Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-31-2011, 07:47 AM   #1
Irish mist

Default Hannaford's Holiday Pricing

Hannaford's in Gilford jacked up almost all their prices for the holiday. I was in there this mornng & just.....wow. Reminds me of the bad old days when Jackson Star in Gilford used to nail the tourists on the holidays & for most of the summer.

I just got a few items today. I'll be going down to Market Basket tomorrow for the rest of my shopping. MB never pulls this crap on its customers.
Irish mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:08 AM   #2
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Just one item I noticed....at Hannifords, fresh raddish (bunch) $1.49
Market Basket .89
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:19 AM   #3
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

They definitely have pricing disparities chain-wide. I could deal with if the stores compared were in NH and the other in Alaska, but there are huge differences between here and Laconia.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:11 AM   #4
Meredith lady

Default pricing

Market Basket is my choice as well. The extra drive saves me money and as much as i like to support the local economy...it is hard when you get such better savings at Market Basket.
Meredith lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:53 AM   #5
Irish mist

The Canadian bread went from $2 to $3.69 since last week. Their Perdue chicken-cuts went from $3.99 to $4.49. Their eggs went up about 30 cents across the board. Their milk went up about 20 cents & on & on. I expect that they will come down somewhat on the prices until the next big holiday, but I'm done with them for the summer.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-2011, 10:35 AM   #6
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

And now go today and it will all be on sale because no one bought it all.
I always buy early in the week before the holidays. Then I go on Weds or Thursday after and pretty much it is all on sale again. You have to be a smart shopper these days. No such thing as customer loyalty anymore. Well, maybe at Market Basket.
Can't wait to see what happens at the new Hannaford's in Gilford when it opens.
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:44 AM   #7
tricia1218

Over the last couple of years we noticed the price differnce between the stores here and at home, and the cost is sometimes 3 times what we would pay at home. We rarely if ever food shop at the lake now.
tricia1218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 11:38 AM   #8
lakejen

Default Hannaford

It is not just on Holidays. I live in Alton, but work in Rochester. I try to go to the Hannaford in Rochester because of this reason. Produce is always significantly higher in Alton, and the deli meats are all $1.00 more per pound. Doesn't seem fair.

I heard that the Meredith and Alton stores both share in their pricing!!! Gilford is less.
lakejen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 12:22 PM   #9
Irish mist

Once the Super-Walmart is open in Tilton alongside the Market Basket we should see even better pricing in the area. How the Shaw's in Tilton is staying open is beyond me with their high price-points.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:20 PM   #10
John A. Birdsall

Default shopping

My wife likes to shop at hannifords in Alton, Why, because the items always cost more and she would rather waste our retirement funds than go out on the boat.
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John A. Birdsall For This Useful Post:
Rattlesnake Guy (06-01-2011)
Old 06-01-2011, 12:26 PM   #11
This'nThat

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A. Birdsall View Post
My wife likes to shop at hannifords in Alton, Why, because the items always cost more and she would rather waste our retirement funds than go out on the boat.
If I were you, I'd be careful making remarks like that. Someone is bound to believe you, and begin to take issue.

{P.S., You are just kidding, right? Right???}
This'nThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 12:01 PM   #12
Lucky1

Default Disappointed to hear they raise prices for summer and holidays..

I do most of my food shopping there and will have to reconsider. However the gas to go to different supermarkets would cost me quite a bit and there really are no other super markets that I feel are as good.

I do not know what I will end up doing. In FL I shop at Publix but just last week decided that between Costco and Sweetbay, I really save money and get the same or better food. So now I buy fewer things at Publix. I guess that may be what happens in NH. I will get to buy some things at other stores. Do we have a Costco nearer than Nashua?
Lucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 12:11 PM   #13
Tadpole

Default Costco

As far as I know, Nashua has the only Costco in NH.
Lucky1 (06-05-2011)
Old 06-04-2011, 12:42 PM   #14
Seeker

I laugh when I see their commercials of the ladies sitting around agreeing how great Hannaford's is. Our nearest store is Ossipee 10+ miles away. As soon as you find something you like there like a brand of cat or dog food, the next time you go in they don't carry it anymore. Their excuse is "We're such a small store we can't order everything the larger stores can". They sure don't have any trouble raising their prices whenever the mood strikes, especially when the summer folk come back.

