Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 04-15-2013, 02:14 PM   #1
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,054 Times in 497 Posts
Default Two bombs at the finish line of the Boston Marathon

Horrible event.. it's on all of the Networks.. Channel 4 Boston has live coverage.. actually pulled some of the live video as '"too gruesome"
Old 04-15-2013, 03:04 PM   #2
brk-lnt

So far there has also been at least one controlled detonation of another suspected device.
Old 04-15-2013, 03:11 PM   #3
SteveA
Deceased Member

Boston Police confirm 2 dead, 22 seriously injured so far.
Old 04-15-2013, 03:15 PM   #4
PaugusBayFireFighter

The fire at The JFK Library seems too coincidental.
PaugusBayFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:24 PM   #5
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaugusBayFireFighter View Post
The fire at The JFK Library seems too coincidental.
Confirmed unrelated mechanical fire.
Old 04-15-2013, 03:27 PM   #6
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

Yeah they just showed a guy that looks like his leg was blown off then the camera faded to a dark blue......Unreal. Yet another sad day in America.
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:52 PM   #7
SteveA
Deceased Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
Confirmed unrelated mechanical fire.
I saw the same about the JFK, but Faux News Boston is still reporting it as a bomb at JFK as of 5 minuets ago.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:02 PM   #8
PaugusBayFireFighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveA View Post
I saw the same about the JFK, but Faux News Boston is still reporting it as a bomb at JFK as of 5 minuets ago.
I'm hearing from people on the ground they are looking at a possible incendiary device at JFK. I hope it was just mechanical. However, if it was something planted, the security cams at JFK should tell a story.
They are also looking for a yellow PENSKE box truck that tried to enter the crime scene with "medical supplies" and was turned away.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:03 PM   #9
ITD

Quote:
BPD Commish just stated they are treating the blast at JFK library as third incident.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:59 PM   #10
Diver Vince

How very sad that things in our country have deteriorated like this.
Diver Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:22 PM   #11
Island Girl

Default Horrific

This is very scary. the JFK incident has been discounted as unrelated. It appears they are finding other devices.

Tune into Boston AM WRKO 680 for continuing coverage. You can find it on the internet and tune in radio on mobile devices.

These reports can change with new information.

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:13 PM   #12
Ride & Dive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Vince View Post
How very sad that things in our country have deteriorated like this.

History repeats and we allow, if not encourage, it. I wonder if stronger military and intelligence activity might have sniffed this one out.

>>>>>> Let us remember that `if we suffer tamely a lawless attack upon our liberty, we encourage it, and involve others in our doom.’ It is a very serious consideration…that millions yet unborn may be the miserable sharers of the event.” – Samuel Adams, speech in Boston, 1771
Ride & Dive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:25 PM   #13
P-3 Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride & Dive View Post
History repeats and we allow, if not encourage, it.
I'm curious as to how you think we might be encouraging this type of thing. Unless we want to give up our essential liberties and live in a police state, there's always going to be a risk that some a**hole is going to do something crazy. And unless you're pretty high up in state or local law enforcement or employed by a three letter federal agency, you have no idea what kind of intelligence gathering, threat assessment and counter-terrorism operations are going on to keep us safe.
P-3 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to P-3 Guy For This Useful Post:
GFP (04-15-2013)
Old 04-15-2013, 08:44 PM   #14
Bear Islander

My company does the sound, electric power and timing for the Boston Marathon. I have been on the race committee since 1983. The clocks across the finish line are ours. If you watch the videos on TV you see a scissors lift right next to the blast. That is where our speakers are and where I was standing. Thankfully all my employees are ok. I have a ruptured ear drum but all in all that is no big deal. I saw some terrible things in the minutes after the blast.
Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:55 PM   #15
HellRaZoR004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Islander View Post
My company does the sound, electric power and timing for the Boston Marathon. I have been on the race committee since 1983. The clocks across the finish line are ours. If you watch the videos on TV you see a scissors lift right next to the blast. That is where our speakers are and where I was standing. Thankfully all my employees are ok. I have a ruptured ear drum but all in all that is no big deal. I saw some terrible things in the minutes after the blast.
Wow, I'm glad you and your employees are okay!
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:20 AM   #16
nhboat61

Quote:

I'm glad to hear you are ok.

My step-son usually volunteers at the race via his fraternity. This year he choose to see the Sox game and just entered the T just before the explosions hit.

He lost his cell and we had a few tense hours trying to locate him. The campus police finally tracked him down and he called us.
nhboat61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:20 AM   #17
ishoot308

Thanked 4,943 Times in 1,918 Posts

Quote:
Bear Islander;

Glad you and your employees are O.K. Hope your ears heal quickly and your eyes and mind forget the horrible scenes you witnessed.

