Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 10:43 AM   #301
sa meredith

Default correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM doc View Post
Well Santa just showed up uninvited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yep...you're right. Santa did indeed show up, but my neighbor saw him on my roof, and took him out with a 12 gauge. Now we have quite a situation on our hands.

Hope I have not offended anyone...Merry Christmas everyone!
Old 12-25-2010, 09:49 PM   #302
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts
Default Rolleyes APS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second View Post
Just checking, did you mean a rolleyes at Samiam's post? If so, I would love to know what you disagree with.
Old 12-26-2010, 08:11 AM   #303
songkrai

My $0.02 cents.

The "tough on criminals" people want mandatory sentences. This case proves that this viewpoint is flawed.

But go way way back to the beginning.

If Jimmy was still chief - none of this would have progressed beyond Mr. Birds yard. Jimmy would have told the lady to leave and Jimmy would have told Mr. Bird to go back into his house. End of story.

This may be a tad oversimplified.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to songkrai For This Useful Post:
jniff101 (12-27-2010), MarkinNH (12-26-2010), SAMIAM (12-26-2010), wifi (12-26-2010), wuwu (01-03-2011)
Old 12-26-2010, 09:47 AM   #304
wifi

The town sure was different back then. No radar, if they thought you were speeding, they would pull you over and have a 20-30 minute talk about the weather.... you got the idea

When we'd go out on a call at night, Jimmy would show up in his overalls, with his chiefs badge on it. He was a character.

Thanks for the nostalgia trip...
Old 12-26-2010, 11:53 AM   #305
Yosemite Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifi View Post
The town sure was different back then. No radar, if they thought you were speeding, they would pull you over and have a 20-30 minute talk about the weather.... you got the idea

When we'd go out on a call at night, Jimmy would show up in his overalls, with his chiefs badge on it. He was a character.

Thanks for the nostalgia trip...
Wow!!! 12 full time police officers. Mountonboro has gone from a police force like Mayberry RFD to one like a big city would have.

Between 1972 and 2008 the Moultonborough Police Department expanded its full time ranks from one officer to twelve.

No wonder there is a crusier sitting at every corner of Moultonboro waiting to arrest you and throw you in the slammer!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-2010, 12:12 PM   #306
lawn psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite Sam View Post
Wow!!! 12 full time police officers. Mountonboro has gone from a police force like Mayberry RFD to one like a big city would have.

Between 1972 and 2008 the Moultonborough Police Department expanded its full time ranks from one officer to twelve.

No wonder there is a crusier sitting at every corner of Moultonboro waiting to arrest you and throw you in the slammer!

Instead of names, they should post the salary and fringe benefit cost of each member of the police department. As long as people check 'yes' at the ballot box on your town budget this is how it goes.

In Old Orchard Beach, there was a study done that showed if they got rid of all the businesses that cause the need for large police and fire departments that the tax bill to residents would go down substaintially.
Old 12-26-2010, 10:13 PM   #307
Argie's Wife

Default This officer's daughter is gonna speak up here...

I think you're crossing a line here with your posts about the police department, the officers' benefits, etc.

Yes, there's 12 full-time officers but there's an officer at the station 24/7. Having staff sufficient to cover that kind of schedule and not collecting overtime is part of the justification for the number of full-time officers. Considering the time spent doing paperwork, time spent in court, dealing with regular patrol, school resource officer duties, etc., having 12 full-time officers in a town of 5,035 resident (year-round only), and with a population increase of over 12% since year 2000, it makes sense. There's 2.38 officers per 1,000 residents; the US average is 3.00 officers per 1,000 residents. [SOURCE]

But stats aside...

These men and women you're complaining about making an income off your tax dollar are still residents in your community, for the most part... They're dad or mom, husband or wife, sister or brother, son or daughter - parts of our families here in the area. Just because a judge/jury made some bad decisions - or whatever - don't give the men and women who are simply doing their job a load of grief. They don't deserve it.

They don't make the laws; their job is to enforce the laws.

FYI - a police officer in NH makes about $35,000 (average experience) (about $18/hr), and their benefits are no different than any other town employee's benefits, unless they're part of a union (not the case in M'Boro). [SOURCE] They get NH state retirement, FICA, health insurance (if they chose to take it), etc.

So, think about it... $18/hr to put your life on the line - to serve and protect the citizens of your town... Would you do it?

If you begrudge them their income, perhaps you should change profession.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Argie's Wife For This Useful Post:
BrownstoneNorth (12-28-2010), Heaven (12-26-2010), Jonas Pilot (12-27-2010), Pepper (12-27-2010), Pontoon Goon (12-27-2010), RailroadJoe (12-27-2010), Sunrise Point (12-27-2010)
Old 12-26-2010, 10:16 PM   #308
Heaven

Quote:
"In Old Orchard Beach, there was a study done that showed if they got rid of all the businesses that cause the need for large police and fire departments that the tax bill to residents would go down substaintially."
All I can say to this is . . . huh?
The Following User Says Thank You to Heaven For This Useful Post:
ITD (12-27-2010)
Old 12-26-2010, 10:17 PM   #309
XCR-700

Wow this is indeed a very troubling situation,,,

I would not be surprised to see such madness down here in MA, but I thought (or more correctly hoped) that NH would have treated a situation like this very differently.

It looks like NH has turned to the dark side and the MA border really has moved north, sadly much farther than I had imagined,,,

I am an outsider to this, but I can tell you all that if you don’t find a way to turn this tide back, you will surly regret it.

I do not know Mr. Bird and make no attempt to use him as any example, but the situation speaks for itself. If you concede that he was on his land, then so long as he was not using his gun in any other way than displaying it as a warning (drawn or not) and this is the outcome, then you folks are in serious trouble of becoming another Massachusetts!

I don’t care to debate the folks who argue run if you have the option, we need not live in fear regardless if we are on our own land or ANYWHERE.

If you trespass you risk a serious warning which should include display of a firearm and a potentially citizens arrest until LE can respond.

If we are in a public place and face any reasonable perceived danger we must have the right to defend ourselves, which should include removing a gun from its holster. Using it is another matter and carries its own consequences, but if we continue to allow our ability to defend ourselves to be taken from us, we will surly become a people of the government, and the foundation to which our country was founded (a government of the people) will have come to pass and our way of life where personal freedom is a cherished right, not a privilege for the wealthy and powerful few, will have come to an end.

Unlike those of us in MA you folks still have a chance,,, but don’t wait too long or you will not have any say.

If what I have read here is even partially true, this is a travesty. And to that end, I salute the overwhelming majority of you who appear to be supporting the Bird family. I sincerely hope their suffering ends soon and this matter is resolved and Mr. Birds freedom is restored.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to XCR-700 For This Useful Post:
GsChinadoll (12-30-2010), topwater (12-27-2010)
Old 12-26-2010, 10:18 PM   #310
Heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by songkrai View Post
My $0.02 cents.

The "tough on criminals" people want mandatory sentences. This case proves that this viewpoint is flawed.

If Jimmy was still chief - none of this would have progressed beyond Mr. Birds yard. Jimmy would have told the lady to leave and Jimmy would have told Mr. Bird to go back into his house. End of story.

I think someone would have had to call "Jimmy" first.
Did Mr. Ward call "Jimmy"?
Old 12-26-2010, 11:41 PM   #311
Rattlesnake Guy

Remember when you were a kid and your sibling said that the next stage in your fight was they were "going to tell mom"? Your instinct was to preemptively tell mom that you were the victim to diffuse the trouble you were in? This strategy was best done if you were first.

