Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2017, 09:56 AM   #1
webmaster

Thanked 3,697 Times in 820 Posts
Default Weirs Beach Project Ribbon Cutting

I attended the ribbon cutting ceremony yesterday for the improvements at Weirs Beach. They are still cleaning up and putting on the finishing touches but the most important improvements are completed. All the sidewalks, curbs, street lamps and paving is new and the meters are gone and will be replaced by kiosks. There are new standouts for the pedestrian crossings with brick inlays. The most impressive improvement is the complete removal of ALL the wires, cables, polls, transformers, etc. Everything is now underground.

The remarks at the ceremony by several of the people involved were interesting and informative and it was clear that there are many smart and dedicated people who developed this plan. What started as a repaving project ended up a $4.3 million project that could really help Weirs Beach turn the corner, especially when added to the large investments by Flightcraft at the Pier. A speaker commented that many other businesses have said that they are planning improvements in their businesses as well. I'll post more about the improvements at the Pier in another thread.

There's more about the ceremony in this Union Leader article and on NH1.

Here are a few pictures I took yesterday:
Attached Images

webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 10:13 AM   #2
AC2717

looks great and it will help for sure,

but seriously I think they need to get rid of the parking meter payments all together
Old 05-26-2017, 11:30 PM   #3
trfour

So good to see this recovery and improvement project progressing along so well. I always enjoyed Weirs Beach because of it's former glory and history, rather than it's run down state while I lived in the area for so many years.
May God Speed, Weirs Beach!
Thank you Don for sharing with.
Terry

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 12:11 PM   #4
Crusty

Default Parking?

From the pictures and comments, it looks like the Weirs is finally on the right track. It may take a bit, but word of mouth will bring old friends back and entice new visitors. I've only seen one comment has caused me any second thoughts: "the meters are gone and will be replaced by kiosks".

Can anyone elaborate on this? We have such a thing here in Columbus (specifically, on the OSU campus). If the Weirs is using the OSU model... well, I will withhold comment until someone explains how the "parking kiosks" will work.
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 12:38 PM   #5
CentHarb_Ray

I suspect it would be similar to what is used at Hampton Beach. Plug in money (cash or credit/debit) into the Kiosk for an amount of time. It spits out a paper ticket which you place on your dashboard in an spot that is viewable and then you go about your business.

CHR
CentHarb_Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-2017, 12:47 PM   #6
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
From the pictures and comments, it looks like the Weirs is finally on the right track. It may take a bit, but word of mouth will bring old friends back and entice new visitors. I've only seen one comment has caused me any second thoughts: "the meters are gone and will be replaced by kiosks".

Can anyone elaborate on this? We have such a thing here in Columbus (specifically, on the OSU campus). If the Weirs is using the OSU model... well, I will withhold comment until someone explains how the "parking kiosks" will work.
I am not sure what the OSU Model is but...

You still pay to park. The difference is that instead of feeding a meter at each parking spot, you purchase a ticket at the kiosk and place it on the dash inside your car. The ticket is stamped with the date/time etc. so the meter readers can see it and know whether to ticket your car or not.

IMHO, this only serves to collect more money for the city. There are no parking meters with "time remaining" that might benefit the next person. At best if you have any significant time on your ticket, give it to someone that may be making a quick stop for a slice of pizza because you can't do that with kiosk system.
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 06:48 PM   #7
Crusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorsman View Post
I am not sure what the OSU Model is but...

You still pay to park. The difference is that instead of feeding a meter at each parking spot, you purchase a ticket at the kiosk and place it on the dash inside your car. The ticket is stamped with the date/time etc. so the meter readers can see it and know whether to ticket your car or not.

IMHO, this only serves to collect more money for the city. There are no parking meters with "time remaining" that might benefit the next person. At best if you have any significant time on your ticket, give it to someone that may be making a quick stop for a slice of pizza because you can't do that with kiosk system.
The "OSU Model" is first of all, you pay a lot more to park. No longer a limit on the number of quarters, since the kiosks accept bills and credit cards.

Second, they have far too few kiosks to handle peak demand and they aren't always close to your parking spot (think rain).

Finally, when someone sticks in a credit card, it can take up to 10 minutes to get a confirmation. This not only leaves you cooling your heals, it doesn't do anything pleasant for the people lined up behind you.

Hopefully, the folks in charge of Weirs parking will be cognizant of the potential problems and not take OSU's "pay it our way or take a hike" approach. I would think that the LAST thing anybody wants is to impede access to the Weirs establishments, especially in view of all the effort and expense that has gone into renovations.
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 04:16 AM   #8
Reilly

Default App

I believe there will b an app for phones, there are in many other cities
Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 08:46 AM   #9
fatlazyless

Default ... free parking?

How's about parking at the new parking lot behind the local fire station, at the Weirs Community Park, over on the other side of the channel, up behind the Alpenrose Plaza, or the community center, or somewhere, back there? Could be that is FREE parking, and about a ten minute walk, or less?

Named the Weirs Park, or the Weirs Community Park, a City of Laconia property; there's a thread from September 4, 2014, with photos by the webmaster, and this park has public rest rooms and it might have a free to use parking lot ...... do not know .....about a ten minute walk or less, across the channel bridge from the new, high priced, parking spots.

You will not pay a lot of money to park at the Weirs Community Park! Hopefully, this is true?

Can I ask a dumb question .....like why in whole wide world .....would anyone want to go to Weirs Beach?

Now, if the www.wowtrail.org ever, ever, ever, gets built, going from Lakeport all the 9-mile way to Meredith ..... down through the heart of Weirs Beach ...... a bicycle trail ..... for walking, jogging, bicycling ...... no motorized vehicles ..... that would make the Weirs a horse of a different color!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 05-29-2017 at 11:16 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 09:52 PM   #10
PDC4LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
How's about parking at the new parking lot behind the local fire station, at the Weirs Community Park, over on the other side of the channel, up behind the Alpenrose Plaza, or the community center, or somewhere, back there? Could be that is FREE parking, and about a ten minute walk, or less?

Named the Weirs Park, or the Weirs Community Park, a City of Laconia property; there's a thread from September 4, 2014, with photos by the webmaster, and this park has public rest rooms and it might have a free to use parking lot ...... do not know .....about a ten minute walk or less, across the channel bridge from the new, high priced, parking spots.

You will not pay a lot of money to park at the Weirs Community Park! Hopefully, this is true?

Can I ask a dumb question .....like why in whole wide world .....would anyone want to go to Weirs Beach?

Now, if the www.wowtrail.org ever, ever, ever, gets built, going from Lakeport all the 9-mile way to Meredith ..... down through the heart of Weirs Beach ...... a bicycle trail ..... for walking, jogging, bicycling ...... no motorized vehicles ..... that would make the Weirs a horse of a different color!
Give it up with the crime trail you want so bad. Waste of tax payers money to police and maintain.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
PDC4LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 10:05 PM   #11
GodSmile

Default Glad to see the improvements but....

My wife and I docked at the Weirs over the weekend to have a look around. Nice improvements for sure, but in a sign there's a long way to go... we were backing out of the dock and my wife pushed off.... dock post fell off in her hands.

Next time we'll drive.
GodSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 09:41 AM   #12
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post

It's great as long as it's not going through your back yard.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 10:18 AM   #13
fatlazyless

Default ..... parking for 50-cars - no meters?

Located a ten minute walk from the beach at Weirs Beach, the Weirs Community Park has a parking lot with about 50-parking spaces, no parking meters, and a sign at the entrance: "Parking for Park Users Only."

There are walking trails through the nearby level forest area, and a new rest rooms building.

Once the Wow Trail gets constructed from Lakeport to the Weirs, on the Paugus Bay railroad, State of N.H. right of way, this seems like a good place to park your car, unload your bicycle, and go hit that famous Lake Winnipesaukee www.wowtrail.org

Maybe the City of Laconia will decide to add a parking meter kiosk to their Weirs Community Park p-lot to help pay for everything? Seems like a good idea?

Maybe add a bicycle rack, and a picnic table as well?

What do you think?
Old 06-01-2017, 11:32 AM   #14
mneck1814

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
It's great as long as it's not going through your back yard.
I know this is a controversial project and I certainly don't intend to add to it, but I wanted to share a first hand experience with a successful rail trail in our back yard, about 50 feet out the back door.

My grandparents have a camp on Mascoma Lake in Enfield that directly abuts what is now the Northern Rail Trail. When the discussion first began to turn the vacant rail bed into a multi-use trail,we also had reservations about the impacts on our enjoyment of camp and the lake. I am happy to report that 20 years later we have grow to love the easy access to the trail and the benefits that it brings. We worried about potential break-ins as there are not any full-time year round homes near the camp, but surprisingly we haven't been broken into since before the trail opened, before the trail it happened every couple of winters. Our theory is that the camp was isolated before and now there is a regular stream of walkers, cyclists, snowshoers, XC skiers, snowmobilers, etc. We also worried about vagrants, but to be honest there are less now than when it was an abandoned rail bed.

Our family uses the trail regularly throughout the summer season and we even find ourselves driving out to camp in the off season to park and use the trail.

The Northern Rail Trail brings a lot of business into the restaurants and stores in downtown Enfield, too, something that the Weirs and Laconia could benefit from.
mneck1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 03:21 PM   #15
StardogChampion

The last two places I lived, one was near the Minuteman Bike Trail and the other adjacent to the Rockingham Recreation Trail.

The Minuteman was great, especially for walking downtown Arlington to the restaurants, shops, etc. without having to walk down busy Mass. Ave. It was also great for jogging. Like the WOW it was paved. It was always busy with families, commuters, etc.

The Rockingham we had direct access to through our backyard. It was quieter and unpaved but was great in the summer for mt. biking, running, etc. and in the winter was great for x-c skiing. My neighbors used it all the time for snowmobiling. When we sold the house most everyone who made an offer (multiple offers) commented on the direct access to the trail as one of the reasons they did so.

I'd love a rail trail in my backyard again.
StardogChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 09:05 AM   #16
AC2717

I think what one of the major issues is the crime that might be associated with it. Like the three last rail trails mentioned they were either in remote areas or in a decent to well off area. I have one in Maynard MA near my house that goes from Acton through Maynard, through Hudson, to Marlboro center.

Now I don't have a specific dog in the fight here and I am just using deductive reasoning, here

Laconia does not have the greatest element of the human species living in and around the "Downtown" area, if you will, and connecting it to the Weir's Tourist area is seen as a way to spread out that element, and would be a spot of contention.- proof is in the police logs

I think this might not be as big as an issue if this potential issue didn't exist, say putting one from Meredith Bay to Center Harbor or from the Weirs to other parts of the lake.
Old 06-02-2017, 02:47 PM   #17
Outdoorsman

Default WOW trail

Something tells me that the last 3-4 posts were intended for the WOW trail thread and not this one
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 09:14 PM   #18
GTO

Default Very nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
I attended the ribbon cutting ceremony yesterday for the improvements at Weirs Beach. They are still cleaning up and putting on the finishing touches but the most important improvements are completed. All the sidewalks, curbs, street lamps and paving is new and the meters are gone and will be replaced by kiosks. There are new standouts for the pedestrian crossings with brick inlays. The most impressive improvement is the complete removal of ALL the wires, cables, polls, transformers, etc. Everything is now underground.

The remarks at the ceremony by several of the people involved were interesting and informative and it was clear that there are many smart and dedicated people who developed this plan. What started as a repaving project ended up a $4.3 million project that could really help Weirs Beach turn the corner, especially when added to the large investments by Flightcraft at the Pier. A speaker commented that many other businesses have said that they are planning improvements in their businesses as well. I'll post more about the improvements at the Pier in another thread.

There's more about the ceremony in this Union Leader article and on NH1.

Here are a few pictures I took yesterday:
It's great to see the Weirs finally turning the corner on bringing families back to the Weirs. And if the families come in the next couple of weeks they can see the wet t-shirt contests and booze and babes, at least that's what's advertised on he banners in front of Faros for bike week
Old 06-05-2017, 06:17 AM   #19
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
It's great to see the Weirs finally turning the corner on bringing families back to the Weirs. And if the families come in the next couple of weeks they can see the wet t-shirt contests and booze and babes, at least that's what's advertised on he banners in front of Faros for bike week
What little boy doesn't want to see that?
Old 07-17-2017, 07:56 PM   #20
SBC

Default They wasted paint numbering those parking spaces

It's a little more than two cents worth but worthy of ranting a bit:

Recently we joined with friends for a cruise on the Mt. Washington on NH’s great lake. We arrived early and secured a boardwalk parking space. I went to the nearest parking kiosk which was not so near, only to be told by other folks that it was out of order. Fortunately there was another just a short 20 feet away however, there was a growing line of folks attempting to use it and some gave up. When my turn came I realized I needed to know the space number where I had parked. I had failed to notice the sign that says you need to know your parking space number (my bad on that one). Back down the boardwalk a few hundred feet then back in line.

When my turn came, I tried three different credit cards multiple times but the machine would not accept any. I even read and re-read directions but to no avail. Now, more than anxious and with a growing audience I took a break and went to my vehicle to retrieve my bag of laundromat quarters. Back in line I was hearing the same frustrations I had experienced being voiced by other honest folk seeking to avoid scrutiny by some parking enforcement person who was sure to arrive after our cruise left the wharf. I deposited many quarters to assure my parking place. Ahh, time to take in the beauty of the lake on a perfect day for this voyage.

