Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Lake Issues > Boating Issues > Speed Limits
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 04-14-2009, 12:03 AM   #1
livefreeordie

Default Bad economy/speed limit=bad news for lake businesses

with the already bad economy and the new speed limit on the lake. I think the local restaurants and gas stations on the lake will def suffer huge losses this summer. I know lots of people that wont be going to dinner by boat any more do to the 25mph limit set at night. there is also a large group of people that are boycotting the lake do to this new law.

I hope the next two years fly by so we can get a more realistic law in place like speed limits in bays like Alton Bay, Paugus bay Ect. weekends only
Old 04-14-2009, 12:11 AM   #2
jst_4_kiks

I heard/believe that the law is only being active for the 2009 season only. After this year, it is going back to no speed limit on the lake. This year is a probationary/ trial time to see how affective the "law" is to boaters

PM with any questions about marine repair
Old 04-14-2009, 05:34 AM   #3
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by livefreeordie View Post
with the already bad economy and the new speed limit on the lake. I think the local restaurants and gas stations on the lake will def suffer huge losses this summer. I know lots of people that wont be going to dinner by boat any more do to the 25mph limit set at night. there is also a large group of people that are boycotting the lake do to this new law.

I hope the next two years fly by so we can get a more realistic law in place like speed limits in bays like Alton Bay, Paugus bay Ect. weekends only
Agree or disagree with the law, I haven't heard of anyone that will be boycotting going to dinner because they can't go faster than 25 mph at night. Even at that speed, which I will not exceed after dark anyway, the lake is only a 30-35 minute cruise from one end to the other.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:36 AM   #4
Dave R

While I'm against the speed limit, I suspect the general economy will have the biggest impact on the local lake economy, and the the speed limit will hardly have any affect. I always felt that the economic arguments against a speed limit were silly.

That said, I have a list of the businesses that support a speed limit, and do avoid spending my money with them.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:39 AM   #5
robmac

I for one would love that list so that my family can make sure we don't support those businesses.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2009, 07:50 AM   #6
Gatto Nero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
While I'm against the speed limit, I suspect the general economy will have the biggest impact on the local lake economy, and the the speed limit will hardly have any affect. I always felt that the economic arguments against a speed limit were silly.

That said, I have a list of the businesses that support a speed limit, and do avoid spending my money with them.
I too seriously doubt there are many, if any, folks that won't go out to dinner because they can't go over 25 mph at night. Yes, it's a silly law but that would be like biting off your nose to spite your face. What's the point?

I would, however, be interested in seeing that list, Dave. Can you you share it?
Old 04-14-2009, 08:01 AM   #7
livefreeordie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatto Nero View Post
I too seriously doubt there are many, if any, folks that won't go out to dinner because they can't go over 25 mph at night. Yes, it's a silly law but that would be like biting off your nose to spite your face. What's the point?

I would, however, be interested in seeing that list, Dave. Can you you share it?
I would like to see the list also, You have to remember some people have boats that will not plain at 25 making the trip at night unsafe and in our mind will make even more of an impact on erosion
Old 04-14-2009, 08:18 AM   #8
Woodsy

Talking

I probably won't be going out to dinner much by boat, and certainly not to Wolfeboro or Alton (I live in the Weirs). I know of several people who feel the same way...

The problem is @ 25MPH my 26' boat is in transition... its not on plane, the nose is high, stern is squatted and I am pushing some serious water causing a monster wake. The boat absolutely GUZZLES gas at this speed....

I ran some tests last year with GPS, and the SLOWEST I could go without wallowing and coming off plane was 28MPH (GPS)... but this required me to first accellerate up to 34 MPH (GPS), drop the trim tabs, then throttle off to get down to 28 MPH. I doubt I will get a ticket using this method, but technically I would be in violation. If the MP witness me accelerate, they might hit the blues before I get a chance to get the tabs dropped and back off the throttle...

I dont really mind a night time speed limit, but 25 is just too low. My thoughts on the daytime limit are well documented!

Might be time to invest in radar detector.....

Woodsy
Old 04-14-2009, 08:24 AM   #9
hazelnut

It seems that the problem with the law, especially the nighttime speed limit, is that it was written by NON-BOATERS who do not boat on Winnipesaukee. That is absolutely absolutely ludicrous. If anyone of the nimwits who wrote the law IS a boater than they are a very BAD boater that had no business writing the law in the first place. 25 MPH sounds so warm and fuzzy but for most boats including runabouts such as mine it is almost impossible to do 25 MPH without falling off plane and causing and enormous wake! So are we all to plow around the lake all night causing monster swells?

This is going to be an interesting summer. I am looking forward to all the observations by forum members this summer.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:35 AM   #10
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Unhappy Publicity

I don't think bad economy or the speed limit is the problem we are facing. I spent winters in CO and I spent the last 2 months on Lake Norman in NC. It is the publicity everyone is hearing that is destroying the reputation of the lake.

Last edited by BroadHopper; 04-14-2009 at 08:36 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-15-2009, 02:56 PM   #11
Loony Singer

Default unfortunate timing, no matter how you look at it

I'm a supporter of a speed limit on the Lake (maybe not exactly the bill that's in force now), and I have to say that it's really unfortunate that the speed limit has gone into effect during this severe economic downturn.

As this thread has already demonstrated, when the renewal of the bill is up for discussion, it's gonna be impossible to figure out how much of any downturn in business was due to the speed limit vs. other factors, especially the economy. The arguments will be heated on both sides, with no real factual basis...just lots of opinions, coming fast and furious.

Here's an idea...how about postponing the start of the two years of the current speed limit until the recession is over? I almost hate to suggest it, because I know that some folks will try to leverage this into killing the law altogether, but this might make sense all the way around.

Oh, and Dave...thanks for posting the listing of businesses that have supported the speed limit bill. I'll be sure to patronize them
Old 04-15-2009, 03:11 PM   #12
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loony Singer View Post
I'm a supporter of a speed limit on the Lake (maybe not exactly the bill that's in force now), and I have to say that it's really unfortunate that the speed limit has gone into effect during this severe economic downturn.

As this thread has already demonstrated, when the renewal of the bill is up for discussion, it's gonna be impossible to figure out how much of any downturn in business was due to the speed limit vs. other factors, especially the economy. The arguments will be heated on both sides, with no real factual basis...just lots of opinions, coming fast and furious.

Here's an idea...how about postponing the start of the two years of the current speed limit until the recession is over? I almost hate to suggest it, because I know that some folks will try to leverage this into killing the law altogether, but this might make sense all the way around.

Oh, and Dave...thanks for posting the listing of businesses that have supported the speed limit bill. I'll be sure to patronize them

Although I disagree with your position on the limits themselves you do make a good point that it will be difficult to determine the economic downturn with the other factors going on in the world. However I have to ask even if there was no economic downturn, How could we attribute any losses directly to the limits? I am an opponent of them, but there will be no concreate evidence to be used either way. It will always be a matter of opinion.

There are certain industries geared towards faster boats i.e. poker runs, gas etc. However all boats still burn gas and all boats are welcome in poker runs so again it will be speculative to attribute any loss directly due to the limits.

These could be offset by more cruisers on the lake for example...

I am not condoning the limits at all. I think they will hurt a whole lot more then they will help, however I don't know if there will be an actual way to meter this.

My only thought is if the state would release how many go fast boats i.e. certain length, certain H.P. were registered this year opposed to past years. This again though could stem back to the overall economy one could argue.

To break it down I think that the discussion is valid and worth while because it keeps people thinking and trys to improve the lakes region the way we see fit. The only way we will be able to determine the impact will be from discussing what we have personally seen and heard. Through those observations we are free to form our own opinions and voice them come 2011.

So overall how ever you feel on the limits it is good to point out anything or anyone you have seen that has changed their plans due to them.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:37 PM   #13
secondcurve

OCDACTIVE:

You don't put forth a very convincing argument that the speed limit will negatively impact the economy in a meaningful way for one simple reason, by your own admission you just purchased a go fast boat with full knowledge that there is a speed limit.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDACTIVE View Post
Although I disagree with your position on the limits themselves you do make a good point that it will be difficult to determine the economic downturn with the other factors going on in the world. However I have to ask even if there was no economic downturn, How could we attribute any losses directly to the limits? I am an opponent of them, but there will be no concreate evidence to be used either way. It will always be a matter of opinion.

There are certain industries geared towards faster boats i.e. poker runs, gas etc. However all boats still burn gas and all boats are welcome in poker runs so again it will be speculative to attribute any loss directly due to the limits.

These could be offset by more cruisers on the lake for example...

I am not condoning the limits at all. I think they will hurt a whole lot more then they will help, however I don't know if there will be an actual way to meter this.

My only thought is if the state would release how many go fast boats i.e. certain length, certain H.P. were registered this year opposed to past years. This again though could stem back to the overall economy one could argue.

To break it down I think that the discussion is valid and worth while because it keeps people thinking and trys to improve the lakes region the way we see fit. The only way we will be able to determine the impact will be from discussing what we have personally seen and heard. Through those observations we are free to form our own opinions and voice them come 2011.

So overall how ever you feel on the limits it is good to point out anything or anyone you have seen that has changed their plans due to them.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:48 PM   #14
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve View Post
OCDACTIVE:

You don't put forth a very convincing argument that the speed limit will negatively impact the economy in a meaningful way for one simple reason, by your own admission you just purchased a go fast boat with full knowledge that there is a speed limit.......
That is true I bought a go fast boat even though there are speed limits.... However, I will not be using it at the lake near as much as I would have. I would have left her at the dock year round boosting economy at many gas pumps and with a 100 gallon tank that is a lot of $$$. Plus I would want to go to as many places on the lake as I could with this being her first year. Now I plan to keep her in my driveway so I can go out of Portsmouth and down to Naragansett Bay taking revenue I would have spent in the lakes region totally out of state which is an absolute shame in my opinion. I have dreamed my whole life of having a boat like I just bought and to run her on the place I know blind folded, but now I either can just get off plain or be looking over my shouldar all the time.

Either way the lakes region will be adversely effected as well as the state of NH because I will be leaving half the time.

I mentioned earlier that it will be very difficult to measure the actual impact and all we can do is share our plans. Well chaulk me up as money lost, for I am going elsewhere the majority of the time directly due to the limits and NOT due the overall economy for I have decided not to participate in the slowdown.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:06 PM   #15
Turtle Boy

Quote:
Either way the lakes region will be adversely effected as well as the state of NH because I will be leaving half the time.
Not necessarily so. As has been pointed out before, many who have left the lake precisely because of the GFBL's may find the lake more enjoyable and therefore return. I myself plan to boat more, and especially on weekends. The net overall economic impact might well be quite positive in spite of your departure.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:10 PM   #16
Irrigation Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle Boy View Post

Not necessarily so. As has been pointed out before, many who have left the lake precisely because of the GFBL's may find the lake more enjoyable and therefore return. I myself plan to boat more, and especially on weekends. The net overall economic impact might well be quite positive in spite of your departure.
Are you going to boat more because there will be less boats in general or because you were previously afraid of the big fast boats wizzing around in all those congested area's? I am being facetious because I never saw any GFBL's being bullies while my wife isn't a big fan of congestion and boats going all directions. The two are entirely different.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:16 PM   #17
OCDACTIVE

Quote:

You may be right and are entitled to your opinion.. There will be no way to really tell.. But I can say for certain that I am someone who would most definately be contributing to the economy of the area and now will not be. Probably 70% less then what I would have.

You will need probably two or three smaller boats to make up for that, realatively speaking. This would cause more congestion and perhaps cause more people not to go.

A few things I know about the GFB and their owners: Normally (there are always exceptions to the rule with any group) but Normally we only go fast when it is safe to do so, we normally know what the hell we are doing in a boat, and usually have to spend more to do it.

So overall I feel the economy and lake itself will suffer.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:32 PM   #18
Turtle Boy

Quote:
But I can say for certain that I am someone who would most definately be contributing to the economy of the area and now will not be. Probably 70% less then what I would have.

You will need probably two or three smaller boats to make up for that, realatively speaking. This would cause more congestion and perhaps cause more people not to go.

So overall I feel the economy and lake itself will suffer.
Again not necessarily so. (hopefully) you don't eat and drink 3 times as much as the small boater when you go out to eat. Furthermore,increased tourism in the region (and not just boating) brings money to many businesses not precisely on the shoreline of Winni. Could be a win/win for the lake's region.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:38 PM   #19
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Again not necessarily so. (hopefully) you don't eat and drink 3 times as much as the small boater when you go out to eat. Furthermore,increased tourism in the region (and not just boating) brings money to many businesses not precisely on the shoreline of Winni. Could be a win/win for the lake's region.

True.... Only time will tell but I think your conclusions are a little too hopefull.

Smaller boats use less fuel. Less expensive to registar and carry less people (normally)

Canoes and Kayaks don't normally go to lunch as a group.

We can only wait and guess what may happen with the smaller groups you mention. But I can speak for myself as well as many other friends who have GFB and the lake is not going to be on their priority list.

I love the lake so I will definately be there some of the time because my family is there.. But I know I would have spent a whole lot more then I will be which hurts the economy.

I will not guess or speculate as to what other "groups" of individuals may or may not do. I just know what I and my friends will do and that is contribute to economys elsewhere unfortunately.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:39 PM   #20
hazelnut

Thumbs up

OCDACTIVE you have done a wonderful job presenting very valid points in this forum without dismissing anyone's points as pathetic or ridiculous etc. I applaud your methods of posting rational clear concise information. Everyone is indeed entitled to their opinions and it is clear that you have been borderline ridiculed by some members of the forum yet you have remained steadfast and consistent in your demeanor. I truly applaud you for that. Regardless of my absolute agreement on your positions I take offense to those who dismiss your/our concerns with regard to how we might enjoy our vessels during the day and at night. Mind you I am not an owner of a craft that could even carry your wake. However I am told I should not even go out at night because I want to do 35-40MPH. Oh well. I hope our paths cross someday this summer and we'll chat it up. Good luck with the new boat.
Old 04-16-2009, 05:44 AM   #21
VitaBene

Thanked 1,602 Times in 822 Posts
Default We will be out there

Regardless of speed limits (or no speed limits), we will be out on the lake for our usual 45-50 engine hours and countless floating hours. I hope all of you enjoy the upcoming boating season as much as my family and friends do!
Old 04-15-2009, 09:14 PM   #22
brk-lnt

Quote:

Your theories may prove to be true, but we'll never really know. What you're describing would happen over a period of 5-7 years. Kayakers and timid boaters aren't going to just come out of the woodwork this year because the relatively small number of fast boats impacted by the new laws are cutting back on their hours in Winni.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:24 PM   #23
OCDACTIVE

Quote:

Also to clairify, those who I thought would return to the lake were canoers and kayakers.. (for the record I like to do both).. but I do not recall ever sinking 3 bills in the gas tank of one or taking family and friends to lunch at the naswa in one either..

Just making a point...

Economeys of scale.... It will take a lot more of them to make up for a few GFBs...
Old 04-15-2009, 03:43 PM   #24
Boater

Quote:
when the renewal of the bill is up for discussion, it's gonna be impossible to figure out how much of any downturn in business was due to the speed limit vs. other factors, especially the economy.
When this law is reconsidered for 2011 and beyond economic impact should not be a consideration. The only consideration should be whether it achieved its intended purpose of making the lake safer for small boats and others using the lake. I suspect that it won't make a big difference since the lake is already very safe but remember that NH now has an extremely Liberal legislature that thinks regulating every aspect of your lives is a good thing.

In the current economic, energy and environmental climate I personally don't understand why anyone would buy a huge, noisy, high-speed, gas-guzzling boat, especially if they know about the 45 MPH speed limit. This is as crazy as the soccer moms using their enormous Excursions and Escalades to do errands. I don't want to outlaw them, but what are these people thinking?
Old 04-16-2009, 06:42 AM   #25
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boater View Post

In the current economic, energy and environmental climate I personally don't understand why anyone would buy a huge, noisy, high-speed, gas-guzzling boat, especially if they know about the 45 MPH speed limit. This is as crazy as the soccer moms using their enormous Excursions and Escalades to do errands. I don't want to outlaw them, but what are these people thinking?
I feel this is more of an opinion that would be in the "closed section" and really has no bearing on the discussion at hand. More over I feel it is directed to raise people apprehensions that may take this thead down the wrong path.

How people want to spend there money is totally up to them. Just because they purchase a boat that is outside of what you deem as realistic in todays economy doesn't mean it isn't something someone else can not afford. Also just because there is a limit in NH does not mean there is one up and down the east coast where I personally plan on using mine.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:19 AM   #26
Happy Gourmand

Default Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

I am neither a proponent nor an opponent of the speed limit law on the lake. I would have rather seen a NOISE limit rather than a speed limit introduced and enforced. I know, I know, there IS already a noise limit, I guess that's why I can hear some boats from Eagle Island all the way to the No Wake Zone in Meredith, and then ALL the way back. But that's another issue.
As far as the speed limit effect on the ecomomy around the lake, I think after a very brief adjustment period, if any, it will thrive as usual. For every go-fast boat owner who will opt to launch in the ocean, ( where some will argue that's where they belong ) I predict that at least one additional GSBQ (Go Slow Be Quiet ) boat will launch in the lake. I hardly believe that any lake accessed restaurant will fold or be negatively impacted as a result of a lower speed limit at night.
It wasn't that long ago that the heated discussion of the day was the smoking ban in restaurants and bars. Net effect of that law was that more folks found that going to a restaurant or bar to be a more pleasurable experience.
Could the same thing happen as a result of the speed limits on the lake?
Old 04-16-2009, 07:32 AM   #27
fatlazyless

About a month ago, the Citizen had an article about the Marine Patrol's new, public information signs designed to inform the boating public about 'you know what' on Lake Winnipesaukee. Apparently, the MP will be nailing up some public dock signs, designed to let the boating public learn and understand the new boating law.

As I recall, at the time of the article one month ago, the signs were still on the drawing board. I believe the state has its own sign shop in Concord.

Winnipesaukee ice-out is here, so where are all the new signs? Us boaters want to be educated!
Old 04-16-2009, 07:55 AM   #28
woodswalk

Bear in mind, many people come to the Lakes Region for things other than boating. Maybe DRED has a chart on this?
Old 04-16-2009, 08:11 AM   #29
sa meredith

Default Question....

Just a question that seems appropriate to ask at this time.
Not looking to start trouble, or stir the pot. This is really just a question I would like answered by someone who knows more than I.

I've only been boating for a 4 or 5 years, but get out often enough, and know the lake pretty good. While I'm not usually in a rush, when heading from Meredith over to Wolfboro, I'll push the boat to it's limit, which is 45/48 MPH.
And this seems like a decent speed. My question: Even at 35/40 MPH, things seem to be moving pretty quickly...how can this possibly be a safe speed at night? I can't imagine...unless it is a clear, clear night, under a full moon....but even then. At 35 MPH, at night, couldn't you come up on something unexpected too quickly to make a correction?
I'd be curious to hear from night boaters. Do you folks actually travel at 35/40(pre-speed limit) under the cover of darkness...and is it truly safe?
Maybe my experience level is not what it should be, which is why it seems excessive.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:19 AM   #30
woodswalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa meredith View Post
I can't imagine...unless it is a clear, clear night, under a full moon....but even then. At 35 MPH, at night, couldn't you come up on something unexpected too quickly to make a correction?.
Absolutely. even something partially submerged.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:37 AM   #31
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa meredith View Post
Do you folks actually travel at 35/40(pre-speed limit) under the cover of darkness...and is it truly safe?
Maybe my experience level is not what it should be, which is why it seems excessive.
I normally do not, but on full moon nights, with clear skies, it is easy and safe to go 35+ with excellent visibility. Really depends on how much light is available. On pitch-black nights, 25 would be ludicrous. I can remember cruising slowly across Sebago Lake in Maine one night when it was clouldy and moonless. We literally could not see anything that was not lit up by humans. I kept it to idle speed and used GPS/compass to navigate to my overnight anchorage. When I got to the anchorage (a waypoint on the GPS), I was <300 feet from shore (a nice beach) and could not see it at all.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:38 AM   #32
Woodsy

I think your going to see a very quiet (pun intended) numbers wise boating season...

The economy is in shambles, unemployment is at levels not seen since the early 80's and the government is printing & spending money faster than the ink can dry. Have we bottomed out yet? We might be getting close to the bottom, but we are not there yet.... then we are gonna bounce and have the inflation issue to deal with.... Prime @ 9.5%? Its coming!

While the few, and I mean FEW big Hi-Po boats that wont be on the lake won't be missed by the general public. You can bet they will be missed by some of the businesses on the lake. In this economy every $$ counts, even more so if your livelyhood depends on a a seasonal business.

Go ask the Naswa if they are going to miss the OuterLimits Factory crew this summer... 10+ guys, 5 rooms, and god only knows how much money they spend on food & drink entertaining thier clients.... just a small sample, but those guys came up 2-3 weekends a summer.

It was touted during the GREAT SPEED LIMIT DEBATE and most recently by others in this thread, that the lack of Hi-Perf boats would make the lake safer and thus more Average Joe family boaters would be more likely to visit Lake Winni. They might have had a valid point except the economy took a nosedive...

Average Joe the family boater is worried... worried about his job, worried about his house, worried about taxes, worried about paying his bills, worried about the price of gas. Luxuries like summers on the lake are being shortened to weekends or daytrips and in some cases tossed out all together.

Where is the Average Joe going to put his boat in the water? Park his trailer? Ames Farm is closed because of a neighbor dispute, there is no public launch in Laconia, You need to be a resident of Gilford to use Glendale, and Meredith has a very small ramp and charges a fee...

and FLL was right on with the weather... bad economy and bad weather would be a disaster for the seasonal business....

Woodsy

PS: I cant believe i just agreed with FLL on something! I better go get a $1 McChicken!
Old 04-16-2009, 11:46 AM   #33
NoRegrets

Wink Safe night boating

Originally Posted by sa meredith
Do you folks actually travel at 35/40(pre-speed limit) under the cover of darkness...and is it truly safe?

IN response to the saftey of night boating.... Yes you can safely navigate at night at speed. We have a very accurate GPS and radar that we use anytime we boat. One night we come to a dead stop when the radar showed a "target" that we cound not see with our eyes. We shined the search light and saw a flock of ducks (not wearing the correct bathing caps). We have a double check process before we bring the boat up to speed. One will keep a visual watch and the other will watch the equipment. With the right state of mind and focus you can definitely navagate safely at speed in the dark. I would not trust this approach during fog or rain. You need to be proficient with the equipment to understand the limitations. I would not trust only one set of eyes.

Personal perspective: Our boat travels well at 28 MPH and hits 45 at WOT. This is going to be our 10 th season on the lake. We have not come in contact with rocks nor come close to an incident. We ahve traveled the lake many nights in all conditions. In spite of the many spectacular stories or accidents described in this great forum we enjoy all the diverse machinery fast or slow that navigate the lake. There is still enough lake to find crouds or seclusion. I don't get wigged out when a "rookie" buzzes closer than 150 feet as long as I see they are in control of their boat. Attitude seems to be the greatest restriction to the enjoyment the area offers. We are not rich nor are we poor. We find the weekends on the Lake to be the best "investment" in mental health that we can control and will continue until some other group of self serving ill-informed polititions take away personal choice and freedom.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:37 PM   #34
nightrider

I believe a much more insidious component to the economy, as it pertains to boating, is ethanol in the gasoline. This stuff will wreak havoc on boats. A buddy of mine bought a NEW boat last year and althought Mercruiser states it is safe to use ethanol gasoline in the engine, the boat manufacturer WILL VOID the warranty for the fuel system ie; gas tank, if ethanol fuel is used in the boat. I hope there are marinas on the lake that will sell non-ethanol gas. If not, my 1986 wellcraft will be as useless as you-know-what on a bull, without a retrofit that will be more costly than the value of my boat. For those who think Marine Stabil will prevent these problems.......NOT! Marine Stabil will prevent phase separation. It will do nothing to prevent the ethanol from digesting your fuel system.
Old 04-16-2009, 01:45 PM   #35
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightrider View Post
I I hope there are marinas on the lake that will sell non-ethanol gas. If not, my 1986 wellcraft will be as useless as you-know-what on a bull, without a retrofit that will be more costly than the value of my boat.
I take it you have a fiberglass gas tank? If so, I think you are truly hosed regarding fuel supply. That sucks.
Old 04-16-2009, 02:05 PM   #36
SIKSUKR

Default Me too Woodsy!

I'm not going to get into the SL debate but I will say that FLL has spoken to the biggest factor for the lakes region money machine. #1 is the weather. #2 is the economy. Even being very vocal against the SL, I believe the economic angle is way down the list.
Old 04-16-2009, 01:51 PM   #37
Wolfeboro_Baja

nightrider, ethanol in marina fuels has been discussed in another thread. I know Channel Marine was selling ValvTect Marine Fuel last year. I went to the ValvTect website and they had a locator to find all dealers selling their product. According to their website, Channel Marine, West Alton Marina (West Alton) and Lanes End Marina (Melvin Village) are all selling ValvTect fuel on Winnipesaukee. I have no idea what the price differential is between their fuel and regular ethanol-laced fuel, either at a marina or on the street.

Here's the Valvtect website, http://www.valvtect.com/.

There is also a ValvTect dealer on Ossipee Lake at Ossipee Lake Marina.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:55 AM   #38
nightrider

Default ethanol

WB, In reading the info on VT's web site, their fuel appears to be an additive supplanted mixture, still starting off with ethanol based gasoline, mayby I'm wrong but that looks to be what they are saying.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:45 AM   #39
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Wink Accurate GPS?

I aggree with NoRegrets on all his points. However I have not found an accurate GPS. I have seen a number of GPS that are off as much as 300 feet. I've been on the lake for 50 years and I see more 'Captain Boneheads' than I want. I thought the boater's safety course will reduce this number.
On the intercoastal, I have very good luck in using the combination of lorance and GPS. Lorance is far more accurate than GPS. Radar and the new AIS is a godsend when visibility is poor or does nor exist.

Thank you NoRegrets. You are speaking from experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRegrets View Post

IN response to the saftey of night boating.... Yes you can safely navigate at night at speed. We have a very accurate GPS and radar that we use anytime we boat. One night we come to a dead stop when the radar showed a "target" that we cound not see with our eyes. We shined the search light and saw a flock of ducks (not wearing the correct bathing caps). We have a double check process before we bring the boat up to speed. One will keep a visual watch and the other will watch the equipment. With the right state of mind and focus you can definitely navagate safely at speed in the dark. I would not trust this approach during fog or rain. You need to be proficient with the equipment to understand the limitations. I would not trust only one set of eyes.