I was not there, but it sounds the call to the cops was much like the kid avoiding the wrath of mom by becoming the victim before the truth be told. Who had the desperate incentive to be the victim here? I think she called first.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rattlesnake Guy For This Useful Post:
jniff101 (12-27-2010), Jonas Pilot (12-27-2010), lawn psycho (12-27-2010), Pepper (12-27-2010)
Old 12-27-2010, 04:33 AM   #312
ApS

Smile Reservists, too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie's Wife View Post
FYI - a police officer in NH makes about $35,000 (average experience) (about $18/hr), and their benefits are no different than any other town employee's benefits, unless they're part of a union (not the case in M'Boro)...$18/hr to put your life on the line - to serve and protect the citizens of your town... Would you do it? If you begrudge them their income, perhaps you should change profession.
Keep in mind that some are also military reservists. Some municipalities elsewhere even allow LEOs full pay for the "double-dipping" of Reservists. As long as it's less than two weeks per annum, I still don't begrudge them their pay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
Just checking, did you mean a rolleyes at Samiam's post? If so, I would love to know what you disagree with.
1) I'm sure Samiam understands that I agree with him. The rolleyes was only to indicate that such a succinct sentence will be missed—or dismissed—by too many.

Quote:
"When seconds count, the police are only minutes away".
2) I support those trained in whatever one's choice of self-protection is—lethal or non-lethal. As it should, that training (which I'll dub "Rule 308") has contributed to a decreased reliance on our "Thin Blue Line".

3) The proliferation of cellphones is a different matter for law enforcement.

4) Waving a broom would never fall under the "training" I'm discussing.

Cue some rolleyes here:

Old 12-27-2010, 06:47 AM   #313
tummyman

Default Another gun arrest for felony criminal threatening....12/26/2010

A road rage incident in Manchester NH on Rt 101West yesterday afternoon involved two individuals, one of which showed a 9mm handgun out the drivers side window. 911 was called and state police subsequently arrested one person. The gun was recovered and the person (21 years old) is being held on $2500 cash bail and allegedly will be arraigned later today on a charge of felony criminal threatening. Wasn't that the same charge Ward was charged with ? This should be an interesting development. See the article in todays on line Manchester Union Leader.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:19 AM   #314
Jonas Pilot

There aren't many similarities between the two incidents.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:10 AM   #315
lawn psycho

Quote:
I think you're crossing a line here with your posts about the police department, the officers' benefits, etc.

Yes, there's 12 full-time officers but there's an officer at the station 24/7. Having staff sufficient to cover that kind of schedule and not collecting overtime is part of the justification for the number of full-time officers. Considering the time spent doing paperwork, time spent in court, dealing with regular patrol, school resource officer duties, etc., having 12 full-time officers in a town of 5,035 resident (year-round only), and with a population increase of over 12% since year 2000, it makes sense. There's 2.38 officers per 1,000 residents; the US average is 3.00 officers per 1,000 residents. [SOURCE]

But stats aside...

These men and women you're complaining about making an income off your tax dollar are still residents in your community, for the most part... They're dad or mom, husband or wife, sister or brother, son or daughter - parts of our families here in the area. Just because a judge/jury made some bad decisions - or whatever - don't give the men and women who are simply doing their job a load of grief. They don't deserve it.

They don't make the laws; their job is to enforce the laws.

FYI - a police officer in NH makes about $35,000 (average experience) (about $18/hr), and their benefits are no different than any other town employee's benefits, unless they're part of a union (not the case in M'Boro). [SOURCE] They get NH state retirement, FICA, health insurance (if they chose to take it), etc.

So, think about it... $18/hr to put your life on the line - to serve and protect the citizens of your town... Would you do it?

If you begrudge them their income, perhaps you should change profession.
I don't want to derail this thread BUT, you're wrong. First, their salaries are public record. Second, many in small towns complain about high taxes. So when they decide to check "YES" on budget items they have no one to blame but themselves. No one is begruding anyone their pay, but when you assign a dollar figure to that headcount, and if you did that at the ballot, people would be a little more reluctant to check the yes box.

Stats? So you want to use a national average for a small New England town that goes dormant in the winter? Let's compare crimes rates in Detroit, Cleveland, Atlanta, etc.

Yankees want big town benefits but these small mini-mob towns don't have enough economy of scale. This is why NH and ME struggle to tackle their funding issues.

FYI, I have served on a town budget board so step down from the soap box honey, I've heard it all.

Carry on.
The Following User Says Thank You to lawn psycho For This Useful Post:
topwater (12-27-2010)
Old 12-27-2010, 08:31 AM   #316
XCR-700

Quote:
My $0.02 cents.

I would argue that its not flawed at all, just used in the wrong places!

Showing/displaying/”Brandishing a handgun (or whatever you want to call it) on ones own property is in no way a violent crime, ant that’s where you want to focus most of your mandatory sentencing efforts.

I believe in erring on the side of conservative actions, and mandatory sentencing has a place in our legal system, the question is where and when and how much.

This is a case where it was applied incorrectly (maybe intentionally so to build support against mandatory sentencing) so from my perspective it’s a good concept, but one that needs to be implemented VERY carefully!
Old 12-27-2010, 08:33 AM   #317
Heaven

Quote:
"FYI, I have served on a town budget board so step down from the soap box honey, I've heard it all."
Can your opinion stand on its own without belittling the previous poster by referring to her as "honey"?
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Heaven For This Useful Post:
Argie's Wife (12-27-2010), BrownstoneNorth (12-28-2010), Jersey Bob (12-29-2010), Newbiesaukee (12-27-2010), Pepper (12-27-2010), Sunrise Point (12-28-2010)
Old 12-27-2010, 08:33 AM   #318
TheProfessor

[QUOTE=Argie's Wife;146632] I think you're crossing a line here with your posts about the police department, the officers' benefits, etc.
QUOTE]

How many officers does Center Harbor have? How many officers does Sandwich have?

Me thinks that this town is a tad bloated. How many captains, lieutenants, sargents, corporals, dectectives, canines, schools, do we have? Is their pay higher then a patrolman/woman.

The picture above says a lot. How many do we in the office doing "paperwork"?

Just a conjecture here. It seems that if a person has some run in with the force here previously - then there seems to be a presumption that action should be taken with any other activities that said person does.

As someone stated above. Jimmy would have just talked to both and that would have been the end. What happened to talking?

In the very beginning it was her word against his. Why did this progress to more? Maybe these higher ups need some negotiation skills training.

Why was the out of town ladies word taken above the word of an in town resident?

Yes we are a country of laws. But if all who drive 1MPH over the speed limit then all of us would be criminals. A little discretion goes a long way. In reading all it appears that discretion is a tad lacking nowadays.

A little discretion would have kept this case right here and gone no further.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:39 AM   #319
lawn psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaven View Post
Can your opinion stand on its own without belittling the previous poster by referring to her as "honey"?
Actually no, I didn't appreciate her condescending attitude. Look at how she titled her post.

You see, there are TWO sides of an equation and in her world there is one. Go re-read her post..... I've seen her kind (thinks she know EVERYTHING about local town government) so many times that I just give a big and move on.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:43 AM   #320
lawn psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProfessor View Post
Yes we are a country of laws. But if all who drive 1MPH over the speed limit then all of us would be criminals. A little discretion goes a long way. In reading all it appears that discretion is a tad lacking nowadays.
Come on. Things are slow in Moultonborough and besides, you don't want to deny that officer a chance to spend a day in court do you? That might even mean some OVERTIME. Woo-hoo!
Old 12-27-2010, 08:44 AM   #321
MarkinNH

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProfessor View Post
Why was the out of town ladies word taken above the word of an in town resident?
Because the County Prosecutor "at the time" Hates men ( her preferences are no secret) and was looking to make an example out of one.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:46 AM   #322
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattle Isle Windy Side View Post
As a gun owner, I hope the driver spends a nice long time in jail..

