwaves

Default Read beyone the headline

As far as I know there is nothing unlawful about "doing doughnuts" but it makes for a good headline.

The violation was spelled out in the paragraph that said

Quote:
“in close proximity to other boaters and occupied docks endangering the lives and safety of the occupants, the other boaters and those on the docks.”
So doing doughnuts on a PWC or any other boat with a jet drive is not, in of itself, a problem but doing them in the area quoted above would be a problem.

Sounds like, at minumum, a violation of the Safe Passage rule but since they charged him with careless and negligent operation is appears the MP thought he was endangering the lives of himself and the passengers on his vessel as well.

Last edited by Airwaves; 08-06-2009 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Adding safe passage rule comment
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2009, 11:03 PM   #6
SIKSUKR

Being a pwc owner, I agree with the distaste of knuckleheads that spin around in circles and give the rest of us that use ours as a boat a bad rep.
Old 08-07-2009, 06:45 AM   #7
ApS

Question 4-Seater...The "Fool-Proof" Boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
Being a pwc owner, I agree with the distaste of knuckleheads that spin around in circles and give the rest of us that use ours as a boat a bad rep.
It may be a bad rap, but I think it's entertaining to watch.

1) Just how far can a Jet-Ski throw its passengers?

2) Just how far can a Jet-Ski throw its "driver"?

3) How often in one hour can a Jet-Ski throw its "driver" off?

4) Can a 4-seater Jet-Ski throw any of its passengers off? (Hasn't happened yet off my shore).

As pop-singer Gloria Estefan found out, it was the Jet-Ski's inability to manuver that gave such craft its awful—and too-often-fatal—"rep".
Jet-skis have poor control at low speeds, only increasing control as speed increases.

Even better than those who own and "drive" them, I think I can speak to what I've seen better than most. I have a lakefront view of Jet-Skis 12 months a year (here and in Florida).

Like intentionally "stuffing" a Jet-Ski nose-first, maybe search YouTube for various Jet-Ski stunts?

Last edited by ApS; 08-09-2009 at 08:10 AM. Reason: Add "YouTube" comment
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 08:56 AM   #8
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second View Post
It may be a bad rap, but I think it's entertaining to watch.

1) Just how far can a Jet-Ski throw its passengers?

2) Just how far can a Jet-Ski throw its "driver"?

3) How often in one hour can a Jet-Ski throw its "driver" off?

4) Can a 4-seater Jet-Ski throw any of its passengers off? (Hasn't happened yet off my shore).

But seriously, it was the Jet-Ski's inability to manuver that gave such craft its awful—and too-often-fatal—"rep".
Well this PWC owner has never been thrown in my 10 years of riding.I would also say that a PWC would will out maneuver a sailboat tenfold so I'm not sure where you get that,as you say "awful—and too-often-fatal—"rep" statement from.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:33 AM   #9
Winnicandle

I have owned PWC for years.

have never been thrown off, never seen anyone thrown off, and actually never met anyone who has been thrown off.

Also have never seen a 4-seater "jet ski"

Any modern PWC is also far more maneuverable than any powerboat or sailboat I have ever owned.

Like any sport or hobby, maybe a few jerks can give a lasting impression, but PWC have come a long way....even old cranky people ride them now.
Winnicandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 09:52 AM   #10
Mee-n-Mac

Wink Dem cranky ole people

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnicandle View Post
.... but PWC have come a long way....even old cranky people ride them now.
Yup, I can attest to that personally !

Hmmmm, wait .... ahhhh perhaps I can attest that even old people
ride them now ...

OK, OK perhaps I can attest that ... dang, that buzzer means it's time for my meds and nap. When I wake up some please remind me to attest to something as my memory seems to be a bit sketchy these last few years.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:05 AM   #11
chipj29

Quote:

have never been thrown off, never seen anyone thrown off, and actually never met anyone who has been thrown off.

Also have never seen a 4-seater "jet ski"

Any modern PWC is also far more maneuverable than any powerboat or sailboat I have ever owned.

Like any sport or hobby, maybe a few jerks can give a lasting impression, but PWC have come a long way....even old cranky people ride them now.
I own a 3-seat PWC, and can say I have been thrown off a couple times. I can also say that in all cases, I was "asking" for it. No, I wasn't trying, but I sure deserved it. Early this spring (yes, it was on that warm day in April), I got thrown off, mainly due to a sharp turn, and a brand new bathing suit, which was very slippery. But I still deserved it.

