Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 04-12-2017, 07:48 AM   #1
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Chloride Problem

http://hudsonvalleynewsnetwork.com/2...tting-saltier/

Before Jodi Connor passed away, he mentioned this to be a problem, but towns do not want to hear it.
Old 04-16-2017, 07:46 AM   #2
Orion

Default Amazed...

I'm always amazed that the environmentalists haven't risen up yet on this issue. How can anyone think that dumping millions of tons of road salt on our roads will not have a cumulative effect on lakes, wells and groundwater. It's insanity. Especially when we see them salting roads when it's above freezing. Not to mention the effect on cars and roadside vegetation.

BTW, I'm not really much of an environmentalist, but even I see this as a huge issue, especially if there is no end in sight to this practice.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 10:05 AM   #3
Descant

Thanked 1,509 Times in 982 Posts
Default Reductions

The rate of salting is starting to be better controlled. Towns and state road crews, especially at the supervisor levels, are all participating in "Road Scholar" programs at UNH. Part of this is a certification on control of salt. This is a separate curriculum that commercial salters (large parking lot maintenance, especially) can also take which helps reduce salt use and their overhead.

We used to accept wearing boots all winter and having chains for the car. Now, people want black roads and street shoes. I will grant that chains were hard on tires and on the roads and AWD on many many vehicles has changed things too, perhaps letting people have a false sense of road safety.
Nonetheless, DES, DOT, and the Towns are well aware of the salt problems. Now, if we could just get people to complain about the salt instead of complaining about roads that aren't black...
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
Orion (04-17-2017)