Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2017, 10:28 AM   #1
eillac@dow

Default Paving Co

Hi Folks....

I was wondering if anyone had a recommendation on who we could contact for putting in an asphalt driveway.

Thoughts on who to reach out to or who to stay away from ?

Thanks in advance!
eillac@dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:40 AM   #2
Meredith AK

Default Paving Co.

I can recommend Asphaltics, contact Dan 603-524-3316. I believe they are located in Gilford.
Link to their Web Site below.
They've paved a driveway for us as well as a basketball court.
Fair price and quick to respond and complete the job.

http://www.asphaltics.com/
Meredith AK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Meredith AK For This Useful Post:
eillac@dow (04-18-2017)
Old 04-18-2017, 11:27 AM   #3
Hillcountry

I had part of my driveway done by Asphaultics 2 years ago...although it's better than the sandy mess it was before, I believe he waited too long to spread the material and it had gotten cold on the trucks before installing it.
He really spent a lot of time grading while the trucks waited.
I opted for the "rough coat" not the finer finish coat due to cost constraints and the finished product is slowly losing the stones imbedded in the driveway.
I have a couple of small places where so much material has "disappeared" that there is a depression (not all the way through).
He had the best price out of all the paving companies in the area and that's what I went for...perhaps not the best choice on my part in hindsight.
I called him some months later when the material was washing away and all he could offer was "call me if it gets worse"
I may call him soon to see if he would come out and see what he thinks about the situation and what could be done to fix it.
I'm not really bashing him as he seemed like a decent guy and perhaps my paved area had many challenges like a tight area between the house and garage and my steep approach to same. Just giving info so others can make an informed decision.
In addition, the area in front of the garage doors was done by hand as he chose not to use the paving machine in that area and there is a "seam" where the hand work and machine work met.
Attached Images

Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hillcountry For This Useful Post:
eillac@dow (04-18-2017)
Old 04-18-2017, 11:30 AM   #4
panther

I used GMI a few years ago and thought they did nice work.
panther is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to panther For This Useful Post:
eillac@dow (04-18-2017)
Old 04-18-2017, 12:10 PM   #5
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Breton Construction

Is a local favorite for years give them a call.

Another reputable company is CLD Paving. 3rd generation of the Dunn family of pavers.
eillac@dow (04-18-2017), Fishy Cover (08-05-2019)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-2017, 12:10 PM   #6
Major

Default Gmi

I had good luck with GMI too. They applied a top coat on my driveway last year and did a nice job. Call Taylor Fletcher at 603-524-0200.
Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 05:24 PM   #7
LakeSnake

Default Gmi

+ one for GMI, did my driveway two years ago and no issues. Nice job, did plan with estimate that was spot on
Old 04-18-2017, 05:39 PM   #8
DickR

About 2.5 years back we had Bryant Paving do ours. They did a nice job, grading and vibrator-compacting ahead of time, before truck with hot asphalt arrived, so as to have drainage in the right direction. Others to consider would be GMI and Porter.

Your info says you are on Dow Island. So where would this paving be done? I don't imagine you have a driveway out there, just a path from your dock.
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DickR For This Useful Post:
eillac@dow (04-18-2017), UNHFOOTBALL (04-20-2017)
Old 04-18-2017, 06:08 PM   #9
eillac@dow

DickR....yes, Our family home is on Dow, but my brother has a home on Long Island. He asked me to ask the question for him!

I am sure he will be very happy with all of the great responses. I started to say "thanks" to folks, but after a few, my ability to "thank" was gone. I think there could be a limit, perhaps. In any event, thanks for everyone's input.

So is it crazy to ask.....what do you think it would cost? Is there a ball park $ range? He is looking to do a driveway, wide enough for.....say 2 cars or a car and a 22ft boat. Length wise I am guessing 40 ft. I could be way off the mark here. I have not talked to him about dimensions. I just figured if anyone had some input, that would be great.

Thanks everyone! Appreciate it.
eillac@dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 06:47 PM   #10
Redbarn

Quote:
Originally Posted by eillac@dow View Post
DickR....yes, Our family home is on Dow, but my brother has a home on Long Island. He asked me to ask the question for him!

I am sure he will be very happy with all of the great responses. I started to say "thanks" to folks, but after a few, my ability to "thank" was gone. I think there could be a limit, perhaps. In any event, thanks for everyone's input.

So is it crazy to ask.....what do you think it would cost? Is there a ball park $ range? He is looking to do a driveway, wide enough for.....say 2 cars or a car and a 22ft boat. Length wise I am guessing 40 ft. I could be way off the mark here. I have not talked to him about dimensions. I just figured if anyone had some input, that would be great.

Thanks everyone! Appreciate it.
There is a tonnage computation, take the total square yards (9 sf per square yards to be clear) multiple it by . .057
This will give you tons per inch, you will want at least 2 for base and a finish coat of 1". The price per ton will vary depending on your situation. I recommend the finished coat, it is a different mix, that really seals the base course, also the multiple layers has a plywood type effect for strength. The base course is not meant to be the wear course as someone posted they are having trouble with that. I don't know that contractor but I would defend them, given the information given. For example, Hand work in tight spaces is often required not an option, paving machines do not turn well. I have used every paving company posted here and they are all good, at their specialty. The key is describing what you want, and expect when you have them bid the job. As in don't expect the asphalt edge backed up if you do not ask for it initially. Don't expect a wear coarse if you don't get one (ignoring winter mix). {I am not a contractor, or paver, another life just trying to help}
Redbarn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Redbarn For This Useful Post:
Micker (04-19-2017), SteveO123 (04-19-2017)
Old 04-19-2017, 07:46 AM   #11
SIKSUKR

The other problem with just a base layer is that its so porous water can and will get in there and the freeze/thaw cycle will deteriorate it must faster.If it were mine,I would put the finish coat as soon as you can.
Hillcountry (04-19-2017)
Old 04-19-2017, 08:52 AM   #12
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
The other problem with just a base layer is that its so porous water can and will get in there and the freeze/thaw cycle will deteriorate it must faster.If it were mine,I would put the finish coat as soon as you can.
I'm not even sure I can do a top coat as he installed the base coat to grade (level with garage door ramps and right up to the bottom of the siding) but I'll look into it for sure. Maybe there would be some labor involved to lower the base in those areas?
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote