Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Support Forum > Site Support Forum
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 01-02-2006, 03:03 PM   #1
CEP

Default Digital Cameras

Hi:

I am thinking about purchasing a Digital Camera for taking pictures here and around the Lake and was wondering if anyone could give me some information.
I was looking at the Kodac Z740, but not sure if that is a good camera or not.
Forum members take good pictures and so I figured I asked for any helpful hints as to what to look for.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
CEP
CEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 11:27 PM   #2
Island Girl

Default Sony R1

I covet the Sony R1 but do not yet own it. I currently have a Sony F717. I look for real glass lenses, fairly high megapixels, low light capability, ease of use and the picture quality must be superb. My only issue with buying the R1 is the reported lag time focusing in low light....else I would have one now. I am waiting to hear more about it.

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 11:39 PM   #3
Just Sold

Thumbs up Kodak Z740 a Thumbs Up

CEP,

The type of camera you buy should meet your needs and stay within a budget you are happy to live with. I did a lot of research before buying and it paid off.

I have a Z740 and I am very happy with it. It has glass lens with 10X zoom, is a 5 megapixel camera and is easy to handle/operate. I use the camera for business and for the many photos I have posted here. My wife likes it because it sounds similar to an SLR and she gets the "it worked" feeling. We purchase it early in 05 replacing a Fuji that was outstanding at 3 megapixels until it was dropped .

The price has really come down since I bought our Z740 too.

Last edited by Just Sold; 01-03-2006 at 02:35 PM.
Just Sold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 11:48 PM   #4
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

The Kodak Z740 is a nice low to medium priced digital camera, with a very nice optical zoom (10x) for those nice telephoto type shots. Sony also puts out a nice model under $500 with a 12x optical zoom that would be nice in and around the lake, but also would be a nice family photo taker as well, as would the z740. I look at the optical zoom, because the digital zoom can actually cause some picture quality deteriorization. I think that Fuji also has a unit under $500 with a 12x zoom. Megapixels of 4.0 to 5.0 are great for quality 8x10 (ditto with a 3 MP, actually). If you figure on doing much cropping of photos, the higher MP will allow a little more cropping and subsequent enlargement before the picture starts to get "grainy". Whatever camera you decide on, I would recommend a large capacity memory card (SD/MMC, Memory Stick, Xd) appropriate for your camera. The higher the Megapixels on your camera, the fewer pictures you can store (or video clips). I would be looking at 512 MB card minimum. The higher card also lets you take more uncompressed photos (not saved as a "jpg" file, the type of file we routinely email pictures as).

Over the $500 mark, you can start getting into cameras with additional lenses, the Single Lens Reflex digitals such as Canon's EOS and Nikon D50 or D70, or the Sony's that IG mentioned.

Digital cameras are great, just get a good quality one that fits your budget. Then get out, point it, shoot with it, and have fun with it!!!!!
Old 01-03-2006, 03:57 AM   #5
fatlazyless

Just looked and walmart.com has the Kodak 5 mega-pixel Easy Share Z740 with 10X optical zoom for $278.54 & 2.94 shipping. I assume they have to charge a 5% sales tax when sent to Massachusetts.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2006, 08:38 AM   #6
islandAl

Smile depends on your subjects

A lot of the recommendations will depend upon what you want pictures of. Scenery or adults would be one thing and kids and wildlife would be totally different recommendation. I needed something for grandchildren who are very active and kept missing shots due to the "lag" between pressing the button and the camera taking the shot. The SLR's mentioned to do not have this problem. Most will take 2-5 shots with in one second. Great for capturing the smiles on all the kids at once. Do you already have a 35mm with interchangeable lens? If so, you may want to look at SLR from that brand to be able to reuse the lens. Telephoto lens require either steady base to put camera on or image stabilization lens. These can be bought later as you add money to your investment. I bought a Cannon Digital Rebel and these original ones may still be found for reduced prices, probably around $600. The new Digital Rebel XL (or something like that) is around $1,000. The major difference is original has 6.3 mp and the XL is 8.2 megapixal. It is easy to use as my wife who hates technical things, loves the camera and takes great pictures.
Take 10 times as many pictures as you would have with the film camera, and edit with the computer to the best ones. With what ever you decide on, go out and experiment with many different settings of the same scene to see what you like and get used to using the different features before that one shot that you really want comes along. Have fun.
islandAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 09:39 AM   #7
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Arrow Reviews From Consumers

Hi Cep!

When I am about to make a purchase of significance, I like to look at consumer reviews. Who better to get feedback from?
Here are a few in no particular order:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/Z740/Z740A.HTM

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ko...ew/index.shtml

http://google-cnet.com.com/4014-6501...&tag=102991143

http://www.epinions.com/Kodak_EasySh...splay_~reviews

http://www.circuitcity.com/rpsm/oid/...Review.do#tabs

http://www.shopzilla.com/3H--Kodak_E..._id--282053448

(Sorry about so many links! I got a bit carried away.)

Good Luck!
RG
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 09:58 AM   #8
SIKSUKR

As far as memory, I just bought a 512 sd card for my compact canon 450 for $44 after rebate at Circuit City. Not bad. I'll be trying my new toy out on a Cat skiing trip in British Columbia tomorrow. I needed a small camara for easy pocketability in my ski jacket. Consider this also when you buy a new camera. It has 5 mp so it should take quality photos. See you all when I get back!!
Old 01-03-2006, 01:21 PM   #9
GTO

Default Olympus

I've always had good luck with Olympus. If your interested, I can get you an Olympus Stylus 600(6.0 megapixels) brand new in box, for $175. They sell for $300 at best buy.
If interested Private message me.
Old 01-03-2006, 08:22 PM   #10
xstrapolator

Default Battery

Whatever kind you get, get a spare battery. Nothing like having the battery die when you are out on the water or at some gathering and you can't take any more pictures.

I took this with a Canon SD410:

xstrapolator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 08:03 AM   #11
SPANKY

i bought a pentax optio-wp last summer. it has 5 megapixels. it's compact but still offers a large (2") lcd screen. it has the movie function with sound and a rechargeable battery. but what really sold me on this one was the fact it is waterproof up to 5 feet deep. the zoom is limited to 3x optical and 4x digital due to the fact that the zoom function has to happen behind the sealed lens, but i have found this to be plenty of zoom for an amateur like me. i paid around $300. but have seen it cheaper since then.
SPANKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 09:53 AM   #12
Grant

Default Canon PowerShot A620

Might as well throw another in for consideration.

The new Canon PowerShot A620 is quite impressive. Had an earlier PowerShot (A20), and it was a warhorse. This one is MUCH kinder on batteries, and with a 512 MB SD card, it holds a ton. Also takes very clear video.

As for batteries, get some rechargeable NiMH batteries -- they have a longer life in digital cameras, and are renewable.

Some sample galleries taken at the Lake with this camera:

http://www.pbase.com/gfevans/november_in_nh

http://www.pbase.com/gfevans/salmon_sunday_05

And a good review:

http://reviews.cnet.com/Canon_PowerS...7.html?tag=pop
Old 01-04-2006, 01:03 PM   #13
fpartri497

Default Digital camera

CEP

I have a sony F707 with many extras to go with It Im looking to sell. It is In perfect operating condition. I also have a sony digital DVD movie camera with many many extras Im looking to sell. also In perfect conditon.

If you have any Interist, please message me.

fpartri497
Old 01-04-2006, 08:22 PM   #14
Mee-n-Mac

Question Needs and budget

There are a lot of digicams in all manner of styles and price ranges. Most are pretty good with a few that exceptional and a few that are bringing up the rear. Hard to recommend 1 w/o knowing your experience, what you think you'd be doing with it (aside from lake photos) and how much you want to spend. In the tiny camera catagory I think Canon (SD400/450 now being replaced by SD500/550) has about the best if only because they retain an optical viewfinder. In a general purpose camera I'd agree w/Grant and go with Canon's A610/620, if only for the 4x optical zoom (3x is typical). In the so called "Super Zoom" catagory it gets much harder. I'd almost recommend Panasonic's FZ-5/20/30 but sometimes their noise reduction gets in the way of a good shot. If you're looking at a camera with the 35mm equivalent of a 300+mm lens then make sure it has some form of image stabilization. In addition to the sites RG mentioned you'll want to look at
www.dpreview.com . They have a good listing of all current cameras and highly detailed reviews of a lot of them.
Old 01-05-2006, 03:02 PM   #15
lakegirl

Talking Canon...is the only way to go!~!

I just purchased my fourth camera (the most recent is a canon digital rebel slr) I have to say I have been happy with all my canon cameras. The first one was a 2 megapixel (I still have it... it's wonderful). I moved on to a 5 megapixel but I broke the LCD monitor, then I moved on to the Canon Powershot G6 .... which I loved but I just needed more from my camera so I moved on to the Digital Rebel. As far as quality goes Canon is the leader in cameras. You need to determine what your "needs" are with the camera then go from there. The battery life in all the Canon cameras I owned was great and they make them small enough that you can fit them in your back pocket!! Whatever you choose.... good luck and have fun!!
Old 01-07-2006, 08:51 AM   #16
CEP

Thumbs up Forum Members

Many, Many thanks for all the replies I got.
I've been checking out the places everyone has suggested and have been doing some pricing.
I'm sure I will find what will work best for me and maybe I'll be able to take some pictures at the nude beach at Winni!

Have a Great Day!

CEP
CEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 11:43 AM   #17
SIKSUKR

Just got back from a catskiing trip in British Columbia and used my Cannon sd450 for the first time. Real compact size meant I hardly noticed it in my ski jacket. Even though I have big 6ft 3inch hands, I found the controls easy to use considering how small this camera is. The resolution at 5mp is wonderful and what I liked most was the large 2 1/2 inch screen for instantly seeing how my photos came out. The screen is large enough to see if the photo is the quality you intended. My last 1 1/2 inch screen wouldn't do this for me. Took some short video clips with audio at 60 fps which is very good resolution for any still camera. So far very happy with the Canon. Give it a look if your in the market for a ultra compact.
Old 01-10-2006, 05:41 PM   #18
mcdude

Thanked 1,044 Times in 490 Posts
Thumbs up Another Vote for Canon

My little Canon Powershot A40 is (about) three years and I am still very pleased with it. I always keep an extra set of batteries charged up and take them along if going on a long trip or out in the kayak. McD
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 08:21 PM   #19
CHSLTD

Default Fuji A345

Just purchased a FUJI A345 at BJ's in Tilton for $139.00 and got a 256Meg XD card for $29. It takes AA batterys (easy to replace if they run down -vs- batt. pack) and takes mpeg4 video w/ sound. It is a 4MP camera and has a 3x optical zoom. Easy $$$$ and great pictures
CHSLTD is offline   Reply With Quote