We do much of our shopping in Maine even with the tax it's cheaper.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 01:10 PM   #15
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky1 View Post
I do most of my food shopping there and will have to reconsider. However the gas to go to different supermarkets would cost me quite a bit and there really are no other super markets that I feel are as good.

I do not know what I will end up doing. In FL I shop at Publix but just last week decided that between Costco and Sweetbay, I really save money and get the same or better food. So now I buy fewer things at Publix. I guess that may be what happens in NH. I will get to buy some things at other stores. Do we have a Costco nearer than Nashua?
I think groceries in Florida are very expensive. I haven't found any other grocery store that beats Marketbasket prices.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Greene's Basin Girl For This Useful Post:
Lucky1 (06-05-2011)
Old 06-04-2011, 04:48 PM   #16
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Local good buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakejen View Post
It is not just on Holidays. I live in Alton, but work in Rochester. I try to go to the Hannaford in Rochester because of this reason. Produce is always significantly higher in Alton, and the deli meats are all $1.00 more per pound. Doesn't seem fair.

I heard that the Meredith and Alton stores both share in their pricing!!! Gilford is less.
lakejen: We too live in Alton, and buy most of our produce at Fiddleheads. We have found them to be very much cheaper than Hannafords. We also get our eggs there...still $.99 a dozen.

When a store like Hannafords go into a small community, their pricing is such that it is either cheaper to shop there than to spend the gas to go 20 miles away to a larger store; or they are roughly the same price, but the packages are smaller (12 oz vs 16 oz, etc.). It is the price for living in our small town!!!!
Old 06-04-2011, 04:57 PM   #17
Irish mist

Hannaford's is not just adjusting prices for normal product inflation, but is using that old tactic that we remember so well from Jackson Star where they would nail the summer tourists on weekends & move prices up & down in the summer weeks to see how far they can push the consumers. Lol, Shaw's is offering no help in the price wars up here. They just price everything like this area is NYC
Old 06-05-2011, 06:13 AM   #18
tummyman

After stopping at the Shaw's in Gilford while at Lowes, we were once again shocked by over pricing for items. Left the store with only a few items. We now drive right by Shaw's and Hannaford's and go to Tilton for Market Basket. Have shopped in MB for over 30 years on MA and enjoyed every saving. We lug as much food as we can from each trip to MB and only supplement a few perishables at Heath's in Center Harbor. We NEED a MB closer ! Some people are now considering a car pool to MB each week, to cut the gas price in half for the trip. Makes sense to me. People, wake up....these large chains like Hannaford's ans Shaw's are fleecing you every day. Organize a car pool with a neighbor and go to Tilton Market Basket once a week. I met people a few weeks ago that drive down every week from Littleton just to food shop at MB. It's your money that you are wasting if you do not shop at MB. And do not start about the quality thing.....MB does NOT have poor quality foods. Don't be foolish with your precious money in this tight economy, unless there is a foot of snow that forces you to make a quick trip to one of the very high priced alternatives. Try the car pool trick with a neighbor....you get two benefits..a time with a friend and a money savings. And you don;t have to have some special card from the store to save...MB saves for everyone without all the gimmicks of store exclusive cards, etc.
tummyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 06:42 AM   #19
fatlazyless

Supposedly, the Plymouth Hannaford's, which is HUGE, has some low prices because there's a Super Wal-Mart one mile up the road: Rt 93-Exit 26. Do not know anymore if this is really true?
Old 06-05-2011, 07:21 AM   #20
Belmont Resident

Default Not just on food items.

Prices on materials, service work on your car, boat and ATV are all higher in this area because it is a tourist destination. Even Pizza hut used to raises their prices in the spring and reduce them in the fall. Compare prices on rental property in the lakes region during peak and off peak season and during special events.
This is why I have no sympathy for those who are complaining about loss of business due to the economy. Drop your prices and maybe you will fill all those empty rentals.
Exact same thing happened with the old Burger King site. They demanded higher rent.
So for the last what 4-5 years they have had no rent but are paying premium taxes.
It is called being greedy and it is perfectly legal, but sometimes it bits you in the butt.
Belmont Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Belmont Resident For This Useful Post:
Bubs (06-05-2011), Lakesrider (06-05-2011), Long time laker (06-12-2011), topwater (06-05-2011)
Old 06-05-2011, 08:31 AM   #21
Rattlesnake Guy

Default It's working.

Driving by expensive stores to go to MB is supply and demand at it's best. It is up to each business owner to set the price point they think allows them to make the most money. Likewise it is up to us to decide how much and where to buy in order to keep as much money as we want to. Capitalism at it's best. The more folks who chose MB, the less profitable the Shaws and Hanaford model becomes.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 09:25 AM   #22
Lakesrider

Well for some the MB route is great. For others like myself whom are only buying for two it really makes no sense to drive an extra 20 miles to go to MB.
I figure I save more by doing route scheduling thing. I got to Lowe's, go to my condo garage near Pepi Herman Crystal, go to either Hannaford's or Shaw's, head to the Wining Butcher, get gas at Fullers, ($2.64 now BTW) Stop at Subway for a foot long sub etc. Driving all the way from Moultonborough to MB just makes no sense, time and gas wise, for me. However if I am going to Nashua, Manchester etc. I'll stop in of course. I guess you just have to figure out what is right for you.
It is just like this Tuesday, I will go do all my shopping for the next two weeks so I don't have to deal with melting ice cream in my truck being stuck in the Bike traffic. So I will most likely throw the coolers in the truck and head down to Tilton and MB.
Git 'er done!
Old 06-05-2011, 09:27 AM   #23
SAMIAM

MB is only about 20 miles from Meredith which equals about 2 gallons of gas in the average car.....$7-$8 roughly. You could save that much on a $50 order so it seems well worth it to make the trip for weekly shopping.
I agree with Meredith Lady about shopping local when ever possible....but not if I'm going to get gouged.
Old 06-05-2011, 01:21 PM   #24
Rattlesnake Guy

Lakesrider.
Was that a typo that gas at fullers is $2.64?
Thanks
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 06:51 AM   #25
patman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Guy View Post
Lakesrider.
Was that a typo that gas at fullers is $2.64?
Thanks
No typo. I saw $2.64 when I drove by yesterday. $2.69 at the new Murphy's store, the rest were all $2.7x and up.
patman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:32 AM   #26
rrr

Are you sure it wasn't $3.64, $3.69, etc.?
rrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:58 AM   #27
patman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrr View Post
Are you sure it wasn't $3.64, $3.69, etc.?
@#$&@(*&(!!! You are correct. $3.64, $3.69. Wishful thinking Freudian slip I guess.
patman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:12 AM   #28
hilltopper

After paying just under 4 bucks for a bag of salt and vinegar pototo chips at the Meredith Hannaford, I'm ready to vote with my feet. It has gotten to the point that I told my wife that I was willing to stop at the MB in Tilton on my way home from work once a week. Yes, I am THAT irritated with the price gouging (absolutely hate shopping of any type). I do hope people start voting with their feet. The Hannaford will get their Summer vacation business but, if enough locals vote with their feet, when the Summer vacation folks disappear so will Hannaford's business.
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:22 AM   #29
Meredith lady

Default grocery prices are going up!

As much as i like to shop locally (Heaths, Moulton Farms) i refuse to pay the prices at Hannafords and Shaws in either Meredith or Gilford. As Samiam stated, i am not going to get gouged. i work too hard for my money to throw it away to save myself a 20 minute drive down 93 to Market Basket. No matter if you are shopping for a family of one or 10, you will save money. i utilize my freezer, and can keep fresh vegetables for up to a week with proper storage. Once a week i hit Tilton for Market Basket and it saves me lots of money each month on groceries. Just my opinion...and we all know i do alot of cooking!!
Meredith lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 05:25 PM   #30
SAMIAM

Holy bleep !! Stopped at Hannafords today because I have a bunch of family coming over tommorow for a BBQ......decided to go with baby back ribs until I saw the price $8.99 lb...........that is not a typo.....9 bucks a pound for pork. I packed up and drove down to Market Basket and bought ribs that looked better for $3.99 lb I ended up with 11lbs which saved me a whopping $65 over Hannafords price. Bye the way....checked out BJ's and they were even cheaper.....$3.49
Anyway, my point is this.....Hannifords should be ashamed of themselves for gouging people.
It took me one hour round trip and about 2 gallons of gas to save $65
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
Lucky1 (06-08-2011), Meredith lady (06-08-2011), Sue Doe-Nym (06-08-2011)
Old 06-08-2011, 10:46 AM   #31
Lakesrider

Which Hannafords? If it was the Meredith one....well you know what I think of that store. I haven't stepped foot in there since just after it opened. Rip Off.
The only thing that shopping there does is enforce their over pricing policy. If people stopped going, the prices would come down. Just like gasoline.
They must pay their employees $20.00. That has to be it.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:19 AM   #32
CateP

I am enjoying reading this thread because when I visited the area last week I went grocery shopping at Shaws in Gilford . Needless to say I was dismayed by both the prices and product selection.

When I returned to NJ I went to Wegman's and realized that would be the one thing I would really miss when I move to Wolfeboro. So I've been strategizing on how I'm going to grocery shop (for one).

The first thing I am going to do is buy a small freezer and put it in the basement. Then I am going down to Costco in Nashua to stock up. (May switch to BJs at some point). I'll probably go to Hunter's IGA (in Wolfeboro) for small items that expire quickly (milk, cold cuts). I plan on having a small food garden on my property and will look into supporting local farms. My strategy is to spend the least amount of money and energy (gas) on good quality foods, while supporting local growers (not grocers). I'm going to pay careful attention to my first few months grocery costs and adjust my strategy accordingly.

BTW- I was told that you can freeze fresh veggies and they will keep for a LONG time. You have to parboil them and then seal.
CateP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 12:07 PM   #33
Happy Gourmand

Default karma?

Funny how not too long ago these same kind of comments were being posted about Jackson Star..well....maybe it isn't too funny. The way I see it...they are both large convenience stores... pricing their product according to what the market will bear. We usually bring our groceries up from home (Nashua). If not, we will go to Shaw's in Gilford for the specials...then over to Hannaford's in Gilford for the rest of what we may want. But if time warrants, it's down to Tilton to the Market Basket.
Pretty amazing how different these stores are from one another especially considering that 2 of them are the same chain.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 02:51 PM   #34
GTO

Default Power of the Forum.....

Is there anyway to print out this thread and send it to someome at Hannafords, either the corporate office or the store itself? It would be good to let them know how the locals feel
Old 06-08-2011, 06:10 PM   #35
Irish mist

Shaw's has closed ALL of their stores in Connecticut. They also closed the only Shaw's in the north country of NH several years ago. And if anyone can tell me how Shaw's is keeping that ghost town of a store in Tilton open I would love to know.

Yup......not a big fan of Shaw's.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:20 PM   #36
nicole

Quote:
Originally Posted by CateP View Post
I am enjoying reading this thread because when I visited the area last week I went grocery shopping at Shaws in Gilford . Needless to say I was dismayed by both the prices and product selection.

When I returned to NJ I went to Wegman's and realized that would be the one thing I would really miss when I move to Wolfeboro. So I've been strategizing on how I'm going to grocery shop (for one).

The first thing I am going to do is buy a small freezer and put it in the basement. Then I am going down to Costco in Nashua to stock up. (May switch to BJs at some point). I'll probably go to Hunter's IGA (in Wolfeboro) for small items that expire quickly (milk, cold cuts). I plan on having a small food garden on my property and will look into supporting local farms. My strategy is to spend the least amount of money and energy (gas) on good quality foods, while supporting local growers (not grocers). I'm going to pay careful attention to my first few months grocery costs and adjust my strategy accordingly.

BTW- I was told that you can freeze fresh veggies and they will keep for a LONG time. You have to parboil them and then seal.
They are building a Wegman's in Northboro, MA. It opens October 16. From my house in the Gilford/Laconia area-on the weekend without traffic-we can make in just shy of 2 hours. I know Wolfeboro will be longer but perhaps occasional trips to stock up. My husband I will be making monthly trips to stock up. Right now whenever we are in NJ, we bring coolers and stock up in Wegmans because the quality and price is better than the stores up here.

We also buy local and got to Beans and Greens, Moulton Farms and are in the Big Banana CSA for produce that is much better than the food stores up here.

Perhaps once you are settled, you can ride down with me and my husband for one of our monthly excursions. We are counting down the days and are going to the grand opening in October.
nicole is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nicole For This Useful Post:
CateP (06-09-2011), PapaDon (06-11-2011)
Old 06-08-2011, 08:15 PM   #37
Lucky1

Default Costco

I wish we could get a Costco at the lake. I do not know if they could make a go of it in the winter months though. I guess I never checked the prices all that much at Hannafords.

I walked out of Publix today in Florida. Did not buy anything at all. THERE A COSTCO ABOUT A MILE AWAY. Got a great chicken for $4.99, much larger and tastier than the $7.99 they get at Publix. I also got 12 Kiwi's and a huge package of fresh strawberries and large bunch of asparagas etc etc. I don't know of anywhere that can beat the prices at Costco. From now on I will try to stop in Nashua when I am in New England and stock up on my way to the lake. There is a Costco not far from where I stay in MA so am going to start going there.

Thanks to this wonderful Winnipesaukee Forum, I decided to take the price of food more seriously. I had not paid as much attention to it as I should have done. I can use the money I save for more important things. For one ..........the cottage needs a new roof and a coat of paint! So thanks for setting my straight on Hannafords. I did practically all of my shopping there whenever I was at the lake!!
Old 06-08-2011, 09:14 PM   #38
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Sams in Concord

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
Holy bleep !! Stopped at Hannafords today because I have a bunch of family coming over tommorow for a BBQ......decided to go with baby back ribs until I saw the price $8.99 lb...........that is not a typo.....9 bucks a pound for pork. I packed up and drove down to Market Basket and bought ribs that looked better for $3.99 lb I ended up with 11lbs which saved me a whopping $65 over Hannafords price. Bye the way....checked out BJ's and they were even cheaper.....$3.49
Anyway, my point is this.....Hannifords should be ashamed of themselves for gouging people.
It took me one hour round trip and about 2 gallons of gas to save $65
Not to make you feel bad, but I think they were $3.29/lb at Sams. I am not a big fan of MB meat, and don't like BJ's. Not had problem with Sam's meat, it just a long drive and larger packaging for just the two of us. then again, it is more of the "good stuff".
Old 06-09-2011, 07:02 AM   #39
Jmo77011

Default Not exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish mist View Post
Shaw's has closed ALL of their stores in Connecticut. They also closed the only Shaw's in the north country of NH several years ago. And if anyone can tell me how Shaw's is keeping that ghost town of a store in Tilton open I would love to know.

Yup......not a big fan of Shaw's.
Well, they did close the store in Gorham, but there are still Shaw's stores in Lancaster, Littleton, and Woodsville. Up here, there is NO competition (aside from the small stores), and the prices are truly outrageous. What makes it even worse is that this area is so depressed, and people have no other choice. Talk about price gouging!

I am no fan of Shaw's, either, and I can honestly say that as soon as we move (24 days and counting), Shaw's will never see another dollar of mine.
Jmo77011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:57 AM   #40
CateP

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole View Post
They are building a Wegman's in Northboro, MA. It opens October 16. From my house in the Gilford/Laconia area-on the weekend without traffic-we can make in just shy of 2 hours. I know Wolfeboro will be longer but perhaps occasional trips to stock up. My husband I will be making monthly trips to stock up. Right now whenever we are in NJ, we bring coolers and stock up in Wegmans because the quality and price is better than the stores up here.

We also buy local and got to Beans and Greens, Moulton Farms and are in the Big Banana CSA for produce that is much better than the food stores up here.

Perhaps once you are settled, you can ride down with me and my husband for one of our monthly excursions. We are counting down the days and are going to the grand opening in October.
Hi Nicole-I saw that they are opening a store in MA. Odd location if you ask me. I would be very interested in making Wegman's excursions. I have to go to my company's office in Waltham occasionally so I could stop in. The thing I like about Wegman's is their prepared food and deli. Fabulous. Not sure it would be the best choice for "stocking up" as I am planning to buy in bulk and freeze. (Costco has best meats of all the whole sale clubs IMO)
CateP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:33 AM   #41
Happy Gourmand

Default Costco has best meats of all the whole sale clubs IMO

Agreed! I have switched some friends over from BJ's and Sam's to Costco for exactly this reason.
I picked up 2 USDA PRIME ribeye steaks at Costco a couple weeks ago. A bit pricy at about $15/lb but worth every cent! Best I ever had!
Old 06-09-2011, 08:57 AM   #42
BlackCatIslander

Default Wegman's will be coming to Burlington

I think that it was last Sunday's Globe that stated Wegman's will be building a very large store in Burlington near the mall. It is a great store with lots of variety but my understanding is that their pricing is higher than Market Basket.

