Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2017, 08:30 PM   #1
greeleyhill

Default Naswa Review

Visited the Naswa today for a late lunch. We've been on the lake for 5 years now and have always wanted to try it our but never did. We were expecting a honky-tonk kind of experience (which is why it took us 5 years to try) but it was much different than that. The atmosphere was great. There were several dock attendants ready to help when we arrived. It seemed all the slips were taken but an attendant waived us into a slip that was in the rear and out of site - that was nice. She helped us tie up and was very pleasant. We found a table at the end, on the beach, right on the water. It was seat yourself which suited us fine. Not many open tables but a few to choose from. We ordered a plate of nachos (which came with our meals...not what we wanted) and then sandwiches, my wife got a salad. The service was somewhat slow but we were in no rush so again, fine. The food was just ok. Not bad but just ok. I got a lobster roll for $19.99 and it came with a good amount of lobster but I found it a bit dry. It's lobster so afterall...it can't be that bad. My wife got a simple caprese salad with Chicken - which was just ok. Something you can make a home just as well. The kids got chicken sandwiches which were good. All in all - we would go back. Just dial back you expectations on food quality and you'll be fine. Not complaining at all. We will go back. Service was good - a little slow but good.
greeleyhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 09:39 PM   #2
sledneck

I went there for lunch with the family last Thursday and Friday by boat. Dock hand was great. If it weren't for him the guy that pulled in at the same exact time (literally the guy couldn't wait) into the open dockspace DIRECTLY BESIDE US, he would have taken out our boat and the entire far left side docks. Yikes. Anyway, the nachos we're awesome as usual, had a great chicken sandwich and service was awesome.
sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 07:47 AM   #3
RTTOOL
Banned

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledneck View Post
I went there for lunch with the family last Thursday and Friday by boat. Dock hand was great. If it weren't for him the guy that pulled in at the same exact time (literally the guy couldn't wait) into the open dockspace DIRECTLY BESIDE US, he would have taken out our boat and the entire far left side docks. Yikes. Anyway, the nachos we're awesome as usual, had a great chicken sandwich and service was awesome.
WE have not been there for years SO glad they steped up there FOOD game.

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK
RTTOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 02:35 PM   #4
jsn

My husband and I had lunch at the NASWA beach bar last week. The food was terrible, however the service was great. The Blue Bistro, upstairs is much better.
jsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 10:25 PM   #5
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Every once in awhile

Can't say I'm a regular, but the Nazbar is consistent and I go back. Great docking and dock assistants. Good bar and food as expected. Yes, if I wanted gourmet, I'd put on my tux and go someplace else. To go out by boat for lunch. early dinner, the Nazbar is tops. Nice places near public docks are harder to get into the docks and the food etc is no better. Take the easy route and go Nazbar.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-2017, 01:24 PM   #6
Wolfeboro_Baja

A word of caution about the dock attendants.

First of all, when you're docking, they are helpful to have around.

I haven't been this year but did go last year for supper one Sunday evening. On that visit, when we got back to our boat to leave, there was an significant amount of beach sand on our boat that wasn't there when we left it to go eat. There were no dock attendants around to ask about it.

I didn't say anything then as we had friends to drop off and needed to get going but if it happens the next time we go, someone's going to hear about it. There was no need for anyone to be on our boat while we were eating and to have them on it, AND track on that much sand, did NOT make me happy. I have enough trouble keeping the boat clean and didn't need all of that sand, not to mention what might have been scratched depending on where they stepped.

Otherwise, when we do go, we've always enjoyed the atmosphere. You're not going there for gourmet food but people should already know that up front. It's casual and relaxing with decent drinks and food.
Old 08-28-2017, 01:38 PM   #7
Woodsy

Baja...

At the Naswa they raft off the boats that park on the outside dock fingers... So if others rafted off your boat, that's probably where the sand came from.

Woodsy
Old 08-28-2017, 04:29 PM   #8
Wolfeboro_Baja

No, that wasn't it. I was tied up between dock fingers. They had asked me if I would mind rafting and I said yes, I do mind. It was courteous of them to ask beforehand; I would have been really ticked off if they just went ahead and did that without asking.

Personally, I never raft with other boats, there's too much opportunity for damage. Fenders don't always stay in place and gelcoat is expensive to repair.

I'll admit I've made some poor choices when handling my boat that resulted in cosmetic damage which I had promptly repaired;I don't need anyone else helping me with that.
Old 08-28-2017, 05:47 PM   #9
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,146 Times in 893 Posts

I have found the dock attendants to be extremely helpful. They are quick to help anyone who docks there.

There are several signs at the NASWA that say "All boats subject to moving and rafting". As we all know, there are many people on the water that struggle to dock a boat. Many times I have seen the dock attendants jump on boats to keep other boats from hitting them.

It is impossible to know what happened. Maybe the person docking opposite your boat was going to hit your boat and they jumped onto yours to push them off. I will take a little sand any day over a fiberglass repair! In that case, if "someone's going to hear about it" maybe a sincere "thank you" would be in order.

In the future, if you go to the NASWA more than once every two years I am sure you will learn to appreciate the very helpful dock attendants and, in turn, they will get to know you and appreciate your gratuity.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 06:32 AM   #10
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
I have found the dock attendants to be extremely helpful. They are quick to help anyone who docks there.

There are several signs at the NASWA that say "All boats subject to moving and rafting". As we all know, there are many people on the water that struggle to dock a boat. Many times I have seen the dock attendants jump on boats to keep other boats from hitting them.

It is impossible to know what happened. Maybe the person docking opposite your boat was going to hit your boat and they jumped onto yours to push them off. I will take a little sand any day over a fiberglass repair! In that case, if "someone's going to hear about it" maybe a sincere "thank you" would be in order.

In the future, if you go to the NASWA more than once every two years I am sure you will learn to appreciate the very helpful dock attendants and, in turn, they will get to know you and appreciate your gratuity.
I had a friend that took us out on his boat once and he made us take our boat shoes off and wash our feet off. ONCE was enough of that! A little sand in my boat is expected, you clean it when you're done boating. If you have to worry about getting the boat dirty every time you go out in it then you might as well go boating by yourself.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 08:19 AM   #11
Winnisquamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
I had a friend that took us out on his boat once and he made us take our boat shoes off and wash our feet off. ONCE was enough of that! A little sand in my boat is expected, you clean it when you're done boating. If you have to worry about getting the boat dirty every time you go out in it then you might as well go boating by yourself.
I don't like shoes on my boat... Pretty standard etiquette, I have a friend who always says "but they're boat shoes" and when I own a yacht I'll allow them, until then no shoes on my bow rider.

I also don't think it's crazy to ask that people clean their feet if they've walked through mud/ duck crap etc. it saves a ton of time cleaning when the boats kept clean to begin with, more time on the water less time cleaning.
Winnisquamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 08:22 AM   #12
Doobs41378

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnisquamer View Post
I don't like shoes on my boat... Pretty standard etiquette, I have a friend who always says "but they're boat shoes" and when I own a yacht I'll allow them, until then no shoes on my bow rider.

I also don't think it's crazy to ask that people clean their feet if they've walked through mud/ duck crap etc. it saves a ton of time cleaning when the boats kept clean to begin with, more time on the water less time cleaning.

I ask that no black bottom shoes go on the boat and in reality I'd like no shoes on it but I do not ask people to remove them if they have them on.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Doobs41378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 08:31 AM   #13
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobs41378 View Post
I ask that no black bottom shoes go on the boat and in reality I'd like no shoes on it but I do not ask people to remove them if they have them on.

I don't either and I hate to clean my boat but, just like your car or your house, they get dirty and you have to clean it or pay someone to do it. That's the price of owning a boat. Having your friends and family aboard is the reason I have a boat. When boating becomes more of a chore than having fun, it's time to get rid of it.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 08:58 AM   #14
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Boat shoes

are fine. Sneakers tend to leave a streak mark and depending on the sole carry sand onto the boat and or scratch the gunwales.

I always check the passengers shoes and ask to be removed if I feel they may damage or dirty the boat. I never had lip.

Sandals or flip flops are a no no. Very unsafe in wet conditions. There is a certain brand that has a metal insert in the sole so they can be use as a bottle opener, a huge taboo!

Believe it! I had women trying to go boating in high heels. Sorry honey!
Old 08-29-2017, 11:42 AM   #15
Doobs41378

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
are fine. Sneakers tend to leave a streak mark and depending on the sole carry sand onto the boat and or scratch the gunwales.

I always check the passengers shoes and ask to be removed if I feel they may damage or dirty the boat. I never had lip.

Sandals or flip flops are a no no. Very unsafe in wet conditions. There is a certain brand that has a metal insert in the sole so they can be use as a bottle opener, a huge taboo!

Believe it! I had women trying to go boating in high heels. Sorry honey!

Those are Reefs. I have a pair on now

Doobs41378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 12:38 PM   #16
Reilly

Default Shoes

Quote:
I totally agree, probably no ice cream or food on the boat either ? & Heaven Forbid if someone used the Porta poti, or swam & got it wet 😆😆😆😆😆
Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 05:47 PM   #17
GeoBarb11

Starting to sound like a bunch of golfers. One of the big reasons I quit playing that game!

GeoBarb11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 07:23 PM   #18
Outdoorsman

Quote:
I don't either and I hate to clean my boat but, just like your car or your house, they get dirty and you have to clean it or pay someone to do it. That's the price of owning a boat. Having your friends and family aboard is the reason I have a boat. When boating becomes more of a chore than having fun, it's time to get rid of it.
This right here.

I prefer to go barefoot, but I do not make my guests do the same.
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 05:55 AM   #19
Pontoon Goon

Default Hit the nail on the head

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoBarb11 View Post
Starting to sound like a bunch of golfers. One of the big reasons I quit playing that game!

I really get you. When people are on my golf course I insist they go barefoot.
Pontoon Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 10:36 AM   #20
ApS

Question Boat or Cat...

Just like a cat, a boat can own you!

Old 08-30-2017, 11:55 AM   #21
GeoBarb11

Yup. A boat and the friends it draws should be enjoyed without causing more stress over the little things

GeoBarb11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 09:37 PM   #22
sledneck

Had a great lunch and drinks with the family at the NAZWA over the weekend. Other than dodging the idiots in the no wake zone through the channel we had a great time.
sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 07:54 AM   #23
Patofnaud

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledneck View Post
Other than dodging the idiots in the no wake zone through the channel
My wife coined a term for them, NAZholes.

NAZholes are the guys coming toward you on your port side through the NWZ who decide to turn to port across your bow and make a beeline at the NAZWAR without regard to who they cut off.
Patofnaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 09:45 AM   #24
Blyblvrd

What's the protocol for wanting to turn left in front of channel traffic like this? I had to do it a few weeks ago taking my family to brunch at Bistro (it was great BTW and although extremely busy they were very clear what our wait time would be). I waited until there was a gap that I could make it through and tried to signal the next oncoming boat I was turning left. No issues happened and I made it through without the other boat even slowing down (I think), however I still felt like I was doing something wrong. I was lucky to find a gap in boat traffic to use, if not I'm not sure what I would do. Go past all the traffic and circle back to the NAZ with the oncoming traffic?

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Blyblvrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 12:28 PM   #25
Patofnaud

If the NASwa was at Thurston's it would be the only way to cut over, but in front of NASwa/Channel Marine, it's wide enough of a couple dozen boats rail to rail.

The easiest thing to do is get to the middle, slow down let folks go around and then do the turn when there is space. It's the folks who do this long drifting turn to port while counting spaces at the docks oblivious to oncoming that is a pain in the bow.
Patofnaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 12:41 PM   #26
Resident 2B

Maybe it is time for another traffic circle. Look at how well it worked at "disfunction junction".
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 12:43 PM   #27
Phantom

Quite simple actually -- unless you run across a couple of oncoming boneheads --- but generally, everyone knows what your attempting -- all they want & I would too is-- "get er done" and don't disrupt traffic.............

At the Naz end of the channel boats are typically still 2-4 wide jockeying for position for the choke point where single file in necessary -- I find it easier to cut across further up Channel when they are down to only 2 wide.

Alternatively, swinging across near the entrance buoy is also proven itself well.

Old 09-07-2017, 06:58 AM   #28
Blyblvrd

Thanks everyone!

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Blyblvrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 07:13 AM   #29
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Put on your blinkah and turn!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 09:07 AM   #30
Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
Put on your blinkah and turn!
These new boats now come with EVERYTHING .............

Dayum - I still have one of 'em old fashion boats..... told the misses we needed to trade ours

Old 09-12-2017, 01:11 PM   #31
SIKSUKR

Here ya go.
Attached Images

Old 09-12-2017, 02:52 PM   #32
Phantom

I'm going .... Ova there !
Attached Images