Such a senseless tragedy...

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:30 AM   #18
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

Now that's too close, BI! Glad you are ok!
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:48 AM   #19
SteveA
Deceased Member

Quote:
Glad you and all of your employees are OK. It must have been horrible scene to see.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:14 AM   #20
Just Sold

Quote:

BI - I am glad that you are OK as well as your employees. I hope that your ruptured ear drum heals quickly.

My prayers go out for the 3 that lost their lives and to the many injured and their families.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:09 AM   #21
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMI Guy View Post
I'm curious as to how you think we might be encouraging this type of thing. Unless we want to give up our essential liberties and live in a police state, there's always going to be a risk that some a**hole is going to do something crazy. And unless you're pretty high up in state or local law enforcement or employed by a three letter federal agency, you have no idea what kind of intelligence gathering, threat assessment and counter-terrorism operations are going on to keep us safe.
Well when those three lettered agencies, department of homeland security and even the so called president of the USA all out refuse to call terrorism by name, and refuse to recognize where it's source is that is a fundamental problem don't you think? Doesn't take a police state to do common sense surveillance and yes profiling of those who commonly would carry out such acts.

What happened yesterday regardless of who perpetrated it was terrorism, I find it fascinating that the president's comments later on that day omitted the obvious.

While I have no desire to may political hay out of such a despicable act - the fact it happened doesn't surprise or shock me in the least. Why? Because until the political correctness gets out of the way of identifying what causes this behavior to occur history is destined to repeat itself.

My heartfelt condolences to the families of those that lost loved ones, and to those that were injured my prayers for their families who will be forever changed as a result of this.

Finally BI, thankfully you were not hurt bad.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:22 AM   #22
P-3 Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
Well when those three lettered agencies, department of homeland security and even the so called president of the USA all out refuse to call terrorism by name, and refuse to recognize where it's source is that is a fundamental problem don't you think? Doesn't take a police state to do common sense surveillance and yes profiling of those who commonly would carry out such acts.
You're engaging in cognitive dissonance. There are many sources of terrorism, from right wing extremists and left wing radicals right here in our own country, to the more familiar jihadists that many people seem to be singularly focused on.

Quote:
What happened yesterday regardless of who perpetrated it was terrorism, I find it fascinating that the president's comments later on that day omitted the obvious.
Perhaps he "omitted the obvious" because... it's obvious.

Quote:
While I have no desire to may political hay out of such a despicable act - the fact it happened doesn't surprise or shock me in the least. Why? Because until the political correctness gets out of the way of identifying what causes this behavior to occur history is destined to repeat itself.
And yet, here you are making political hay out of this despicable act.

Quote:
My heartfelt condolences to the families of those that lost loved ones, and to those that were injured my prayers for their families who will be forever changed as a result of this.

Finally BI, thankfully you were not hurt bad.
Agreed.
The Following User Says Thank You to P-3 Guy For This Useful Post:
gillygirl (04-16-2013)
Old 04-16-2013, 08:30 AM   #23
JMR

Default Bi

BI

Glad to hear that you were not injured worse. It must have been a hell of a day.
JMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:11 AM   #24
MAXUM

Quote:
You're engaging in cognitive dissonance. There are many sources of terrorism, from right wing extremists and left wing radicals right here in our own country, to the more familiar jihadists that many people seem to be singularly focused on.

Perhaps he "omitted the obvious" because... it's obvious.

And yet, here you are making political hay out of this despicable act.

Agreed.
I am not engaging in cognitive dissonance, this is so crystal clear no need to introduce a bunch of psycho babble terms to muddy the waters. I did not identify any particular potential responsible party for this for a reason, cause it could be any one of the afore mentioned. However just for argument's sake let's say that based on what happened and how it happened it's probably likely that two of the three could be considered less likely. Right and left wing loons may have their issues, but they typically do not target innocent people in an attempt to injure or kill on a mass scale.

I do believe that the President's comments were very carefully worded as to not offend anyone (as usual) and his continued refusal to call it what it is to me is telling. Being able to vocalize the cause is step one. Apparently we aren't there yet, and in today's world that's a scary thought.

I am not making political hay out of this, just stating observations. I have not made any disparaging comments in regards to any politician with the exception of the president's comments which is hardly political and my comment was simply an observation.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
GsChinadoll (04-20-2013), Seaplane Pilot (04-16-2013)
Old 04-16-2013, 10:12 AM   #25
KonaChick

To put a human face (or forum name) on this, I'm just extremely grateful that my husband is safe and OK. That's all......
KonaChick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KonaChick For This Useful Post:
gillygirl (04-16-2013), SteveA (04-16-2013)
Old 04-16-2013, 10:19 AM   #26
P-3 Guy

Quote:
I do believe that the President's comments were very carefully worded as to not offend anyone (as usual) and his continued refusal to call it what it is to me is telling. Being able to vocalize the cause is step one. Apparently we aren't there yet, and in today's world that's a scary thought.
What would you have wanted him to say? It's obvious that this was an act of terror, regardless of who is responsible. That should go without saying. Who would you have wanted the president to offend in making his comments? Other than a blanket condemnation of whoever is responsible (which was done), there's really no more that can responsibly be said at this time, because right now we have no idea who did this.

