Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-01-2005, 09:12 AM   #1
feb

Default Motor Upgrade ???'s

I have a 27' pontoon with an older 70hp Johnson on it. She's able to go about 15-20 mph under load which is OK for pulling little kids on tubes. But as the kids are getting bigger, it's getting harder and harder to knock them off the tube becuase I can't go fast enough Instead of buying a different boat, I was thinking about just getting a larger motor for the pontoon. I saw some 115hp motors that are in my price range but don't know if that amount on hp increase would really make a difference. This is my first boat so I don't have any experience with any other size motor and it's capabilities. The 115hp is 50% more hp than my current 70. Does that mean I can go 50% faster? Or is that wishful thinking?
feb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 09:23 AM   #2
Woodsy

There is a MAXIMUM HP limit on your boat. It should be on the yellow Coast Guard capacity sticker on the boat. Don't go above that, although many do. Most marinas will not hang a motor with a higher hp than what the boat is rated for due to liability reasons....

Its probably wishful thinking that you will go 50% faster... but you will se an increase, and it will be better at pulling the kids on tubes. You will probably want to stay with a Johnson/Evinrude, just because thats what you have for controls & wiring.

Woodsy
Woodsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 06:47 PM   #3
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Feb...I'd go for it if the 115 is close to capacity.......the 27' should handle it fine......You won't get a 50% increase....but you'll be happy.Have fun
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 09:41 PM   #4
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

I have a 19 ft bowrider, and had a 113 HP Evinrude...lots of problems. Replaced it two seasons ago with a 125 Mercury Optimax. Optimax is a two stroke with oil injection, runs clean, and is extremely economical. Went out the other day with the wife, went from West Alton to the weirs, then down into Paugus bay, over to Merideth, Over to Center Harbor, then over through Long Island bridge past Barber pole enroute to Wolfeboro, then around the Kenneston Islands down in Alton Bay, then back out to West Alton. Had a few stops along the way, just happened to gas up just as we were leaving and reset my gas usage gauge, and it showed 12.7 gallons (12 point something, I think .7) and my GPS showed just over 75 miles of travel. Wouldn't be real happy with about 6 miles to the gallon in a car, but doesn't seem bad in the boat . Plenty of power, although I haven't water skiied with it, but it does get me on a plane infinitely faster than the evinrude.

I agree, check your boat capacity plate for max allowable HP.