Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2019, 06:53 PM   #1
garysanfran

Default They turn up the heat to keep snow off the roof???

What? Couldn't hire someone with shovels? Yup...Your tax dollars being spent by others.

Meredith proposes new public works building...

Don't most of those people work outdoors?

https://www.laconiadailysun.com/news...1d4140a08.html
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 06:56 PM   #2
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

My laugh of the day, you were truly funny gary!!
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 07:32 PM   #3
fatlazyless

Oh come on..... you guys have probably never-ever even been inside the DPW building. Do you know what is the difference between a building and a shed? Well, a shed is basically a storage building that's not designed for people, and the DPW building is a lot more like an old shed, than like a building.

The Meredith DPW does an outstanding job despite having basically a shed for their home, and they deserve to get a real building complete with windows, heat, quality design and usable people space inside. Things like locker rooms, rest rooms, a kitchen, offices, heat, lighting, utilities, design and use all add up to make it a quality DPW ..... which it already is ..... but they really deserve a new home building.

Like, who plows the roads and does everything else? A new Meredith DPW home building will be town money, well spent.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 02-10-2019 at 06:05 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fatlazyless For This Useful Post:
bayviewguy (02-13-2019), Loub52 (02-11-2019), pondguy (02-08-2019), Trail Goer (03-15-2019)
Old 02-08-2019, 10:54 AM   #4
garysanfran

Default May be true...But....

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Oh come ..... you guys have probably never-ever even been inside the DPW building. Do you know what is the difference between a building and a shed? Well, a shed is basically a storage building that's not designed for people, and the DPW building is a lot more like an old shed, than like a building.

The Meredith DPW does an outstanding job despite having basically a shed for their home, and they deserve to get a real building complete with windows, heat, quality design and usable people space inside. Things like locker rooms, rest rooms, a kitchen, offices, heat, lighting, utilities, design and use all add up to make it a quality DPW ..... which it already is ..... but they really deserve a new home building.

Like, who plows the roads and does everything else? A new Meredith DPW home building will be town money, well spent.
Removing snow off a dilapidated shack by turning up the heat...Is still kinda dumb!
Old 02-08-2019, 11:06 AM   #5
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

I have a 40 x 60 shop with a 4/12 pitch roof. I do the same thing but I have a waste oil heated so I don't pay for oil. It would cost me a fortune to have my roof shoveled.
So in some instances it makes perfect sense.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2019, 11:09 AM   #6
garysanfran

Default They need a kitchen???

Quote:
Oh come ..... you guys have probably never-ever even been inside the DPW building. Do you know what is the difference between a building and a shed? Well, a shed is basically a storage building that's not designed for people, and the DPW building is a lot more like an old shed, than like a building.

How many businesses offer their employees a kitchen?

Maybe Taylor's Family Restaurant would still be around if the Meredith DPW employees supported local eateries.

Silicon Valley has started outlawing employers from giving employees free gourmet lunches with the intent of supporting the local economy.

I don't think it's the Govt.'s responsibility to set eating requirements for employers/employees one-way-or-the-other.

However...Does this not escalate their "high" utility bill further at my expense? I pay my high taxes which I now know includes the cost of the DPW cooking lunch. I pay for my own utilities when I cook my meals.

I know, it doesn't amount to much, but a lot of "not amounting to much" amounts to a lot!

How many times has Meredith used that new expensive fire engine capable of reaching the top stories of high-rise buildings?
Old 02-08-2019, 11:09 AM   #7
jbolty

Don't think I've ever seen this rope method, but I like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RZVTMqZP_o
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 11:22 AM   #8
garysanfran

Default Wait a minute...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
I have a 40 x 60 shop with a 4/12 pitch roof. I do the same thing but I have a waste oil heated so I don't pay for oil. It would cost me a fortune to have my roof shoveled.
So in some instances it makes perfect sense.
It just occurred to me...These are DPW employees!!!

They can't shovel their own roof?

WHAT?
Old 02-08-2019, 11:39 AM   #9
fatlazyless

Sure ….. a basic home style kitchen with a kitchen sink, refrigerator, oven/range, dishwasher, microwave, water cooler, k-cup coffee, kitchen counters and cabinets, and a kitchen table intended for do-it-yourself type food prep as opposed to serving meals.

