Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating > Boat Repairs & Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-12-2014, 07:12 AM   #1
jetlag100

Default New Boat Cover

Has anyone used Moultonborough Canvas for new boat covers? Are there other good companies on the lake besides them? Need to re-do to whole boat. (18 foot bow rider) Thanks in advance for any input.........
jetlag100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:14 AM   #2
AmantiDelLago

Default Ship Shape Marineworks

We used Ship Shape in Gilford. Very happy with both the covers and price. Real good people too.
AmantiDelLago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:38 AM   #3
ishoot308

Thanked 4,942 Times in 1,917 Posts
Default Canvas Guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag100 View Post
Has anyone used Moultonborough Canvas for new boat covers? Are there other good companies on the lake besides them? Need to re-do to whole boat. (18 foot bow rider) Thanks in advance for any input.........
The "Canvas Guys" in Gilford do some amazing work at very reasonable prices.

Dan
Old 06-12-2014, 09:32 AM   #4
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,002 Times in 915 Posts

Another vote for the Canvas Guys in Gilford.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:42 AM   #5
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

I have some neighbors that have used Moultonboro Canvas, and the seem to be good quality and have lasted a decent amount of time...

My recommendation however it to go to Village Canvas in Meredith. Bev has done several covers for us over the years. And the work is always top notch. He has even modified a factory covers for me to fit better.... As a matter of fact, should I decide to keep my boat vs. trading it this year for something newer, I plan to have Village canvas make me a new Bow Cover. As the old one has deteriorated to the point that it needs to be replaced.
Old 06-12-2014, 10:21 AM   #6
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Tom's Top and Trim

The marinas use Tom for canvas and seat repairs. He uses top of the line canvasses and materials as well as threads. Very reasonably priced.

He is located near Martel's Bait Shop on Winnisquam.
Old 06-12-2014, 10:39 AM   #7
DickR

Default House calls?

I am need of having the original front cover of my 1997 boat replaced. I have been under the impression that I would have to do one the following:

1. Trailer the boat to the shop and leave it for days - a week, something best done at the end of the season when I have to pull the boat anyway or before launch in the spring.

2. Take the existing cover to the shop and hope that a new cover with snaps that fit exactly can be made from the existing top, without having the boat on hand. Then if it rains before I get the new top back, the boat gets wet.

But I wonder if any of the shops do "house calls," making up the new top with hemmed edges in the shop using a good template made by the owner from the old top, then custom-fitting the snaps on site to get an exact fit. Is this realistic or unworkable?
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 10:48 AM   #8
AC2717

Bev from village canvas has offered to meet me at the Meredith docks, I took him up on the offer, as I do not have a trailer
Great guy, fast great work
Old 06-12-2014, 10:49 AM   #9
Greene's Basin Girl

I would definitely recommend Ship Shape Marineworks in Gilford. They made individual seat covers for our pontoon boat and they are so easy to put on. They also just made a small cover for the console on my Sea-Doo. I no longer feel that I have to cover the entire PWC. I want to keep the sun and moisture away from my console area.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 07:24 PM   #10
jetlag100

Thanks for all the great advice...have already been in touch with all of these Co.....and now to pick one...
jetlag100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 08:10 AM   #11
Orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
My recommendation however it to go to Village Canvas in Meredith. Bev has done several covers for us over the years. And the work is always top notch. He has even modified a factory covers for me to fit better.... As a matter of fact, should I decide to keep my boat vs. trading it this year for something newer, I plan to have Village canvas make me a new Bow Cover. As the old one has deteriorated to the point that it needs to be replaced.
I'll second the Village Canvas recommendation. I've had several custom tops made and work is excellent.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 05:58 AM   #12
fatlazyless

Default .... boat cover made in Ashland?

Based more on a low price, than an excellent quality, who's got the low price for a cover that is still pretty good quality? My Village Canvas-Meredith cover for my 16' outboard boat was made in 1992 and it still gets it done, but it is looking shabby and could really use a new cover. Every two years, I hit it with another roll-on gallon coat of $13 Wal-Mart silicone waterproofer. Remember it cost about $600 in 1992, and I know that the Tilton Wal-Mart has on-the-shelf covers for something like $75 for a boat like mine.

There's a boat cover shop in Ashland named Kimbell Canvas or Kimbell Boat Covers or something, that's on a narrow, tree-lined dirt driveway, down off Route 25 just below Little Squam Lake on the Squam River which is probably in a different economic area than Lake Winnipesaukee because it seems like everything in Ashland cost less ..... especially the real estate .... will stop at Kimbell's and let you know the price for a 16' custom-side console-Sunbrella cover job made in Ashland, the geographic center by location of New Hampshire.

...oops....here we go.... www.kimbelldesigns.com ....gotta love the internet! ...say-hey...click on winter gear and check out the winter hats made out of coyote, beaver, and wolf fur ..... so's ...how much for a 16' boat cover made out of beaver fur??? ....who will be first on Winnipesaukee to get a beaver boat cover for their jetski?

Last edited by fatlazyless; 06-26-2014 at 06:38 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote