Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-05-2013, 09:16 AM   #1
JMR

Default Perseid Meteor shower-Aug. 11-12

The Perseid meteor shower will be this coming weekend. There is a special permitted hike to the top of Mount Major at 5pm to view the meteors and return the next morning. Apparently this year is supposed to be quite impressive. There are media stories about the special hike. I will try to find the link
JMR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JMR For This Useful Post:
Just Sold (08-05-2013), rgilfert (08-09-2013)
Old 08-05-2013, 09:30 AM   #2
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,002 Times in 915 Posts
Default More info

I received this from the Belkap Range Conservation Coalition:

Quote:
Overnight Wilderness Event on Mt Major Summit:

To View Meteor Shower and Sunrise

A local scientist, outdoorsman and avid amateur astronomer hopes to share a night of shooting stars and a spectacular mountaintop sunrise with the public Aug. 11 as part of an overnight adventure atop Mt. Major near Alton, N.H. The group plans to start their climb around 5:30 p.m., stay overnight to view the Perseid Meteor Shower—one of the brightest and most spectacular displays of the year--and then descend in the morning after viewing the rising of the sun over Lake Winnipesaukee. The organizer, Dr. Rex T Gallagher of Hampton, N.H., has obtained a permit for the event from the State Of New Hampshire, Dept. of Resources & Economic Development, Division of Forests & Lands.

The evening will feature talks by local astronomy and wilderness experts on celestial objects in the sky, life out in the universe, and other interesting relevant cosmos-related and wilderness topics. Participants will also get a chance to look through a telescope at interesting sky objects until 2am onwards when the group will turn their eyes skyward to observe the peak of Perseid Meteor Shower. Most years viewers can expect to see upwards of 80, perhaps 100 meteors per hour.

Speakers include John Gianforte: scientist, experienced astronomer and a regular contributor on NH Public Television and NH Public Radio, science writer and teacher; Ted Blank: amateur geologist, software engineer, avid astronomer; Mary Ellen Humphrey : former NH state senator and author, who after hiking Mt Major over 350 times, is working on a memoir about her hiking experience titled "Thoughting & Plotting Mount Major: and Dr. Rex Gallagher: scientist, nature lover, adventurer and amateur astronomer. Additional speakers to be announced. Dr. John (‘Jay’) Kaminski, MD, a primary care physician and experienced wilderness person, will be at the summit overnight.

All participants must register and sign a liability waiver at the Mt. Major trail head (clearly signposted, directly off Route 11, Alton, NH) on the day of event and must be over 18 years of age and have hiking experience and essential items for hiking and staying out in the open overnight. All participants must have a bright flashlight, preferably a headlamp. Also, no campfires are permitted on the summit or the mountain. A major resource regarding hiking in the wilderness may be found on the Internet at www.hikesafe.com. The site lists “Ten Essential Items on Any Hiking Trip’, outlines the ‘Hiker Responsibility Code’, and provides useful information about hiking.

Mt Major is the second most popular Mountain visited in New Hampshire, receiving approx. 80,000 visitors per year. One of the principle reasons is the reward for the 1 hour plus hike (faster for the experienced!) to the summit: a magnificent panoramic view of Lake Winnipesaukee and nearby and distant mountain ranges. Please see YouTube: “Everybody Hikes Mt Major."

The mountain itself is owned by private property holders, the State owns the summit and trailhead. All participants are reminded to treat the trails and surrounding property with respect; access to the summit via the designated trails is graciously provided by the property owners. Of interest is the on-going Belknap Campaign, being led by the SPNHF (Society for the Protection of New Hampshire Forests), the LRCT (Lakes Region Conservation Trust), and the BRCC (Belknap Range Conservation Coalition). These three groups are seeking to conserve nearly 1000 acres in the Belknap Range in 2013, including trails to the summit of Mt Major. See: www.forestsociety.org/mtmajor-belknaps

For additional information, links, updates, status, go-no-go decision on the day itself (Sunday, Aug. 11) please visit Facebook mtmajormeteor or write to Dr. Gallagher at mtmajormeteor@gmail.com.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
Just Sold (08-05-2013), SteveA (08-09-2013)
Old 08-08-2013, 09:31 PM   #3
chachee52

Someone told me that the Mount was doing a special cruise this weekend to watch the showers. They thought they heard that it might anchor out in the broads somewhere and just sit there.
I know I will probably be out on my boat enjoying them. I try to get out every year, some years I just watch from Big Pier, but there's nothing like being on the boat to watch them
chachee52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:41 AM   #4
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,054 Times in 497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chachee52 View Post
Someone told me that the Mount was doing a special cruise this weekend to watch the showers. They thought they heard that it might anchor out in the broads somewhere and just sit there.
I know I will probably be out on my boat enjoying them. I try to get out every year, some years I just watch from Big Pier, but there's nothing like being on the boat to watch them
I'll be on Big Pier for sure! Perfect spot to set up the tripod!