On our trip to the lake we always try to stop at the Market Basket in Tilton. We are not consistent since we will pay more for the steak tips at the Whinning Butcher than we could at Pace's in Saugus. The taste is worth it.
BlackCatIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 10:14 AM   #43
Irish mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmo77011 View Post
Well, they did close the store in Gorham, but there are still Shaw's stores in Lancaster, Littleton, and Woodsville. Up here, there is NO competition (aside from the small stores), and the prices are truly outrageous. What makes it even worse is that this area is so depressed, and people have no other choice. Talk about price gouging!

I am no fan of Shaw's, either, and I can honestly say that as soon as we move (24 days and counting), Shaw's will never see another dollar of mine.
Good to know that Shaw's is still around up north cause there is not much else in way of competition, but I bet their prices are even worse up there.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:02 PM   #44
Greene's Basin Girl

I love Wegman's. I go to it when I visit family in upstate New York.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 05:38 AM   #45
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky1 View Post
I wish we could get a Costco at the lake. I do not know if they could make a go of it in the winter months though. I guess I never checked the prices all that much at Hannafords.

I walked out of Publix today in Florida. Did not buy anything at all. THERE A COSTCO ABOUT A MILE AWAY. Got a great chicken for $4.99, much larger and tastier than the $7.99 they get at Publix. I also got 12 Kiwi's and a huge package of fresh strawberries and large bunch of asparagas etc etc. I don't know of anywhere that can beat the prices at Costco. From now on I will try to stop in Nashua when I am in New England and stock up on my way to the lake. There is a Costco not far from where I stay in MA so am going to start going there.

Thanks to this wonderful Winnipesaukee Forum, I decided to take the price of food more seriously. I had not paid as much attention to it as I should have done. I can use the money I save for more important things. For one ..........the cottage needs a new roof and a coat of paint! So thanks for setting my straight on Hannafords. I did practically all of my shopping there whenever I was at the lake!!
Lucky, summer's awastin', time to get to the lake. See you at FF this year?
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 06:55 AM   #46
TOAD

We have been Costco members for 15 years or more now. No complaints. Quality and price of thier meats is great. We will miss Costco when we move up there.
"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.....Unknown....but attributed to George Washington
TOAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 06:26 PM   #47
Lucky1

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
Lucky, summer's awastin', time to get to the lake. See you at FF this year?
"From your lips to God's ears" on my chances of getting to the Forum Fest. I am doing a project that I hope to get done enough to allow me time at the lake and then back to the project. Keep your fingers crossed. I love it at the lake so much that I am fearful I will not get back to finish if I go too early. There are rules for when you can do work as there is no noise allowed from Nov 1 to May 1. So this is the window!!

Summer will officially start June 21st! Don't make me feel any worse than I already do!!!! I also have a daughter expecting around mid August out in CA and a Mom who is in assisted living in VA. Lots going on at this time for sure.

Hoping to see everyone at the Forum Fest and will do my best to try to attend! Thanks for asking.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:17 PM   #48
RLW

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Guy View Post
Driving by expensive stores to go to MB is supply and demand at it's best. It is up to each business owner to set the price point they think allows them to make the most money. Likewise it is up to us to decide how much and where to buy in order to keep as much money as we want to. Capitalism at it's best. The more folks who chose MB, the less profitable the Shaws and Hanaford model becomes.
I didn't know that MB Kubota tractor place sold groceries....
Old 06-15-2011, 09:43 AM   #49
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phantom Gourmand View Post
I picked up 2 USDA PRIME ribeye steaks at Costco a couple weeks ago. A bit pricy at about $15/lb but worth every cent! Best I ever had!
Wow, that sounds more than a little pricey. I buy ribeyes at Sams in Manchester and the price is just about half that.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:16 AM   #50
lakejen

Default Mb

Has anyone heard if there are any plans to put another supermarket in Gilford when Hannaford moves to its new location next to Lowes? Maybe it will be a Market Basket. Wouldn't that we awesome??
lakejen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 11:42 AM   #51
Happy Gourmand

Default Ribeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
Wow, that sounds more than a little pricey. I buy ribeyes at Sams in Manchester and the price is just about half that.