Personal perspective: Our boat travels well at 28 MPH and hits 45 at WOT. This is going to be our 10 th season on the lake. We have not come in contact with rocks nor come close to an incident. We ahve traveled the lake many nights in all conditions. In spite of the many spectacular stories or accidents described in this great forum we enjoy all the diverse machinery fast or slow that navigate the lake. There is still enough lake to find crouds or seclusion. I don't get wigged out when a "rookie" buzzes closer than 150 feet as long as I see they are in control of their boat. Attitude seems to be the greatest restriction to the enjoyment the area offers. We are not rich nor are we poor. We find the weekends on the Lake to be the best "investment" in mental health that we can control and will continue until some other group of self serving ill-informed polititions take away personal choice and freedom.

Last edited by BroadHopper; 04-17-2009 at 10:48 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-19-2009, 06:22 AM   #40
Mink Islander

Default What am I missing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
I aggree with NoRegrets on all his points. However I have not found an accurate GPS. I have seen a number of GPS that are off as much as 300 feet. I've been on the lake for 50 years and I see more 'Captain Boneheads' than I want. I thought the boater's safety course will reduce this number.
On the intercoastal, I have very good luck in using the combination of lorance and GPS. Lorance is far more accurate than GPS. Radar and the new AIS is a godsend when visibility is poor or does nor exist.

Thank you NoRegrets. You are speaking from experience.
Isn't Lowrance a brand of GPS? What is Lorance?
Old 04-19-2009, 06:37 AM   #41
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink Islander View Post
Isn't Lowrance a brand of GPS? What is Lorance?
I am assuming he is talking about Loran-C (Long Range Aid to Navigation). This was the predecessor to GPS technology. Growing up on the commercial party boats on the ocean in Hampton this was the technology that was used to plot fishing spots, or direction in general. No mapping like GPS, just coordinates.
Old 04-18-2009, 08:52 PM   #42
swnoel

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRegrets View Post

I'm thrilled to hear your such an accomplished mariner and enjoy the lake as much as I, but, I think you'll find the majority of the boats on the lake do not have radar, we don't all operate large boats.

As an avid fisherman who spends countless hours fishing on the lake, I can assure you, that there is no loss of morons that will buzz you, WOT, within casting distance between boats.

One morning, just outside Wolfeboro Bay, at about 8 AM , we had a caravan of 6-7 cigarette boats pass within 100' of us trolling 200-300 yards off shore.

There was absolutely no reason those boats had to be within 400 yards of us , as we were not even close to the boating lane.

Those operators had absolutely no respect for anyone and I believe did it on purpose , I only wished the MP could of witnessed this spectacle.

While maybe you could care less about what I do, why shouldn't I be able to safely enjoy the lake, as well as everyone else.

While I do not condemn all boaters on the lake, there are a number that shouldn't come back and hopefully they won't , they won't be a loss or missed, they ruin it for all.

Unfortunately, this law is undoubtabley in response to many complaints from boaters and non boaters, in regards to at least a small number of jerks.

I don't believe for one second, that this law will destroy business around the lake, the destuction of the National Economy will be the culprit.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:23 AM   #43
Dave R

Quote:

Thank Winnfabs, they put it together. I'm just re-posting it.
Old 04-20-2009, 12:05 PM   #44
northeastelectric

Default Speed Limits on lakes!!!!!!!

I don't want you to take this the wrong way but: Although we also have motorized boats(A Couple)and we like to speed around like everyone else(We at least slowdown for smaller boats, its common courtesy), I also have a canoe and a kayak (Which also have long histories on the lake-Longer history than motor boats come to think about it)and I can tell you that there definitely SHOULD be speed limits on certain areas of the lakes, I don't know how many times we have been out there in one of the smaller boats or canoes and some A-HOLE in a big cabin cruiser leaving a 3-4 foot wake blows by us at top speed many times almost capsizing us because they don't have any respect for the other people on the lake in smaller boats, even when near shore, Talk about road rage!!! you have no idea!!! My young nephew was up with us a few summers back on one of the occasions when this has happened and it scared him so bad he made us take him to shore and hasn't wanted to go out since, so yeah there should be speed limits in certain areas and if I ever meet up with one of these morons at the boat ramp then they may wish the hell they had slowed down instead of laughing about swamping some canoe who has just as much right to be out there on the lake as they do, if you don't believe me then try going out there in a canoe sometime and you may feel differently about the speed limits. Not all boaters are that way but there enough idiots out there to make up for the good people. COMMON SENSE GOES A LONG WAY.....One idiot even told me when I caught up to him and confronted him that he was second generation on the lake so that gave him the right to do whatever he wanted,...(Well my family has been in New England since 1622 but that doesn't give me more rights than anyone else,just the same rights).D.G.-Northeast Electric
Quote:

Old 04-20-2009, 12:11 PM   #45
northeastelectric

Default P.s.

And yes you are right, I dont know what the economy has to do with speed limits, common sense boater safety should dictate the speed limits. & we have no problem with speeding around in boats, we just wish people would slow down a little when approaching smaller watercraft.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:33 PM   #46
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by northeastelectric View Post
And yes you are right, I dont know what the economy has to do with speed limits, common sense boater safety should dictate the speed limits. & we have no problem with speeding around in boats, we just wish people would slow down a little when approaching smaller watercraft.
I too wish people would use a little common sense. When I'm on plane and I encounter smaller vessels, I make very obvious course adjustments to make it patently obvious that I see the other vessels (I do this wih all vessels when I'm the give way boat), give them a wide berth, and often speed up to minimize my wake. Hopefully the pictures below will help visualize my decision to speed up in these situations.

My boat's wake at 45-50 MPH

My boat's wake at 30-35 MPH

My boat's wake at 15-20 MPH
Old 04-20-2009, 02:15 PM   #47
Resident 2B

Considering the economy and the SL rules, I will be boating more this year during the day, but less at night.

I'm retired and lucky to be on a fixed (non-government ) pension. Since gas prices will be a lot lower this year than they were last year, I'll most likely boat 20% to 30% more overall.

As far as night time boating, I will take short trips in displacement mode, but I can't get on plane under 25 MPH without a big wake due to transition, even with tabs down, so long distance night time trips are now effectively banded for me.

If gas spikes upward, my boating will spike downward.

R2B
Old 04-20-2009, 02:24 PM   #48
OCDACTIVE

Hey Dave R. Totally off topic but love the pics. Getting me excited for this coming year!!! Your boat looks like it rides very well.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:23 AM   #49
Dave R

Quote:
Hey Dave R. Totally off topic but love the pics. Getting me excited for this coming year!!! Your boat looks like it rides very well.
Thanks! It does ride well, IMO, for a 25 foot boat. I really like the 24 degree deadrise, and the ability to stay on plane comfortably at well under 25 MPH. Nice combination for rough days. There is a downside though, when I need to go somewhere less than 39" deep the deep V design and tail-heavy attititude at displacement speeds puts the props down in the mud and rocks. Fortunately U-joints are only 11 bucks each and easy to swap, I have no qualms about trimming way up at idle speed and changing U-joints every couple of years.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:28 PM   #50
VtSteve

Gosh darn it Dave, there ya go again! Trying to make a point with facts, and now even pictures. But aside from your boat, those big cabin cruisers are a horror story when plowing. I usually deliberate for a couple of minutes before deciding how to take the wake, or just get the heck out of there.

I doubt any conclusions can be drawn from this summer. The economy is bad, life is different for many people. The "intent" of the law is well known in private circles, and they are probably spot on. However, there are many GF boats over on Lake George, where they strictly enforce the laws, and know exactly who their targets are. Maybe the point being, the boaters love the lake more than their boat's performance? I have no idea really.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:29 AM   #51
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtSteve View Post
Gosh darn it Dave, there ya go again! Trying to make a point with facts, and now even pictures. But aside from your boat, those big cabin cruisers are a horror story when plowing. I usually deliberate for a couple of minutes before deciding how to take the wake, or just get the heck out of there.

There's a couple of big (38 to 42 feet would be my guess) Regal cruisers on the lake that kick up absolutely huge and steep wakes at planing speed. They are much worse than the typical Carver or Silverton plowing wake. When I see them coming, I adjust my course and speed drastically, and call out a warning for everyone on board. The Regal boats are both dark colored and easy to spot from a distance. Their wakes are on par with the Sophie C and Doris E, I imagine you remember those...
Old 04-21-2009, 02:51 PM   #52
VtSteve

Quote:
There's a couple of big (38 to 42 feet would be my guess) Regal cruisers on the lake that kick up absolutely huge and steep wakes at planing speed. They are much worse than the typical Carver or Silverton plowing wake. When I see them coming, I adjust my course and speed drastically, and call out a warning for everyone on board. The Regal boats are both dark colored and easy to spot from a distance. Their wakes are on par with the Sophie C and Doris E, I imagine you remember those...
I sure do, even before the hull modifications over the years. I used to love to ski over them as fast as the skipper would go Those were the days, knees that worked.

But a 24 degree vee, Oh to have those back in my arsenal.
Old 04-22-2009, 05:33 AM   #53
ApS

Cool Disclosures, please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by swnoel View Post
"...I'm thrilled to hear you're such an accomplished mariner and enjoy the lake as much as I..."
Won't 100% of Winnipesaukee boaters tell you they are "above average" boaters?

