Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2012, 04:22 PM   #1
riverat

Default Nhf&g - ice conditions unsafe on parts of lake winnipesaukee

Lt. James Goss: (603) 271-3127
Liza Poinier: (603) 271-3211
February 8, 2012

ICE CONDITIONS UNSAFE ON PARTS OF LAKE WINNIPESAUKEE AND OTHER LARGE LAKES

CONCORD, N.H. -- New Hampshire Fish and Game Department officials warn that this winter's above-normal temperatures and high winds have affected ice formation, particularly on the large lakes. People are being strongly urged to use caution before venturing onto the ice, especially with the start of the Meredith Rotary Ice Fishing Derby (February 11-12) just days away.

A recent aerial survey of Lake Winnipesaukee by the N.H. Civil Air Patrol revealed treacherous ice conditions, including some areas of open water, over much of New Hampshire's largest lake. Photos of Lake Winnipesaukee taken by the N.H. Civil Air Patrol on February 4 show large river-like strips of open water running from the south tip of Rattlesnake Island both east and west completely across the lake. Open water could be observed both northeast of and southwest of Rattlesnake Island. In the area known as the "Broads," numerous cracks appear to have separated, revealing open water. Another long opening in the ice runs from Welch to Lockes Island, and there are some areas of open water in the bay formed by the end of Moultonboro Neck, Timber and Governors Island.

"Many areas that have traditionally been safe for ice anglers and other outdoor recreationists are not safe this year," said Fish and Game Lt. James Goss. "We are urging people to use the utmost caution before you go out onto any frozen waterbody. Especially with this year's unusual weather patterns, don't take chances -- be sure to check the ice thickness for yourself."

Because of the unpredictable ice conditions, it is not advisable to drive vehicles onto the ice, Goss said. Those on foot should carefully assess ice safety before venturing out by using an ice chisel or auger to determine ice thickness and condition. Continue to do this as you get further out on to the ice, because the thickness of the ice will not be uniform all over the waterbody.

Though all ice is potentially dangerous, the U.S. Army Cold Regions Research & Engineering Laboratory in Hanover, N.H., offers a "rule of thumb" on ice thickness: There should be a minimum of six inches of hard ice before individual foot travel, and eight to ten inches of hard ice for snow machine or All-Terrain Vehicle travel.

Keep in mind that thick ice does not always mean safe ice. It is possible for ice to be thick, but not strong, because of varying weather conditions. Weak ice is formed when warming trends break down ice, then the slushy surface re-freezes. Be especially careful of areas with current, such as inlets, outlets and spring holes, where the ice can be dangerously thin.

Tips for staying safe on the ice include:

-- Stay off the ice along the shoreline if it is cracked or squishy. Don't go on the ice during thaws.

-- Watch out for thin, clear or honeycombed ice. Dark snow and ice may also indicate weak spots.

-- Small bodies of water tend to freeze thicker. Rivers and lakes are more prone to wind, currents and wave action that weaken ice.

-- Don't gather in large groups or drive large vehicles onto the ice.

-- If you do break through the ice, don't panic. Move or swim back to where you fell in, where you know the ice was solid. Lay both arms on the unbroken ice and kick hard. This will help lift your body onto the ice. A set of ice picks can help you pull yourself out if you do fall through the ice; wear them around your neck or put them in an easily accessible pocket. Once out of the water, roll away from the hole until you reach solid ice.

Ice safety is also very important for snowmobilers. Don't assume a trail is safe just because it exists; ask about trail conditions at local snowmobile clubs or sporting goods shops before you go.

To view the aerial photos of Lake Winnipesaukee taken by the N.H. Civil Air Patrol on February 4, 2012, visit http://www.wildnh.com/Newsroom/News_...ty_020912.html.

To download a brochure from Fish and Game called "Safety on Ice - Tips for Anglers," visit http://www.wildnh.com/Fishing/Fishin...y_Brochure.pdf.

More ice advice from CRREL: http://www.crrel.usace.army.mil/ierd...ty/safety.html.

-###-
CTYankee (02-08-2012), DRH (02-08-2012), WakeboardMom (02-09-2012), Whimsey (02-09-2012)
Old 02-08-2012, 06:15 PM   #2
NoBozo

Default Excellent Advice

Those who have experience...The VAST majority.. will have no problem with the ICE, wherever they go. They KNOW what to look for. Those who Don't have experience with the ICE will find out soon enough. SAD but true. NB

BEST ADVICE: Don't Go ALONE.

EDIT: This does NOT mean go TWO Up on your snow machine.

Last edited by NoBozo; 02-08-2012 at 07:00 PM.
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:42 PM   #3
Merrymeeting

Returning today after being gone for a week, I was amazed at how much had opened up on the Merrymeeting River. Large areas that had been completely frozen since early January are now open again. While they skimmed over last night, the temps of the next few days will probably extend these areas, and this is the water that's flowing into Alton Bay.

Be careful out there!
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:24 PM   #4
fatlazyless

www.weirsonline.com/fishingderby.htm

informs the reader that: "The February 11-12 derby has NOT been postponed!"

"Live Free or Die" says it all because people need to be responsible for their behavior and that includes making a personal decision to travel out across the lake which may have a few scattered naturally occuring openings in the ice. After all, the life you save could be your own!

Besides that, and more important, is that the derby brings a lot of tourist money into the area!

Maybe just for this one year, they could clear the little bit of snow off all the local tennis courts, and hold a Valentine's Day Tennis Tournament instead of an ice fishing derby? The Pond Hockey Classic did pretty good just last week on Lake Waukewan, so's let's hold a Pond Tennis Classic out on Lake Waukewan, too, and forget about ice fishing what with the "iffy" conditions for this one year!
Old 02-08-2012, 08:16 PM   #5
ahamer

Default im new to forum but native to lake

I have been just a taker from the forums but never a giver so I am what one would say as a new member and this is my first post and must say I tip my hat to everyone on this site and thank everyone for the posts. I am a local that enjoys the ice fishing season more than the summer because I am in the A/C buisness. With this introduction I would like to say that "us" fisherman who know the lake and, as a local, snowmobile out to our shack but we are not "the norm".. Again with this I must say that the ice outside the bays and coves is not that great because of our winter. I will even confess to being "the guy" who had his bobhouse breakthrough in alton but my stupidity led to that result. I hope we have a safe Derby and I am glad to finally be a member with some input.
ahamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ahamer For This Useful Post:
Merrymeeting (02-09-2012)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2012, 08:43 PM   #6
camp guy

Default Ice conditions and Derby

The Derby brings in a huge amount of money to the entire lakes region, and the temptation to go ice fishing is strong, but, please, DO NOT IGNORE THE WARNINGS ABOUT UNSAFE ICE for the sake of the economy.

I can't go quite far enough to join FLL in a tennis match, but there must be things to do and have fun that are safe. Falling through thin ice is neither fun nor safe.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to camp guy For This Useful Post:
Belmont Resident (02-09-2012)
Old 02-09-2012, 06:45 AM   #7
Belmont Resident

Default Safety 2nd.

Safety is 2nd this year. That is what was the topic of conversation at a local watering hole yesterday near Winnisquam. Many locals, and they were ice fisherman, feel that as mentioned above the benefits of the dollar are out weighing concerns over the safety of those coming into the area and all agreed that having the derby is a bad idea.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:02 AM   #8
dpg

Wonder if there would be basis for a lawsuit if someone falls through? People have sued for dumber things and won.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:26 AM   #9
fatlazyless

From today's Feb 9 Laconia Daily Sun: http://www.laconiadailysun.com/story...s-ice-not-safe

Dsspite the title of the url, the article is evenly written and shows boths sides of the safe-not safe argument......it's all about being responsible for one's own safety......just like when you go out in a boat.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:40 AM   #10
Mink Islander

Default Derby

Where on the Derby website does it guarantee the ticket buyer that if they go on the ice anywhere in NH this weekend, they are guaranteed that conditions will be perfect and you have no risk? Where does it say you have to fish on Lake Winnipesaukee, and not any of the other smaller lakes that have better, more consistent ice conditions?

F and G is doing what they should to publicize that conditions are highly variable this year, particularly on the big lake. It's not like this is the first year we've had open water in certain parts of the lake at this time of the year.

I have little doubt that derby participation will be down. I have a bit more confidence that people will be more cautious this year. I guess we'll know for sure on Sunday evening.
Mink Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:55 AM   #11
SAB1

Its all about the money. The ice conditions have not been great all season. The natives all know what to do and what not to do its the inexperienced that are the problem. The Rotary Club has had plenty of time and could easily have changed it up so that the fishing occurred on non Winni bodies of water where ice is better if they wanted to. Looks like F&G did their part to warn the morons to stay off if they are inexperienced. Hopefully no one goes thru and the F&G CO's don't get put in bad situations rescuing people.
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:58 AM   #12
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts
Default My Take

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink Islander View Post
Where on the Derby website does it guarantee the ticket buyer that if they go on the ice anywhere in NH this weekend, they are guaranteed that conditions will be perfect and you have no risk? Where does it say you have to fish on Lake Winnipesaukee, and not any of the other smaller lakes that have better, more consistent ice conditions?

F and G is doing what they should to publicize that conditions are highly variable this year, particularly on the big lake. It's not like this is the first year we've had open water in certain parts of the lake at this time of the year.

I have little doubt that derby participation will be down. I have a bit more confidence that people will be more cautious this year. I guess we'll know for sure on Sunday evening.

Mink Islander;

Let me give you my perspective... The Derby is a charity run event. It's all about getting out ice fishing with family and friends for a good cause. While 99% of ice fisherman are responsible and act in a safe manner, what about the 8 year old kid who was following his father who falls in the 1% category?? Is this youngster responsible for his actions? Yes the father is an idiot but what about the kid?

The other thing I have an issue with is when the Rotary posted this on February 7th on their facebook page... "The ice is in good shape in Center Harbor, 20 Mile Bay, 19 Mile Bay, Alton Bay and other locations on Lake Winnipesaukee." The fact is ice is NOT in good shape and anyone who has been out there knows this. Here is another excerpt posted from a well known Professional guide on Winni ice fishing the same day!!... "Ice gets all soft everyday at noon, like march ice it stinks. More and more ridges and gaping cracks pop up everyday its as bad a si have seen it because its too warm for any of them to re freeze at all, very dangerous situations all over. lots of them are up to 10 feet wide with just plain open water, uncrossable."

How can their be such a disparity of ice conditions noted on the same day?? You will notice that the guide used the term "very dangerous situations all over". Yes Alton bay is safe around the band stand but someone must realize Alton Bay is at least 5 miles long and is no where near safe especially out beyond Sandy Point.

So let's now take that father that falls in the 1% category who reads this misinformation and heads right out to Alton bay with his young son and decides to head to far end of Alton bay because he read it was safe.... Get my point? And yes I also realize there are other stocked lakes in the state but most of them are not in good shape either.

In my opinion since this is simply a charity event, what would have been the big deal to delay or if necessary cancel the event?? Wouldn't erring on the side of safety and caution be the deciding factor here? It's supposed to be a fun family event not a do it no matter what event. Maybe I would of felt differently if they had not posted what I consider an irresponsible post on their facebook page.

Anyway, that's my take and I am sure many will not agree with me and I am fine with that.

I hope everyone attending will have a fun and safe time. As for me, I will be at the boat show in Boston!!

Good luck to all!

Dan

Last edited by ishoot308; 02-09-2012 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Spelling
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ishoot308 For This Useful Post:
brk-lnt (02-09-2012)
Old 02-09-2012, 09:58 AM   #13
Merrymeeting

Of course it's about the money, amoung other things. Not to imply that's a bad thing.

The Lakes Region is primarily based on a tourist economy. To have an event that helps sustain that economy during the winter just makes sense. The fact that it is an event that many, many enjoy and make plans around makes it better.

History has shown that if an event like this loses momentum (or income) in any given year, it's chances of survival for the future dim. I have no problem with the event continuing. If the approprate warnings are given and appropriate modifications made (and I think they have been and will be), there is no reason why the event can't be held.

The organizers should not be held responsible for stupidity. Those who would ignore the warnings will do so at some point, whether with this event or not.