My guess is that you are buying USDA CHOICE....that's what they go for in the club stores....USDA PRIME is you get in the top restaurants....
Old 06-15-2011, 11:56 AM   #52
SIKSUKR

Quote:
My guess is that you are buying USDA CHOICE....that's what they go for in the club stores....USDA PRIME is you get in the top restaurants....
A little background on myself PG. My family owned a meat processing plant here for 30 years and I purchased meat for 15.
Its definately choice PG.I don't know why you would want to pay double price for prime ribeyes. The ribeye is a higher fat content cut of steak and is the reason I buy them. The flavor is always in the fat and the ribeye has more marbling than the rest. Prime cut for the most part means it has more marbling than choice. Age plays some part as the best flavors and texture are from cows 18-24 months in age. My point is the ribeye has plenty of marbling in the choice grade for me at half the price. For me its like paying twice the price for supreme gasoline, a little advantage but....you get the idea. If thats what you want and like then go for it.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:24 PM   #53
ishoot308

Thanked 4,937 Times in 1,913 Posts

Quote:
Just an fyi... You can get USDA Prime at Sam's, all you have to do is ask. Just a few weeks ago I bought a huge USDA Prime Rib Roast there for a lot less money that they wanted at the "Meat Shop" and it was the best prime rib I have ever eaten.

We buy most of our meats at Sams Club because they are so good and priced right. The Sam's in Manchester has an exceptional butcher department.

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 12:45 PM   #54
Happy Gourmand

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Just an fyi... You can get USDA Prime at Sam's, all you have to do is ask. Just a few weeks ago I bought a huge USDA Prime Rib Roast there for a lot less money that they wanted at the "Meat Shop" and it was the best prime rib I have ever eaten.

We buy most of our meats at Sams Club because they are so good and priced right. The Sam's in Manchester has an exceptional butcher department.

Dan
Yup..I've seen the PRIME at Sam's...got mine at Costco...I don't usually buy it, but it was a special occasion and they looked particularly good in the case....I usually buy Choice but decided to splurge..... marbling was particularly consistent...color and texture helped put me over the edge too.... meat prices are better than most places at either Sam's or Costco.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:16 AM   #55
spider22

We are coming up in a couple of weeks to stay in the weir area and usually do all our shopping at Shaw's right before we check in because it is close and do not want groceries sitting in a warm vehicle while we do other things. This year we are stopping at the Tanger outlet in Tilton and having lunch there. We will going from there straight to check in. Most of our purchases will be in the deli and produce dept. Will we save enough at Market Basket in Tilton and is their deli and produce dept good or are we better off just going to the Shaw's in Gilford like we normally do.
spider22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:43 AM   #56
IslandRadio

I much prefer the Market Basket in Tilton to any other store. There is a huge selection of everything, and the quality, particularly of the meat, is superior to Shaws.

And the prices seem very good, although I am not en expert in this area - typical male shopper
IslandRadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:11 PM   #57
Irish mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider22 View Post
We are coming up in a couple of weeks to stay in the weir area and usually do all our shopping at Shaw's right before we check in because it is close and do not want groceries sitting in a warm vehicle while we do other things. This year we are stopping at the Tanger outlet in Tilton and having lunch there. We will going from there straight to check in. Most of our purchases will be in the deli and produce dept. Will we save enough at Market Basket in Tilton and is their deli and produce dept good or are we better off just going to the Shaw's in Gilford like we normally do.
A bag of ice at Tilton Market Basket is 99 cents. That should do the trick for you with any cold items.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:52 AM   #58
SAMIAM

Prime beef is sure worth an occaisional splurge but you have to watch the grading in supermarkets.......many use the term "premium" or "guaranteed angus" and they can be anything.
USDA only recognizes Prime,choice,select,standard,commercial and 3 other lower grades (mostly for TV dinners and pet food) I would ask the meat manager what the grade is if you're buying on of those grades that they dream up as marketing tools.