Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Outdoor Recreation
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2013, 09:52 AM   #1
bigdog

Default Shotgun choice/recommendations?

Plannig to purchase a shotgun, most likely new.

Was thinking about 2 possible selections and would like Forum feedback

Remington Model 870
Mosseberg 500

Looking for field grade, nothing fancy, probably synthectic/cammo stock.
Basically a work-horse, withing reach of my budget.
Pump versus automatic?

Want felxibility to use for bird/deer.

26" barrel versus 28" barrel ?
or maybe interchangable barrels? Thoughts about this?

Was thinging my best chioce may be the Rem. 870 Express Super Mag ?

Concerned about negative feedback about Mossberg, b/c what I've read, folks thought this to be a cheaply made gun, compared to Remington?

Thoughts and feedback appreciated.

Bigdog
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:34 AM   #2
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

There are a lot of police as well as military applications of the Mossberg so it can’t be all that bad. Of course the military version is an upgrade of the 500. The main complaint I have heard on the 500 is the alloy rather than a steel receiver. I don’t really see this as an issue.

We have a 500 field/home combo that has both a 28” barrel with screw in chokes and a 18.5” fixed cylinder (open) barrel. The only reason for us picking the 500 vs the 870 was the feel of the gun and the location of the tang safety. The safety location is the same as on our target shotguns that we shoot on a regular basis.

My opinion is that either pump is just fine. Go to where both are available and see what feels good to you. As for pump vs auto for a workhorse shotgun, the pump will work every time but the auto may not live up to that. That said, the new Beretta A400 series shotguns are worth a look.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:31 AM   #3
boat_guy64

Default remington 870

I have 2 870s. One is the black synthetic stock and the other is a wood stock. I bought both with two barrels as it was much cheaper than adding a barrel later (One for bird shot and the other for slugs) The shot barrels have screw in chokes so you can change them to be multi-purpose. On the slug barrels, one has open iron sights and the other is cantilevered for a scope. A nice leupold scope and that gun is very accurate. At 50 yards it is as good as my .308 and close to it at 100 yards. They are great guns and I've had no issues with them. I think that I like the black synthetic stock better as it seems to be less prone to scratching, etc.
boat_guy64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:50 PM   #4
MikeF-NH

I have used both and both a very capable field guns. I would recommend checking the used gun inventory at Kittery Trading Post (online) as these are very common guns and they most likely have one or two of each in fine shape.

You won't need interchangeable barrels because both of these guns come with "choke tubes" which screw into the business end of the barrel and have tubes for all common choke options.

If you have a choice between barrels (26 or 28 inch) think about your application. If you are hunting mostly waterfowl or turkey, you would probably go with the longer barrel. If you are hunting upland birds, the shorter barrel is much easier to carry, mount and swing in thick woods. Either barrel will provide service for all applications.

If you are going to use it for deer, you may want to get a slug barrel as an optional barrel as these have sights rather than just beads and rifling inside rather than just smooth bore. Can you shoot deer with the standard vent rib barrel? Yes! But having sights is a better idea. Both also have options for mounting optics (scope or holo-sight) if you are going to go after deer.

If you find all things equal on these two guns. Go for the one that goes to your shoulder most naturally...that is an individual choice. Nobody can tell you what feels good to YOU. While at the store, pick a spot high on the wall and take the gun from your waist to your shoulder with your eyes closed. Open them. If you are looking right down the vent rib without having to lift or lower your head to see down the barrel at your target...that is a good fit for you. Weight is the last consideration. Taken from experience: carrying an extra half pound in the woods all day gets tiring...If you are going to carry this for "hours"...buy the lighter gun.
MikeF-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeF-NH For This Useful Post:
secondcurve (02-19-2013)
Old 02-19-2013, 01:06 PM   #5
NHWakesurfer

You can't go wrong with either brand. Like someone else mentioned I'd go to a store that had both and see which one feels better. Personally I like the Mossberg with the safety on top. Also I prefer the pump vs Auto. The pump always works.
NHWakesurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2013, 02:01 PM   #6
codeman671

I have 2 Benelli Nova pumps, an 870 Express Mag and an 870 Tactical. Each has its purpose and location to me. I agree that pump is the way to go. I like the 3.5" capability of the Benelli's as well as the fit and finish. Overall none of mine get much use. I have not owned a Mossberg so I cannot speak to them.

I looked into converting my wood stock 870 Express Mag into a composite stock and adding the tube extender and a shorter barrel, but by the time I bought all the parts to do it, it was easier to go buy the new, complete gun I wanted.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:26 PM   #7
bigdog

Default Shotgun choice/recommendations?

Thanks everyone for your great suggestions.

I will remember all this when making m selection.

Bigdog
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:31 PM   #8
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts
Default on-line search

You can search used guns at Kittery:
http://www.ktpguns.com/
several 500s and several 870s on the rack.

You can also search used guns at Skip's:
http://www.nhskip.com/
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote