Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2018, 07:34 PM   #1
Sundancer320

Default Chase island obstacles

All, have been boating on the lake for three years spending most of our time at the southern and western ends. Looking at property around Chase Island and looking for tips on navigating this section of the lake. Any special considerations to be aware of in this area of 19mile bay? 3 years on the lake and still consider myself a rookie..any advise is appreciated..
Sundancer320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 07:51 PM   #2
SAB1

I live right in that area. Nice spot. You'll have less traffic with pier 19 store and gas not open. The water is pretty friendly in that area just learn graveyard and watch out on the north side of pistol island. The area to south of chase between chase and chase point can get busy with kids sailing and skiing from camp belknap. If you have western exposure you will see some great sunsets and boat rides to the north thru moultonboro up to Lees mills are fun. Each September there is a steamboat rally out lees mills.
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 08:23 PM   #3
Sundancer320

Thanks Sab...I have been thru graveyard area but not much around the two islands..chase and farm ...looks ok from google earth but see some possible rocks between them...thanks for the tips!
Old 06-19-2018, 05:50 AM   #4
SAB1

Nothing major around those islands. No wake zone between farm and chase just stay away from the two black pins on farm side. Don't ever try to make it between farm and mainland to east of farm. We have sat on beach and see people do it most every weekend. About one out of three find the rocks.
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 08:05 AM   #5
KPW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer320 View Post
Thanks Sab...I have been thru graveyard area but not much around the two islands..chase and farm ...looks ok from google earth but see some possible rocks between them...thanks for the tips!
Just stay on the Chase Island side of the black bouys
KPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2018, 09:11 AM   #6
WJT2

Talking Chase Island

Traveling East/West as you pass between Chase and Farm always stay North Side of Black Top Spar. The Marine stores and Gas Docks used to sell a decal you could place on the dashboard. Great Navigational tool in helping to understand course direction around markers. I learned acronym BReaking NEWS . B(black)R(red) Black Spar stay NORTH on East/West course; Stay EAST on North/South course; Red Spar stay SOUTH on East/West course; Stay WEST on North South Course. Maybe this will help. Also a compass is a good idea on any boat. If you don't follow these navigation rules you may be BREAKING NEWS on WMUR!!

Last edited by WJT2; 06-19-2018 at 09:16 AM. Reason: spelling error
WJT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 10:06 AM   #7
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Looks like people have covered most things... in the no wake area, between farm and chase, there are a couple of rocks that a very close to shore, that effect dock approaches....

now if you are on the graveyard side of chase, you do need to be aware that on occasion the wind blows hard across the open water right at the island and it gets rough...
Old 06-19-2018, 07:27 PM   #8
Cal Coon

The rule of thumb I was taught to remember which way to go when coming up on red top buoys is to think (red) is "HOT", and it's always "hot" in the south and (south)west of the US, so you always want to stay south and/or west of red top buoys. Black is simply the opposite, north and/or east. All you have to remember is that red is hot, and where is it always hot in the US? South and (south)West.
Cal Coon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 07:55 PM   #9
Formula260SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Coon View Post
The rule of thumb I was taught to remember which way to go when coming up on red top buoys is to think (red) is "HOT", and it's always "hot" in the south and (south)west of the US, so you always want to stay south and/or west of red top buoys. Black is simply the opposite, north and/or east. All you have to remember is that red is hot, and where is it always hot in the US? South and (south)West.
We live in the North East - Black.....the red should be obvious
Formula260SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 08:39 PM   #10
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

All these memory jogs are great, BUT...
In front of my camp there is a red and a black buoy. Yes, you go west of one, and east of the other. But in practice, you go south of both. Just read the chart and follow the dotted lines. Then look at your compass and assemble ALL the info. There are too many places where NEWS is an over simplification. It works, but you have to see the whole picture and understand why that buoy is red, not black.
I recall visiting a friend in Moultonborough. There was a (red?) buoy in front of their camp. Which side to go? They said "it doesn't matter. Just don't hit the rock under the buoy. Same story from a friend on Ossipee. Local knowledge is prime.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 05:15 AM   #11
Barney Bear

Default Black Top Now Red Top

The red top bouy just west of the no-wake buoy in Glendale harbor replaces a black top buoy which was in the same location. The buoy denotes the location of a large rock which threatens some sail boat keels. For many years, there was no buoy at this location. ⛵️
Barney Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 10:01 AM   #12
Cal Coon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula260SS View Post
We live in the North East - Black.....the red should be obvious
I'm not exactly sure what you mean with this response, but, I think it's a little more obvious to relate the color red to HEAT than to relate the color black to the Northeast. The color red has ALWAYS symbolized "HOT/HEAT" in other aspects of life and makes it easier to remember imho. Just throwing it out there, you do what you want. We are free to agree to disagree...

