Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > History
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2016, 10:33 AM   #1
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Arrow Saltmarsh Pond in Gilford

I was browsing through my copy of The Gunstock Parish, by Adair Mulligan and I found the answer to the question I have had for a while now about why a pond in Gilford bears the name of Saltmarsh Pond. The following map is why I thought about it.

To Gallery for the full sized map: 1881 B & M Map of Lake Winnipiseogee and Vicinity
(Click on photo to enlarge)

Excerpt from the book: Gilford has only three natural ponds beyond what the beavers and bulldozers provide. Saltmarsh Pond, first known as Chattleborough Pond, drains into Jewett Brook and was named first for Thomas Chattle, who owned property nearby, and then for Thomas Saltmarsh, one of the town's first selectmen who farmed there. Lily Pond and it's associated wetlands, once known for their moose and water lilies, are the source of Black Brook, which flows into Paugus Bay. A hidden jewel of Gilford is Round Pond, protected in a high valley beneath Belknap and Piper mountains near the Gilmanton line. Once called Suncook Ponds, it is one of the sources of the Suncook River, which flows south into the Merrimack.

The following is a close up of Saltmarsh Pond, taken from an 1859 map of Gilford.
Attached Images

Last edited by Rattlesnake Gal; 09-27-2016 at 11:14 AM.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rattlesnake Gal For This Useful Post:
Slickcraft (09-27-2016)
Old 09-27-2016, 10:39 AM   #2
Rattlesnake Gal

Arrow The Gunstock Parish

The Gunstock Parish, by Adair Mulligan is one of my absolute favorite lake books. I wish she would write more books about Lake Winnipesaukee and the surrounding towns. She states there was a lot more history that she could have included in this book.

It can be purchased at many local book stores etc. I picked up my copy years ago at The Belknap Mill. Or it can be purchased at The Thompson Ames Historical Society in Gilford.
Old 09-27-2016, 07:45 PM   #3
mneck1814

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Gal View Post
The Gunstock Parish, by Adair Mulligan is one of my absolute favorite lake books. I wish she would write more books about Lake Winnipesaukee and the surrounding towns. She states there was a lot more history that she could have included in this book.

It can be purchased at many local book stores etc. I picked up my copy years ago at The Belknap Mill. Or it can be purchased at The Thompson Ames Historical Society in Gilford.
I should see Adair next week, I will let her know you'd like more books!!
mneck1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mneck1814 For This Useful Post:
Rattlesnake Gal (09-28-2016)
Old 09-28-2016, 04:54 AM   #4
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

I had also wondered about the name of the pond and would never have guessed that a prior owner was named Saltmarsh.

In Alton I had also wondered about the name of Jesus Valley Road.
The dead end gravel road runs uphill with no valley in sight. There are only a few houses and no obvious religious connection. One day I asked a woman who lives on the road about the name. She explained the original farm on the road was owned by a man of Hispanic heritage named Jesus Valle. The road was named after him and years after his passing Valle was changed to Valley. A check at the online registrar of deeds confirmed that one Jesus Valle was once the farm owner.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
Rattlesnake Gal (09-28-2016)
Old 09-28-2016, 01:16 PM   #5
Rattlesnake Gal

Talking You know her?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mneck1814 View Post
I should see Adair next week, I will let her know you'd like more books!!
mmneck1814, you know her?!!! Please tell Ms. Mulligan that I absolutely love her book, The Gunstock Parish!!! I treasure it. (I have #802) She did an amazing job of writing the history of the area in such an interesting way and it is truly is my favorite lake book. That would be great if you would ask her if she's interested. I would love to read a detailed history of Alton Bay, Wolfeboro, Meredith... You get the idea. Lol. I would be willing to contact the historical societies etc.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2016, 04:34 PM   #6
mneck1814

I do know her, she is on a couple of local committees that I work with from time to time. She is very active in local government and conservation efforts in the Upper Valley, both as a volunteer and as Executive Director of the Hanover Conservancy. I will certainly pass along your praise for her great books!
mneck1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mneck1814 For This Useful Post:
mcdude (09-28-2016), Rattlesnake Gal (09-29-2016)
Old 09-29-2016, 05:45 PM   #7
Rattlesnake Gal

Arrow Please...

Please also tell her how incredible it is that she put the history of The Gunstock Parish in one place. I think that's exactly why I hunger for more. She is so excellent.