For $2.50 at Walmart, you can get those www.mariecallendersmeals.com/frozen-pot-pies 5" frozen pot pies in turkey, chicken, beef, or cheesy chicken w/bacon, which go in the microwave for about nine minutes …… and come out with a totally perfect flakey crust plus carrots and peas, pie filling …… is very hot …. and really hits the spot in the cold winter ….. after driving a plow for long hours or working out in the cold …… like why not!

The turkey is the best!

People work better when they are fed well.

You know if you eat at a restaurant, you get hit with the 9% prepared food tax and paying the tip, plus it takes a lot more time as well.
Old 02-08-2019, 12:02 PM   #10
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysanfran View Post
It just occurred to me...These are DPW employees!!!

They can't shovel their own roof?

WHAT?
They probably have a waste oil heater. If they don't they should have one. If it's a DPW garage they probably service their own vehicles and get plenty of free oil.
Old 02-08-2019, 12:05 PM   #11
TheVoiceOfReason

Quote:
How many businesses offer their employees a kitchen?

Maybe Taylor's Family Restaurant would still be around if the Meredith DPW employees supported local eateries.

Silicon Valley has started outlawing employers from giving employees free gourmet lunches with the intent of supporting the local economy.

I don't think it's the Govt.'s responsibility to set eating requirements for employers/employees one-way-or-the-other.

However...Does this not escalate their "high" utility bill further at my expense? I pay my high taxes which I now know includes the cost of the DPW cooking lunch. I pay for my own utilities when I cook my meals.

I know, it doesn't amount to much, but a lot of "not amounting to much" amounts to a lot!

How many times has Meredith used that new expensive fire engine capable of reaching the top stories of high-rise buildings?
I don't even know where to begin here. Almost all workplaces have a small kitchen area (fridge for storing lunches, microwave for heating food, sink for rinsing dishes). It would be entirely reasonable for the Meredith DPW to have the same, especially considering they work long shifts during snowstorms plowing our town roads.

You insinuate that Taylor's Family Restaurant would still be open if the Meredith DPW crews purchased their lunch instead of bringing it in a paper bag. First off, it's not the DPW crew's responsibility to keep a business afloat and secondly, they aren't compensated well enough to spend $10/day on lunch when they can brown bag it for $10/week.

The Meredith DPW is a hard-working, underappreciated crew who deserves to be supported by the town and its residents, not bashed on an online forum for (gasp) requesting an actual building with an actual office and an actual kitchen to prepare lunch in. Heaven forbid your taxes go up $0.01/year so that the guy who plows your road at 3am can heat up his Hot Pocket using a microwave that is supplied by town power.
TheVoiceOfReason is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TheVoiceOfReason For This Useful Post:
Biggd (02-08-2019), Loub52 (02-11-2019), Reilly (03-16-2019), thinkxingu (02-08-2019), Trail Goer (03-15-2019), WakeboardMom (03-16-2019)
Old 02-08-2019, 12:10 PM   #12
Biggd

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVoiceOfReason View Post
I don't even know where to begin here. Almost all workplaces have a small kitchen area (fridge for storing lunches, microwave for heating food, sink for rinsing dishes). It would be entirely reasonable for the Meredith DPW to have the same, especially considering they work long shifts during snowstorms plowing our town roads.

You insinuate that Taylor's Family Restaurant would still be open if the Meredith DPW crews purchased their lunch instead of bringing it in a paper bag. First off, it's not the DPW crew's responsibility to keep a business afloat and secondly, they aren't compensated well enough to spend $10/day on lunch when they can brown bag it for $10/week.

The Meredith DPW is a hard-working, underappreciated crew who deserves to be supported by the town and its residents, not bashed on an online forum for (gasp) requesting an actual building with an actual office and an actual kitchen to prepare lunch in. Heaven forbid your taxes go up $0.01/year so that the guy who plows your road at 3am can heat up his Hot Pocket using a microwave that is supplied by town power.
I, for one, think they do a terrific job!
Old 02-08-2019, 01:15 PM   #13
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:

Agreed.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 01:52 PM   #14
garysanfran

Default Well...