Sea Doo makes a 4-seat PWC called the LRV. I am not sure they still make it though. I think Yamaha had a 4-seat model as well.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:32 AM   #12
Winnicandle

Nah, Im sure that rediculous thing is no longer made! - at least since I have been shopping for seadoos (last 5 years)

And as fast as some are today, I'd REALLY like to not fall off.
Old 08-08-2009, 02:20 PM   #13
SOB

Default Pwc

I had the fastest and most powerful PWC brand new in 2000, rode it for 8 yrs, logged 700+ hours on it. Hit the ocean in RI/MA and then 6 full yrs on Winni, covered the lake from top to bottom. Never fell off, also never saw anyone fall off. I did purchase some wet shoes that gave me great grip to stabilize myself.

As for donuts, not smart in a congested area where boats will be traveling through as you do get distracted... if I was doing them I would do it out in the middle of the broads where I could see if boats were coming with enough time.

Doing donuts in a boat of decent size seems more dangerous. PWC are built for it and are very tough to flip. Boats dont give me that feeling, and I have seen plenty of boats flip over the years due to idiotic moves.

About the comment "it was the Jet-Ski's inability to manuver that gave such craft its awful—and too-often-fatal—"rep""

Is that a typo? I don't understand. I have never driven anything with more ability to manuver than a jetski.

Like everything else, its not a problem with PWC, or boats, or guns, or whatever the topic is. It's the stupid people that control them.
SOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 05:08 PM   #14
Tank151

Default Boneheads Still Operating

I think the licensing program has done a very good job "weeding out" the boneheads, but I guess we still have a few on the waterways...

Tank151
Boat Safely
Tank151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 08:57 PM   #15
Bear Islander

Well I must be the exception because I have been thrown off my SeaDoo more times than I can remember. My favorite maneuver is to go full speed in a strait line, lean my weight over the handlebars while giving a slight turn to one side then full turn the other way. This causes the PWC to pivot on its axis and you are going backwards at high speed. If you don't do it right however you end of being thrown into the water.

If you are catching some big air and come down on the side of a wake you are parallel to, the PWC can roll so quickly you get thrown off. Sometimes the PWC will roll upside-down when this happens.

Another fun trick is to go full speed in a strait line, lean over the handlebars, shift half way between forward and reverse then gun it. The trust goes strait down causing the rear end to left and the pointed bow slices under the water and the PWC goes submarine. You obviously get thrown off because no way you can hold on underwater.
Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 10:06 PM   #16
SIKSUKR

Sounds like pretty unsafe operation to me. These are exactly the kind of manuevers that give PWC's a bad rap. I think somebody is toying with us here and trying to stoke the fire. These are the type of watercraft operaters that need to be shown proper behavior in the busy waters of Winni. Any craft doing sudden turns that would be very difficult for others in there path to know what there intentions are are the very type of people that should be targeted for the unsafe conditions that exist on the lake. A boat going 60 mph in a straight line is infinately more safe period!
Old 08-08-2009, 10:27 PM   #17
Bear Islander

I think it goes without saying that only an idiot would do these things if other boats are around.

Then again the world is full of idiots.
Old 08-09-2009, 06:27 AM   #18
Tank151

Default Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Islander View Post
Well I must be the exception because I have been thrown off my SeaDoo more times than I can remember. My favorite maneuver is to go full speed in a strait line, lean my weight over the handlebars while giving a slight turn to one side then full turn the other way. This causes the PWC to pivot on its axis and you are going backwards at high speed. If you don't do it right however you end of being thrown into the water.

If you are catching some big air and come down on the side of a wake you are parallel to, the PWC can roll so quickly you get thrown off. Sometimes the PWC will roll upside-down when this happens.

Another fun trick is to go full speed in a strait line, lean over the handlebars, shift half way between forward and reverse then gun it. The trust goes strait down causing the rear end to left and the pointed bow slices under the water and the PWC goes submarine. You obviously get thrown off because no way you can hold on underwater.
This is the reason why the state should ban PWC's (or DPWC's - Dumb Personal Water Crafts) from the lake!

Tank
Old 08-09-2009, 08:11 PM   #19
jeffk

Quote:

I have been thrown off mine once hard enough to stun me for a few seconds. I have almost gotten thrown off several times.

All times I was pushing the envelope in tight turns. The turning characteristics of my jet ski is such that it generally holds a turn smoothly unless it catches one of the chines. At that point it digs in hard and snaps the PWC around. It you're going fast enough or your weight is shifted wrong, you are going off.

Part of the fun of PWCs is this kind of maneuverability but of course you need to do this well away from other people. As with many things like this there is an element of danger and it's probably a good idea to have a spotter with you on a separate PWC.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 06:42 AM   #20
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffk View Post
I have been thrown off mine once hard enough to stun me for a few seconds. I have almost gotten thrown off several times.

All times I was pushing the envelope in tight turns. The turning characteristics of my jet ski is such that it generally holds a turn smoothly unless it catches one of the chines. At that point it digs in hard and snaps the PWC around. It you're going fast enough or your weight is shifted wrong, you are going off.

Part of the fun of PWCs is this kind of maneuverability but of course you need to do this well away from other people. As with many things like this there is an element of danger and it's probably a good idea to have a spotter with you on a separate PWC.
I have limited PWC experience, but ride sport motorcycles often. Can you hang off the inside PWC in a corner to increase your cornering speed like you can on a bike? See below:

Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 01:22 PM   #21
4Fun

Actually Dave it's the opposite. If you hang of the inside you tend to spin out really easy. If you hang off the outside you stay upright and keep the "V" in the water and it will corner as hard as you can hold on.

I have been thrown off once on My SeaDoo. If you ever wondered what happens when you try a 360 slide at 45MPH... You end up 50' from your machine!!. Just give a quick look around for traffic before you try it though
4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 11:26 AM   #22
Coastal Laker

Default Sounds like fun actually

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Islander View Post

I wouldn't let the negative responses about irresponsible behavior get to you. Some of the stuff you describe is why some people buy these toys. Obviously there is a time and place for everything and you have to be aware of your surroundings, have people standing by in case something goes wrong, etc.

This reminds me where "Extreme Sports" gets its name. It doesn't come from granny-safe behavior.
Coastal Laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 11:49 AM   #23
jeffk

Default Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank151 View Post
This is the reason why the state should ban PWC's (or DPWC's - Dumb Personal Water Crafts) from the lake!

Tank
People climb mountains, water and snow ski, sky dive, race all sorts of things, and do all sorts of dangerous activities that can injure and kill them.

If someone picks a quiet spot on the lake and does some playing around why is that anyone's concern but theirs?

If they do it near people they should be arrested. They are supposed to use discretion. That is true in many aspects of our lives. We can drive down the highway at 65 MPH perfectly legally but not down Main Street at the same speed. Yes there are laws but any fool should know the difference.

Behavior on the water puts far more responsibility on the operator of a vehicle to use common sense than does a car driver. Car driving has all sorts of signs,markers, etc to define proper behavior. Boating's primary rule is "Don't hit anyone else". It's a very broad rule.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 12:26 PM   #24
VtSteve

Quote:
People climb mountains, water and snow ski, sky dive, race all sorts of things, and do all sorts of dangerous activities that can injure and kill them.

If someone picks a quiet spot on the lake and does some playing around why is that anyone's concern but theirs?

If they do it near people they should be arrested. They are supposed to use discretion. That is true in many aspects of our lives. We can drive down the highway at 65 MPH perfectly legally but not down Main Street at the same speed. Yes there are laws but any fool should know the difference.

Behavior on the water puts far more responsibility on the operator of a vehicle to use common sense than does a car driver. Car driving has all sorts of signs,markers, etc to define proper behavior. Boating's primary rule is "Don't hit anyone else". It's a very broad rule.
And remarkably, given all the past and current discussion of Mayhem and Wild Wild West mentality, there are very, very few collisions on Winni. If anyone has a thirty year list of all accidents on Winni, it would be a pleasure to see it.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:40 PM   #25
ApS

Thumbs down NIMBY, please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtSteve
"...If anyone has a thirty year list of all accidents on Winni, it would be a pleasure to see it..."
It bears repeating that the lake is a much safer place!

(Now that the collision-report threshhold is above $2000).

Quote:
"...If someone picks a quiet spot on the lake and does some playing around why is that anyone's concern but theirs...?"
Isn't every spot on Winnipesaukee quiet until "someone picks it"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank
"...This is the reason why the state should ban PWC's (or DPWC's - Dumb Personal Water Crafts) from the lake! Tank..."
Kinda harsh?

Not to change the subject, but there IS a new Jet-Ski that is electric-powered!

Anyone wondering what this development will do to improve the Jet-Ski image?

Old 08-11-2009, 04:27 PM   #26
Bear Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal Laker View Post
I wouldn't let the negative responses about irresponsible behavior get to you. Some of the stuff you describe is why some people buy these toys. Obviously there is a time and place for everything and you have to be aware of your surroundings, have people standing by in case something goes wrong, etc.

This reminds me where "Extreme Sports" gets its name. It doesn't come from granny-safe behavior.
The negative responces don't trouble me. They are either being silly, or have not thought the idea through.

Every type of vehicle can and will be used in extreme ways. Even airplanes do stunts. Bicycles, Cars, PWCs, Kayaks, Skis etc. They are all taken to their extremes for sport, fun or profit. Obviously those involved must make sure these activities is done at the right place and time.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:35 PM   #27
VtSteve

APS, I just have to find you a private lake. I'll throw in an APS measurement and boat counting tool for free

And BI? I'm really starting to think we need to open some sort of discussions regarding the unsafe, Radically Unsafe behavior on PWC's on the lake. I know people are frightened, even terrified by the sight of these donut monsters.

Is there some sort of warning posted when these crazy people are out on the water
Old 08-12-2009, 06:36 AM   #28
tis

Thanked 1,379 Times in 955 Posts

Every type of vehicle can and will be used in extreme ways. Even airplanes do stunts. Bicycles, Cars, PWCs, Kayaks, Skis etc. They are all taken to their extremes for sport, fun or profit. Obviously those involved must make sure these activities is done at the right place and time.[/QUOTE]

Sorry the quote above was BI's. I erased the part that makes it work!

Which is why we don't need to ban ANYTHING! Everything is safe if operated properly. We don't need to have speed limits, we don't need to ban crusiers, or sailboats, or kayaks, or canoes, or rowboats (not that you see too many rowboats any more)or whatever! Ban the boneheads!
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 08:43 AM   #29
Tank151

Default Being "Harsh" on PWC's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second View Post
It bears repeating that the lake is a much safer place!

(Now that the collision-report threshhold is above $2000).

Isn't every spot on Winnipesaukee quiet until "someone picks it"?

Kinda harsh?

Not to change the subject, but there IS a new Jet-Ski that is electric-powered!

Anyone wondering what this development will do to improve the Jet-Ski image?

APS,

Sorry for being "harsh" towards PWC's, but I was hit by one in Paugus Bay several years ago. After a great day of boating, my wife and I were heading home to port when we noticed a Jet Ski being operated similar to how BI operates his/hers? The operator was criss-crossing boat wakes, closely crossing in-front, between and behind boat traffic entering and exiting the Weirs channel. I was heading south doing about 30 mph (not in the channel)when my wife mentioned to "be careful, this guy is not paying attention". As I slowed down, the operator cut in front of my boat from the port side, spun his PWC and hit the throttle and hit me on my port side. Like BI, he was having "so much fun" he didn't see me? Luckily my craft was stopped at head-way speed or the accident could have been worse.

The operator was 12 years old, just up from Florida in which his uncle gave him the key's to take the PWC for a spin. After the collision the Jet Ski was operable, but all smashed-up. I checked with the operator to see if he was injured? He wasn't, but was preparing to leave the scene. I informed him that the MP was en-route and I gave them his registration number, so I wouldn't recommend it!

Boating for over 35 years, I've had several other instances where PWC operators have operated their craft similar to BI jeopordizing both themselves as well as me, family and friends. A couple of those instances, I was able to obtain the registration numbers and report to the MP

Although there are boneheads operating other types of watercraft, my experience generally rates PWC operators as the most unsafe. It's one of the reasons they have been "banned" from areas or outright on several lakes
in NH.

Tank
Old 08-12-2009, 08:56 AM   #30
VtSteve

Default I hate to agree

but in my experience, not perception, the most dangerous "operators", not vessels, have been riding PWC's. It's not even a close call from own own experiences, a very distant number two are family style runabouts towing tubers. A large percentage of both crafts seem to be distracted from their primary duties.

It would also seem to me that while some think the lake is a much safer place this year, others do not. Are their fears and perceptions being ignored? I think they are.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:42 AM   #31
chipj29

Quote:
Although there are boneheads operating other types of watercraft, my experience generally rates PWC operators as the most unsafe. It's one of the reasons they have been "banned" from areas or outright on several lakes in NH.

Tank
While I would certainly agree that there are some very reckless PWC operators (including the 12 year old that hit you, and the owner of the PWC he was riding), there are reckless drivers fo all boat types. Which are there more of? I don't know. PWCs get the recognition, mainly because people don't like them and are watch them closer. Maybe it is because there are more of them. I can tell you this, there are many many responsible PWC riders.

However, I do disagree with your assertion that PWCs or "ski craft" were banned from any areas or lakes due to reckless behavior of PWC riders. At least that is how it appears on paper, as the reasons are cited as size of the body of water etc. Can't really define "reckless" in legal terms (too many variables), and they can't say they are banned because waterfront property owners didn't like them, so they went with size of the body of water.
Old 08-12-2009, 05:41 PM   #32
travaler18

Default perspective RULE OF THUMB

ANYONE BOATING FASTER THEN ME IS A MANIAC ------ANYONE BOATINGSLOWER IS A MORON .I SET THE PACE applies to cars too
travaler18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 06:33 PM   #33
codeman671

Arrow

Quote:
APS,

Sorry for being "harsh" towards PWC's, but I was hit by one in Paugus Bay several years ago.
Quote:
The operator was 12 years old
Tank,

You are criticizing all pwc owners/operators because a 12 year old hit you? In case you don't know the law, a 12 year old is not legally able to operate a pwc...

I tend to be a maniac on a pwc myself, but also do it when I am far away from boats, land or any other objects. I got my first pwc in 1996 and have been riding ever since. Don't be so quick to blame every pwc rider for what a 12 year old did to you. Same goes for other laws on the lake these days...
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 07:06 PM   #34
VtSteve

My closer calls with the PWC's are more recent, and "mostly", adult riders. What many of them do near our beach with many anchored boats is pretty outrageous.

As for other laws on the lakes? Many of them don't seem to be enforced either.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:10 AM   #35
Tank151

Default Codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
Tank,

You are criticizing all pwc owners/operators because a 12 year old hit you? In case you don't know the law, a 12 year old is not legally able to operate a pwc...

I tend to be a maniac on a pwc myself, but also do it when I am far away from boats, land or any other objects. I got my first pwc in 1996 and have been riding ever since. Don't be so quick to blame every pwc rider for what a 12 year old did to you. Same goes for other laws on the lake these days...
Yes, he was operating the PWC illegally...MP took care of it! As my opinion, it's not only based on the incident with the 12 year old? If you read my response, I've observed many PWC operators (all ages) driving recklessly!

I appreciate that you take care when operating your PWC, but alot DON'T! There's a reason why they're banned in certain areas and several lakes???

Tank
Old 08-18-2009, 09:55 AM   #36
SIKSUKR

Quote:
There's a reason why they're banned in certain areas and several lakes???
Tank
That's not totally correct. Any 3-up pwc is considered a boat. Mine is registered as a boat and is not banned anywhere except where hp is a limitation.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:02 AM   #37
Winnicandle

Quote:

Tank
Or ban ignorant people from the earth? or old people from boating? - PWC aren't banned from anywhere, they are boats like any other boat.

Moms doing donuts towing brats on tubes are far more a concern to me than PWC users. Relating one moron 12 year olds actions on a PWC and we should ban them all?

please....Lets get the "state" banning stuff huh? I mean that worked so well in Nazi Germany?

Stop crying for gvt help for chrissake, its not just your lake!!
Old 08-18-2009, 11:59 AM   #38
VtSteve

Many states have banned them in some areas, just as there are HP and other motorboat restrictions. PWC's are banned on waterways 300 acres or less over here, plus Lake Willoughby, which is far larger than that. Just as some are very annoyed by big loud boats, many don't like to constant sound of the PWC's racing around either.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:40 PM   #39
ossipeeboater

having a couple of PWC's myself I'm not a hater but have to say we are our own worst enemy. I like screwing around much like BI does but theres a time and place for it not like the idiot doing it in front of the entrance to the channel sat afternoon or the ones sunday morning taking off coming out of the channel at WOT within a boat length of a couple of boats entering the channel. BEcause of the large amount of bonehead moves PWC's are more closely watched than other boats and I have to say it's pretty much justified.
ossipeeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 03:12 PM   #40
VtSteve

There's a lot of PWC owners that use them as second boats, so they're not unaware of the rules and people's likes and dislikes. Many have good common sense. The lake here they were banned on is to to a plethora of towed in and even rentals that buzzed around in front of people's houses and camps. Doing donuts and the usual stuff, which is fun as heck.

