Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 02-01-2022, 04:00 PM   #1
mishman

Default Bicyclists and pedestrians - please fill out this Lakes Region Transportation survey

The Lakes Region Planning Commission would like to invite you to participate in a Bicycling and Walking Survey for our 2022 Lakes Region Bicycling and Walking Plan. The survey asks some basic demographic information and questions regarding your thoughts and habits on walking and bicycling in the Lakes Region.

Please share this survey with your towns and anyone that may be interested in completing the survey. Attached is a JPG and a PDF that can be used as a printout or sent electronically to those interested.

Click on link below - survey takes five minutes and will help guide transportation planning decisions for years to come.

https://arcg.is/1qaKjr
mishman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mishman For This Useful Post:
Tiger Lilly (02-01-2022)
Old 02-01-2022, 05:07 PM   #2
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,963 Times in 1,213 Posts

Done.

I'd love some more rail trail options with stops along the way. I did a hundred miles on the Erie Canal trail last summer, and there were some cool smaller sections along the way where one could bike out to something cool and back.

I'd also very much like some mountain biking on the Moultonborough side of the lake.

Thanks for sharing this!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 05:12 PM   #3
Stilljester

Thanks for sharing & happy to participate.

One comment, I don't remember the exact wording but in the survey the choices for responsibility to maintain sidewalks was limited to Non-Profits & several levels of government. I assumed this might have to do with the implied definition of maintenance but in other places I've lived, many "maintenance" activities were actually the responsibly of the property owner adjacent to the sidewalk.
Stilljester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 05:33 PM   #4
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Can't help out.

I wish I could help but the very 1st question asks where do you live.

I clicked on the arrow and found out, to my surprise, that Alton isn't part of the Lakes Region, or at least no one walks or bikes in Alton, or for what ever reasons Alton is not part of the Lakers Region Planning Commission.

In any case, it probably took longer ti write this response than it would have taken to do the survey.

Dave
ghfromaltonbay (02-01-2022)
Old 02-08-2022, 07:04 PM   #5
map

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishman View Post
The Lakes Region Planning Commission would like to invite you to participate in a Bicycling and Walking Survey for our 2022 Lakes Region Bicycling and Walking Plan. The survey asks some basic demographic information and questions regarding your thoughts and habits on walking and bicycling in the Lakes Region.

Please share this survey with your towns and anyone that may be interested in completing the survey. Attached is a JPG and a PDF that can be used as a printout or sent electronically to those interested.

Click on link below - survey takes five minutes and will help guide transportation planning decisions for years to come.

https://arcg.is/1qaKjr
Link not working for me.
map is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2022, 07:41 PM   #6
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,002 Times in 915 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
I wish I could help but the very 1st question asks where do you live.

I clicked on the arrow and found out, to my surprise, that Alton isn't part of the Lakes Region, or at least no one walks or bikes in Alton, or for what ever reasons Alton is not part of the Lakers Region Planning Commission.

In any case, it probably took longer ti write this response than it would have taken to do the survey.

Dave
Maybe 20 years ago I was involved with a warrant article to have Alton rejoin the Lakes Region Planning Commission and spoke to it at the Town Meeting. The article passed and later I was the rep to the LRPC for several years. It is not good to be an island. A few years ago there was a local political push to quit the LRPC. The annual dues funding was eliminated. IMHO a sad day for Alton.

Alan
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (02-08-2022)
Old 02-08-2022, 07:53 PM   #7
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Pennywise...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
Maybe 20 years ago I was involved with a warrant article to have Alton rejoin the Lakes Region Planning Commission and spoke to it at the Town Meeting. The article passed and later I was the rep to the LRPC for several years. It is not good to be an island. A few years ago there was a local political push to quit the LRPC. The annual dues funding was eliminated. IMHO a sad day for Alton.

Alan
Unfortunately, our town tends to be pennywise and pound foolish.

I believe I remember now when that happened. Something about we have a planning board, what are they going to do for us.

Thanks Alan. Back to their survey.

Dave
Old 02-10-2022, 08:46 AM   #8
fatlazyless

Default ..... Route 49, Campton-Thornton-Waterville Valley bicycle lanes(?)

So, what does Route 49 have that other NH-state numbered roads like Route 3, Route 11, Route 25, and Route 109 in the lakes region do not have, too much?

Located 35-miles north from the big intersection in Meredith, what does https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Hampshire_Route_49 have that other area roads do not have?

Click on small photo titled 'NH 49 at Campton Pond' which is actually the very shallow Mad River, there, just above the Campton Dam..... it has 2' to 3' to 4' wide shoulder lanes on both sides of the road that are fairly okay for riding a bicycle. Plus, there are usually not too many cars present, driving Rt 49. Sometime in the 1980's, this Route 49 was re-designed and re-made by the Gov John Sununu administration and the new improved Rt 49 is like a 50-mph scenic race track road going up the Mad River and along the woods of the WMNF, complete with 2' to 3' to 4' side lanes which the old Rt 49 did not have. Three foot wide, paved shoulder lanes on both sides of Rt 49 really seem to make a big difference for increasing the safe space for pedaling a bicycle.

It goes for about 11-miles from Campton, Route 93-Exit 28, through Thornton and up to Waterville Valley with very smooth, paved, shoulder lanes which is pretty good for riding a bicycle. You know, what the heck, this isn't the Country of Holland where the roads and ever present bike lanes are always separated by a green hedgerow, a canal, or an olde stone wall. This is New Hampshire where most all roads do not have a separate space for bicycles and bicycles just share the road with the cars and trucks and the bicycles hope the cars and trucks are attentive while driving.

For incredibly good bicycle pizza, suggest you start your pedal by visiting https://tartagliaspizza-nh.com, between the two ugly gas stations at Exit 28, open Thurs-Fri-Sat-Sun on your next Route 49 bicycle visit and believe is ok to leave your car with the unloaded bike rack at the now closed visitor information center, nearby at Exit 28. Is mostly up-hill going north-east bound, and down-hill returning south-west bound, back to Exit 28. The Wikipedia link to Route 49 has a pretty good map that gets bigger when you click on it.

And, the Town Square in Waterville Valley has a clean public rest room, plus another four or five miles of easy, flat, scenic, paved roads around the town for an easy restful pedal before returning the 11-miles, mostly down hill, back to Exit 28 area.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 02-11-2022 at 07:14 PM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote