Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 02-03-2011, 10:01 AM   #1
4Fun

Default Building permit/codes in Laconia

I recently bought a Condo in Laconia and I am planning on redoing the kitchen. Does anyone know if a permit is typically required to replace cabinets and coutntertop?

I am not changing the locations of the electrical or plumbing, just replacing cosmetics..

One thing I noticed is the hood above the electric stove does not vent outside. It's just a fan with a charcoal filter. Is this to code? Any problem keeping it that way? There is no way to vent outside as it's an inside wall.

Thanks
4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 12:03 PM   #2
jmen24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Fun View Post
I recently bought a Condo in Laconia and I am planning on redoing the kitchen. Does anyone know if a permit is typically required to replace cabinets and coutntertop?

I am not changing the locations of the electrical or plumbing, just replacing cosmetics..

One thing I noticed is the hood above the electric stove does not vent outside. It's just a fan with a charcoal filter. Is this to code? Any problem keeping it that way? There is no way to vent outside as it's an inside wall.

Thanks
Typically you do not need a permit for kitchen renovations. With that being said, every town is different and you really need to contact the building inspector or zoning administrator (depending on how Laconia handles permiting).

Some towns do require a permit for cosmetic upgrades as they want the ability to review the project after it is complete to make any adjustments to valuation.

The range hood not being vented is not a code violation. The idea is that it cuts out the grease through the filters and just puts the air back into the room.

The downside to this setup is that it removed the grease from the air (that haze in the kitchen after frying up some bacon) but not the odor. It also puts the steam from a boiling pot back into the room, this is not likely to cause a problem unless you boil water all day and all night, again not likely.

Changing the way a range hood fan vents is quite easy and does not require replacement. You can change the outlet from vertical, out the rear or recirculate by rotating the fan within the housing or opening one outlet port and blocking another, depends on the manufacturer.

Some additional info:

If you want the fan to vent outside, then this is the time to do that. Assuming that your range is located on an outside wall or you intend on having a soffit above your cabinets to run the ducting through. But know that you are going to need association approval to penetrate the exterior of your building, whether it be a side wall or the roof. Also there is a limit to how far a duct run can go and every 90 degree corner in that duct cuts down the total duct length (usually 20% per turn). So if the fan motor can only push air out a maximum duct length of 20feet and you have two 90 degree bends, you lose 8feet of run and have to be within 12 feet of the exit point.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 12:43 PM   #3
4Fun

Thanks. The stove is on an inside wall and there is another unit above mine so the vent will have to stay the way it is. I will call Laconia to be sure on the permit.
4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:42 PM   #4
boo

no permit is needed for the work you have stated above. the most you would need would be association approval, but that is unlokely since you are working inside your unit, unless you plan on having a dumpster or other construction materials outside your unit.
good luck with your project.
boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 03:27 PM   #5
eric richard

Default kitchen renovation

hi 4fun my name is Eric from Eric's & Phil's Home Improvement LLC. We do kitchen renovatoin and you should not need a permit to do it if you are not changing the plumbing, electrical, or any of the main framing of the house. If you are looking for a contractor to do the work feel free to call me at (603) 509-3880 I will be more then happy to give you a free quote. You can also visit us at www.ericnphilshomeimprovement.com and see pic of work we done and other services we provide.

Thank You
Eric Richard
Owner
Eric's & Phil's Home Improvement LLC.
(603) 509-3880
eric richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links