As far as "vocalizing the cause," what cause are you talking about? We have no idea right now what motivated the coward(s) responsible.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to P-3 Guy For This Useful Post:
catdon (04-16-2013), Chaselady (04-16-2013), Winnigirl (04-16-2013)
Old 04-16-2013, 12:42 PM   #27
codeman671

Thumbs down lock it down

This is getting a bit political...Lets lock this thread before it deteriorates further...
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to codeman671 For This Useful Post:
ITD (04-16-2013)
Old 04-17-2013, 08:13 AM   #28
MAXUM

Quote:
What would you have wanted him to say? It's obvious that this was an act of terror, regardless of who is responsible. That should go without saying. Who would you have wanted the president to offend in making his comments? Other than a blanket condemnation of whoever is responsible (which was done), there's really no more that can responsibly be said at this time, because right now we have no idea who did this.

As far as "vocalizing the cause," what cause are you talking about? We have no idea right now what motivated the coward(s) responsible.
So if it was so obvious why not just call it like it is, or do you play the PC card till it becomes apparent that polling data shows that wasn't a popular thing to omit. What would I have wanted him to say, well what would Harry S Truman say if he were in the white house?

Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything.
Harry S. Truman

Vocalizing the cause = simply put "terrorism".
Old 04-17-2013, 08:52 AM   #29
P-3 Guy

Quote:
Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything.
Harry S. Truman
Yes!! But first, you have to know who "them" is. And you better be 100% sure.

Quote:
Vocalizing the cause = simply put "terrorism".
Terrorism is the result, the cause has yet to be determined.

Quote:
Right and left wing loons may have their issues, but they typically do not target innocent people in an attempt to injure or kill on a mass scale.
See: McVeigh, Timothy and Rudolph, Eric.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:57 PM   #30
eillac@dow

Default Boston Bruins National Anthem

Thought I would share a video from tonight's Bruins game. It is simply amazing. Makes me proud to be a Bostonian and more importantly....an American.

http://video.bruins.nhl.com/videocen...ed-share-video

Hope I attached the link correctly!
eillac@dow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to eillac@dow For This Useful Post:
Den65 (04-18-2013), HellRaZoR004 (04-17-2013), jeffatsquam (04-18-2013), Pontoon Goon (04-20-2013)
Old 04-19-2013, 09:20 PM   #31
Bear Island South

1 Dead, 1 Captured
Hopefully this is the end of a horrific week for Boston.
Thanks to all the LEO's for keeping us safe.
Bear Island South is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bear Island South For This Useful Post:
Bear247 (04-20-2013), chefbrown (04-19-2013), DRH (04-19-2013), SteveA (04-20-2013)
Old 04-20-2013, 05:09 AM   #32
ApS

Thumbs up On-Line Scanner...Who Knew?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Island South View Post
1 Dead, 1 Captured
Hopefully this is the end of a horrific week for Boston.
Thanks to all the LEO's for keeping us safe.
• Anyone listen to the local police/FBI/EMT takedown of the 2nd suspect on an on-line scanner?

(The only scanner I'm aware of that has commercials!)

• One interesting part near the end was the result of an "open mike".

Miranda has been given to the suspect perp.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:30 AM   #33
PaugusBayFireFighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
• Anyone listen to the local police/FBI/EMT takedown of the 2nd suspect on an on-line scanner?

(The only scanner I'm aware of that has commercials!)

• One interesting part near the end was the result of an "open mike".

Miranda has been given to the suspect perp.
I was listening to Mass State Police Special Ops all day on my radio. It was great hearing everything unfold as it happened. I was amazed at how many false reports were broadcast on the national news outlets. I'm proud of the way the law enforcement, EMS and my brother boston firefighters handled themselves.

Open mics are a common occurrence and not a surprise with hundreds of people on portable radios.
The suspect was NOT given his Miranda rights. He will, instead, be held under the Public Safety Exemption.
The Following User Says Thank You to PaugusBayFireFighter For This Useful Post:
Ride & Dive (04-20-2013)
Old 04-20-2013, 06:54 AM   #34
ApS

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaugusBayFireFighter View Post
The suspect was NOT given his Miranda rights. He will, instead, be held under the Public Safety Exemption.
'Hadn't heard of a "Public Safety Exemption", although the withholding of Miranda is a common practice—at first.