Quote:

I do appreciate the work they do...However, They don't plow my road. I have no town water. No town sewer. No paved road. And I pay the same tax rate as everyone else.
Old 02-08-2019, 02:08 PM   #15
TheVoiceOfReason

Quote:
I do appreciate the work they do...However, They don't plow my road. I have no town water. No town sewer. No paved road. And I pay the same tax rate as everyone else.
If you have no town water and no town sewer then you have no town water or sewer bills to pay. Even if they don't plow your road they plow the roads to get to your road. I don't have a child in the school system but I don't complain about having to pay taxes to maintain the schools. You pay the same tax rate as everyone else because as a community we share the burden. That's what being part of a community is. And in my community I'd prefer to not have my DPW workers operate out of a substandard facility.
TheVoiceOfReason is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheVoiceOfReason For This Useful Post:
thinkxingu (02-08-2019), Trail Goer (03-15-2019), WakeboardMom (03-16-2019)
Old 02-08-2019, 02:53 PM   #16
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
If you have no town water and no town sewer then you have no town water or sewer bills to pay. Even if they don't plow your road they plow the roads to get to your road. I don't have a child in the school system but I don't complain about having to pay taxes to maintain the schools. You pay the same tax rate as everyone else because as a community we share the burden. That's what being part of a community is. And in my community I'd prefer to not have my DPW workers operate out of a substandard facility.
Will you please, please, please stop using common sense?

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 03:16 PM   #17
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

I got no problem with stuff like to so long as it is done within reason.

As stated in that article 5.6 million is targeted for "hard" expenses IE the demo, site work and new construction. 1.6 million is targeted for "soft costs" listed as "engineering and architecture" work. Now wait a minute here, approximately 1/3 of the cost is devoted to engineering and architecture and even worse that work is being done by an outfit in MA.

I don't understand why the DPW can't go buy some pre-engineered steel buildings and use those, they can be finished off inside, insulated etc.. as needed to provide office space and whatever else is needed - even a kitchen. These are regularly used by various companies, farms and even churches. I got to believe this could be done for a FRACTION of the price stated.

In fact the town could hire FLL as a 1099 consultant (paid a minimum wage of course) to keep the costs down.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
LIforrelaxin (03-15-2019)
Old 02-11-2019, 02:30 PM   #18
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Voter's choice

In most towns if a proposal is too extravagant, the voters turn it down. Meredith voters are probably having these same conversations. I think it is rare for a DPW to propose a palace, compared to those who run some other functions of government. Sometimes it's just timing. NH built a new courthouse in town in 2009. They expected three bidders and a cost of $7MM. There were 13 bidders and a final cost of about $4MM. Not gonna happen, as they say, "...and in this economy..." .
Descant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 06:59 AM   #19
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
In most towns if a proposal is too extravagant, the voters turn it down. Meredith voters are probably having these same conversations. I think it is rare for a DPW to propose a palace, compared to those who run some other functions of government. Sometimes it's just timing. NH built a new courthouse in town in 2009. They expected three bidders and a cost of $7MM. There were 13 bidders and a final cost of about $4MM. Not gonna happen, as they say, "...and in this economy..." .
MEREDITH — Resolution of the long-discussed need for better and safer conditions for Department of Public Works employees took a big step forward with the approval of a $7.6 million building plan at Wednesday’s Town Meeting.

The 185-37 ballot vote easily met the two-thirds majority requirement for passage of the article. The plan calls for the replacement of a 7,000-square-foot building with a 12,839-square-foot structure that will allow the crew to maintain town vehicles in a safe environment that also is far more energy-efficient.

https://www.laconiadailysun.com/news...1d8627193.html
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 07:43 AM   #20
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorsman View Post
MEREDITH — Resolution of the long-discussed need for better and safer conditions for Department of Public Works employees took a big step forward with the approval of a $7.6 million building plan at Wednesday’s Town Meeting.

The 185-37 ballot vote easily met the two-thirds majority requirement for passage of the article. The plan calls for the replacement of a 7,000-square-foot building with a 12,839-square-foot structure that will allow the crew to maintain town vehicles in a safe environment that also is far more energy-efficient.

https://www.laconiadailysun.com/news...1d8627193.html
What??? 7.6 million for a Public Works Building?????? And can it be that 187 people voted for it? I must be reading something wrong. Please help!!
Old 03-15-2019, 07:50 AM   #21
Biggd

I guess my taxes will be going up again.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:55 AM   #22
garysanfran

Default I changed my mind...