Quote:
"...I don't believe for one second that this law will destroy business around the lake, the destruction of the National Economy will be the culprit..."
I agree: It is premature to discuss it a week after Ice-Out—and still has a two-year sunset provision within which to study that it had any effect at all!

Quote:
"...we don't all operate large boats...why shouldn't I be able to safely enjoy the lake, as well as everyone else...?"
I'd like to know that answer as well.

Quote:
"...Hopefully the pictures below will help visualize my decision to speed up in these situations..."

My boat's wake at 45-50 MPH
When I take a seasonal photograph of Lake Winnipesaukee, there are invariably mountains, intense residential development and at least one or more watercraft in the frame.

Is your photo a fair representation of a Lake Winnipesaukee boating environment?

Fess-up...you know the rules here about "other" bodies of water.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:39 AM   #54
jeffk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second View Post
... When I take a seasonal photograph of Lake Winnipesaukee, there are invariably mountains, intense residential development and at least one or more watercraft in the frame.

Is your photo a fair representation of a Lake Winnipesaukee boating environment?

Huh???

Are you stating that because you insinuate that the picture might not have been taken on Winnipesaukee that it is not a valid example of what it is claimed to be, that higher speeds generally produce smaller wake?

This thread is so far afield at this point that a picture of someone golfing on the moon would be a legit addition to the argument. We posted pictures of Spock on another thread and I don't think there have been any Vulcans on Lake Winnipesaukee either.

This thread has become tedious. The original purpose to discuss the impact on the economy was a thin shield over discussing the speed limit again, a pointless exercise right now. No one can possibly predict how business will be this summer and even at the end of the year will not be able to tell what if any the speed limit contributed to the final effect. We all had our fun speculating.

This turkey is done.

Don, you suggested that you had your finger on the close button. I vote for you to press it.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:52 AM   #55
OCDACTIVE

Again I disagree on the close. I think many valid points have been discussed. There have been those who have strayed off course a bit (no pun intended ) but we have done well on keeping them to the discussion of the economy in relation to SL's.

Whether anyone agrees that the economy will be effected or not it is up to them if they want to discuss it. I personally feel it definately will be but it will be very hard to calculate. But I think people have the right to voice their own opinions on the matter.

Personally I feel that there are many people who do not want to see how it actually will effect the economy because it will hurt there own agenda come 2 years from now. Having people aware of the situation due to discussions like this only helps determine the outcome. just my 2 cents.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:26 AM   #56
Mee-n-Mac

Lightbulb OK try this ....

Quote:
Personally I feel that there are many people who do not want to see how it actually will effect the economy because it will hurt there own agenda come 2 years from now. Having people aware of the situation due to discussions like this only helps determine the outcome. just my 2 cents.
So I'd ask everyone to pretend they had perfect info of whatever type they thought needed. How would "you" go about determining the effect ? What would you look at, measure ? How would you decide what's attributable to the SL and what's due to other causes ?
Old 04-22-2009, 10:03 AM   #57
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mee-n-Mac View Post
So I'd ask everyone to pretend they had perfect info of whatever type they thought needed. How would "you" go about determining the effect ? What would you look at, measure ? How would you decide what's attributable to the SL and what's due to other causes ?
First off let me say GREAT POST.. getting back to the heart of conversation.

Determining the effect will be very difficult, as I have stated before, because the data can not be directed directly at the speed limits. What I mean is how do we determine or estimate the lost revenue from a go fast boater that does not come to the lakes region. I don't think any data was collected before the SL so it is hard to shape a comparrison.

What I do know and can directly attribute to the SL is those people who have posted here and on other sites how they will not be coming to the lake this year due to the SL. I have spoken with at least a dozen friends who had enjoyed the lake, are not hurting $ wise, and now will be spending their hard earned dollars elsewhere.

What I have also noticed is that many people say this will be offset by the "many paddlers" who had felt unsafe and now will visit the lake. However, I have not seen or heard from this "large group" of individuals who have avoided the lake all these years and now will be coming.

But to draw a specific conclusion it will be very hard to differentiate between the down economy and the SLs.

One thing for certain is that although it may not be a huge loss in comparrison to the entire economy it will just be another straw that may break the camels back. In my own opinion adding insult to injury.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:08 AM   #58
OCDACTIVE

Sorry to call you out specifically, but sa meredith and jeffk, it seems you guys are the only ones not enjoying the thread. May I suggest just not participating?

Totally your right to however.. Happy to have you. I just think it is everyones right to voice their thoughts whether you agree with them or not.

I think that since the SL's just took place, discussing if people have changed their plans due to them is a direct effect on the economy. By discussing these plans is the only way we will know if it is effecting the lakes region.

I just don't know what people are trying to hide. Flame away
Old 04-22-2009, 10:23 AM   #59
Skip

Smile Back to the economic factor....

There is no doubt in my mind that the factors contributing to a decline in boating last year, not only on Winni, but boating in general in New Hampshire were the economy, fuel prices and the weather.

This year gas prices have dropped significantly, and we don't know what the weather will bring. But anyone that doesn't think the economy is the greatest detriment to boating in general and tourism specifically is just ignoring the obvious.

The speed limit issue? While we play insider baseball here another fact is it just simply doesn't apply to most folks, and I bet a lot of the transient boating population gives it little thought, as with most boating regulations.

Will there be some folks that vote with their feet this year? Perhaps. But I am looking at the other sign of the coin. I currently have a 20 footer and boat with several friends over at Ossipee in the same length range. None of us have ventured over to Winni for several years as we are only up on weekends and have not wanted to deal with the foolishness.

But guess what. We decided this off season that we are all going to make a number of day trips over to Winni, hoping that some of you are right. Less high speed or huge wake producing traffic will make a much more pleasant experience for us. And yes, maybe one family on a 20 footer won't drop as much cash as a boatload in a GF boat, but if several families and smaller craft take the footprint of one departing "big spender" I think the net amount spent quickly balances out.

Just my thoughts.

In closing I also understand JeffK and others concerns about this thread. I am very close but not yet ready to cast my vote for Don for closure because it is obvious to me that there are several posters here with very thinly veiled objectives. Maybe the dark side of me is waiting to say "I told you so".....

You can't fool and old fool.....
Old 04-22-2009, 11:22 AM   #60
sunset on the dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
But guess what. We decided this off season that we are all going to make a number of day trips over to Winni, hoping that some of you are right. Less high speed or huge wake producing traffic will make a much more pleasant experience for us. And yes, maybe one family on a 20 footer won't drop as much cash as a boatload in a GF boat, but if several families and smaller craft take the footprint of one departing "big spender" I think the net amount spent quickly balances out.
Well said. We have heard from several posters about how much they spend in relation to their performance boats, i.e. gasoline, shoreside restaurants, etc.,and how kayakers/others would never spend as much. In reality, we all choose to spend our money in different ways. I may spend 5% of what a GFBL spends on gas and shoreside restaurants, yet I have more money left that I spend on, say, restaurants not on the town docks, charities in the lake's region (and of course these charities spend this money), maintenance on my very modest 60 y/o cabin, etc. We all choose to spend our money in different ways, and I know people on and around the lake who have very modest boats but who spend a great deal never the less.
What I have found disagreeable with some of the recent posts is the " I'm going to take my bat and ball and go home" mentality.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:28 AM   #61
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post

Just my thoughts.
Hey Skip.. Great post.. By the way I love heading your directly to go to long sands.. Always a great time.

Just playing devils advocate but as you pointed out that several families on 20 footers may offset the one GFB, but now isn't that going to cause a safety issue as far as congestion. For the economy it would be great, but with things the way they are I doubt that "several" families have the extra $$ to offset.

Anyway just making polite conversation.. I agree with you on most aspects.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:25 AM   #62
Woodsy

Skip...

I agree with you that the economy is the biggest elephant in the room! However HB-847 does nothing to effect the big cruisers throwing big wakes. While there might be less hi-speed boat traffic. There will be the huge wakes thrown by the big cruisers...

Bang me a PM when you & the guys are heading over this way and we can meet up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mee-n-Mac View Post
Most of the folks who own the boats targeted by HB-847 can afford to spend the $$$... The question is will they spend that $$$ here or someplace else.

There is no easily quantifiable measure to judge the effect the speed limit will have on the economy, especially when you consider how bad the economy currently is. However, we can an idea if there was an effect at all, by looking at the amount of high test gasoline pumped on the lake, and a quick check with the charities conducting the poker runs. (these tend to attract the Hi-Performance boats that the speed limit targets) To be sure there will be an economic effect... but i am pretty sure its going to be a ripple noticed only by those businesses directly affected and barely noticed (if at all) by the general public.

The success or failure of the speed limit is easily quantifiable... How many tickets written? at what time/conditions? what was the outcome of the ticket? fine paid (no contest in court)? fine paid (contested in court)? no fine (case dismissed in court)? How much did the MP spend on enforcement? Cost of Patrols? Court Costs?

