Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-23-2007, 08:42 AM   #1
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts
Default Hemlock Disease

We have at least 8 hemlocks that are losing their needles and becoming pretty scraggly.There seems to be no pattern because they are scattered among other healthy trees.We hate to lose them as they are all nice,full grown shade trees. I don't know whether to call a forester or a tree company? Any ideas?
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 09:10 AM   #2
fmgate

It might be worth contacting your County Extension Forester affiliated with the UNH Cooperative Extension. They all have e-mail, so you can probably get a pretty quick response.

http://extension.unh.edu/Forestry/Forestry.htm

A concern might be whether your trees are suffering from the Hemlock Wooly Adelgid. As of '04, there haven't been any sightings of the pest in Belknap or Carrol counties around the lake, but it has been found in Merrimack, Hillsboro, Cheshire, and Rockingham counties. Probably only a matter of time before the Winnipesaukee area is affected. I haven't seen the pest in the Gilford area, but I haven't really been looking that hard.
fmgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 10:06 AM   #3
RLW

Post Wooly Adelgid insect

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM
We have at least 8 hemlocks that are losing their needles and becoming pretty scraggly.There seems to be no pattern because they are scattered among other healthy trees.We hate to lose them as they are all nice,full grown shade trees. I don't know whether to call a forester or a tree company? Any ideas?
Check out this site to get an idea what they look like etc.. http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry...gid/index.aspx
There are hundreds of sites and all say that they can do lots of damage. Hope they aren't what you have as I really do not want to see them coming to our beautiful wood lands. Meaning the North East/New England.
Old 05-23-2007, 11:32 AM   #4
woodswalk

Default don't freak out just yet!

Quite possible it's just your normal winter dessication especially if they are located in a windy area during the really cold hard winds of the winter. Suggest giving it a google with "hemlock winter dessication"- lots of stuff there - pictures, studies etc...
I know some of mine show some each spring especially along field edges where they really get nailed with harsh, cold winds.
woodswalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 12:33 PM   #5
Merrymeeting

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodswalk
Quite possible it's just your normal winter dessication especially if they are located in a windy area during the really cold hard winds of the winter.
I haven't seen hemlock damage, but I do think this winter was harder on the plants than many in a long time. We have plants that we've had for over a decade that have damaged, brown leaves all over. Most are recovering. But the early warmth this winter, followed by a rapid plunge into frigid cold did not help our plants any.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2007, 06:25 PM   #6
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

Sam-I seem to recall hearing Paul Parent say that the hemlock disease does not strike all trees, it can hit two together then skip one etc. He has a call in show on the radio on Sunday morning and is very knowledgeable.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 07:30 PM   #7
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Thanks for all the tips.I followed through with UNH and the county forester.Always get answers on the forum.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 07:45 PM   #8
cowislander

Default Wooly Adelgid

I recently came across an article on this. Seems that the Wooly Adelgid has done significant damage to the forests in Connecticut. Massachusetts has long been presumed to be protected from the Wooly Adelgid due to its colder winters. However, scientists believe that climate change leading to warmer winters will put all of the Hemlocks in Mass at risk. The article didnt mention New Hampshire. I think winters around the lake are still cold enough to offer some protection....for the time being. Lets hope so.
cowislander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 05:13 AM   #9
ApS

Default They're WEEDS, Jim...

(Apologies to Star Trek).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM
"...There seems to be no pattern because they are scattered among other healthy trees. We hate to lose them as they are all nice,full grown shade trees. I don't know whether to call a forester or a tree company? Any ideas?
I wouldn't fret over losing hemlocks. I'd trade a white pine tree for every hemlock that has rocketed-up since my acre was nearly clear cut fifty years ago of every marketable tree. (Meaning white pine trees).

As stated, they seem prone to die-offs selectively, leaving many healthy hemlocks between the dying ones. I've left two dead hemlocks standing to encourage visits by Pileated Woodpeckers—as close to an Ivorybill as New Hampshire's going to get. (And had a tiny Downy Woodpecker visit just yesterday).

While hemlocks will make quick privacy hedges in just a few years (and I transplanted a bunch last summer for that very reason), hemlock needles do nothing to deter runoff and are readily washed or blown into the lake.

Even huge sugar maples won't shade-out hemlocks, but hemlocks will kill off everything underneath them—except other hemlocks.

One good reason to cut down any dead/dying hemlocks would be to plant a few white pines (to guarantee one successful pine). IMHO, white pines are what had kept Lake Winnipesaukee clear of silt and other runoff products, but they need ample sun to get going.