They can have a kitchen...Viking range, Sub-Zero fridge. I have no vote! Us Out-of-Towners will continue taking care of the locals.

In Meredith, I live on a non-town owned road...No snow removal. No pavement. No maintenance of any kind. No town sewer. No town water. No kids in school. No trash removal. Not a full-time resident. I have to pay for a library card. I go to the transfer station, give the guy my $2 fee and watch him put it in his pocket.

In San Francisco, I pay 1/3 of the property tax I pay in Meredith on a place worth 4 times more. And I just saw the street sweeper go by and later they'll pick-up my trash. Free library card! (I know we have a sales tax, income tax, etc. These are expenses within my control). Don't get me wrong. California is THE example of waste, fraud, nepotism, cronyism and Kamala Harris progressivism. Get rid of those winters and I'm in Meredith full-time. Yesterday I got an unintentional tan after I fell asleep on my deck.

If they allowed guns in SF, you could go to their DPW building and shoot rats. The unions here probably believe making one's own lunch is not part of the job description.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:36 AM   #23
dpg

Wait till someone dies and the town pays the family twice the amount of a new garage in a lawsuit then they'll see how expensive a building is.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 11:04 AM   #24
Biggd

Quote:
They can have a kitchen...Viking range, Sub-Zero fridge. I have no vote! Us Out-of-Towners will continue taking care of the locals.

In Meredith, I live on a non-town owned road...No snow removal. No pavement. No maintenance of any kind. No town sewer. No town water. No kids in school. No trash removal. Not a full-time resident. I have to pay for a library card. I go to the transfer station, give the guy my $2 fee and watch him put it in his pocket.

In San Francisco, I pay 1/3 of the property tax I pay in Meredith on a place worth 4 times more. And I just saw the street sweeper go by and later they'll pick-up my trash. Free library card! (I know we have a sales tax, income tax, etc. These are expenses within my control). Don't get me wrong. California is THE example of waste, fraud, nepotism, cronyism and Kamala Harris progressivism. Get rid of those winters and I'm in Meredith full-time. Yesterday I got an unintentional tan after I fell asleep on my deck.

If they allowed guns in SF, you could go to their DPW building and shoot rats. The unions here probably believe making one's own lunch is not part of the job description.
FYI, you can get 2 dump stickers for your vehicles at the town hall as long as you own a home in Meredith. It's 20 bucks and lasts for 2 years. It also gives you free access to the town boat launches.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:15 AM   #25
Paugus Bay Resident

"No town sewer. No town water. No kids in school. No trash removal. Not a full-time resident"

Well, I am a full time resident and the same applies to me But, I chose to live here knowing all that, assume you did too.
Paugus Bay Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paugus Bay Resident For This Useful Post:
MRD (03-15-2019), Reilly (03-16-2019)
Old 03-15-2019, 11:34 AM   #26
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
Wait till someone dies and the town pays the family twice the amount of a new garage in a lawsuit then they'll see how expensive a building is.
Are you implying that a 7.6 million dollar public works building is going to prevent a lawsuit?
Old 03-15-2019, 11:37 AM   #27
tis

dog, is this what you are talking about?

"There are a number of safety risks with the current facility, Warren said, making Meredith “the loss leader in slip-and-fall injuries” because there is no wash bay for the trucks. Instead, employees climb to the top of the vehicles to clean them after sand and salt operations, and the runoff from washing them may contain contaminants that reach nearby Hawkins Brook.

The current facility also lacks truck lifts, so workers making undercarriage repairs to the heavy trucks are working under vehicle jacks."

Surely, they could have built a safe building for less than 7.6 million? I am just shocked by this amount.

Sorry, should have said that is from the L. Sun.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:49 AM   #28
MAXUM

What they couldn't buy a couple of these?

https://www.ebay.com/i/142750819242?chn=ps

FREE SHIPPING!!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
garysanfran (03-15-2019)
Old 03-15-2019, 12:21 PM   #29
garysanfran

Default I know that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
FYI, you can get 2 dump stickers for your vehicles at the town hall as long as you own a home in Meredith. It's 20 bucks and lasts for 2 years. It also gives you free access to the town boat launches.
I usually arrive in Meredith for two months at a time with a rental car. Getting a yearly doesn't work. The sticker has to be permanently adhered.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:33 PM   #30
garysanfran

Default Being a chronic mal-content...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paugus Bay Resident View Post
"No town sewer. No town water. No kids in school. No trash removal. Not a full-time resident"

Well, I am a full time resident and the same applies to me But, I chose to live here knowing all that, assume you did too.
I have complaints about all the great places I spend my time. Why complain about other places?

When my parents died, I did all I could, and maybe more, to keep our Winni place in the family because I love it and can't imagine life without it. The evolution since 1961 has been phenomenal...Makes me wonder what the area will be like in 2100?
Old 03-15-2019, 01:06 PM   #31
MAXUM

It will be a unlivable, dry, hot, barren wasteland. The great thing is you only have to wait 12 years to experience this. Isn't that awesome?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
Descant (03-16-2019), garysanfran (03-15-2019)
Old 03-15-2019, 03:07 PM   #32
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
It will be a unlivable, dry, hot, barren wasteland. The great thing is you only have to wait 12 years to experience this. Isn't that awesome?
Too much New year's Twilight Zone!
JEEPONLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 10:19 AM   #33
garysanfran

Default 185-37

It took only 185 people to in-debt the entire town for over $7.6 mm?

Just curious as to how many of these pro-voters worked for DPW or were their relatives?

My initial question remains...I think...

These are DPW workers. Their job descriptions include snow removal. With an anticipated $7.6 mm proposed building, I assume they already have the best snow removal equipment Meredith can afford. And lots of shovels and a ladder?

They chose to turn up the heat???

Meredith proves (as do most Governments) ... It's very easy to spend other people's money!

I wonder if Adriana Ocasio-Cortez has ever shoveled snow?
Old 03-16-2019, 11:29 AM   #34
Seaplane Pilot

Quote:

Just curious as to how many of these pro-voters worked for DPW or were their relatives?

My initial question remains...I think...

These are DPW workers. Their job descriptions include snow removal. With an anticipated $7.6 mm proposed building, I assume they already have the best snow removal equipment Meredith can afford. And lots of shovels and a ladder?

They chose to turn up the heat???

Meredith proves (as do most Governments) ... It's very easy to spend other people's money!

I wonder if Adriana Ocasio-Cortez has ever shoveled snow?
I don’t know about snow, but she sure has shoveled tons of B**L S**T!
Seaplane Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Seaplane Pilot For This Useful Post:
BoatHouse (03-16-2019), CTYankee (03-17-2019), garysanfran (03-16-2019), ishoot308 (03-16-2019), SteveO123 (03-16-2019), TiltonBB (03-17-2019)
Old 03-16-2019, 01:12 PM   #35
Rusty

Quote:
There are 5849 registered voters in Meredith. I would think that it would take more than 185 people to pass a capital expenditure of $7.6 M to build the DPW building.
Everything is legal, but jeeeeeez 185 people????
Old 03-16-2019, 04:44 PM   #36
garysanfran

Default I just read ""

"The Meredith Chronicles" which begins with history for the area from about 14,000 years ago. Not much change during most of that time. Most of the change and development happened in the last 200 years, with the changes in the last 100 years astounding. The next 100 years, will be even more so.

One thing I learned...

Our founders did it themselves. A large Govt. didn't exist.

I, not long ago, attended a San Fran City meeting on public housing. I sat on a panel with the Mayor's office, Police Chief, Director of Homeless, Director of the SF Housing Authority, Deputy Mayor. We listened to the complaints of those on public housing.

One elderly woman stood and announced, proudly (in my opinion), that she represented a family of three generations on public housing and she had never seen it so bad. She said, three days ago, she saw a bag of someone else's trash on her front steps. She called the SFHA and reported it. She complained that it took three days for someone from SFHA to come and remove the bag.

A guy, on the panel, sitting next to me was from the SF City budget office and asked "Where are your trash receptacles from your front door"? "At the end of my sidewalk", she replied.

He then said "Well Mam. I have to mow my own lawn"...Massive hysteria ensued. I had to be escorted to my car by the SFPD because of the threats to those on the entire panel...Entitlement...I ain't removin' that trash!

So, y'all want a new DPW building? Let's do it the right way...What would the residents in the 1700's do with a need for a new DPW building for all their equipment???

Lets have a building Hoedown!

Let's build it ourselves! Of course we'd all need proper supervision. But I am good at deconstruction and can swing a hammer and use a level and power tools. I assume there'a lot better talent than me... Over 5,000 residents in Meredith. Could save around $1,700 each!

So why can't we do this?

Well, it appears the job has been farmed out to a company in Massachusetts? Probably union...And then there's our feeling of entitlement. Oh...And uhh...Someone may get hurt! Oh my...

Have a Happy St. Pat's.
Old 03-16-2019, 06:01 PM   #37
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
There are 5849 registered voters in Meredith. I would think that it would take more than 185 people to pass a capital expenditure of $7.6 M to build the DPW building.
Everything is legal, but jeeeeeez 185 people????
That's my thought exactly. It seems hard to believe that only 185 people made a 7.6 million dollar decision for the town of Meredith. With that amount it's hard to believe more people didn't go and vote.
Old 03-16-2019, 06:53 PM   #38
WinnisquamZ

Over 5k registered seems high for Meredith. What have past elections turnout looked like

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 06:59 PM   #39
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post
Over 5k registered seems high for Meredith. What have past elections turnout looked like

This is the checklist for Meredith:
Attached Images

Old 03-16-2019, 07:03 PM   #40
tis

I think Meredith might not be an SB2 town though so they might vote at town meeting. But for a big money article like that they can't vote at town meeting can they?
Old 03-16-2019, 07:55 PM   #41
WinnisquamZ

Raises a question, what are the laws in NH to scrub voter lists?

Old 03-16-2019, 09:57 PM   #42
Descant

There is a periodic purging of voters who have not voted, and new voters appear in growing numbers in most towns, not so much in northern cities. Regardless, if you have 3000 or 6000, 222 is a very low turnout. Probably no opposed elections on the ballot, or renewal of union contracts, etc that usually turn out bigger numbers.
Town Meeting, whether traditional or SB2, can pass whatever size warrant article they want including the town and school district operating budgets. If the question is for a bond, it is a ballot vote, must pass by a 2/3 majority (60% in SB2 towns). The ballot box must remain open for at least one hour. That allows time for one family member to vote and go home so the spouse can stop babysitting and go vote.
Old 03-17-2019, 02:18 AM   #43
WinnisquamZ

Thank you. Agree the turn out was a disappointment

Old 03-17-2019, 05:04 AM   #44
tis

Quote:
There is a periodic purging of voters who have not voted, and new voters appear in growing numbers in most towns, not so much in northern cities. Regardless, if you have 3000 or 6000, 222 is a very low turnout. Probably no opposed elections on the ballot, or renewal of union contracts, etc that usually turn out bigger numbers.
Town Meeting, whether traditional or SB2, can pass whatever size warrant article they want including the town and school district operating budgets. If the question is for a bond, it is a ballot vote, must pass by a 2/3 majority (60% in SB2 towns). The ballot box must remain open for at least one hour. That allows time for one family member to vote and go home so the spouse can stop babysitting and go vote.

What I was wondering was if this was voted on at town meeting rather than during the day at their location. Turnout for town meeting tends to be much lower than when they vote all day long.
Old 03-17-2019, 12:16 PM   #45
Buffalo Gal

Default Is it just me?

I rarely post anything on this forum, I don’t like getting into controversial issues. But this topic has really struck a nerve with me. I’ve lived in Meredith for over 10 years. I had no idea that there was an election this past week. Normally, I like to think of myself as a well informed person. Every day I check the Town of Meredith website for meeting agendas and minutes (which by the way, are very slow to appear). I am a subscriber to and read the local newspaper the “Meredith News”. Speaking of which, it is a sorry excuse for a newspaper, with the spelling errors and obvious lack of a proof reader. Anyway, I was really surprised to learn that there was an election! If I had known about it, I would have gone down to the community center and voted. Not sure which way I would have voted on the DPW building, but I would have done my civic duty. I don’t want to appear paranoid but is it possible that this election was deliberately down played? While I’m appearing paranoid, I also wonder why the abandoned building that formerly held the hardware store and pizza shop on the corner of Rt. 25 and Rt. 3 is allowed to practically collapse in on itself? Isn’t it a public nuisance or a danger?
Buffalo Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 12:22 PM   #46
Descant

Default Traditional Town Meeting

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
What I was wondering was if this was voted on at town meeting rather than during the day at their location. Turnout for town meeting tends to be much lower than when they vote all day long.
It appears Meredith has a traditional town meeting, i.e. elections on a ballot, vote all day (March 12) and the actual meeting was March 13. In traditional town meeting, warrant articles can be amended on the floor, so they can 't be printed in advance for all day voting. In the alternative (SB2), official ballot voting, there would be a deliberative session a month ahead of voting where warrant articles can be amended and then printed for voting in March. In many towns, it turns out that very few people attend the deliberative session and when they show up for all day voting, they are presented with articles determined by a small number of people. One way or another, the people who show up are the ones who influence the final product for voting.
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
Top-Water (03-17-2019)
Old 03-17-2019, 12:32 PM   #47
Top-Water

Quote:
It appears................
Thank you, very clear
Top-Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 02:00 PM   #48
tis

Quote:
It appears Meredith has a traditional town meeting, i.e. elections on a ballot, vote all day (March 12) and the actual meeting was March 13. In traditional town meeting, warrant articles can be amended on the floor, so they can 't be printed in advance for all day voting. In the alternative (SB2), official ballot voting, there would be a deliberative session a month ahead of voting where warrant articles can be amended and then printed for voting in March. In many towns, it turns out that very few people attend the deliberative session and when they show up for all day voting, they are presented with articles determined by a small number of people. One way or another, the people who show up are the ones who influence the final product for voting.
Exactly and as I said above I thought Meredith is a tradition town meeting town rather than SB2. Which means this was voted on at the town meeting at night or on a Saturday, rather than during all day voting. Only a few people attend the traditional town meeting as well as the deliberative session. But I like having more people vote so I prefer the SB2. Even though the articles can be amended at the del. session, they aren't VOTED on at that time and more people turn out for day of actual voting. It's hard enough to get people to take an half hour to vote let alone attend a 3 or 4 hour meeting.
Old 03-17-2019, 02:49 PM   #49
fatlazyless

Default ...... soon-to-be-constructed!

About this here soon-to-be-constructed Meredith DPW home building ..... it seems possible and even likely it will be in use by the Meredith DPW for one hundred years or more.

When considered over its long lifetime of use ..... it seems like it will be a very welcome addition ..... to the town.

Just look at the history of the Meredith Public Library ..... built in 1900-1901 .... expanded bigly in 1985 ..... and very much in use, today!
Old 03-17-2019, 04:26 PM   #50
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

Quote:
Exactly and as I said above I thought Meredith is a tradition town meeting town rather than SB2. Which means this was voted on at the town meeting at night or on a Saturday, rather than during all day voting. Only a few people attend the traditional town meeting as well as the deliberative session. But I like having more people vote so I prefer the SB2. Even though the articles can be amended at the del. session, they aren't VOTED on at that time and more people turn out for day of actual voting. It's hard enough to get people to take an half hour to vote let alone attend a 3 or 4 hour meeting.
At a town of 13,500 I lived in for most of my life (at least the part that has gone by so far) there was a Town Meeting requirement that a minimum number of people had to be present to have a quorum for voting.

There were many nights when we were a few voters short and people got on the phone encouraging other voters to come down to the meeting. Usually, within 20 minutes or so more people would show up and the meeting would begin. The number of voters needed for a quorum was a percentage of the number of people who voted at the last town election so it was a moving target.

It kept special interest groups from packing a lightly attended meeting with supporters to get a favorite article approved.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 05:12 PM   #51
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
At a town of 13,500 I lived in for most of my life (at least the part that has gone by so far) there was a Town Meeting requirement that a minimum number of people had to be present to have a quorum for voting.

There were many nights when we were a few voters short and people got on the phone encouraging other voters to come down to the meeting. Usually, within 20 minutes or so more people would show up and the meeting would begin. The number of voters needed for a quorum was a percentage of the number of people who voted at the last town election so it was a moving target.