I suspect the number of boat registrations will be down this year and next given the state of things... this DIRECTLY affects MP funding and staffing levels. Cost will become (as I predicted a long time ago) a very big part of the speed limit equation...

Woodsy
Old 04-22-2009, 11:23 AM   #63
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
The success or failure of the speed limit is easily quantifiable... How many tickets written? at what time/conditions? what was the outcome of the ticket? fine paid (no contest in court)? fine paid (contested in court)? no fine (case dismissed in court)? How much did the MP spend on enforcement? Cost of Patrols? Court Costs?

I suspect the number of boat registrations will be down this year and next given the state of things... this DIRECTLY affects MP funding and staffing levels. Cost will become (as I predicted a long time ago) a very big part of the speed limit equation...

Woodsy
WOW Skip and Woodsy way to get to the heart of the subject.. I just wanted to chime in and say I am greatly impressed to the clarity of your posts. Top notch!

Woodsy I really like how you broke down the quantifiable costs of the limit itself. My only question is where would we get that information? I wonder if they will even post the data or if it is even calculated at all.

Although opposed to the SL or many different aspects I will say I think they would have worked better as money generator for the state if it was not linked to your MVR.

Just think about how many more people are going to fight their tickets and how much it will cost the state. Not to mention even before they were inacted how much difficulty proving accuracy.

Anyway, just wanted to say Thank you both for your posts. They show why this thread has value.
Old 04-22-2009, 05:31 PM   #64
ITD

Quote:
Skip...

I

Woodsy
I too am very curious as to how this will shake out. I'm not sure I agree with the statement that the speed limit success or failure is easily quantified or that I really understand your point. I think from my experience on the lake and the much poo pooed MP data from last year that there aren't too many boats going over 45 mph, except for a few instances. So I don't think too many speeding tickets will be written. MP will probably be pilloried for this. I do expect to see MP boats changing course to try and clock me on my jet ski, we'll see.

Anyway, I predict a very interesting boating season.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:56 PM   #65
Lakepilot

We have a 25 foot Cobalt that wide open goes real fast. I don't think of it as a go fast boat, but it is. But even though it goes like a bat out of you know where, our most enjoyable times are just cruising around the lake, looking at other boats, cottages or the mountains. I do that at a speed well below wide open throttle. It just feels better. My choice of speed is apparently a lot easier then many others though. My bow angle is almost independent of speed - as is my wake. I don't like crawling around the lake - takes to long to see things. I can't imagine just opening the throttle thow and going around the lake at full speed. I would miss a lot. I guess when I was younger I got a thrill out of wanting to go as fast as possible from a to b, but now I just want to enjoy the lake.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:15 PM   #66
Skip

Exclamation Trojan horse....

I guess I am extremely disappointed.

While I was concerned at the beginning of this thread that it would eventually spiral back into the speed limit debate, I realized that there is still a lot of passion about the issue and this thread contains posts from good people on both sides of that issue that were trying to explore a different angle, the possible economic impact.

That said something still didn't set right with me. So, being the curious individual that I am I poked around some other websites tonight. I won't name names nor will I dredge up the other sites, but suffice to say I found the smoking gun. It is obvious to me that at least one (and possibly several)poster in this thread does not truly care about the diverse opinions regarding possible economic impacts. I was very troubled to read some of the extremely negative comments this individual has made against this website and against posters here that were enticed to offer their opinions.

Don, this thread is going nowhere fast. While I believe the original poster was sincere in his question, this thread and discussion has become a trojan horse for at least one organization that has savaged this website, it's posters and you, our webmaster.

I vote that you close this thread immediately.

Thanks...
Old 04-22-2009, 09:38 AM   #67
sa meredith

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffk View Post
Huh???

Are you stating that because you insinuate that the picture might not have been taken on Winnipesaukee that it is not a valid example of what it is claimed to be, that higher speeds generally produce smaller wake?

This thread is so far afield at this point that a picture of someone golfing on the moon would be a legit addition to the argument. We posted pictures of Spock on another thread and I don't think there have been any Vulcans on Lake Winnipesaukee either.

This thread has become tedious. The original purpose to discuss the impact on the economy was a thin shield over discussing the speed limit again, a pointless exercise right now. No one can possibly predict how business will be this summer and even at the end of the year will not be able to tell what if any the speed limit contributed to the final effect. We all had our fun speculating.

This turkey is done.

Don, you suggested that you had your finger on the close button. I vote for you to press it.
http://rookery2.viary.com/storagev12...2_625x1000.jpg
Old 04-22-2009, 09:55 AM   #68
jeffk

Thanks SA Meredith.

Is that the fat lady singing?
Old 04-22-2009, 09:58 AM   #69
sa meredith

Default Yep...

Loud and clear......
Old 04-22-2009, 09:36 AM   #70
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second View Post
When I take a seasonal photograph of Lake Winnipesaukee, there are invariably mountains, intense residential development and at least one or more watercraft in the frame.

That one was taken in Maine on a smaller lake. It's the only one I have of my wake at that kind of speed. The other pictures lack other watercraft, intense residential development and mountains as well though, and they were taken on Winnipesuakee. None were taken by me.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:17 PM   #71
Dave R

Quote:

I don't want you to take this the wrong way but: Although we also have motorized boats(A Couple)and we like to speed around like everyone else(We at least slowdown for smaller boats, its common courtesy), I also have a canoe and a kayak (Which also have long histories on the lake-Longer history than motor boats come to think about it)and I can tell you that there definitely SHOULD be speed limits on certain areas of the lakes, I don't know how many times we have been out there in one of the smaller boats or canoes and some A-HOLE in a big cabin cruiser leaving a 3-4 foot wake blows by us at top speed many times almost capsizing us because they don't have any respect for the other people on the lake in smaller boats, even when near shore, Talk about road rage!!! you have no idea!!! My young nephew was up with us a few summers back on one of the occasions when this has happened and it scared him so bad he made us take him to shore and hasn't wanted to go out since, so yeah there should be speed limits in certain areas and if I ever meet up with one of these morons at the boat ramp then they may wish the hell they had slowed down instead of laughing about swamping some canoe who has just as much right to be out there on the lake as they do, if you don't believe me then try going out there in a canoe sometime and you may feel differently about the speed limits. Not all boaters are that way but there enough idiots out there to make up for the good people. COMMON SENSE GOES A LONG WAY.....One idiot even told me when I caught up to him and confronted him that he was second generation on the lake so that gave him the right to do whatever he wanted,...(Well my family has been in New England since 1622 but that doesn't give me more rights than anyone else,just the same rights).D.G.-Northeast Electric
What you described was illegal before speed limits were enacted.

Boats that leave a 3 or 4 foot wake are going much slower than 45 MPH.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:20 PM   #72
OCDACTIVE

Quote:

What you say is a valid opinion but a bit off topic.. We are really trying to discuss if they will have an impact on the economy and not whether we agree with the merits of the law itself.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:47 AM   #73
Turtle Boy

Quote:
Agree or disagree with the law, I haven't heard of anyone that will be boycotting going to dinner because they can't go faster than 25 mph at night. Even at that speed, which I will not exceed after dark anyway, the lake is only a 30-35 minute cruise from one end to the other.
My family plans to go out to dinner more, not less. We feel the experience will be more enjoyable than in the past. Maybe others will return as well.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:01 AM   #74
JDeere

Well I for one will do a lot more boating this season. Speed limit can only enhance the quality of the lake.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:09 AM   #75
OCDACTIVE

Quote:

OH my.. sorry to disagree.. I have talked to numerous people that said they will not be coming up because they do not want the hassel. It's a shame really....
Old 04-14-2009, 08:18 AM   #76
robmac

I will certainly be usung my boat as much if not more than usual. I to have heard a number of people that due to economic conditions will be boating alot less. It's a shame but should open up and ease congestion which will be fantastic. Heading to the boat shortlt for the day.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:25 AM   #77
OCDACTIVE

However, I also feel that from an economey standpoint there won't be much of an impact... other then maybe slightly on the gas pumps.. For all those people not coming there will be others that will come to support local businesses. They will still have to camp, eat etc. But I bet more people with smaller boats, kayaks, canoes etc will come where those spending hundreds if not thousands in gas won't be coming.

I am there either way... so see you out there!
Old 04-14-2009, 08:45 AM   #78
Woodsy

I definitely think the bad economy is going to hurt the lake worse than the speed limit, although there will be some impact at the gas pumps and restaurants. When was the last time you saw a bunch of kayakers pull up to the town docks, go drop $500 on dinner then leave... I suspect the big charity poker runs will also be down in revenue because the big boys arent welcome here anymore. There is already an abundance of boat slips for rent and sale...

The average family boaters doesnt have (or will not spend) the money to come stay on Winni as they had in the past. Several families that I know of who would come for the summer are now coming for a month (and trying to rent out thier cottage when they arent using it), others who would come for 2 weeks are down to 1 week, and others are just going to day trip... All in all everyone is cutting back, and that impact will be felt here on Winni.

I suspect a very non-congested boating season, with business down all around...

