Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Diving Winnipesaukee
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-26-2012, 08:22 AM   #1
oldflounder

Default Ice Dive Training before ice-in 2012/2013

I will be proposing this again as the season gets nearer but I just want to put the suggestion out there and see if there is any response. I wanted to take the ice diving course last year but as you know Mother Nature was kind to us and we had an easy winter.

From my observation and limited experience with ice diving conditions and the classes - I don't think much hands on training gets done during the 3 or 4 days of class. At the end of classroom training many jump in the water for the first time in 2 months, with oftentimes a rented drysuit and a summer mask. You go down into a 6' hole with an insta-buddy, swim out 25' under the ice and get reeled back in. Then the next day you go in again for a few minutes and practice search/rescue drills.

This is fine and I have no problem with it. You pay your $175 and you learn the basics of ice diving. But you are not that comfortable with it and it may be the only ice diving you ever do. Many of us just want the card for the prestige.

Wouldn't the class be much more rewarding if you could practice the skills beforehand in comfort - in a 3mm wetsuit or even a bathing suit - in 66 degree water - standing on the deck of a boat feeding out the line to the divers [who are actually enjoying the experience and not half terrified, expecting a freeflow at any second].

I want to practice the skills this fall/early winter at Wolfeboro and Ctr. Harbor Town Docks. I'm not looking for buddies yet, but I will be as summer wears on and I get some extra free time on my hands and can get away from the ocean.

Stay tuned --- this thread will be continued in the months ahead.......Joe
The Following User Says Thank You to oldflounder For This Useful Post:
SharkBaitDiving (06-27-2012)