It kept special interest groups from packing a lightly attended meeting with supporters to get a favorite article approved.
That's a good idea, but I bet the people they called to come down and vote, were people that they knew would vote WITH THEM!
Old 03-17-2019, 05:18 PM   #52
garysanfran

Quote:
About this here soon-to-be-constructed Meredith DPW home building ..... it seems possible and even likely it will be in use by the Meredith DPW for one hundred years or more.

When considered over its long lifetime of use ..... it seems like it will be a very welcome addition ..... to the town.

Just look at the history of the Meredith Public Library ..... built in 1900-1901 .... expanded bigly in 1985 ..... and very much in use, today!
I can't amortize my expense over 100 years
Old 03-17-2019, 05:44 PM   #53
Rusty

Quote:

Did you attend the Town meeting and and did you vote? If you did plese tell us how how it was run and how people vote.
Old 03-17-2019, 06:15 PM   #54
fatlazyless

No, I wanted to attend, but just went to sleep early, and was think'n that it would most likely get passed, what with the typically low town meeting, voter turnout, except for some of the local resident voters who really supported it.

Put me down as a just another apathetic no-show ..... blah-blah-blah! ..... but, I am very pleased that it got passed ...... and Meredith will be a better, stronger, happier, healthier, wealthier, and safer town for the next hundred years because this new Meredith DPW home building is happening.
Old 03-17-2019, 06:48 PM   #55
Rusty

Quote:
No, I wanted to attend, but just went to sleep early, and was think'n that it would most likely get passed, what with the typically low town meeting, voter turnout, except for some of the local resident voters who really supported it.

Put me down as a just another apathetic no-show ..... blah-blah-blah! ..... but, I am very pleased that it got passed ...... and Meredith will be a better, stronger, happier, healthier, wealthier, and safer town for the next hundred years because this new Meredith DPW home building is happening.
I thought so. Meredith must have a lot of sleepy residents
Old 03-18-2019, 06:41 AM   #56
dpg

Quote:
dog, is this what you are talking about?

"There are a number of safety risks with the current facility, Warren said, making Meredith “the loss leader in slip-and-fall injuries” because there is no wash bay for the trucks. Instead, employees climb to the top of the vehicles to clean them after sand and salt operations, and the runoff from washing them may contain contaminants that reach nearby Hawkins Brook.

The current facility also lacks truck lifts, so workers making undercarriage repairs to the heavy trucks are working under vehicle jacks."

Surely, they could have built a safe building for less than 7.6 million? I am just shocked by this amount.

Sorry, should have said that is from the L. Sun.
Yes it is...
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 12:41 PM   #57
MAXUM

Just to illustrate just how far off the mark that 7.6 million dollar price tag is....

Guarantee you they are not building anything nearly as nice and keep in mind this project was 39,000 SQFT so more than twice the size. Not only that being this was done in Massachusetts you can bet that price is at a premium too. Congratulations to the town of Meredith for an EPIC fail - but who cares the tax payers will just pay for incompetence as usual.

Project Overview
Project Title:HERB CHAMBERS AUDI & PORSCHE DEALERSHIP
Estimated Construction Cost:$5,000,000

Project Location
State:Massachusetts
County:Middlesex
City:Burlington
Address:62 Cambridge St

Project Description:
Auto Dealership Auto Service Bay, Computer, Customer Service, Equipment Storage, Fueling Station, Lobby, Meeting Room, Office[s], Records Storage, Restroom, Sales, Vehicle Parking New 39,020 Sqft Concrete Substructure And Steel Framed Superstructure With A Metal And EIFS Building Envelope. Includes: Concrete Framework, Concrete Flatwork, Concrete Reinforcing, Structural And Misc. Steel, Waterproofing, EPDM Roofing, Insulation, Doors And Hardware, Alluminum Entrances And Storefronts, Gypsum Drywall, Acoustical Ceilings, Flooring And Painting. Fire Protection, Plumbing, HVAC And Electrical.

Last edited by MAXUM; 03-18-2019 at 01:17 PM.
Old 03-18-2019, 12:52 PM   #58
Descant

Default Tyranny of the minority

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post

At the same time, a small number of voters could walk out,and you no longer have a quorum so a particular issue can't be voted on.