Many news sources have "walked-back" their stories—NBC included...

Attached Images

ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:31 AM   #35
PaugusBayFireFighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
'Hadn't heard of a "Public Safety Exemption", although the withholding of Miranda is a common practice—at first.

Many news sources have "walked-back" their stories—NBC included...

So true, many news outlets retracted their stories when the facts actually came out.
The special interrogation team for high valued targets will have this turd for a good 48 hours without Miranda. Hopefully he is "encouraged" if he is "unable" to remember things.
Old 04-20-2013, 06:23 PM   #36
NoBozo

Everyone is Happy with the results in Boston. Me to.

Is anyone concerned with the Massive Power brought to bear by the FEDS to capture ONE 19 year old... AND Shut Down the economy of one of the largest cities in America..??? I'M Very Concerned. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NoBozo For This Useful Post:
GsChinadoll (04-23-2013)
Old 04-15-2013, 07:28 PM   #37
Tank151

Default Gutless

Quote:
Horrible event.. it's on all of the Networks.. Channel 4 Boston has live coverage.. actually pulled some of the live video as '"too gruesome"
Another "GUTLESS" act by individual(s) who think this the method for solving world social issues. When/if we find these individuals, we ought to have a public hanging to show these Terrorists that we will not tolerate these acts.

Our deepest thoughts and prayers for those who lost their lives, that were injured and their families and friends.
Tank151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:32 PM   #38
Ride & Dive

Quote:
Suffice to say we have made significant changes to our policy on intelligence gathering
Ride & Dive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:41 PM   #39
P-3 Guy

Quote:
Suffice to say we have made significant changes to our policy on intelligence gathering
Changes that possibly "encouraged" what happened in Boston today? Like what?
Old 04-16-2013, 04:50 AM   #40
Belmont Resident

Default why change the subject

Quote:
It was a tragedy lets leave it at that and not turn this thread about it into a pissing contest.
I think we can all agree that our current government has issues and needs fixing, this thread isn't about that, but what happened at the marathon.
TMI from past experience I have learned the best way to stop it is to ignore the comments and move on.
Just Sold (04-16-2013), SteveA (04-16-2013)
Old 04-16-2013, 06:26 AM   #41
jetlag100

Brothers from Wakefield, Mass., were victims. Each one of them lost a leg. May have been one of them, you saw..........
jetlag100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:31 AM   #42
dt5150

awful, just awful. a disgusting act of senseless violence on innocent people. my thoughts and prayers are with the folks in bean town today.
dt5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:48 AM   #43
HellRaZoR004

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag100 View Post
Brothers from Wakefield, Mass., were victims. Each one of them lost a leg. May have been one of them, you saw..........
I'm so sorry - I saw some of the pictures last night and wish I hadn't. This type of act will change many peoples lives and I hope for the best.
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:25 PM   #44
Belmont Resident

Default What bothers me

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellRaZoR004 View Post
I'm so sorry - I saw some of the pictures last night and wish I hadn't. This type of act will change many peoples lives and I hope for the best.
Is that for a month the media will run the same news over and over again making sure none of us forget it. I've already talked to a couple of others this morning that say enough is enough, unless there is new information why make those who knew someone who was injured of worse relive this by running the same pictures and video across the TV screen.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:47 PM   #45
Chaselady

For those who can't take anymore....shut off the TV. But we should all be thankful we live in a country where information is forthcoming.
Chaselady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Chaselady For This Useful Post:
Charlie T (04-25-2013), Nagigator (04-16-2013), Sal (04-16-2013), Shreddy (04-17-2013), Winnisquamguy (04-16-2013)
Old 04-16-2013, 05:42 PM   #46
Belmont Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaselady View Post
For those who can't take anymore....shut off the TV. But we should all be thankful we live in a country where information is forthcoming.
Ya, but the media are vultures. Did you happen to catch some of the questions on Fox. Oh and what about the guy who lost his son while his wife and daughter are both in the hospital? Ya the road had to be taped off to prevent the vultures from invading his privacy. It is pathetic what lengths the media will go to get a story in this day. In many cases what they report is found to be unfounded.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:24 AM   #47
snowflake

Default Marathon bombs

I live in one of the towns that was in lockdown yesterday. It was frightening. Fortunately, the second suspect has been caught. The law enforcement officers from Boston, Watertown, FBI etc. did an unbelievable job and we can't thank them enough. On Thursday there was a very moving Interfaith Prayer Service at the Cathedral of the Holy Cross. Ministers from several faiths participated and spoke. We continue to pray for the deceased and the many who will spend a lifetime healing from their wounds.
snowflake is offline   Reply With Quote