Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2004, 09:01 AM   #1
Rattlesnake Gal

Default Insurance on PWC

Our son is 16 and has not yet gotten his drivers license. Our policy on the PWC is $300,000 with a $1,000 deductible. Because he does not have a license the coverage for him goes down to $10,000 with a $2,500 deductible. His boat certification has absolutely no impact on his coverage. I find this very strange. One would think the boat license would be more beneficial than the drivers license.
Also, our insurance carrier requires us to list the people that will be using the PWC and only the listed people are insured. Is that normal?
Old 03-05-2004, 12:17 PM   #2
Rattlesnake Gal

Default Re: Insurance on PWC

Spent the morning on the phone getting quotes and Progressive came up with something we are happy with. Full coverage for everyone.
Old 03-05-2004, 01:41 PM   #3
FORMULA 1

What kind of prices are you getting and for what size PWC? I've been thinking I'm being overcharged for the last couple of years.
Thanks for the help
Old 03-05-2004, 01:54 PM   #4
trailer guy

RS Gal,
We recently had a similar discussion with our agent regarding the two PWC's we just insured. We were told the operator had to be licensed (driver's license, not boat certification). Any state would do, but if the operator was not licensed, the coverage would be void. There was an exception for an under age operator. My 14 year old (who does have her boating certificate) can operate, provided a licensed driver is onboard the same craft. The coverage would remain the same. I'd be curious to know what your premium is. Someone gave me the name of an outfit that specializes in this type of coverage and their rates seem to be very reasonable. Thanks, Trailer Guy
Old 03-05-2004, 07:02 PM   #5
Rattlesnake Gal

Four agencies later... you are right. My 14 year old son has to have an adult with him that is certified. The 16 year old because he is "learning" to drive is now fully covered. I confirmed this three times with the agent.
I found out that every carrier has different policies on PWC insurance coverage. Lots of things factor into it, driving record, (on the road and the lake) experience in boating and safety track record. Not to mention the make and model of the craft.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2004, 07:22 PM   #6
Rattlesnake Gal

The top two picks were Progressive and Sea Safe, Ski Safe. (We have boat insurance through them - Progressive couldn't beat their price)
There is also Boat US.
Good luck.
Old 03-09-2004, 05:03 PM   #7
Tim

Favor higher LIABILITY limits over protecting the PWC. You can probably afford another PWC, but not a judgment of $1m+. Also, if you have a PERSONAL UMBRELLA POLICY you must notify your carrier in order to have the Umbrella follow the PWC coverage. In some cases you may find that you CAN NOT endorse your PWC under the umbrella. Especially high cc motors. LAST: plans are different. Get a faxed proposal describing the protections offered. That way you can COMPARE acuratly the differences between them.
Old 03-09-2004, 05:08 PM   #8
Tim

No matter how much instruction you give, if one of your weekend guests causes an accident and people are suing...your absolutely at fault. Kind of like having a Rottweiler behind a fence. The neighbors kid may be stupid enough to put his hand in there, but your still negligent! Bottom Line? Control your risk and insure yourself for a catastrophe!

I'll be here all week...try the veal!
Old 03-11-2004, 09:15 AM   #9
Rattlesnake Gal

Good thoughtful and informative posts Tim. Am I missing something with your closing line?

I'll be here all week...try the veal!
Old 03-11-2004, 04:30 PM   #10
Tim

No, just a classic line from one of my favorite movies...Schrek! "
Old 03-12-2004, 10:24 AM   #11
Rattlesnake Gal

Of course now recognize the line. Did not expect humor in such a serious post! Mike Meyers is brilliant. Eddie is pretty good too.