Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 10-14-2006, 11:14 AM   #1
Sunbeam lodge

Default Wiring problem

Help!
I am expanding a porch and I need to move an outlet 3 or 4 feet. The wire is not long enough to reach the new outlet. How can I lengthen the wire? can I run the short wires into a new box, connect the new wire and then out to the new outlet.
If you can't help could you suggest an electrician that would do some switch relocation . It is only a 3 to 4 hour job.
Sunbeam lodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 11:33 AM   #2
Paugus Bay Resident

You can use a junction box, but it has to be accessible (e.g., not behind a wall, etc.) per code.
Paugus Bay Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 02:41 PM   #3
DRH

Default Another Idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbeam lodge
Help!
I am expanding a porch and I need to move an outlet 3 or 4 feet. The wire is not long enough to reach the new outlet. How can I lengthen the wire? can I run the short wires into a new box, connect the new wire and then out to the new outlet.
If the wall where the existing outlet is located will remain where it is, I'd suggest that you leave that outlet and its box in place. That way you can feed the power to the new outlet from the existing outlet. All outlets have two "hot" screws and two "common" screws, so you can probably connect the new wire directly to the existing outlet. Then connect the bare (ground) wires together, and feed the power that way to the new outlet. Just be absolutely sure to connect black-to-black (hot) and white-to-white (common).

If for some reason you don't want the existing outlet to remain, unless you're going to remove the wall where it's located you can still use its box as a junction box to connect the existing wires to the new wires. Then you can install a solid plastic cover plate in place of the outlet cover plate. Either way, whether you keep the existing outlet itself in place or not you can use the existing outlet box as a junction box for the new cable. Also, Paugus Bay Resident is correct that all junction boxes must be accessible, and using the existing outlet box to make your connections would satisfy that requirement.

P.S. Don't forget to turn the circuit breaker off before you do any wiring!

Last edited by DRH; 10-24-2006 at 06:45 AM.
DRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 03:28 PM   #4
Sunbeam lodge

Default Wiring Problem

Thanks, That is a good idea. Could I do the same thing with a switch that I want to move but also has a short wire. Will this pass code? I can just connect the wires in the box they are in with wire nuts and then move the switch and attach it to the new longer wire.
Old 10-14-2006, 05:32 PM   #5
DRH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbeam lodge
Thanks, That is a good idea. Could I do the same thing with a switch that I want to move but also has a short wire. Will this pass code? I can just connect the wires in the box they are in with wire nuts and then move the switch and attach it to the new longer wire.
Sure, you can use the same procedure for the switch. The existing switch box can become the junction box for the wires to the new switch. As with the outlet, you can get a solid cover for the old switch box and simply use it as a junction box.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:03 AM   #6
SIKSUKR

DRH is right on the money.One word of caution.You sound like you have not done much electrical work by the nature of your question.Just an observation,I'm not dissing you.Be very carefull to make solid connections between your new and old conductors.Almost all house fires started by wiring problems are due to loose connections that can create an arc potentially start a fire.Make sure the wire nuts are very tight.I like to hold the wire nut and pull each conductor to see if they are secure.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:32 AM   #7
DRH

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR
Be very carefull to make solid connections between your new and old conductors.Almost all house fires started by wiring problems are due to loose connections that can create an arc potentially start a fire.Make sure the wire nuts are very tight.
Very good advice. I suggest you twist the bare ends of the wires together with pliers first to ensure that they are tightly secured, then screw on the wire nut as tight as possible.
Old 10-16-2006, 11:16 AM   #8
Weirs guy

As a DIY electrician let me 3rd SIKSUKR's point. I've had the melting cover plate of death before because of a loose outlet connection, something you DO NOT want to learn the hard way. A good "tug" on the nuts and wires is always a great idea.

Now?
Weirs guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 02:20 PM   #9
Sunbeam lodge

Red face Wiring Problem

Guys, thanks for all the good advise. I knew I could count on Forum Readers.
It is easier to get an answer here than Google it.
Old 10-16-2006, 02:44 PM   #10
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee
Default just a thought

Not sure if you where going to or not. But early in the thread some suggested leaving the old outlet and Daisy chaining to the next one. Two things here, it is acutally a good idea to do this... you never seem to have enough outlets. With that said my second thought is look into the code and make sure you don't put to many outlets on a curcuit.
Old 02-11-2007, 08:16 AM   #11
Chris Craft

If you are really handy you could also leave the original switch in it's same location and put the new one in and wire as a 3 way switch.

Jon
Chris Craft is offline   Reply With Quote