Last edited by Cal Coon; 06-20-2018 at 12:25 PM.
Cal Coon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 01:24 PM   #13
Sundancer320

I started this thread to get the local knowledge. Not a basics instruction on the color coding and the rhymes to remember them. I wanted to get a inside view on the area from someone who navigates it regularly..thanks to those who gave me solid tips and info.
Old 06-20-2018, 02:26 PM   #14
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
All these memory jogs are great, BUT...
In front of my camp there is a red and a black buoy. Yes, you go west of one, and east of the other. But in practice, you go south of both. Just read the chart and follow the dotted lines. Then look at your compass and assemble ALL the info. There are too many places where NEWS is an over simplification. It works, but you have to see the whole picture and understand why that buoy is red, not black.
I recall visiting a friend in Moultonborough. There was a (red?) buoy in front of their camp. Which side to go? They said "it doesn't matter. Just don't hit the rock under the buoy. Same story from a friend on Ossipee. Local knowledge is prime.
Absolutely. I am on the Tuftonboro side of Moultonborough Bay, and we have a number of counterintuitive buoys. Dangerous if you have not studied the chart--people should not rely upon buoys alone.
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post:
ursa minor (06-20-2018)
Old 06-20-2018, 02:57 PM   #15
Phantom

The biggest lesson that I have learned from the 35+yrs of boating Winni is nothing beats local knowledge. I always teach new drivers to NEVER blindly follow another boat because "they must know what their doing" (8/10 don't)

So to Sundancer, I suggest - on a sunny morning when the water is calm & you can see well below the surface--- slowly & carefully maneuver around the various markers to get a better understanding of what lies beneath (and at what depth - which Seasonally adjusts)

The Bizer Chart and a good compass will always keep you safe .........but is not always the only way to travel (once you know the particular area & what the markers are indicating).

-Markers can indicate a single rock cluster adjacent to the stick
-Markers can indicate a rock field from the stick to shoreline
-Markers can indicate a rock field between a pair of red/black tops
-Markers can indicate simply deep water and the area inside the stick is perfectly safe for shallow draft pleasure craft (classic example is FL#1)

Enjoy your time on the water !! It's a Great Lake to explore

and YES -- you will ding a prop here and there, We all have or we weren't exploring ……. just hope it's when at no wake speed the other way is quite disturbing (I can assure you first hand) !

Old 06-20-2018, 03:08 PM   #16
ursa minor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
Absolutely. I am on the Tuftonboro side of Moultonborough Bay, and we have a number of counterintuitive buoys. Dangerous if you have not studied the chart--people should not rely upon buoys alone.
Like when heading from the direction of Nine Acre Island and passing between Spectacle Island and Moultonboro Neck the colors on the bouys swap sides? That kind of counterintuitive? I've always enjoyed that one... I would imagine the technical reason is because of a change in course direction, even though you really don't change course in any manner that I can notice.
Old 06-20-2018, 07:05 PM   #17
kawishiwi

Default North of Dow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursa minor View Post
Like when heading from the direction of Nine Acre Island and passing between Spectacle Island and Moultonboro Neck the colors on the bouys swap sides? That kind of counterintuitive? I've always enjoyed that one... I would imagine the technical reason is because of a change in course direction, even though you really don't change course in any manner that I can notice.
Very close to that spot is the passage between Dow island and the "mainland". My first week on the lake I tooled into that stretch and was baffled, befuddled, & possibly even flabbergasted. Ahead of me was a colorful mish-mash of numerous black and red markers in what appeared to be a wholly random pattern. After long study it appeared to turn into a slalom course that STILL didnt make sense. I tried to take a picture but I couldnt capture the feel of being in a maze of markers. I still take the first couple of trips each year through that stretch slowly & carefully.
Old 06-21-2018, 07:15 AM   #18
ursa minor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawishiwi View Post
Very close to that spot is the passage between Dow island and the "mainland".
I believe the area you're referring to was called "the wiggles" by the old timers (steamboat days) because of the twists and turns needed. It gets my full undivided attention as well, you're in good company.
kawishiwi (06-21-2018)