Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winni Pets
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 10-06-2012, 05:27 PM   #1
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts
Default My poor cat.....

Came home the other day to find my cat Jumper (10yo) sitting lethargically, drool coming off both sides of his mouth. Rushed him down to Meadow Pond where they told me he had an abscess or something in his jaw. When they touched it let out quite a howl. Scared the crap out of everyone n the room. LOL. Well $800.00 later he had three of his canines removed and two nights at the clinic. So he is home now resting. Not moving much except to eat a little wet food.

Poor old man.....Resting after his ordeal.....

Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:34 PM   #2
tis

Thanked 1,379 Times in 955 Posts

He's a very pretty cat. Feel better Jumper!
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:06 PM   #3
Lakepilot

He's a beautiful cat! I hope he gets better soon.
Lakepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:22 AM   #4
Greene's Basin Girl

Sweet dreams to Jumper. Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:19 AM   #5
PaugusBayFireFighter

Every time I pass the animal hospital in Laconia I cringe, hoping I never have to take one of my cats there, also feeling sadness for those who do. I hope Jumper is having sweet kitty dreams and recovers without delay...Hutch and Harley send kitty karma!
Attached Images

PaugusBayFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2012, 08:20 AM   #6
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Awwww......that's a cute little kitty and lucky to have you looking out for him.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:31 AM   #7
Lakesrider

Yeah we rescued both of our cats from the Ossippee shelter. Jumper had been there a year. Black cats get a bad rap and people don't like to adopt black cats because there are superstition issues . I think black cats are awesome.Except of course when you get up early in the morning and it is dark in the room and you step on them and have a heart attack and,....well....Black cats are cool.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:38 AM   #8
Greene's Basin Girl

My son has a black cat named Maya and my sister has a black cat named Allspice. Maya is a wonderful cat, but Allspice is an attack cat. I guess you can't win them all.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:09 PM   #9
Jumbie98

Jumper must be feeling better! He IS very lucky to have you watching out for him!
Jumbie98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:05 AM   #10
donnamatrix

Default Love Meadow Pond

We took Cosmo in for his annual vet visit, and Dr North was talking about your cat!! She said the poor little guy must have been a a lot of pain with that abcess, because they barely touched him and he screamed. I hope he's feeling so much better today, poor baby.
donnamatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:38 PM   #11
NickNH

What a sweet looking cat...I love black Cats.....have had several including my current 18 YO one Meggie.....

Meadow Pond is great.....glad they made Jumper better!
NickNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:22 PM   #12
Lakesrider

Jumper is doing much better. He came and laid on my chest yesterday when I got home from work and he fell asleep. For a couple days he wanted nothing to do with anyone. But he is having a bit of a time eating out of his bowl. I have to use a flat plate now as he can't seem to pick up his dry food very well out of his regular cat bowl. Maybe in time....?

Cats!
The Following User Says Thank You to Lakesrider For This Useful Post:
NickNH (10-10-2012)
Old 10-11-2012, 06:15 PM   #13
DRH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakesrider View Post
Jumper is doing much better. He came and laid on my chest yesterday when I got home from work and he fell asleep. For a couple days he wanted nothing to do with anyone. But he is having a bit of a time eating out of his bowl. I have to use a flat plate now as he can't seem to pick up his dry food very well out of his regular cat bowl. Maybe in time....?

Cats!
Jumper reminds me a lot of our big black cat "Magic", who we lost last spring. He was old and had become diabetic, and he did not respond to insulin. Glad to know that Jumper is doing better now. He's lucky to have such a caring "owner" (although Jumper probably considers you his "servant", as most cats do!)
Old 10-12-2012, 10:50 AM   #14
Cal

That's why my two Maine Coons get their teeth cleaned and examined as part of their annual check up. Three years ago@ 8 years old, Shadow (the grey one) had a molar removed due to decay before it got abcessed thank goodness
Hope Jumpers feeling better by now!
BTW, black cats are beautiful.
Attached Images

Jumbie98 (10-12-2012)
Old 10-17-2012, 11:28 AM   #15
Lakesrider

Sorry I have not updated....
Jumper had to go back. He had some kind of a piece of bone coming out of one of the sockets of the pulled tooth. So that got infected too. Which is why he was having a hard time eating out of his bowl. I knew something was wrong. For all the talking he dose, I wish it was in English, instead of Meowonise.... Had to put him back under anesthesia and pull it out. We went to pick him up at Meadow Pond at he was still a bit woozy. We watched him stumble around and fall over for a while in the kitchen. But he got his sea legs under him and finally got settled a bit better in about two hours or so. Now we have to give him a liquid antibiotic twice a day via syringe, which he absolutely loves......NOT!
My wife holds him down and I give him the liquid in the mouth. He knows what is coming too as he now he trys to evade us when we start walking toward him together....LOL. Bringing him back in today for a checkup this afternoon if I get home in time from work before they close.
We are at a $1,000.00 now for all this. Taking a chunk out of my vacation money....
Old 10-17-2012, 12:06 PM   #16
Greene's Basin Girl

Poor Jumper. I feel his pain. I also feel your pain as your wallet is getting lighter.
Why did you have to pay more money when you brought him in again? It sounds like they didn't correctly finish the job the first time.
Old 10-17-2012, 03:28 PM   #17
NickNH

Jumpers problem sounds just like the one I had when I had my Wisdom Teeth out years ago...there was a bone chip that lined up EXACTLY with my jaw bone so it was completely invisible on the xrays when I developed an abcess in that area. The abcess was cleared out with antibiotics but it was MONTHS later that the stupid bone chip finally worked it's way out.....so I feel his pain!!
NickNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:40 PM   #18
Lakesrider

Went in today with him and he seems to be finally on the road to well being. All looked good but still on antibiotics for the next 5 days. Always fun force feeding a syringe into a cats mouth when it doesn't want anything to do with it.....
Old 10-18-2012, 07:58 AM   #19
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakesrider View Post
Went in today with him and he seems to be finally on the road to well being. All looked good but still on antibiotics for the next 5 days. Always fun force feeding a syringe into a cats mouth when it doesn't want anything to do with it.....
A few years ago one of our cats was acting really strange. Took him to the vet eventually, and they found a broken tooth with the nerve ending exposed. Poor guy must have been hurting, as he is a big fat cat, and he could barely eat.
Well the vet took care of it, and he is back to being fat and happy now. Been there, done that with the syringe. Glad to hear Jumper is doing better!
Old 10-23-2012, 07:16 AM   #20
Lakesrider

Default Update!

Jumper is doing much, much better. Ever since we got him he had bad breath. After these last two weeks and having his teeth removed his breath is almost non-existent. I feel bad as the poor cat was probably hurting the entire time we have had him since getting him at the shelter last October.

At least his back to his chipper 11-12 year old self. And does not try to bite anyone anymore. I really think he was hurting all the time and that is why he was so cranky....My wife wanted to know if my teeth were hurting? I wonder what she means?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lakesrider For This Useful Post:
Jumbie98 (10-23-2012), Newbiesaukee (10-24-2012), NickNH (10-23-2012), riverat (10-25-2012)