Woodsy
Old 04-14-2009, 08:46 AM   #79
Irrigation Guy

The cruise speed on my boat is about 26-27 mph. Anything less than that, I have to trim down, use more gas, and create a large wake(more erosion). More gas means less often going out to spend money at night. Usually I would go out during daylight, and return after dark. I keep my boat on Long Island so anywhere that serves dinner is a long cruise to be intentionally using more fuel than necessary.

I'd hope they wouldn't go after me for the little bit over, but if they are looking for a reason to pull someone over, well..............
Old 04-14-2009, 09:01 AM   #80
livefreeordie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalRealtor View Post
The cruise speed on my boat is about 26-27 mph. Anything less than that, I have to trim down, use more gas, and create a large wake(more erosion). More gas means less often going out to spend money at night. Usually I would go out during daylight, and return after dark. I keep my boat on Long Island so anywhere that serves dinner is a long cruise to be intentionally using more fuel than necessary.

I'd hope they wouldn't go after me for the little bit over, but if they are looking for a reason to pull someone over, well..............
well the good news is that I hear they are cutting MP force in half do to the bad times. there wont be many around to enforce the speed limit..... My radar detector will make its way to the boat every time I go out just to give me the heads up...
Old 04-14-2009, 09:32 AM   #81
brk-lnt

I'm no supporter of the speed limit law, but I would also point out that 25MPH is the LIMIT. You can, in fact, go slower than this speed. And every hull design I've ever seen is more efficient at right around displacement speed than even when on plane (baring hydrofoils and the like).

If you can't get/stay on plane at 25MPH, then go slower, or stay home.

This sky-is-falling attitude about the speed limit law is really pathetic (sorry). And just like a speedlimit law on the streets, I would *highly* doubt that anyone is going to get a ticket for going 28 or 32MPH at night. These tickets, if any are actually written, are going to be very hard to enforce, with boat speedometers generally being very inaccurate.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:06 AM   #82
Woodsy

Brk...

You prove my point.... If i go at displacement speed say 6-8 MPH, a round trip from the Weirs to Meredith will be approximately 1 1/2-2 hours... add in an hour or so for dinner.... it turns into a 3 hour tour! While some nights this might be enjoyable, on others less so.

At displacement speed you can forget about going to Center Harbor, Wolfeboro or Alton!! I would have to leave at noon and hope to be back at midnight!

At this point it just becomes easier to take the car... and thats a shame!

Woodsy
Old 04-14-2009, 10:53 AM   #83
brk-lnt

Quote:

At this point it just becomes easier to take the car... and thats a shame!

Woodsy
Yup, so the real question is going to be will the potentially lost revenue from people who feel they can no longer take their boat to dinner someplace be offset by the people who now (supposedly) feel less endangered on the lake?

And, if you take the car instead of the boat, the economic impact becomes a zero-sum game...
Old 04-14-2009, 12:25 PM   #84
hazelnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
Yup, so the real question is going to be will the potentially lost revenue from people who feel they can no longer take their boat to dinner someplace be offset by the people who now (supposedly) feel less endangered on the lake?

And, if you take the car instead of the boat, the economic impact becomes a zero-sum game...
Both post in this thread from you are argumentative and contain ignorance. People including myself, Woodsy, R2B and others are posting factual statements considering the FACT that if we follow the law we can not enjoy our boats at night. FACT! No embellishment, no hearsay, no wild accusation just plain fact. We are merely pointing out a fact that as a bi-product of this law we can not obey the law and enjoy it. We can go 6-8 MPH at night and take several hours to do our trip or as YOU SAY we can break the law and go 32MPH and be looking over our shoulder the entire ride worrying that the MP doesn't pull us over. Well that sucks in OUR opinion. You are entitled to yours but I'd appreciate if you didn't dismiss our concerns as "pathetic."

Let me make something else VERY clear. I own a 26 foot BOWRIDER capable of a top speed of 47MPH. At night this boat will not stay on plane at 25MPH. So this law affects the Bow Rider family boat crowd just as much.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:20 PM   #85
OCDACTIVE

Very well said. I believe you hit the nail on the head that not only one group of people (I now being part of that group) are adversley effected. But as long as the kayakers and canoers can go out in the middle of the broads at night all good..
Old 04-14-2009, 02:43 PM   #86
swnoel

Quote:
Very well said. I believe you hit the nail on the head that not only one group of people (I now being part of that group) are adversley effected. But as long as the kayakers and canoers can go out in the middle of the broads at night all good..
I thought it was law that you need bow and stern lights at night?

Who in their "right " mind would be in the broads with a kayak or canoe?
Maybe some drunk or crackhead!

Why is it that the large boat owners that reside on and use the Lake, think the lake belongs only to them!!!

Everyone has the right to be safe on the lake, the lack of respect that I've experienced by those big boats while fishing is unbelievable.

The bottom line is, if everyone showed the respect to one another as they maintain, there would be NO need for any additional laws!

I also don't think anyone will be stopped for going 10mph over in a safe way, but just the passing of the law will undoubtably make people more aware of what they're doing and will make the lake safer for all.
Old 04-14-2009, 02:50 PM   #87
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
I thought it was law that you need bow and stern lights at night?

Who in their "right " mind would be in the broads with a kayak or canoe?
Maybe some drunk or crackhead!

Why is it that the large boat owners that reside on and use the Lake, think the lake belongs only to them!!!

Everyone has the right to be safe on the lake, the lack of respect that I've experienced by those big boats while fishing is unbelievable.

The bottom line is, if everyone showed the respect to one another as they maintain, there would be NO need for any additional laws!
lights at night... You wouldn't believe this but I saw a battery powered clamp on lights for kayaks and canoes.

Ready for this.... 4th of July 3 years ago.. Crusing in a fountain in choppy weather. Probably going 40 - 45 mph... Nothing major... There were good 2-3 foot waves with cross wakes everywhere.. Just enjoying a nice jont down the center of the broads where we were going to stop an chill out. RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE of the broads is 2 eight foot BLUE Kayakers with BLUE life jackets one. Absolute stupidity. I don't care if you are going 25, 40, 45 or 60 this was tough to see in these conditions... So yes I think your crackhead comment would apply!

I have a big boat that is fast, I have a little boat 17 foot center consol fishing boat, and a 26 foot party boat at my dock. With respect and common sense there is no need for restrictions. And no I don't think I own the lake because I have a bigger faster boat. I know when and how to use it very well and IMO the broads is a perfect place to do that. Not in the bays where you have weekend warriors and major congestion.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:23 PM   #88
Dave R

This is the list of speed limit supporting entities that Winnfabs published a few years ago during the HB162 days. It may be inaccurate today, but I still use it. Thank Winnfabs for putting it toghether, I'm just passing it along.

The Common Man
Ashalnd Insurance
Strictly Rentals
Wild Meadow Canoes and Kayaks
Centre Harbor Cellars
Center Harbor Inn
AMC (Appalachian Mountain Club)
NH Audubon
New Hampshire Lakes Association (NHLA)
Decker Machinery Company
The Architectural Studio
Fay’s Boat Yard
Birch Island Camp Association
Gilford Islands Association (GIA)
Jolly Island Association
Lockes Island Association
Belknap Landscaping Company
Design Quest
DK Net Design
E&S Insurance LLC
The Hair Factory
Mike’s Ala Carte Catering
Pepi Herrmann Crystal, Inc.
Glendale Marine
River Edge Marina
Squam Lakes Association (SLA)
Cottage Place on Squam Lake
Squam Lake Inn
Me Designs
Barrons Billiards
Blooms Vanity
J&J Printing
LaBelles Shoe Store
Central & Northern Title
Haughey, Philpot & Laurent
Lakeside Hotel Assoc.
Sundial Shops
Paugus Bay Marina
Best Western Silver Fox Inn
Griffin Bodi Krause
Municipal Resources, Inc.
Great Northern Trading Co
Meredith Marina
Y-Landing
Bear Island Conservation Association (BICA)
East Bear Island Conservation Association
AMC- 3 Mile Island
Winnipesaukee Rowing Club
Alexandria Lamp Shop
Case N’ Keg
Chris Dupont Painting
Christopher P. Williams, Architects
Eisenberg Chiropractic
Hawkins Photography
Hobo Railroad
Landscapes By Tom
League of NH Craftsmen
Mastiff Builders
Omni Signs
Patricia’s “Specially for You”
Pemi Glass Company
Pretty Petunias Garden Center
Remax Bay Side Real Estate
Remcon/North
Sagecliff Software, Inc.
The Village Perk
Winnipesaukee Scenic Railroad
GASCO Realty, LLC
51 Main Street, LLc
Inns & Spa at Mill Falls
Meredith Bay Painting
The Lake House Grille
Lago
Camp
Town Docks Restaurant
Mame's
The Gallery at Mill Falls
Oglethorp
Guiseppies Resturant
Northern Air Trading
Lady of the Lake Clothing
Adorments
Creative Clothing
Christopher P. Williams, Architect
Oak Street Associates
Old Mill Insurance
Innisfree Bookstore
Phoenix Leasing, Inc.
Silver Top Ventures
Minuteman Plumbing & Heating
Sava Designs
Horn Insurance
Harts Restaurant
Fermentation Station LLC
Hunter's
Waukewan Antiques
Village Greenery
Etcetera Shop
Associated Surveyors
Moulton Farm
Barber Pole Association
Trexler’s Marina
Land’s End
Wyman Trail Association
Loon Preservation Committee
1st T Development Corporation
The Woodshed Restaurant
Castle in the Clouds
Amoskeg Insurance
EPTAM Plastics
The Common Man Inn
Corner House Inn
Seacoast Kayak
Tilton Veterinary Hospital
Waterville Valley Condo Rental
Thurston’s Marina
Lighthouse Inn
Weirs Beach Motel and Cottages
Van's Hotel Enterprises
Wolfboro Inn
Island Real Estate of New Hampshire
LB Boat Restoration
Millie B
Wolfeboro Trolley Company
Wolfetrap Restaurant
Old 04-14-2009, 01:33 PM   #89
Dave R