How many times is it proven that tempers and firearms dont mix?

Road rage and pull out your 9MM? - good luck with that one kid.
Shouldn’t that depend on who has the temper and who has the pistol???

I might argue that if you are the victim being threatened by the guy with the temper, then you are fully within your right to pull, threaten to use, and use your gun in your own defense in all situations. Why is it my problem that you might have a temper problem?

Now if it’s you who has the temper and the gun, and I have neither, then I’m looking for any way out of that situation that I can find.

Its all about perspective, but be very careful giving up your right to defend yourself or making statements that someone else can use to illustrate your support of divesting yourself of your rights because I can assure you there will be someone who is watching and will use it against you at some point I the future, just take a look at our situation in MA,,, Under MA laws we are almost better off to give our guns to the criminals than to use them against them,,, Pretty sad state of affairs down here,,,
Old 12-27-2010, 09:02 AM   #323
lawn psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Guy View Post
Remember when you were a kid and your sibling said that the next stage in your fight was they were "going to tell mom"? Your instinct was to preemptively tell mom that you were the victim to diffuse the trouble you were in? This strategy was best done if you were first.

I was not there, but it sounds the call to the cops was much like the kid avoiding the wrath of mom by becoming the victim before the truth be told. Who had the desperate incentive to be the victim here? I think she called first.
I thought something similar to this. Maybe when she first confronted him and thought she was not to be fooled by him not being the owner and then realizing he was serious did she realize she pushed him too far and he was going to call the cops.

I am of the belief that my home is my castle. I think the cops used poor judgement in bringing charges.

Personally, I like the Joe Horn approach using the 'castle defense': http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLtKCC7z0yc

They have things the right way in Texas Joe Horn is the kind of neighbor I could only dream of having.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:10 AM   #324
lawn psycho

Quote:
All I can say to this is . . . huh?
Simple. The businesses in OOB generate miniscule tax revenue compared to the number of fire and police services required to serve the people they attract. The town explodes in population but tax revenues don't go up with it. The state coffers may benefit but local tax payers do not. I have to dig up the study as it was stored on my old desktop so not sure if I have it any more.

Unfortunately not all business is 'good' business for tax payers.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:56 AM   #325
Heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinNH View Post
Because the County Prosecutor "at the time" Hates men ( her preferences are no secret) and was looking to make an example out of one.
This factoid must be really important to your evaluation of this case as you have posted it twice. I think that even in New Hampshire, most people have gotten past evaluating a person's job performance based on their sexual orientation.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heaven For This Useful Post:
BrownstoneNorth (12-28-2010), Natt (12-27-2010)
Old 12-27-2010, 01:29 PM   #326
MarkinNH

it
Quote:
This factoid must be really important to your evaluation of this case as you have posted it twice. I think that even in New Hampshire, most people have gotten past evaluating a person's job performance based on their sexual orientation.
A question was asked and I replied with an answer that "in my opinion" I feel is correct.
Personally I don't care what her preferences or sexual orientation may be. To each their own. But IMO this woman did not prosecute this case from an unbiased stand point.
I believe she pegged Ward as guilty the moment the case file landed on her desk. Truth and Justice played no role in her perseverance of this case. She couldn't have cared less if Ward was innocent of the womans accusations.
She couldn't have cared less if locking him up took him away from his family for 3 years, for something he didn't do.
She couldn't have cared less that this conviction serves no real justice.
She didn't have to bring the charges that she did. There was no proof, witness's or evidence to support the womans accusations
She could have easily used common sense and reasoning, weighed both sides of the story and concluded that this was just a he said / she said dispute that was over, with no harm done and it didn't warrant spending tax payers money to prosecute.
She used her power and position to railroad an honest and innocent man into prison because she was hell bent to set an example. She was out of line and now she is out of a job. Good riddance to her !!
Old 12-27-2010, 01:42 PM   #327
Heaven

Quote:
it

A question was asked and I replied with an answer that "in my opinion" I feel is correct.
Personally I don't care what her preferences or sexual orientation may be. To each their own. But IMO this woman did not prosecute this case from an unbiased stand point.
I believe she pegged Ward as guilty the moment the case file landed on her desk. Truth and Justice played no role in her perseverance of this case. She couldn't have cared less if Ward was innocent of the womans accusations.
She couldn't have cared less if locking him up took him away from his family for 3 years, for something he didn't do.
She couldn't have cared less that this conviction serves no real justice.
She didn't have to bring the charges that she did. There was no proof, witness's or evidence to support the womans accusations
She could have easily used common sense and reasoning, weighed both sides of the story and concluded that this was just a he said / she said dispute that was over, with no harm done and it didn't warrant spending tax payers money to prosecute.
She used her power and position to railroad an honest and innocent man into prison because she was hell bent to set an example. She was out of line and now she is out of a job. Good riddance to her !!
I am not disagreeing or agreeing except that you qualified all of her decisions based on sexual orientation, which is a non-issue typically used when a more compelling argument is absent.
Old 12-27-2010, 01:59 PM   #328
MarkinNH

Quote:
I am not disagreeing or agreeing except that you qualified all of her decisions based on sexual orientation, which is a non-issue typically used when a more compelling argument is absent.
So what other compelling reasons could she have had to pursue this case the way she did ?
She certainly didn't fight for a guilty verdict because the evidence in the case clearly supported one.
Old 12-27-2010, 02:10 PM   #329
Argie's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawn psycho View Post
Actually no, I didn't appreciate her condescending attitude. Look at how she titled her post.

You see, there are TWO sides of an equation and in her world there is one. Go re-read her post..... I've seen her kind (thinks she know EVERYTHING about local town government) so many times that I just give a big and move on.
I'm amazed that you can take a title like "This Officers' Daughter Is Going To Speak Up Here..." and construe it as being condescending.

I titled my post because I am proud of my father having served a local municipality. It may sound trite but when he passed on, the town (Sanford, ME) dedicated their annual report to him in his memory. I also took a lot of crap from kids and adults growing up because my dad was on the force.

You missed the whole point: these officers you're rating about are PEOPLE. Get it? They have kids in school, families in our towns and the Lakes Region and people like me don't appreciate comments like yours. They're just doing their job - like they're supposed to do. That's what they're paid to do. [And I never said anything about their salaries not being public info - per RSA 91 they certainly are - I don't know why you had to say I was wrong about something I never mentioned... again "Huh?" comes to mind.]

And yes, I do know a lot about town government; I serve on a school board and town budget committee. I don't know everything - and I'm the first to admit it - but I do take exception when people go after personnel of a town - including those who serve and protect, such as fire department officers and police department officers. If you don't like how something is run, than take your comments to the people in charge.

If you *know* so stinkin' much about government, then take your issues up with the people who run the town - the town selectmen. That's where your frustration should be vented. You should know that - you were on a town's budget committee, according to one of your posts here.

And I'm sure you were raised with better manners than to call me 'honey' (please tell me you're not really that sexist in this day and age?!) or to discuss me in your post like I'm not 'in the room' (using "she" and "her" - I'm not a ghost) - you're being very rude.

Last edited by Argie's Wife; 12-27-2010 at 05:25 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Argie's Wife For This Useful Post:
Jonas Pilot (12-27-2010), Pepper (12-27-2010), Resident 2B (12-27-2010), Sunrise Point (12-28-2010)
Old 12-27-2010, 02:21 PM   #330
nvtngtxpyr

Default Let's get back on track.

Looks like Matt Drudge has picked up the cause. He's added the following message in a mouseover to his page.

Old 12-27-2010, 02:24 PM   #331
Argie's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second View Post
Keep in mind that some are also military reservists. Some municipalities elsewhere even allow LEOs full pay for the "double-dipping" of Reservists. As long as it's less than two weeks per annum, I still don't begrudge them their pay.

2:
I could be wrong but I believe there's a Federal law that protects enlistees.

If someone is willing to be a reservist and get called into service by the President at anytime, then I have no problem with them getting paid by Uncle Sam and their employer for 2 weeks of the year either.
Old 12-27-2010, 02:31 PM   #332
Argie's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvtngtxpyr View Post
Looks like Matt Drudge has picked up the cause. He's added the following message in a mouseover to his page.

That's a paid ad. I've written Drudge, as I'm sure others have, because this would be right up his ally. He hasn't linked the story yet to his site. When the story was in the Boston Globe I thought maybe Drudge would pick it up. Keep hoping...
Old 12-27-2010, 03:50 PM   #333
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts
Default Animal cruelty trial looms for woman linked to Ward Bird

On Citizen web site today:

Quote:
Animal cruelty trial looms for woman linked to Ward Bird

Monday, December 27, 2010

BRENTWOOD (AP) — A 57-year-old woman goes on trial Jan. 10 on charges of keeping 47 dogs in her New Hampshire trailer.

Christine Harris, who now lives in South Carolina, was found guilty in 2008 of five counts of animal cruelty for keeping the animals at her Salem home, but she appealed to Rockingham Superior Court. According to the Eagle-Tribune, the floors, walls and dog crates in her home were covered in animal feces and urine.

Harris drew attention in a separate case in which Ward Bird of Moultonborough man was sentenced to three to six years in prison for waving a gun at her in 2006 when she got lost and arrived on his property asking for directions.

More than 100 state representatives are asking Gov. John Lynch to pardon Bird. Supporters say he was within his rights when she ignored his no-trespassing signs.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:10 PM   #334
Pepper

Quote:
... I didn't appreciate her condescending attitude...
Excuse me? HER condescending attitude???? Really?

Quote:
... I just give a big and move on.
Hmmmm.
Jonas Pilot (12-27-2010), Skip (12-27-2010)
Old 12-27-2010, 06:22 PM   #335
lawn psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper View Post
Excuse me? HER condescending attitude???? Really?

Hmmmm.
No excuse for you either. Go look at her original post. Someone posted the PD image and I simply stated that they should post the salaries with no personal slant towards any single person. Your post called me "over the line" and went on a personal diatribe about how officers need to earn a living, blah, blah, blah. It's action-reaction. You post a snide comment for giving an opinion, you'll get it right back at you. If someone can't deal with it, then think before you type.

I'm not going to explain myself further and I'm sure there are others that see it the way I do.

Last edited by lawn psycho; 12-28-2010 at 02:03 PM.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:49 PM   #336
Argie's Wife

Quote:
No excuse for you either. Go look at her original post. Someone posted the PD image and I simply stated that thye should post thed salaries with no pIt's action-reaction. You post a snide comment for giving an opinion, you'll get it right back at you. If someone can't deal with it, then think before you type.

I'm not going to explain myself further and I'm sure there are others that see it the way I do.
BOLD RED FONT = Huh? I'm sorry but what are you trying to say here? I'm not being the spelling police but your sentence isn't making sense...

You say I posted a snide response - I wasn't snide. I was honest - it was from a family member's perspective of someone who was on the force. You'd rather respond to someone saying "I think you crossed the line" with sarcasm and venom - something you do all the time on this forum. I say I was trying to get you to be more considerate.... oh, never mind.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Argie's Wife For This Useful Post:
Jonas Pilot (12-27-2010), Newbiesaukee (12-27-2010), Skip (12-27-2010)
Old 12-27-2010, 06:58 PM   #337
wifi

Default On topic replies

Is there somewhere on the "User CP" I can filter this?

I've never filtered out anyone, nor do I want to, but I'd really rather read things applying to the topic. When I get insulted, I just don't reply, no need to defend myself if I'm right, IMHO
Old 12-27-2010, 07:05 PM   #338
Argie's Wife

Quote:

I've never filtered out anyone, nor do I want to, but I'd really rather read things applying to the topic. When I get insulted, I just don't reply, no need to defend myself if I'm right, IMHO
Sorry wifi. My apologies.
The Following User Says Thank You to Argie's Wife For This Useful Post:
wifi (12-27-2010)
Old 12-27-2010, 08:02 PM   #339
MarkinNH

Quote:
In your User CP, under the Settings / Options, click on "Edit Ignore List"
Old 12-28-2010, 08:25 AM   #340
Pineedles

Back on topic. I was dissapointed that the Gov. didn't pardon Ward for Christmas. Is there any progress with this?
Old 12-28-2010, 01:55 PM   #341
Irish mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
Back on topic. I was dissapointed that the Gov. didn't pardon Ward for Christmas. Is there any progress with this?
Pineedles I don't think the governor of NH can issue a pardon without a vote of the 5 member EXC, but I could be wrong ? Anyone know for sure ?
Old 12-28-2010, 03:25 PM   #342
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

There is a mandated process which includes obtaining the advice of the Governor's Council.
Quote:
Pardons; Commutations; and Reprieves
Section 4:21
4:21 Petitions for Pardon or Commutation of Sentence. – On all petitions to the governor and council for pardon or commutation of sentence written notice thereof shall be given to the state's counsel, and such notice to others as the governor may direct; and the prosecuting officer may be required to furnish a concise statement of the case as proved at the trial and any other facts bearing on the propriety of granting the petition.
Source. GS 18:3. GL 19:3. PS 20:3. PL 19:4. RL 27:5.
Section 4:22
4:22 Commissioner of Corrections to Report on. – In all cases where the petition is for the pardon of a person serving a sentence in the state prison, the commissioner of corrections shall make a report upon the petition before it is referred to the council.
Source. 1931, 117:1. RL 27:9.
Section 4:23
4:25 Conditional Pardons. – The governor, with the advice of the council, may, upon petition of a prisoner, grant him a pardon subject to such conditions as the governor considers proper, but a prisoner so pardoned shall, during the unexpired term of his sentence, violate no law, and he shall be in the custody of the state parole officer. The governor may issue his warrant to all proper officers to carry such pardon into effect and such warrant shall be obeyed and executed instead of the sentence originally imposed.
Source. 1931, 117:1. RL 27:8.
Section 4:26
4:26 Breach of Condition. – If a prisoner violates any of the conditions of his pardon, the warden, superintendent, or keeper of the institution in which the prisoner was confined shall forthwith cause him to be arrested and shall give written notice to the governor and council of such arrest.
Source. 1931, 117:1. RL 27:10.
Section 4:27
4:27 Procedure After Arrest. – The prisoner so arrested shall be returned forthwith to the institution from which he was released, and there confined for the unexpired term of his sentence unless the governor, with the advice of the council, after a hearing at the prisoner's request, shall otherwise order.
Source. 1931, 117:1. RL 27:11.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
Heaven (12-28-2010), Irish mist (12-28-2010)
Old 12-28-2010, 07:57 PM   #343
songkrai

[QUOTE=XCR-700;146653]

QUOTE]

So I guess some want this both ways. Mandatory sentencing but let the judge have discretion in sentencing.

An oxymoron interpretation of the laws.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:17 PM   #344
Heaven

[QUOTE=songkrai;146821]
Quote:
Originally Posted by XCR-700 View Post

QUOTE]

So I guess some want this both ways. Mandatory sentencing but let the judge have discretion in sentencing.

An oxymoron interpretation of the laws.
Maybe mandatory sentencing with any deviation being approved by a panel of judges or arbitrators.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:14 PM   #345
songkrai

"Maybe mandatory sentencing with any deviation being approved by a panel of judges or arbitrators."

A valid suggestion.

But another layer of government. Most today are seeking less government.

And if this was an option then all would appeal to this panel slowing down the legal process. And making it more costly in a day when all governments (except this town) are running a large deficit.

I go back to my original statment. Mandatory sentencing is flawed. This case is proof.

If the judge had discretion then this person probably would not be where he is. The judge had to go by the statutes as written by the General Court.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:26 PM   #346
Heaven

I don't know the reason mandatory sentencing was implemented but I am sure it wasn't a whim, so there must be significant reason. The arbitration would only be necessary IF the original judge chose to reduce the sentence below the mandatory. I don't think that would happen a lot. Maybe each judge could have a lifetime limit : /

. . . p.s., there isn't anything on earth that isn't "flawed" ; )
Old 12-29-2010, 07:44 AM   #347
Yosemite Sam

I find it hard to believe that anyone who owns a firearm would do what the article in todays LDS said they did...and it was Ward Bird in 2002.
Thank God that no one was killed when this happened!

Here is part of the article and you can read the rest of it Here:

It was on June 15, 2002 — a Bike Week Saturday around 6 p.m. — when Moultonborough Cpl. James Fogarty got a report of shots being fired into a home. Daniel King of Maspeth, N.Y. andtwo of his friends from Pennsylvania were watching television in a rented cottage at 84 Langdorf Street in the Suisseville section of Moultonborough. All three told Fogarty they heard seven gunshots, then silence, then five more. King told Fogarty that at least one bullet had entered the cottage. While Fogarty took pictures of the bullet hole in the back window, searched for and finally found the .30 caliber slug in the closet, other officers fanned out and began searching for the source of the bullet. About 600 yards and two streets away, police found a “large gathering” at 51 Sandorf St. As the three officers began asking questions and searching the area for spent shell casings, Fogarty noticed one party goer was a little more interested than were the others. “Please, let me know what you find out. I’m interested to see what happened,” Fogarty recalled Ward Bird saying before he left the scene in his white flatbed pickup. Moultonborough Sgt. Shawn Varney also responded to the area and was the incident supervisor. His statement said he learned from the other officers there was a “large party” on nearby Sandorf Street but everyone had denied any involvement, telling police they thought “someone was lighting off fireworks.” One of the officers also told Varney that all the guns held by the party goers had been checked, including a .25 caliber pistol owned by Bird, and none appeared to have been recently fired. In his report, Varney said the party host’s “body language and tone of voice indicated to me that he knew more than he was saying.” Varney report also said police didn’t find any shell casings. He suggested Fogarty “attempt to track [Bird] down” but said Fogarty checked Bird’s home and he wasn’t there. The next day Varney got a call from the N.H. State Police dispatcher requesting he go to Bird’s house to discuss the shooting with him. While one of his patrol officers was already interviewing Bird, Varney said Bird “was visibly upset” and had wanted to speak to a supervisor. “He advised me that he was the one who shot the firearm in Suissevale last night,” Varney wrote. “He advised me he felt really bad about the incident and apologized many times.” Varney said Bird told him he was “intoxicated” and he had been shooting into a tree stump across the street from the house with the party. He told Varney he had no knowledge there were houses beyond the stump and later came to the police station and voluntarily surrendered an AMT Automag III .30 carbine with eight rounds and two clips. Bird was charged with unauthorized use of a firearm, showed police the stump with nine bullets lodged in it and said he was the only one who did any shooting. He was charged with the unauthorized use of a firearm, which was negotiated down to a violation. The owner of the house with the bullet hole in the window was content to have the window replaced and “to leave it at that.” Bird paid a fine and the incident was largely forgotten.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yosemite Sam For This Useful Post:
ApS (12-29-2010), secondcurve (12-29-2010)
Old 12-29-2010, 08:12 AM   #348
secondcurve

Quote:
I find it hard to believe that anyone who owns a firearm would do what the article in todays LDS said they did...and it was Ward Bird in 2002.
Thank God that no one was killed when this happened!

Here is part of the article and you can read the rest of it Here:

It was on June 15, 2002 — a Bike Week Saturday around 6 p.m. — when Moultonborough Cpl. James Fogarty got a report of shots being fired into a home. Daniel King of Maspeth, N.Y. andtwo of his friends from Pennsylvania were watching television in a rented cottage at 84 Langdorf Street in the Suisseville section of Moultonborough. All three told Fogarty they heard seven gunshots, then silence, then five more. King told Fogarty that at least one bullet had entered the cottage. While Fogarty took pictures of the bullet hole in the back window, searched for and finally found the .30 caliber slug in the closet, other officers fanned out and began searching for the source of the bullet. About 600 yards and two streets away, police found a “large gathering” at 51 Sandorf St. As the three officers began asking questions and searching the area for spent shell casings, Fogarty noticed one party goer was a little more interested than were the others. “Please, let me know what you find out. I’m interested to see what happened,” Fogarty recalled Ward Bird saying before he left the scene in his white flatbed pickup. Moultonborough Sgt. Shawn Varney also responded to the area and was the incident supervisor. His statement said he learned from the other officers there was a “large party” on nearby Sandorf Street but everyone had denied any involvement, telling police they thought “someone was lighting off fireworks.” One of the officers also told Varney that all the guns held by the party goers had been checked, including a .25 caliber pistol owned by Bird, and none appeared to have been recently fired. In his report, Varney said the party host’s “body language and tone of voice indicated to me that he knew more than he was saying.” Varney report also said police didn’t find any shell casings. He suggested Fogarty “attempt to track [Bird] down” but said Fogarty checked Bird’s home and he wasn’t there. The next day Varney got a call from the N.H. State Police dispatcher requesting he go to Bird’s house to discuss the shooting with him. While one of his patrol officers was already interviewing Bird, Varney said Bird “was visibly upset” and had wanted to speak to a supervisor. “He advised me that he was the one who shot the firearm in Suissevale last night,” Varney wrote. “He advised me he felt really bad about the incident and apologized many times.” Varney said Bird told him he was “intoxicated” and he had been shooting into a tree stump across the street from the house with the party. He told Varney he had no knowledge there were houses beyond the stump and later came to the police station and voluntarily surrendered an AMT Automag III .30 carbine with eight rounds and two clips. Bird was charged with unauthorized use of a firearm, showed police the stump with nine bullets lodged in it and said he was the only one who did any shooting. He was charged with the unauthorized use of a firearm, which was negotiated down to a violation. The owner of the house with the bullet hole in the window was content to have the window replaced and “to leave it at that.” Bird paid a fine and the incident was largely forgotten.
Very interesting. Maybe the punishment does fit the crime after all? It is hard to say without all the facts, but the more I hear about Ward Bird the more it is apparent he isn't the angel some suggest he is.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:59 AM   #349
ApS

Post Fwiw...

Quote:
He told Varney he had no knowledge there were houses beyond the stump and later came to the police station and voluntarily surrendered an AMT Automag III .30 carbine with eight rounds and two clips.
OMC—which became TDE—which became AMT—which became IAI (among other names) went out of business around 2003, but is still manufactured today under license.

The "carbine" mentioned above isn't the famous "long-gun" of WW2, but a pistol chambered for the 30-Carbine cartridge.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:42 AM   #350
John A. Birdsall

Default Trespasser

I have not gone back and reread the newspaper article, but I think I read that Harris was going around the house looking in windows. If that was the case, then would not Ward think that perhaps she was casing out the place to rob it, and then pulled his gun?

Another part, was there ammo in the gun? He wanted her off his property so he took an empty gun and waved it in the air. See what I got, now get off my property.

By the way I hope you all have a Happy, Safe, and Healthy New Year, now look for Ice OUT
Old 12-29-2010, 12:50 PM   #351
SIKSUKR

Very interesting.It seemed there had to be more to this than just a man innocently defending his property.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:16 PM   #352
Gearhead

I've seen enough. Excuse me, I just passed judgement.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:35 PM   #353
Argie's Wife

...If Ward hadn't come forward to confess back in 2002, - eight years ago - he probably would have gotten off, as when the officer at the scene checked the guns, it didn't appear that any had been recently fired. It sounds to me like Ward fully cooperated with the police in that incident, including admitting he was intoxicated.

Did he do the right thing? No. Firing the gun in an area like that was highly irresponsible - no doubt about it. However, he owned up to the crime, paid the price. It sounds like he could have played it cool and let it slide. After all, what police dept is going to chase down a complaint like that on Bike Week? (They'd have bigger fish to fry, I'd think...)

When Ward had the encounter he had with Harris he wasn't intoxicated (by any records I've read so far), he didn't fire the gun, and we don't know if it was loaded, even. It sounds to me like he cooperated with police.

I'd wager that in the next couple of days you're gonna see some letters to the editor flyin' in the LaDaSun in rebuttal to the article.
The Following User Says Thank You to Argie's Wife For This Useful Post:
MarkinNH (12-30-2010)
Old 12-29-2010, 10:16 PM   #354
Heaven

Target shooting while drinking in a location that was not familiar? It does make one question his judgement. How many other times was his judgement questionable but there were no consequences, out of sheer luck? I guess we'll never know.
The Following User Says Thank You to Heaven For This Useful Post:
Natt (12-29-2010)
Old 12-29-2010, 10:16 PM   #355
ApS

Post Fwiw...2...

Quote:
...If Ward hadn't come forward to confess back in 2002, - eight years ago - he probably would have gotten off, as when the officer at the scene checked the guns, it didn't appear that any had been recently fired. It sounds to me like Ward fully cooperated with the police in that incident
Not exactly.

He kept "mum" about the 30-caliber shooting and showed the police his 25-caliber pistol—allowing the police to report that his 25-caliber pistol "wasn't fired recently".
The Following User Says Thank You to ApS For This Useful Post:
Argie's Wife (12-30-2010)
Old 12-30-2010, 07:21 AM   #356
Shreddy

If her past is irrelevant to this case, what makes his past an integral part of this case? What's so different?
Old 12-30-2010, 07:31 AM   #357
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreddy View Post
If her past is irrelevant to this case, what makes his past an integral part of this case? What's so different?
Nothing is different. His past is irrelevant too.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
Jonas Pilot (12-30-2010), MarkinNH (12-30-2010), Pineedles (12-30-2010)
Old 12-30-2010, 08:52 AM   #358
songkrai

Listen clearly. I think he should be home right now. I think from day one all the authorities mishandled this case.

But I have read the papers today. 12/30/2010. Two papers two articles.

These newspaper articles present information that will make it extremely difficult for the pardon.

Morally he should receive the pardon. Politically, it will be very difficult for any polictician to grant that pardon - after reading those newspaper articles.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:06 AM   #359
nvtngtxpyr

Quote:
Listen clearly. I think he should be home right now. I think from day one all the authorities mishandled this case.

But I have read the papers today. 12/30/2010. Two papers two articles.
Links please?
Old 12-30-2010, 10:07 AM   #360
songkrai

There are no links.

Print version. At store.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:24 AM   #361
RailroadJoe

theUnionleader.com under recent news
Old 12-30-2010, 10:29 AM   #362
Argie's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by RailroadJoe View Post
theUnionleader.com under recent news
It appears to be a reprint of the article that ran in the LaDaSun yesterday: http://www2.laconiadailysun.com/stor...t-ridden-stump
Old 12-30-2010, 12:01 PM   #363
Winnisquamguy

Quote:
How many other times was his judgement questionable but there were no consequences, out of sheer luck? I guess we'll never know.
My thoughts exactly, leave him right where he is after all these facts have come out. He deserves what he got, he is a hothead!!
Old 12-30-2010, 12:03 PM   #364
Heaven

So in the unlikely event of a pardon, I sure hope Ward Bird would be restricted from owning or having guns.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:06 PM   #365
lawn psycho

Quote:
So in the unlikely event of a pardon, I sure hope Ward Bird would be restricted from owning or having guns.
If his felony conviction is left in place, he won't be able to have guns. Federal law.

I see the two cases as entirely different. Unfortunately people want to abide by the constitution only when it's convienient.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:01 PM   #366
gtagrip

Quote:
Instead of names, they should post the salary and fringe benefit cost of each member of the police department. As long as people check 'yes' at the ballot box on your town budget this is how it goes.

In Old Orchard Beach, there was a study done that showed if they got rid of all the businesses that cause the need for large police and fire departments that the tax bill to residents would go down substaintially.
I have just started reading the last page of this thread and was wondering is it really necessary for M'boro to have 12 full-time police officers? I live in a Southern NH town of about 35,000 - 40,000 and me thinks that there maybe that many full-time officers in this town. Not absolutely sure of the number, but bet it's close.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:30 PM   #367
lawn psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtagrip View Post
I have just started reading the last page of this thread and was wondering is it really necessary for M'boro to have 12 full-time police officers? I live in a Southern NH town of about 35,000 - 40,000 and me thinks that there maybe that many full-time officers in this town. Not absolutely sure of the number, but bet it's close.
I'll give my opinion. 12 officers for a small New England town that goes to sleep in the winter is a not a small expense. If voters approve it, they best not complain about the mil rate as it will fall on deaf ears.
Old 12-30-2010, 04:12 PM   #368
NoBozo

Some people tend to Mellow as they get older. Maybe Ward has mellowed since the 2002 incident. My guess is he has.

However, if he stays in jail, his mellowing might reverse itself and he WILL become bitter over the experience. I would. NB

Last edited by NoBozo; 12-30-2010 at 08:05 PM.
Old 12-30-2010, 04:43 PM   #369
Heaven

The article, which I hope quotes the court documents, states that Ward's statement after the incident was that he yelled and swore at the woman, and then he took his gun out of the holster to check the safety as he planned to enter the house.

So to shorten the story, by admission he was was yelling and swearing and had the gun in his hand. That would be enough for me to consider him to have been provocatively threatening to an unarmed older lady.

I believe the jury probably came to correct decision based on what was presented to them.

I don't know how I feel about supporting Ward in jail for three years, I kind of think that taking guns out of his life (for the rest of his life) would be a suitable punishment, so perhaps I have an issue with mandatory sentencing.

Unlike the jury we know of the previous incident, and that previous incident tends to support a view that Ward does not have the best of judgement when it comes to guns.

I agree that previous history of both the people did not play a part in the trial, but his previous history was with guns capable of killing others, and her's isn't (although her's IS bad bad bad enough).

Whatever measuring stick you use his former history has to be seen as more compelling.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heaven For This Useful Post:
Newbiesaukee (12-30-2010), Winnisquamguy (12-30-2010)
Old 12-30-2010, 05:50 PM   #370
Heaven

I had to go back and read this part of the Globe article below quoting Ward Bird

“The gun rights and property rights are important — this touches on that, to be sure,’’ Bird said in a phone interview. “But it’s about the truth. It’s about how someone can make a claim against you and the powers that be can take it at face value when she is a proven liar. This could happen to anybody, not just me. And people are awakening to that.’’

So, how does that sound in light of the 2002 incident. Sure, he went home and thought about it then went to the station to confess. But he lied about it first and had to think about whether to let the lie stand, and he then makes the accusation above? Does he have a grasp on his own actions?
Old 12-30-2010, 05:57 PM   #371
MarkinNH

Quote:
The article, which I hope quotes the court documents, states that Ward's statement after the incident was that he yelled and swore at the woman, and then he took his gun out of the holster to check the safety as he planned to enter the house.

So to shorten the story, by admission he was was yelling and swearing and had the gun in his hand. That would be enough for me to consider him to have been provocatively threatening to an unarmed older lady.

I believe the jury probably came to correct decision based on what was presented to them.

I don't know how I feel about supporting Ward in jail for three years, I kind of think that taking guns out of his life (for the rest of his life) would be a suitable punishment, so perhaps I have an issue with mandatory sentencing.

Unlike the jury we know of the previous incident, and that previous incident tends to support a view that Ward does not have the best of judgment when it comes to guns.

I agree that previous history of both the people did not play a part in the trial, but his previous history was with guns capable of killing others, and her's isn't (although her's IS bad bad bad enough).

Whatever measuring stick you use his former history has to be seen as more compelling.
Since when do the newspapers ever really got all their facts straight in any article they publish ? These are the same newspapers that have a man with a belly full of stitchs from major surgury, jumping off the porch. Yup, those newspapers are Real Believable and trustworthy !

The incident from Wards past history was a bonehead move which, knowing Ward I suspect he regrets, This bonehead move was made while he was under the influence of to much alcohol. Nobody ! under the influence of alcohol is capable of using proper judgment.
Just to make it clear to some. I do not condone that "bonehead move". You don't mix alcohol and firearms for any reason EVER.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MarkinNH For This Useful Post:
NoBozo (12-30-2010), Pineedles (12-31-2010)
Old 12-30-2010, 06:53 PM   #372
Merrymeeting

Quote:

The incident from Wards past history was a bonehead move which, knowing Ward I suspect he regrets, This bonehead move was made while he was under the influence of to much alcohol. Nobody ! under the influence of alcohol is capable of using proper judgment.
Just to make it clear to some. I do not condone that "bonehead move". You don't mix alcohol and firearms for any reason EVER.
As stated earlier, I don't have a horse in this race. But the fact that, with clearer head, he reconsidered and confessed when he didn't need to do so tells me something about his character.

Still was bonehead, and I would agree it might be time to re-evaluate his gun permits. But the core of the person seems to not be an issue.
Old 12-31-2010, 02:42 AM   #373
ApS

Arrow "Risk-Averse" Here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrymeeting View Post
As stated earlier, I don't have a horse in this race...
1) Perhaps because you don't live within range of a certain 30-caliber, bullet-riddled, stump?

>>> YIKES! <<<

2) Come to think of it, today's newspapers will be featuring their annual warnings about filling tonight's skies with "hot lead" to bring in the New Year!

Old 12-31-2010, 01:49 PM   #374
Tank151

Default Ward...

This guy is a danger to the community. Apparently he's had other issues involving guns and they should be taken away from him as a person who can't handle responsibility.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tank151 For This Useful Post:
Rattle Isle Windy Side (01-01-2011), Winnisquamguy (01-01-2011)
Old 01-03-2011, 08:41 AM   #375
wuwu

Default Free ward bird!

All I can say is..I was there at the time of "target practicing" in 2008. That reporter did not even get the address correct! It was on Wintersport..and it wasn't a "loud" party..and if truth be known..it was NOT Ward who was shooting the gun! He took the blame..All we are asking is ..why? Why put this man in jail? This is clearly a he said she said. There were NO witnesses.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e41v3dI8kR0
great song!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wuwu For This Useful Post:
Argie's Wife (01-04-2011), MarkinNH (01-03-2011), SAMIAM (01-03-2011)
Old 01-03-2011, 11:30 AM   #376
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuwu View Post
All I can say is..I was there at the time of "target practicing" in 2008. That reporter did not even get the address correct! It was on Wintersport..and it wasn't a "loud" party..and if truth be known..it was NOT Ward who was shooting the gun! He took the blame..All we are asking is ..why? Why put this man in jail? This is clearly a he said she said. There were NO witnesses.
great song!
He did some "target practicing" in 2008. Did he get in trouble for that one also?

If you know that "He took the blame" then why don't you step up to the plate and tell the police who really did it. That might help Mr. Bird when it comes time for reviewing his pardon request.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:20 PM   #377
Heaven

Oh no, so Ward took the blame for someone else who had really bad judgement and now that person is not accountable (and is walking around with guns?). Why is that a good thing? Do two bad judgments make a good judgement? I don't think so. (isn't "taking the blame" a lie then? A standing lie?)
Old 01-03-2011, 12:39 PM   #378
fatlazyless

Here's a little question that I want to throw out: What's up with Ward's nickname "Lauchy" as was printed in the LaDaSun, the other day? Anyone know where he got that nickname which is supposedly pronounced Locky. Now Locky sure seems like an unusual nickname? Also printed in the LaDaSun article it said something like Ward always carried his .45 Sig concealed and never went anywhere without it because he had a concealed carry permit and it was his right to do so.

Is "Lauchy" a nickname that was derived from Locky as in Lock & Load, or Locked & Loaded, or Locky & Loadied or something? Is "Lauchy" some type of a Moultonborough, way-out-in-the-country, down-a-long-dirt-road nickname for Ward because he was always locked & loaded? "Yes, Ward is always locked & loaded so one day we just decided to start calling him "Lauchy" and it stuck, plus he seems to like the name?"

.....or something like that?
Old 01-03-2011, 07:29 PM   #379
wifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Here's a little question that I want to throw out: What's up with Ward's nickname "Lauchy" as was printed in the LaDaSun, the other day? Anyone know where he got that nickname which is supposedly pronounced Locky. Now Locky sure seems like an unusual nickname? Also printed in the LaDaSun article it said something like Ward always carried his .45 Sig concealed and never went anywhere without it because he had a concealed carry permit and it was his right to do so.

Is "Lauchy" a nickname that was derived from Locky as in Lock & Load, or Locked & Loaded, or Locky & Loadied or something? Is "Lauchy" some type of a Moultonborough, way-out-in-the-country, down-a-long-dirt-road nickname for Ward because he was always locked & loaded? "Yes, Ward is always locked & loaded so one day we just decided to start calling him "Lauchy" and it stuck, plus he seems to like the name?"

More meaningless speculation & character assassination out of you ....
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to wifi For This Useful Post:
AB_Monterey (01-03-2011), Argie's Wife (01-04-2011), brk-lnt (01-04-2011), jniff101 (01-04-2011), MarkinNH (01-04-2011)
Old 01-03-2011, 07:36 PM   #380
AB_Monterey

hoooooookay!

and with that, I believe we've crossed the line over into "absurd", where there's a Mickey Ds on every corner.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:53 AM   #381
Great Northern Cleaning

Default just curious....

If fatlazyless is trying to be witty in his incoherent posts or is he displaying early signs of dementia...I would think the moderators would edit some of his posts.

Back on topic...Just want to throw a Hello out to Ward And Ginny....you are in many many peoples thoughts and prayers everyday......

Interlakes Class of '80
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Great Northern Cleaning For This Useful Post:
brk-lnt (01-04-2011), jniff101 (01-04-2011), MarkinNH (01-04-2011), wifi (01-04-2011)
Old 01-04-2011, 08:00 AM   #382
MarkinNH

Quote:

I don't answer your question because I think you might actually care what the real answer is, but there might be some decent people reading this who do care. Ward got the nickname handed down to him from a relative. I don't recall if it was a Great Grandfather or a Great Uncle.
I know it isn't as colorful or degrading as your sarcastic speculation but is does have much more honor and meaning than I suspect your capable of understanding.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:08 AM   #383
Argie's Wife

Quote:
great song!
wuwu - Has anyone who was there at the incident, like yourself, considered writing a rebuttal to that story? You're not the only person I know who's said the story in the LaDaSun was bogus.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:27 AM   #384
wuwu

Quote:

Does anyone one know how fatlazyless got their nickname? Hmm..Fat..Lazy...Less, but then I guess this fits!
Old 01-05-2011, 12:44 PM   #385
brk-lnt

Quote:
Does anyone one know how fatlazyless got their nickname? Hmm..Fat..Lazy...Less, but then I guess this fits!
Based on previous posts when people discussed their handles here, he said he used to troll under the moniker "Lean Mean Less", and then changed it on a whim here.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:54 PM   #386
lawn psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
Based on previous posts when people discussed their handles here, he said he used to troll under the moniker "Lean Mean Less", and then changed it on a whim here.
If you dig a little on the forum you'll find his name isn't Less either

Every forum needs its resident class clown.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:31 PM   #387
Rusty

Quote:

"Lauchy"????

Maybe something like this:"We pray that Lauchie (Bird's nickname) can celebrate Christmas with the family, as we've done together all of our lives," said Bird's sister, Melissa Manville of Center Harbor. "But if he can't be with us, we will be with him in spirit."

Or maybe something like this: "Ward is my brother-in-law, and I’ve observed him closely, in all manner of situations, for the past 25 years. He is known to family and friends as “Lauchie” (pronounced “Locky”), so please allow me to continue this letter using that name."
Old 01-05-2011, 05:16 PM   #388
fatlazyless

hello everybody,

In thinking about carrying a handgun that is totally concealed from view, here's a couple thoughts off the top of my head.

- It carries with it the very big responsibility of having a very potent weapon, and a .45 Sig is a very powerful weapon.

- Carrying concealed will strongly tend to empower the person with a feeling of increased security or a feeling of superiority because he probably thinks that another individual does NOT have a concealed weapon while at the same time he does.

How can this influence his actions? It could make him more aggressive knowing that he can always rely on his handgun and instead of tending toward withdrawing from a confrontation, it encourages more aggressive actions. So, carrying concealed can aggravate a situation that otherwise would have been solved by speaking in a way to get along with someone as opposed to confronting them. This is known as "posturing" when your attitude effects you to assume a certain posture in your mindset.

For every situation where a concealed handgun solves a security problem, there's probably three situations where it makes the situation worse because people are less likely to back down or to retreat and just call and explain the situation to the police down at 911.

So, carrying concealed comes with a big responsibility and a big need to act responsibly so maybe a carry permit should require a training course and a test. After all, driving a car or piloting a boat both require a state training course and a state test so why not for handguns too?

If Ward had had to make the effort to attend a training course and then pass a test, wouldn't he probably be less likely to be all locked up with his current situation? Just my two cents ..........
Old 01-05-2011, 07:39 PM   #389
MarkinNH

Quote:
hello everybody,

In thinking about carrying a handgun that is totally concealed from view, here's a couple thoughts off the top of my head.

- It carries with it the very big responsibility of having a very potent weapon, and a .45 Sig is a very powerful weapon.

- Carrying concealed will strongly tend to empower the person with a feeling of increased security or a feeling of superiority because he probably thinks that another individual does NOT have a concealed weapon while at the same time he does.

How can this influence his actions? It could make him more aggressive knowing that he can always rely on his handgun and instead of tending toward withdrawing from a confrontation, it encourages more aggressive actions. So, carrying concealed can aggravate a situation that otherwise would have been solved by speaking in a way to get along with someone as opposed to confronting them. This is known as "posturing" when your attitude effects you to assume a certain posture in your mindset.

For every situation where a concealed handgun solves a security problem, there's probably three situations where it makes the situation worse because people are less likely to back down or to retreat and just call and explain the situation to the police down at 911.

So, carrying concealed comes with a big responsibility and a big need to act responsibly so maybe a carry permit should require a training course and a test. After all, driving a car or piloting a boat both require a state training course and a state test so why not for handguns too?

If Ward had had to make the effort to attend a training course and then pass a test, wouldn't he probably be less likely to be all locked up with his current situation? Just my two cents ..........
Your "two cents" fell about $10.00 short of being worth anything !
The Following User Says Thank You to MarkinNH For This Useful Post:
wuwu (01-06-2011)
Old 01-05-2011, 10:28 PM   #390
tummyman

One solution to some comments by "fatlazyless" or others with off base or off target/thread comments is to ignore their postings. Most of the time, they are subliminally egging people on to respond. Responding just feeds their appetite to comment further. Just one persons opinion....
The Following User Says Thank You to tummyman For This Useful Post:
wuwu (01-06-2011)
Old 01-05-2011, 11:01 PM   #391
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tummyman View Post
One solution to some comments by "fatlazyless" or others with off base or off target/thread comments is to ignore their postings. Most of the time, they are subliminally egging people on to respond. Responding just feeds their appetite to comment further. Just one persons opinion....
Agreed. FLL is on my ignore filter now.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:14 AM   #392
Pineedles

brk-Int,

Off topic, but I've been meaning to ask you about your avatar. Is that a cap or a pancake on the bunny's head?
Old 01-06-2011, 09:07 AM   #393
fatlazyless

Hey Rattle Island-Windy Side, while I cannot please everyone with my comments, at least it's nice to know that you are thinking about them.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:15 AM   #394
MarkinNH

Quote:
Hey Rattle Island-Windy Side, while I cannot please everyone with my comments, at least it's nice to know that you are thinking about them.
You could please EVERYONE very easily with your comments. Don't Make Any !!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MarkinNH For This Useful Post:
RailroadJoe (01-06-2011), wifi (01-06-2011)
Old 01-06-2011, 11:11 AM   #395
Pineedles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattle Isle Windy Side View Post
pancake.

and I bet that bunny is smarter than the average anti-gun loon?

For the record, I have never talked to a loon about whether they were anti-gun or not. Considering you can't hunt them, I'm guessing they wouldn't really care.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:00 PM   #396
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
For the record, I have never talked to a loon about whether they were anti-gun or not. Considering you can't hunt them, I'm guessing they wouldn't really care.
Good one Pineedles!
Old 01-06-2011, 12:14 PM   #397
nvtngtxpyr

Quote:
You could please EVERYONE very easily with your comments. Don't Make Any !!!
Excellent suggestion, but since he has almost twice as many posts as the number of days that he's been a member of this forum, it's likely that he doesn't have a life away from the Internet.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:08 PM   #398
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvtngtxpyr View Post
that he doesn't have a life away from the Internet.
...you got that one right....just a forum nitwit and all-around blabber mouth here! Actually, I have caught the flu bug and have been flu-ed out for the last nine days caughing up yellow phlegm....but....whatever ... ...this forum is good therapy for self-medicating to lose the flu.... !
Old 01-06-2011, 03:20 PM   #399
NoBozo

Quote:
...you got that one right....just a forum nitwit and all-around blabber mouth here! Actually, I have caught the flu bug and have been flu-ed out for the last nine days caughing up yellow phlegm....but....whatever ... ...this forum is good therapy for self-medicating to lose the flu.... !
If the Phlegm starts to look Green, you could try to Quit Smoking. I had that problem over 40 years ago and the Doctor told me if I quit, things would get better. That old Fart didn't think I could do it.. I showed him.

Haven't had a cigarette since. When you're coughing up green phlegm, cigarettes, just make your mouth taste like a seagull slept in it anyhow. NB
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NoBozo For This Useful Post:
Argie's Wife (01-06-2011), fatlazyless (01-07-2011)
Old 01-06-2011, 05:58 PM   #400
Seeker

WMUR has an interview with Ward on the 6 o'clock news tonight.
Closed Thread