(I am not a fisherman nor have I ever attended the derby, so I don't have a vested interest here)
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Merrymeeting For This Useful Post:
AC2717 (02-09-2012), Belmont Resident (02-09-2012), Jonas Pilot (02-09-2012), KPW (02-10-2012)
Old 02-09-2012, 11:02 AM   #14
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Arrow Another Safety Warning

If you do venture out onto any ice and bring your four legged friend, please keep them with you on a leash.

Years ago another Forum member lost their dog to thin ice. Don't let this happen to you!

According to Lake Winnipesaukee Weather Cam, water temperatures are on the rise.

Water Temperature at 2 ft: 35.3 °F

Water Temperature at 10 ft: 37.4 °F

Please be careful out there!
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rattlesnake Gal For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (02-09-2012)
Old 02-09-2012, 11:15 AM   #15
riverat

I would think that the rotary would atleast spend a few bucks to make up a few signs to post and popular access points around the lake and annouce a warning on the radio and tv. that atleast would be considered an effort on their part to warn the masses from mass to the conditions.
Belmont Resident (02-09-2012), ishoot308 (02-09-2012)
Old 02-09-2012, 11:47 AM   #16
bt99

Some of the aerial survey pictures from the Civil Air Patrol can be seen on iceshanty.com
bt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 12:22 PM   #17
gtagrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Mink Islander;

Let me give you my perspective... The Derby is a charity run event. It's all about getting out ice fishing with family and friends for a good cause. While 99% of ice fisherman are responsible and act in a safe manner, what about the 8 year old kid who was following his father who falls in the 1% category?? Is this youngster responsible for his actions? Yes the father is an idiot but what about the kid?

The other thing I have an issue with is when the Rotary posted this on February 7th on their facebook page... "The ice is in good shape in Center Harbor, 20 Mile Bay, 19 Mile Bay, Alton Bay and other locations on Lake Winnipesaukee." The fact is ice is NOT in good shape and anyone who has been out there knows this. Here is another excerpt posted from a well known Professional guide on Winni ice fishing the same day!!... "Ice gets all soft everyday at noon, like march ice it stinks. More and more ridges and gaping cracks pop up everyday its as bad a si have seen it because its too warm for any of them to re freeze at all, very dangerous situations all over. lots of them are up to 10 feet wide with just plain open water, uncrossable."

How can their be such a disparity of ice conditions noted on the same day?? You will notice that the guide used the term "very dangerous situations all over". Yes Alton bay is safe around the band stand but someone must realize Alton Bay is at least 5 miles long and is no where near safe especially out beyond Sandy Point.

So let's now take that father that falls in the 1% category who reads this misinformation and heads right out to Alton bay with his young son and decides to head to far end of Alton bay because he read it was safe.... Get my point? And yes I also realize there are other stocked lakes in the state but most of them are not in good shape either.

In my opinion since this is simply a charity event, what would have been the big deal to delay or if necessary cancel the event?? Wouldn't erring on the side of safety and caution be the deciding factor here? It's supposed to be a fun family event not a do it no matter what event. Maybe I would of felt differently if they had not posted what I consider an irresponsible post on their facebook page.

Anyway, that's my take and I am sure many will not agree with me and I am fine with that.

I hope everyone attending will have a fun and safe time. As for me, I will be at the boat show in Boston!!

Good luck to all!

Dan
Maybe Donnamatrix can weight in on this?
gtagrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 01:20 PM   #18
Blue Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bt99 View Post
Some of the aerial survey pictures from the Civil Air Patrol can be seen on iceshanty.com
The link for those photos is in the original post. Just sayin'

BT
Old 02-10-2012, 12:32 AM   #19
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtagrip View Post
Maybe Donnamatrix can weight in on this?
I saw vehicles way out on the lake in Center Harbor today.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 01:33 PM   #20
CateP

Default Smart Fishing

I saw some guys over here in Wolfeboro in skiffs and canoes sitting on the ice.
CateP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 04:16 PM   #21
WakeboardMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by CateP View Post
I saw some guys over here in Wolfeboro in skiffs and canoes sitting on the ice.
That's awesome. Good thinking! No pictures, Cate?