Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 11-09-2011, 11:44 PM   #1
Greene's Basin Girl

Default Kayaking Today

What a gem of a day. I had put my kayak away, but needless to say it came out of storage today. The water was clear and the lake temperature wasn't bad ( I only went in up to my ankles). Our local loon chick was practicing his/her best flying techniques. The temperature in the high 60's was an added plus.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:53 PM   #2
billy

was out there kayaking too! hardly a ripple on the broads ...not going to put the boat away til i can strap on my skis
billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 07:00 AM   #3
FullHouse

Default Two words to describes the prevoius posts

Very lucky
FullHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 07:53 AM   #4
MarkinNH

I saw 2 kayakers out in Center Harbor bay yesterday afternoon when I stopped at Heath Hardware and it sure looked calm and peaceful.
MarkinNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:13 AM   #5
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Question Kayaking and Cold Water

Just wondering what do you think and do about kayaking at this time of year when the water has become dangerously cold?

I've never capsized in my kayak, but the cold water temp was a big deterrent the last few weeks we were at the camp. I only have a thin wet suit and it isn't very comfortable on my neck, so I abstained.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2011, 08:59 AM   #6
billy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Gal View Post
Just wondering what do you think and do about kayaking at this time of year when the water has become dangerously cold?
i let someone know when/where i am launching and destination, wearing my PFD and safety gear, stay very close to the shoreline/sheltered areas and use my wider boat that is very stable. have been out in 25 mph winds and waves on the broads in warmer water playing, so know it could handle that safely. ...obviously would not pick a day like that now, but felt comfortable with the weather we had yesterday.
billy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to billy For This Useful Post:
Rattlesnake Gal (11-10-2011)
Old 11-10-2011, 09:11 AM   #7
MarkinNH

I haven't gotten much kayaking in for the last 2 years but we used to love going for a paddle in this weather. The lake is calm and quiet, I have been out on Thanksgiving day and even late enough in the season for a few light December snow storms.
A life vest is a Must and having a paddle partner is a smart decision. All I ever wore were lined nylon wind pants and a suitable upper garment for warmth and water reppeling. You do have to deal with foot wear and possible wet feet.
A very stable kayak sure makes it safer, my Old Town Loon 138 would take a rouge wave to capsize it.
Confidence in your kayak and your abilities to handle it, suitable attire and common sense.
MarkinNH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MarkinNH For This Useful Post:
Rattlesnake Gal (11-10-2011)
Old 11-10-2011, 05:28 PM   #8
TOAD

Was out in my yak fishing here in the Western Commywealth of Mass Tuesday and Wednesday. Water temps around 52-57 deg. Nice with the sun and temps in the 60's.

Was house hunting in Meredith today. I looked at the lakes and ponds we went by. I said to the wife, "I'd be out there fishing today if we lived up here." Water everywhere was like glass. Yak or big boat I wished I was dragging some kind of bait plying NH waters! Couldn't believe all the watery solitude I eyeballed today. It called to me.

Maybe found one toaday......if we can get it for the right price.....then I would be " Da Toad from Meredith".
"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.....Unknown....but attributed to George Washington
TOAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 08:45 AM   #9
RANGER CANOE CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green's Basin Girl View Post
What a gem of a day. I had put my kayak away, but needless to say it came out of storage today. The water was clear and the lake temperature wasn't bad ( I only went in up to my ankles). Our local loon chick was practicing his/her best flying techniques. The temperature in the high 60's was an added plus.
More nice weather forecast for early next week. If your going out, please wear your PFD........
Old 11-11-2011, 10:47 AM   #10
NoRegrets

Going up tonight for the weekend. I may take out the kayaks. I will definitely take our potentially last slow cruise for the season.

It has been a fantastic boating year for us. The only problem we are encountering is the years seem to be getting shorter and shorter!

Give honor to all the veterans everyday and especially today 11-11-11-11.
NoRegrets is offline   Reply With Quote