Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2014, 09:09 PM   #1
gecko1

Default Jet Ski Lifts

I recently purchased a home on Mark Island and plan on purchasing a couple of jet skis this spring. I have done some research on lifts and I am now thoroughly confused. I originally was going to purchase a couple of manual crank up lifts (Hewitt - about $1300 a piece) but was told by the previous owner that he had these at one point and if not readjusted as the water level changes combined with some rough wakes due to the boat traffic - you can lose your skis. Since I won't be up every weekend, I don't want to deal with having to move or adjust and potentially forget to do. Several people have recommend the Sunstream hydraulic lifts. Everyone seems to have positive things to say but they are $4500 a piece new. Finally, I am wondering if some 8 foot Monarch mooring whips ($399 per set) would do the job and protect the skis from weather and boat wakes.

Not looking to go cheap but spending $10,000 on lifts feels crazy to me but I want to make sure I listen to others and don't learn the hard way! Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
gecko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gecko1 For This Useful Post:
Closetzguy (03-18-2014)
Old 03-17-2014, 11:15 PM   #2
jazzman

You don't want to leave anything in the water on an island if you're not there to keep an eye on it. Wind/storms/waves can be severe on the islands unless you're very well protected.
jazzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 05:43 AM   #3
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

I agree that you will have to adjust a manual crank up lift during the season. I did not adjust mine and my jet ski washed off of the lift and ended up being rescued by the neighbors, after bouncing off of a few rocks. Another lesson learned about waterfront living! I still use the lift but I am more careful about adjusting it and I tie the jet ski to the lift.

There are other alternatives to the Sunstream such as the floating drive-on docks or the tilting cradle types that actually sit on your dock. You might also check with Watermark because sometimes they have used equipment like lifts for sale.

As for the jet ski, I have, and really enjoy the Yamaha. Dependable, great handling, fast, and reasonably quiet. It is my fourth Yamaha and they just keep making them better.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:16 AM   #4
NHWakesurfer

Post shoreport

I've had good luck with these http://shoremaster.com/product/rhinoport/
The nice thing is you can load and unload very easily being able walk around the ski when its on the lift also its easy put the covers on the skis with the walking area. The only time I had an issue was during hurricane Irene and the storm waves broke one of the clamps off and the ski rolled off but I fixed that going forward with a third post on the connection points and a cleat on the dock vs using the one on the shoreport and haven't had an issue since. With that said if you can afford the sunstream lift that is the most secure way from what I found, I use one for my boat and love it I just couldn't justfy paying that much for the skis. You can get the shoreport drive on lift from Center Harbor Dock and Pier and you can get the sunstream from watermark. If you do get a drive on make sure if you have a dock or rocks in front of it you don't over throtle and slam into them. takes some practice.

have fun this summer if it ever comes
NHWakesurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:24 AM   #5
RLW

Smile

gecko1, I just noticed that you are fairly new to posting on the forum and glad you have joined us. Have fun and enjoy the Winni Forum while making many new friends.

Have fun and I'm sure you will get an answer that will meet your needs from the people here on the forum.

Last edited by RLW; 03-18-2014 at 07:24 AM. Reason: spelling correction
RLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2014, 09:18 AM   #6
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by gecko1 View Post
I recently purchased a home on Mark Island and plan on purchasing a couple of jet skis this spring. I have done some research on lifts and I am now thoroughly confused. I originally was going to purchase a couple of manual crank up lifts (Hewitt - about $1300 a piece) but was told by the previous owner that he had these at one point and if not readjusted as the water level changes combined with some rough wakes due to the boat traffic - you can lose your skis. Since I won't be up every weekend, I don't want to deal with having to move or adjust and potentially forget to do. Several people have recommend the Sunstream hydraulic lifts. Everyone seems to have positive things to say but they are $4500 a piece new. Finally, I am wondering if some 8 foot Monarch mooring whips ($399 per set) would do the job and protect the skis from weather and boat wakes.

Not looking to go cheap but spending $10,000 on lifts feels crazy to me but I want to make sure I listen to others and don't learn the hard way! Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Welcome to the forum Marc. Did you call Watermark to see if they have any used Sunstreams? Last fall they had a few, around $2500 each.

Since I know the house "rather" well, I know that the drive on ports will be a waste of money there. You could try leaving them on the moorings and hope that Marine Patrol doesn't bother you. A neighbor 2 houses down keeps a Sea Doo on a mooring all season in the cove.

You could always simply 4 way tie them (with snubbers) in an inside slip since you only have 1 boat at this time.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 12:11 PM   #7
fatlazyless

Here's something that may be of interest to you.

There are three different jet-ski lifts, that have been for sale since last summer, which are sitting in someone's front yard here in Meredith, directly across from the side road that goes down to Shep Brown's boat marina, so that would be across from the intersection of Meredith Neck Rd, and Lovejoy Sands Rd. All three are all aluminum construction, and designed to be attached to the side of a dock, and have a large wheel which get turned that raises or lowers a set of wood supports for a jet-ski.....or something like that.......if I remember correct. Do not know about the prices.

I was thinking about getting one last September for use with a 13' sailboat but decided against it.

They can be seen from the road there, plus there's also a boat trailer for sale too.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:22 PM   #8
Bear Islander

The cheapest answer by far is a mooring. If you have or can get a mooring permit you are all set. You could also tie the jet ski between the dock and a mooring or the dock and something on shore.

I have used a standard PWC lift and I agree they do not have enough lift to prevent having to adjust it during the season. The lifts that attach to the side of a dock however may have enough lift to keep you out of danger all season.
Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 05:59 PM   #9
gecko1

Default Jet Skis

Thanks for the feedback. I have called Watermark and they do not have any used inventory at this point. The house has two moorings but permits don't transfer. I applied but was denied since I couldn't "demonstrate need" since I only own one boat. I plan on going back to plead my case once I buy the jet skis. I will also check out Shoremaster.

Lots of options to think about and stuff to learn about island living. Thanks.
gecko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 06:43 PM   #10
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Gecko1;

As someone who also has an island home and has had a couple jet skis and mechanical lifts, I can tell you this...mechanical lifts are a royal pain in the a**!

Between the constant adjustment required over the course of the season and then having to take them in and out of the water in the spring and fall,which by the way you can't do by yourself, it got to the point for me where it simply wasn't worth it anymore.

My advice to you is spend the money and get the Sunstream or similar style auto-lift.

Good luck!

Dan
Old 03-18-2014, 06:54 PM   #11
fatlazyless

(603) 455-6336 is the phone number for the guy in post #7 in Meredith who has three different, used, jet-ski lifts sitting in his front yard since last September or so that are all for sale .....got the number off an orange and black hardware store "for sale" sign today.....all three are the single post style, all aluminum, with a large wheel that you turn which raises and lowers the jet-ski platform....designed to be attached to the side of a dock.....could be a steal of a deal.....no clue as to the prices?
Old 03-18-2014, 07:00 PM   #12
ITD

Hi Gecko,

I have two hewitt 1000# mechanical pwc lifts I have been using for over 10 years. I put them in around the end of May and set them so that the most of the cradle is under water when fully down, this lifts the PWC about a foot over the water when fully up. I have never had a pwc float off. Usually, on a normal year, I have to slide the lifts a foot or two into a little deeper water as the lake level lowers. I know to do this when it starts getting difficult to float the pwc off the cradle.

Cranking the wheels can be a tiresome but not too hard. The key is to make sure the pwc is high enough to not be knocked off by a wave. We are in an area that gets a lot of wave action on weekends and have never had a problem.

I did use to see a neighbor's pwc floating around the cove occasionally, they had the float drive on type, not a lift.

I would not moor my pwc as the aluminum parts will corrode. My PWCs are over 10 years old and still look pretty new, top and bottom, I use the lifts and covers.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:48 PM   #13
codeman671

With 4 slips and 1 boat I highly doubt that you will get anywhere pleading your case. It is mentioned on the application that under normal circumstances they will not issue permits for jet ski use.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:03 PM   #14
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
Hi Gecko,

I have two hewitt 1000# mechanical pwc lifts I have been using for over 10 years. I put them in around the end of May and set them so that the most of the cradle is under water when fully down, this lifts the PWC about a foot over the water when fully up. I have never had a pwc float off. Usually, on a normal year, I have to slide the lifts a foot or two into a little deeper water as the lake level lowers. I know to do this when it starts getting difficult to float the pwc off the cradle.

Cranking the wheels can be a tiresome but not too hard. The key is to make sure the pwc is high enough to not be knocked off by a wave. We are in an area that gets a lot of wave action on weekends and have never had a problem.

I did use to see a neighbor's pwc floating around the cove occasionally, they had the float drive on type, not a lift.

I would not moor my pwc as the aluminum parts will corrode. My PWCs are over 10 years old and still look pretty new, top and bottom, I use the lifts and covers.
I also have a Hewitt lift and my Seadoo floated away one spring when the water was very high. I did have the lift raised as high it wild go. I now also tie it to my dock in case this happens again.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:30 PM   #15
Wetbiker

a) Look into the floating ramps that attach to a beach or a dock
b) Build your own ramp so that you can drive on, crank it up when away, and slip it off when you want to go. Probably the cheapest route depending on how you do it, and if your capable. and the most convienent as well. Post a picture of your situation and maybe myself or others can give you some advice.
c) crank up lift that bolts to your dock and you can swivel onto the top of your dock.

Theres TONS of options, explore them all before you bite the bullet and spend 4500 on a chunk of metal and hydralics.
Wetbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 06:57 AM   #16
Merrymeeting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetbiker View Post
a) Look into the floating ramps that attach to a beach or a dock
When I did some research, I found many references to problems with this type of system if you live in an area exposed to high winds or rough conditions as we are. Watching our dock on some very rough days, I can see why this would be an issue. Continuous, 2-3' rollers would probably not mix well with a floating dock.

But we also have friends who have them in protected areas and they are great.

As always, your mileage may vary.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:14 AM   #17
EllyPoinster

Default A Really Cheap Solution

This may or may not work for you depending upon your waterfront but I simply tie my jet ski diagonally between a cleat on my dock and a pin on the shoreline. To describe the pin, think of a three foot long corkscrew made of at least half-inch steel with an eyelet on top. You just locate an appropriate spot and screw it into the ground. I have no idea where to get one - mine was on the property when I bought it 25 years ago. You do want to use a decent size line and be sure it is not being abraded. If the water level drops too much I simply move the line to a cleat further out on the dock. You probably want to have at least a couple of feet of water under the jet ski.

When I want to go for a ride, I just wade out to the jet ski, unhook it front and back and take off.
EllyPoinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 04:08 PM   #18
Tackleman

Default Jet Ski Lift

Look at Dyers in Nottingham. You can get one of their lefts brand new for 1169 dollars. They look really well made.
Tackleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:19 AM   #19
Winnisquamguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
You could always simply 4 way tie them (with snubbers) in an inside slip since you only have 1 boat at this time.
Codeman, could you explain but what you mean by a 4 way tie with snubbers. I tried google not much there. I have a Sea Doo that I put on the inside and it a PIA to tie and not get beat up. Thanks
Old 03-20-2014, 09:49 AM   #20
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnisquamguy View Post
Codeman, could you explain but what you mean by a 4 way tie with snubbers. I tried google not much there. I have a Sea Doo that I put on the inside and it a PIA to tie and not get beat up. Thanks
Rubber mooring snubbers in the dock lines will take a bit of the pressure off the line, that snap and jerk with the boat/ski rocks in the wake when the line hits its stretch limit.

You can also but elastic-type dock lines that provide the same dampening.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:51 AM   #21
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleman View Post
Look at Dyers in Nottingham. You can get one of their lefts brand new for 1169 dollars. They look really well made.
I had 2 of the Dyers lifts originally. They are the standard crank ups. My skis both washed off them one day, causing thousands in damage. Granted I did not have them tied off to the lift as most people don't, but even still they would have been bet up unless they were really securely tied down.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:57 AM   #22
ITD

I think placement is important. It's easier to crank up when you only lift a few inches above the water but the waves will cause problems. I place in the shallowist water possible and always crank to the highest possible and have never had a problem in Blackeys cove. We get some big wakes. If I were exposed to full Broads waves then I would probably use a tie down strap or winch onto dry land. From what I've seen my pwcs don't sit on a dock or moor well.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 12:18 PM   #23
SIKSUKR

If you have dock space this is an option.I'd probably want an elecrtic winch though.
http://www.overtons.com/modperl/prod...pacity&i=35263
Old 03-20-2014, 01:08 PM   #24
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts
Default Cool Lift

Here's one that I bet could be modified to work off a dock if you had room...

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...t%20Lift&sm=12

Dan