I have a 25 foot boat, with a single-stepped hull, 24 degrees of deadrise at the transom, and terrible weight distribution due to the big block engine option. It's obviously a pretty bad combination for slow speed planing, but it'll easily plane out at 19 MPH with the tabs down, and 24 MPH (speeds measured with GPS, not the OEM speedometer) with the tabs retracted. I have a Bravo 3 drive, so I suppose that helps a lot, but I find it hard to believe there's many boats out there that really won't plane at 25 MPH.

Mine does get substantially better gas mileage from 28 MPH to 40 MPH compared to 25 MPH though (as measured with a Lowrance LMF-200). Literally, 40% better.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:51 PM   #90
OCDACTIVE

All good points here.. Again, I don't think we will be able to judge, if at all, the limits will have effected the economy. Those in favor will say "The limits had no effect, the down turn was the economy in general". Those opposed will say "the business is down due to the limits etc etc" But when all is said and done there will be really no way to prove the economic impact what so ever. Most likely it will balance itself out.

As for the arguements concerning gas consumption.......... I will refer back to what my father and others have told me.... "If you are asking what you boat gets for MPG... You shouldn't buy a boat"

As you may have guessed or seen from prior threads I am Dead set against the limits. I think it is another law instituted on our freedoms. If current laws were enforced these never would have been instituted or needed (and still isn't IMO). Now the state has just another reason to ruin your good time.

The biggest mistake made was linking them to your MVR. I believe even the 150 foot rule is now linked as well as a moving violtation (don't quote me on that). Before, these infractions were money makers for the state. Out of staters and most in staters would normally just pay the fine for it wasn't in their best interests to fight it. Pay it and get it over with.. That is what I always did even when it was a bogus charge. A day off from work would cost a whole lot more then the simple fine. Now by linking them people will have to fight them. So this will flood our courts and cost the tax payers (not the out of staters) huge court fees. Plus as we have all read how it will be so difficult to prove. The 150 is an arbitrary "he said she said" law and the radars have proven to be inaccurate at best.

So with that said, This is going to be a very interesting year!
Old 04-14-2009, 02:36 PM   #91
Woodsy

Quote:
I have a 25 foot boat, with a single-stepped hull, 24 degrees of deadrise at the transom, and terrible weight distribution due to the big block engine option. It's obviously a pretty bad combination for slow speed planing, but it'll easily plane out at 19 MPH with the tabs down, and 24 MPH (speeds measured with GPS, not the OEM speedometer) with the tabs retracted. I have a Bravo 3 drive, so I suppose that helps a lot, but I find it hard to believe there's many boats out there that really won't plane at 25 MPH.

Mine does get substantially better gas mileage from 28 MPH to 40 MPH compared to 25 MPH though (as measured with a Lowrance LMF-200). Literally, 40% better.
Dave...

That Bravo 3 Dual prop drive is the key.... it pushes alot of water very efficiently at lower speeds.... nothing pops a boat on plane better or quicker than the Merc Bravo 3 or Volvo Duoprop setup...

But like everything... there is a tradeoff to be made!

The dual props become less efficient at higher speeds... thats alot of blade area to spin and it requires sustantially more HP to spin the faster it goes... and water does not compress. All things being equal thats why the huge difference in gasoline consumption.

A high performance boat such as my 26' Donzi is setup (weighted, balanced, propped) to go fast... 67-69 MPH. But like everything else there is a tradeoff. The boat doesnt like 25 MPH... even with the tabs down! The propeller is cavitating, the stern squatting and the nose is high.. and the wake rivals a Carver! I am sure its compounded on the larger heavier high performance boats.

Its funny but everything settles down smoothly at 30-32 MPH. You wouldnt think 5-6 MPH would make a big difference but it does.

For the record.. I seriously doubt the MP is going to pull you over for going 30 MPH... but you never know.

Woodsy
Old 04-15-2009, 10:41 AM   #92
Dave R

Quote:
Dave...

That Bravo 3 Dual prop drive is the key.... it pushes alot of water very efficiently at lower speeds.... nothing pops a boat on plane better or quicker than the Merc Bravo 3 or Volvo Duoprop setup...

But like everything... there is a tradeoff to be made!

The dual props become less efficient at higher speeds... thats alot of blade area to spin and it requires sustantially more HP to spin the faster it goes... and water does not compress. All things being equal thats why the huge difference in gasoline consumption.

A high performance boat such as my 26' Donzi is setup (weighted, balanced, propped) to go fast... 67-69 MPH. But like everything else there is a tradeoff. The boat doesnt like 25 MPH... even with the tabs down! The propeller is cavitating, the stern squatting and the nose is high.. and the wake rivals a Carver! I am sure its compounded on the larger heavier high performance boats.

Its funny but everything settles down smoothly at 30-32 MPH. You wouldnt think 5-6 MPH would make a big difference but it does.

For the record.. I seriously doubt the MP is going to pull you over for going 30 MPH... but you never know.

Woodsy
I knew it helped, but did not realize it helped that much.

You know a B3 lower gearcase bolts right up to a B1 upper gearcase, right? Might be worth picking one up on eBay while the 45/25 law is in effect and you can't really use the top end of the B1. A 1.5:1 ratio B1 upper gearcase would be a 2:1 ratio with a B3 lower bolted on, if memory serves. The swap takes mere minutes.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:44 AM   #93
Woodsy

Dave...

I have been looking for a deal on a B3 lower for awhile.... but they dont give them (or the propellers) away! LOL!

Woodsy
Old 04-15-2009, 01:57 PM   #94
Dave R

Quote:
Dave...

I have been looking for a deal on a B3 lower for awhile.... but they dont give them (or the propellers) away! LOL!

Woodsy

Yeah, they are not cheap, but if top speed is not a priority, a nice upgrade. You can get deals now and then on craigslist.

My boat model is actually faster with a small block and a B1, but I like longevity and effortless cruising RPM of the big block, and the control of the B3
Old 04-14-2009, 02:53 PM   #95
webmaster

Thanked 3,726 Times in 824 Posts

For those new to this forum I want to point out this post. This topic was closed for many reasons including an overwhelming amount of complaints from members. It is fine to comment on the future impact of the law or the current enforcement but what I am seeing are the same few people making the same points and going down the same paths that were repeated so often last time that I finally had to put a lid on it. If you are really interested in this topic you can read these same points repeated endlessly in the Speed Limit sub-forum.

I'm very close to closing this thread as well. We will not have a repeat of the bickering that dragged this forum down for so long.

Again, please feel free to comment on the future economic impact, enforcement and other personal observations. Just please don't again argue the merits of the law. The law passed, that debate is over. Save it for 2011.

I've got my finger on the "Close" button.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:27 PM   #96
Seeker

Will be interesting to see what happens in the derby this year. Never been to one but assume a lot of the guys run to different areas real fast. Maybe we should have a pool on how many tix are given out by MP?

We can only wait and see what the impact will be on the economy but as bad as it is now I don't see the speed limit making it much worse. Maybe a few years ago but not today.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:45 PM   #97
OCDACTIVE

I had started a thread awhile back about the poker runs... I also think that since it is geared more towards the "go fast boats" it may take a hit as far as attendance. Which not only hurts the economy but easter seals as well. What a shame.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:01 PM   #98
jrc

Speed limit or not the lake will be less crowded this year, you can't have 8% unemployment and not hit a few boaters. Plus fear, uncertainty and doubt will force a bunch more to convert their "fun" money to "just in case I get laid off" money.

As a side note. I've been scouting out a kayak or small canoe for just a little fun and fishing. Everywere I shop down in southern NH, they say I'm crazy to use a paddle boat on Winnipesaukee, it's so bad up there they had to put a speed limit in. So that campaign will have some effect as well.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:00 PM   #99
Rinkerfam

Don, thank you for mentioning a key word in your post...enforcement. I think that when the dust settles in 2011 we will see how "unenforceable" this piece of legislation was from a practical standpoint. Money, equipment, training and manpower will ultimately set the course for this law. My opinion is, that in the end, we will see how little there was to have worried about.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:18 AM   #100
mcdude

Thanked 1,044 Times in 490 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
I've got my finger on the "Close" button.
Hopefully sooner rather than later.