Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-29-2006, 02:56 PM   #1
AltonGuy

Unhappy Despair at Half Moon Arcades

My girlfriend and I recently moved to Alton and are occasional visitors/customers to the Half Moon family of Arcades located at Weirs Beach. All spring and summer long we have been gathering our won tickets from Skee Ball etc., and following each visit we would cash in our tickets at the rear counters. The receipt we received from each “Cash in” would sometimes be given on a “Half Moon” stub with the ticket count noted. On a few occasions the facility must have run out of “Half Moon” Stubs, so they were writing receipts on plain paper. All that proved the credibility of this plain paper type of receipt was a signature. Last weekend we visited the Half Moon Penny Arcade with my family and like usual we won tickets and attempted to add them to our pre existing allotment. Following a brief altercation, we were marched to the sister arcade up the street and told that the hand written receipt in our possession held a signature to someone that doesn’t exist!! We did our best to explain what the person looked like, etc. and no dice, they wouldn’t honor it! After a few minutes with what appeared to be the manager, the situation got ugly. We were told specifically that we were believed to be counterfeiting the receipt!! Unbelievable!!! I said a few retaliatory comments and went on my way vowing to not return.

First off the amount we had on the ticket was nominal in the first place. In arcade monetary value the amount was probably less than $10. Second of all I didn’t appreciate being told rudely that I was a counterfeiter!!! My girlfriend and I are very upset by this event as we have been frequenting these arcades for years, even prior to moving here. We will miss it but will refrain from spending any more of our hard earned money at that establishment! We will solely go to Funspot where they have automated Ticket Eaters! Just wanted to put this out there in case anyone else has been getting handwritten receipts etc.! BTW, has this happened to anyone else?
AltonGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 04:16 PM   #2
CEP

Default AltonGuy

I am very sorry to hear about your problem at the Half Moon.
This is definitely a poor custumer relationship!
If this is happening to others, I'm sure more people will stop going there!
It doesn't take long for word of mouth to get around!
Thanks for letting the forum know about this.
This is definitely uncalled for!

CEP
CEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 06:07 PM   #3
Island Life

Unhappy oh no......

Yikes.

My kids have been saving up their tickets from Half-Moon Arcade all summer. Similarly, they were written on a plain piece of paper by a young woman with an Eastern European accent. I asked at the time if this was "official" and she assured me it was.

We're planning to head over on Thursday for a big shopping-spree (of cheap plastic junk) and boy will my children be disappointed if the arcade does not honor the paper slips.
Old 08-29-2006, 06:26 PM   #4
Silver Duck

I believe that the Weirs has some kind of chamber of commerce-type association; perhaps you could complain to them?

The Weirs is dieing fast enough without that kind of behavior to speed the process.

Silver Duck
Silver Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 07:32 PM   #5
Lin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodsk8s
Sounds almost like the tourists who hand a camera to someone to take their picture in a fountain and, instead, the obliging photographer runs away with the camea!

Wonder if the girl doling out "receipts" even works there?!? May be that she's collecting the tickets and plans to redeem them, herself.

I'd suggest that if this trend continues, that the owners of Half Moon and the police department get involved. Sounds like theft by deception ...
The way they always seem to be following you or watching you I'm sure she is the real deal. My kids have tons of tickets to there and plan on cashing them in on labor day weekend, hopefully no problems.
Old 08-29-2006, 08:05 PM   #6
Weirs guy

WOW.

This is just sad. I understand your frustration AltonGuy, hopefully I can help out.

First, not all arcades at the Weirs are owned by the same people! I've gone to all of them over the years, but stick with the Winnipesaukee Pier Arcade most of the time. I have known the owners my entire life, and find them overall to be a much better run establishment. You can go to Funspot as well, but the Piers a safe bet too. The Pier also has a ticket counter like funspots, and they refuse to accept the Half Moons tickets.

Also, the eastern European accent is probably dead on. Usually there are a group of teenage foreign girls working all arcades during the summers here (used to be Irish when I worked here), and this summer is the eastern European summer. Most likely the one who signed the tickets is around here still working for someone else as they are all staying locally and I can't imagine one heading home early. Its possible it was a scam run by one of them who wasn't working at the half moon, but either way a little hanging out around here should turn her up.

Last resort, call the owner and tell her about this.

Now?
Weirs guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 08:15 PM   #7
Airwaves

AltonGuy
Actually as a former business owner who relied heavily on word of mouth I would make the call to the owner as your first step! If he/she is a responsible retailer and is concerned for their business they will;

1. Make things right it's a lot cheaper to give away free stuff to folks suspected of lying than it is to lose customers because of badmouthing that will happen. (No, I'm not accusing you of lying)
2. The owner will repremand whoever it was that refused the tickets for the way they handled the situation.
3. Launch their own investigation or get the cops involved if needed if it turns out the girl with the east European accent was really running a scam.

That's how I'd do it, and if I owned the arcade that's how I'd like an unhappy customer to do it as well.

If the owner tells you to pound sand then file a complaint with the Weirs Beach Chamber of Commerce and the Better Business Bureau.

Just my $.02 1/2 (inflation and markup)
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 05:28 PM   #8
AltonGuy

Thanks everyone for your responses! My primary concern was for someone else with a large amount of accumulated tickets getting treated the same way. My figure was nominal so I didn't lose out too much. I will actually have to buy my battery operated pocket fan vs. "winning" it. I don't plan to make a big stink about my issue to Half Moon management. Unfortunately I have other things on my mind! BTW, anyone want to buy my house in MA!!!
Old 08-31-2006, 04:28 AM   #9
Weirs guy

Ahhh, the beloved pocket fan. You should really consider fighting for it!

Seriously though, I hope your all willing to try the Pier for your arcade ticket pocket fan needs. I'd hate to see people abandon the Weirs over the shady tactics of one establishment.

Now?
Weirs guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 09:45 AM   #10
AltonGuy

The girlfriend and I love the Pier Arcade too! We have a tickets there as well. Hitting the Skill Cranes and getting a drink at the bar perched on the end is a tradition!! Need to cash them in prior to the season ending though. Geez, can't believe September is tomorrow! Still some good weather left though. Fall is beautiful up here, as is every season. Glad we made the move! Thanks guys.