Might be a good time to intermingle things that annoy many people. Many waterfront owners on Winni, and many, many other lakes, just don't want to hear the extremely loud exhausts anymore. It does get monotonous at times I will admit it. Just like PWC owners, they have to compromise somewhere, and noise is an obvious place to start. Everyone's had to compromise at some point or another, it's only fair.

For PWC's the irresistible urge to jump wakes, do donuts and wild turns, is precisely what gets people irate at them.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:49 AM   #41
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtSteve View Post
There's a lot of PWC owners that use them as second boats, so they're not unaware of the rules and people's likes and dislikes. Many have good common sense.
Many waterfront owners on Winni, and many, many other lakes, just don't want to hear the extremely loud exhausts anymore. It does get monotonous at times I will admit it.
For PWC's the irresistible urge to jump wakes, do donuts and wild turns, is precisely what gets people irate at them.
I am one of those that use mine as a boat.And for precisely the annoying reasons you stated above,I do not run mine around in circles and in front of the same property over and over because it also annoys me.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:43 AM   #42
Tank151

Default Please!

Quote:
Or ban ignorant people from the earth? or old people from boating? - PWC aren't banned from anywhere, they are boats like any other boat.

Moms doing donuts towing brats on tubes are far more a concern to me than PWC users. Relating one moron 12 year olds actions on a PWC and we should ban them all?

please....Lets get the "state" banning stuff huh? I mean that worked so well in Nazi Germany?

Stop crying for gvt help for chrissake, its not just your lake!!
(See additional posts regarding PWC's, past and present) Yes, it's not my lake, but other's have problems these with PWC's.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:53 AM   #43
Winnicandle

Quote:
(See additional posts regarding PWC's, past and present) Yes, it's not my lake, but other's have problems these with PWC's. SSTFU
STFU??

HEY WHIPPERSNAPERS - GET OFF MY LAWN!

You have one incident with a 12yr old kid on a jetski and you lump all uses into that group. Most PWC riders I see/know are very courteous and cautions. Rental boaters and clueless weekend warriors/moms with brats on tubes are FAR more dangerous on this lake.

What else can we ban today to make the world like it was back in the golden years?
Old 08-20-2009, 08:31 AM   #44
codeman671

Quote:
Yes, he was operating the PWC illegally...MP took care of it! As my opinion, it's not only based on the incident with the 12 year old? If you read my response, I've observed many PWC operators (all ages) driving recklessly!

I appreciate that you take care when operating your PWC, but alot DON'T! There's a reason why they're banned in certain areas and several lakes???

Tank
And I have witnessed just as many if not more boaters doing equally as stupid things... Should we ban boats too and get it over with?

As mentioned in other posts, 3 seaters are considered boats. If they are over a specific length they are not considered "ski craft" as the NH books call them. At this point, the laws pertain to them just like any other boat, with the exception that they cannot be operated at night due to lack of lights.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 11:55 AM   #45
Seeker

Default Crazy

Went over to Long Lake in Naples, Maine yesterday. There must be a sign somewhere that I missed saying "Rules, we don't need no stinkin' rules". No I wasn't boating, just took a drive. I would not boat on that lake. Last time I was out on it was 3 years ago and I watched as a boat cutoff a floatplane on final for landing. Luckily the guy owns the base there so was probably expecting some bonehead move.
Saw just about every violation of rules of the road yesterday so can only imagine what it would be like on a weekend. Never saw anything anywhere near as bad on Winnie.
Maybe there is a happy medium somewhere between no rules and too many stupid ones.

Last edited by Seeker; 08-20-2009 at 11:56 AM. Reason: spelling
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 01:40 PM   #46
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
Went over to Long Lake in Naples, Maine yesterday. There must be a sign somewhere that I missed saying "Rules, we don't need no stinkin' rules". No I wasn't boating, just took a drive. I would not boat on that lake. Last time I was out on it was 3 years ago and I watched as a boat cutoff a floatplane on final for landing. Luckily the guy owns the base there so was probably expecting some bonehead move.
Saw just about every violation of rules of the road yesterday so can only imagine what it would be like on a weekend. Never saw anything anywhere near as bad on Winnie.
Maybe there is a happy medium somewhere between no rules and too many stupid ones.

Long Lake is not so bad... Try the Manasquan River/ICW in by Point Pleasant, NJ some time.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote