Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2020, 11:56 AM   #1
map

Default Filing for Unemployment

My son is having a hard time understanding how to file after being temporarily laid off. He went on line on Friday evening and filed since everyone, including me, told him to file right away. He said there were a lot of confusing questions but he got through it, indicated that Friday the 28th was his last day, and then when it got to the last screen it gave him a claim #. But the thing is at that point it "said" he was filing for 3/22 which of course he was not! It said you are always filing for the week before. Then it said he has to file weekly- he thinks. It is saying he has to file again this week- for last week- well- he worked last week!

And here is some verbiage from the FAQ's on the website, making it seem more confusing. I couldn't not help him. Judging from comments on the state's Facebook page people are having an awful time trying to file.

How and When Do I File A Claim?
A. This is the first claim you file after becoming unemployed, your first claim in a Benefit Year. It is not a request for compensation, but it serves as a notice to the Department and your employer that you may claim benefits.
You must register and file your initial claim application over the Internet. Your claim is effective the Sunday of the calendar week in which it is opened. To be timely to claim the week in which you last worked, you must file your initial claim within 3 (three) business days of your last day worked.

But then it says:

You must file no later than the last day of the first week for which you wish to file for benefits.

I've Just Been Laid Off. What do I do?

A. If you have lost your job or had your hours of work reduced, file a new claim or reopen an existing claim via the Internet at our web site or visit the nearest NH Employment Security office to file your claim on a computer in our Resource Center. Open your claim during the week your hours are reduced or, if you became unemployed from full-time work on Thursday or Friday, open your claim on Sunday or Monday. If you live in another State and your last employment was in New Hampshire, you may file your claim over the Internet. If you do not have access to the Internet or need language assistance, you may call 1-800-266-2252 to speak to a Customer Service Representative during business hours (Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.).

Well you can see the contradictions here. Of course, this is only on the FAQ page. I do not know what was in the instructions when he was filing.

He started the claim on the same day which was his last day worked (so he filed within the 3 business days of the last day worked it said to as per above) and he did indicate it was his last day. But why does it say "To be timely to claim the week in which you last worked"? I mean why would someone claim a week that they last worked? Shouldn't it be the 1st week you DID NOT work?

You get what I am saying here?

Anyway- I am thinking he should just keep filing each week. Worse comes to worse they will deny the w/e 3/22 and 3/28- which they should since he worked- and then eventually approve his claim for w/e 4/3 and going forward.

I admit I am not very bright, but I am not totally stupid. How to people with less intellect get through all this? The offices are closed so you can only do it on line or on the phone- good luck getting through. They are now rationing on line claims and phone calls via the first letter of your last name.

My son has already had it. I do not know what to advise him either.
map is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 12:50 PM   #2
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by map View Post
My son is having a hard time understanding how to file after being temporarily laid off. He went on line on Friday evening and filed since everyone, including me, told him to file right away. He said there were a lot of confusing questions but he got through it, indicated that Friday the 28th was his last day, and then when it got to the last screen it gave him a claim #. But the thing is at that point it "said" he was filing for 3/22 which of course he was not! It said you are always filing for the week before. Then it said he has to file weekly- he thinks. It is saying he has to file again this week- for last week- well- he worked last week!

And here is some verbiage from the FAQ's on the website, making it seem more confusing. I couldn't not help him. Judging from comments on the state's Facebook page people are having an awful time trying to file.

A. This is the first claim you file after becoming unemployed, your first claim in a Benefit Year. It is not a request for compensation, but it serves as a notice to the Department and your employer that you may claim benefits.
You must register and file your initial claim application over the Internet. Your claim is effective the Sunday of the calendar week in which it is opened. To be timely to claim the week in which you last worked, you must file your initial claim within 3 (three) business days of your last day worked.

But then it says:

You must file no later than the last day of the first week for which you wish to file for benefits.

A. If you have lost your job or had your hours of work reduced, file a new claim or reopen an existing claim via the Internet at our web site or visit the nearest NH Employment Security office to file your claim on a computer in our Resource Center. Open your claim during the week your hours are reduced or, if you became unemployed from full-time work on Thursday or Friday, open your claim on Sunday or Monday. If you live in another State and your last employment was in New Hampshire, you may file your claim over the Internet. If you do not have access to the Internet or need language assistance, you may call 1-800-266-2252 to speak to a Customer Service Representative during business hours (Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.).

Well you can see the contradictions here. Of course, this is only on the FAQ page. I do not know what was in the instructions when he was filing.

He started the claim on the same day which was his last day worked (so he filed within the 3 business days of the last day worked it said to as per above) and he did indicate it was his last day. But why does it say "To be timely to claim the week in which you last worked"? I mean why would someone claim a week that they last worked? Shouldn't it be the 1st week you DID NOT work?

Anyway- I am thinking he should just keep filing each week. Worse comes to worse they will deny the w/e 3/22 and 3/28- which they should since he worked- and then eventually approve his claim for w/e 4/3 and going forward.

I admit I am not very bright, but I am not totally stupid. How to people with less intellect get through all this? The offices are closed so you can only do it on line or on the phone- good luck getting through. They are now rationing on line claims and phone calls via the first letter of your last name.

It sure does seem confusing, especially if you are the one (or a family member) trying to navigate. Anxiety will make that even worse.

I do not work for the Govt, this is just my take-away from what you posted....

Take the first bolded statement you posted....

To be timely to claim the week in which you last worked, you must file your initial claim within 3 (three) business days of your last day worked.

If he did that, he SHOULD be all set. He should be eligible for UE from day one of his UE date.

Now skip ahead to your 3rd bolded statement
if you became unemployed from full-time work on Thursday or Friday, open your claim on Sunday or Monday.

Sounds like he did that too. IMO it is looking good so far.

Now, looking at your second bolded statement. If you consider this as a separate concern, again, he should be all set because he has filed within the guidelines that UE has set.

The first week is his first week unemployed. If he files BEFORE the last day of that week, he should be on track for weekly benefits provided he continues to file on a weekly basis.

I do not work for DES, just my take on this post as i read it.
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Outdoorsman For This Useful Post:
map (03-30-2020)
Old 03-29-2020, 02:03 PM   #3
Sue Doe-Nym

Default Hope he can get help!

Quote:

There is an 800# for Customer Service, which is open Monday-Friday from 8 to 4:30. If I were in your son’s shoes, I would be dialing from 7:58 on because they will be deluged. Good luck to him!🍀🤞

But then it says:

There is an 800# for Customer Service, and if I were in your son’s shoes, I would be dialing the # from 7:58 on, hoping for help. They are open Monday to Friday 8-4:30. Hope he can get help. 🤞🍀🤞
Sue Doe-Nym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 02:18 PM   #4
Poor Richard

map - if you have my number still, please feel free to call or send to your son.

The short answer is, if he's filed and it's been accepted, continue the weekly filings.
Poor Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 03:25 PM   #5
map

What happened to the "Thanks" buttons?
The Following User Says Thank You to map For This Useful Post:
JEEPONLY (03-30-2020)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2020, 03:27 PM   #6
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default How many thanks?

Quote:
What happened to the "Thanks" buttons?
How many thanks in the last 24 hrs. We are capped at 5 in 24 hrs.

Dave.
Old 03-29-2020, 03:27 PM   #7
map

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poor Richard View Post
map - if you have my number still, please feel free to call or send to your son.

The short answer is, if he's filed and it's been accepted, continue the weekly filings.
I do not see where I had your number. But thanks. So he should just file for last week even though he worked? I am thinking they probably will ask him if he worked and he will say yes and then he can go from there.

Then he will file for the w/e 4/3 the end of this week- the first week he is not working.
Old 03-29-2020, 03:30 PM   #8
map

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym View Post
There is an 800# for Customer Service, and if I were in your son’s shoes, I would be dialing the # from 7:58 on, hoping for help. They are open Monday to Friday 8-4:30. Hope he can get help. 🤞🍀🤞

Yes- Thank you. I told him that also.Well- it is a 603 number- a hotline assistance #.
Old 03-30-2020, 07:47 AM   #9
webmaster

Thanked 3,726 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
How many thanks in the last 24 hrs. We are capped at 5 in 24 hrs.
It's now 10 per day.
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to webmaster For This Useful Post:
Barney Bear (03-30-2020), upthesaukee (03-30-2020), VitaBene (03-30-2020)
Old 03-30-2020, 07:53 AM   #10
Poor Richard

Quote:
I do not see where I had your number. But thanks. So he should just file for last week even though he worked? I am thinking they probably will ask him if he worked and he will say yes and then he can go from there.
I believe we spoke a while back about snow clearing prior to your move.

Regardless, yes, he should consider including the week that he worked in the event the timing of his last work day overlaps with the week ending of the UI claim. There will be questions that ask about his work dates and such. There are also reminders that can be sent to his email that ping him when there's an action on his part.
Poor Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 09:08 AM   #11
map

Thanks. That is what I was thinking also.