Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Weather
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-17-2012, 04:54 PM   #1
Resident 2B

Default July 17th: Thunderstorm on the way!!

Hi all,

Looks like a rather intense thunderstorm is on the way to the lake. About an hour away if it holds together, and to me it looks like it will hold together.

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 06:20 PM   #2
RLW

Smile

Just hit Alton Mountain about 8 minutes ago (7:08 PM) and did the wind pickup and making white caps all over Sunset lake. Wind blew the family room door open and it took me two hands and all my weight to close it. Very bright lighting and very loud thunder. Came in from the NW and lights are flickering quite a bit right now.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:44 PM   #3
bclaker

Hit here in Laconia about 10 minutes ago with what sounded like three local lightning hits. We got a deluge for 5 to 10 minutes and now it has passed.
bclaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:20 PM   #4
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,002 Times in 915 Posts

Power is off for all NHEC customers in Alton, Barnstead and New Durham plus partial outages in towns to south. Running on generator here in West Alton.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:47 PM   #5
ishoot308

Thanked 4,941 Times in 1,917 Posts
Default Hit On Welch

We got hit bad on the West side of Welch Island. It only lasted for about two minutes but it was the worst two minutes I have seen out here, even worse than last years hurricane. The wind was so bad there was no waves, just a white spray of water off the top of the lake being blown. I can only guess the wind exceeded 60 MPH for a very short while. My flag pole which is super heavy duty and bolted through the dock was yanked out!! Power is out and I assume will be out till morning anyways.

Slickcraft, I think your boat is O.K. but I will check in the A.M. when there is some light.

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ishoot308 For This Useful Post:
Slickcraft (07-18-2012)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2012, 08:42 PM   #6
ArborTech

Default Storm Damage

Moultonborough to Gilford, the whole lakes region took it hard. Sounds like there has been significant tree damage again! We just got back on track from the July 4th storm. Hope everyone faired well.

Sorry to hear about the flagpole Dan
ArborTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:26 AM   #7
rgilfert

Default Rattlesnake Power?

My wife and I had visited our home in Bedford yesterday and weren't on Rattlesnake when the storm hit last night. Can anyone tell me whether there is power on Rattlesnake? And if the power went out....how long it was out for (we have a freezer full of food and ice)?
rgilfert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:28 AM   #8
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

We got two bad hits here but could tell you guys got it a lot worse to our west. We didn't seem to get the bad wind that you did either.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:14 AM   #9
hilltopper

I could here the thunder and see occasional lightning from my spot in Meredith but other than that it was just moderate rain for about 20 minutes.
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:56 AM   #10
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Arrow RI Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgilfert View Post
My wife and I had visited our home in Bedford yesterday and weren't on Rattlesnake when the storm hit last night. Can anyone tell me whether there is power on Rattlesnake? And if the power went out....how long it was out for (we have a freezer full of food and ice)?
Is back. It was out for two hours.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rattlesnake Gal For This Useful Post:
rgilfert (07-18-2012)
Old 07-18-2012, 11:57 AM   #11
RLW

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLW View Post
Just hit Alton Mountain about 8 minutes ago (7:08 PM) and did the wind pickup and making white caps all over Sunset lake. Wind blew the family room door open and it took me two hands and all my weight to close it. Very bright lighting and very loud thunder. Came in from the NW and lights are flickering quite a bit right now.
My generator shows the time running last night here on Alton Mountain to be 6 hours 24 minutes. I can't verify the timer on the generator as I was in bed way before the electricity came back on.

Old 07-18-2012, 03:44 PM   #12
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Lightbulb Strange One!

As the storm was heading down the lake, a barge that had an excavator on it was just finishing up for the day. They got part way out into The Broads and came back to the island. Smart move I think.

Just as the small white caps started, we saw a boat over near Parker Island that was trying to head north. They thought better of it! This storm was not friendly looking and the warnings that were coming out about it were strong to severe.

Just like Dan said, It didn't last long. The waves weren't huge, which is very unusual. It was amazing how the wind was just taking the water off the lake, blowing it in a giant spray down the The Broads. There were lots of vivid lightening strikes.

The power didn't quit until it was past our neck of the woods and I am so glad that the power came back so quick. We almost headed home with the contents of the refrigerator. We would have missed this beautiful day on the lake.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:31 PM   #13
ApS

Default July 30th Thunderhead Looming...

There are no active watches, warnings or advisories by NOAA, but at 3:30-PM, a thunderhead that had been building slowly just north of the Ossipee Range now appears to be heading our way!

For boaters considering going out, this is a good time to first check the weather that comes out of due north.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote