Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating > Boat Repairs & Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-15-2018, 09:15 AM   #1
AC2717

Default 20HP Envinrude with OMC Controls Issue/Question

Hi Guys,
i have a very healthy 87 Evinrude 20HP 2stroke with OMC controls on the back of my little putt-putt/fisher. It runs smooth so this is more of a throttle control issue.

Putting the boat in gear it goes in just fine forward and reverse as soon as the shifter clicks forward or reverse. The issue is when I go to accelerate the throttle is only responsive at like 3/4ths the way forward and the same backward, and at 3/4th the way i get a small increase in power, and then the rest of the way it appears to be wide open. At the same time there is some play in the handle back and forth until rpms kick in at the 3/4th point.

I am guessing i need a cable adjustment or maybe even a new cable. - i do believe there is almost no adjustment left on the throttle and honestly i can repair many things, but I do not want to play with the throttle, rather have someone do it, hey maybe I can pay a forum member to take a look - beer sound good??? lol just kidding, i can pay the greenbacks

I have operated it this way for about 3 years now as it hadn't really bothered me, but I wanted to start to venture out further with it and my daughter has started to operate it more.

Thoughts on this? or need a better description let me know.