Before boarding I inquired at the ticket office regarding anyone who could assist others with the frustrating machine(s) and was told that the city of Laconia was in charge of that. I called the PD and asked for the department or persons for parking. The officer with whom I spoke did not know who the supervisor was for that division or even which department was actually in charge of the parking at Weirs beach. I offered some suggestions to the officer such as providing an attendant to assist during these important times. If someone was there prior to boarding I said, not only could the city realize the revenue from this system but they would have more happy tourists that would return to make NH even greener. The officer said he would pass the message (hope he learns who it is that might listen) but not before he mentioned that he had heard that ‘that new system up there had experienced some problems’.

Much as we may not like to pay for parking that is what helps to maintain certain aspects of the city right of ways. But Laconia, come on now, take a page from others who have instituted this kiosk thing; Dover, Concord, etc. They don’t number their spaces, they set a time limit (think three hour cruise), actually accept credit cards without problems or cash and place the kiosks conveniently (think elderly, special assistance) all to MAKE IT EASY FOR THE CUSTOMER to spend their money, be happy and maybe return to do it again. I would be surprised if the cruise company has not poked the city on this to get them to correct the situation as they will lose money otherwise.
SBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:26 PM   #21
jetskier

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBC View Post
It's a little more than two cents worth but worthy of ranting a bit:

Recently we joined with friends for a cruise on the Mt. Washington on NH’s great lake. We arrived early and secured a boardwalk parking space. I went to the nearest parking kiosk which was not so near, only to be told by other folks that it was out of order. Fortunately there was another just a short 20 feet away however, there was a growing line of folks attempting to use it and some gave up. When my turn came I realized I needed to know the space number where I had parked. I had failed to notice the sign that says you need to know your parking space number (my bad on that one). Back down the boardwalk a few hundred feet then back in line.

When my turn came, I tried three different credit cards multiple times but the machine would not accept any. I even read and re-read directions but to no avail. Now, more than anxious and with a growing audience I took a break and went to my vehicle to retrieve my bag of laundromat quarters. Back in line I was hearing the same frustrations I had experienced being voiced by other honest folk seeking to avoid scrutiny by some parking enforcement person who was sure to arrive after our cruise left the wharf. I deposited many quarters to assure my parking place. Ahh, time to take in the beauty of the lake on a perfect day for this voyage.

Before boarding I inquired at the ticket office regarding anyone who could assist others with the frustrating machine(s) and was told that the city of Laconia was in charge of that. I called the PD and asked for the department or persons for parking. The officer with whom I spoke did not know who the supervisor was for that division or even which department was actually in charge of the parking at Weirs beach. I offered some suggestions to the officer such as providing an attendant to assist during these important times. If someone was there prior to boarding I said, not only could the city realize the revenue from this system but they would have more happy tourists that would return to make NH even greener. The officer said he would pass the message (hope he learns who it is that might listen) but not before he mentioned that he had heard that ‘that new system up there had experienced some problems’.

Much as we may not like to pay for parking that is what helps to maintain certain aspects of the city right of ways. But Laconia, come on now, take a page from others who have instituted this kiosk thing; Dover, Concord, etc. They don’t number their spaces, they set a time limit (think three hour cruise), actually accept credit cards without problems or cash and place the kiosks conveniently (think elderly, special assistance) all to MAKE IT EASY FOR THE CUSTOMER to spend their money, be happy and maybe return to do it again. I would be surprised if the cruise company has not poked the city on this to get them to correct the situation as they will lose money otherwise.
We parked there a couple of weeks back and echo some of your frustrations.
  1. The machines should take bills, in addition to coins. Most parking machines do and it would ameliorate the issue of carrying around a pile of change.
  2. Other systems use a printed ticket that is placed on the dash of the car. This avoids the issue of needing to have numbered spots and correlating payment with a numbered spot.
  3. The credit card system would not work when we were there either.
  4. Given that the numbers are there, why not allow people to pay through an app on their phones...that avoids lines all together.

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:58 PM   #22
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

Can't wait 'til they put this system on the docks.
Based only on what I see on this forum, the City Council of Laconia, compared to other cities where I do frequent (Concord and Manchester) is a group of meatheads. hey spend money paving and lighting th e WSeirs and then make it difficult/unfriendly to park. No offense to NB, but they are a bunch of Bozos. (Yes, I've been in city government as an elected official. Nothing that stupid.)
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 09:03 AM   #23
Taz

Default Weirs

Yes its nice that improvements were made. Sidewalks are nice, no wires to look at, when the kiosks work its nice not to have to use change to feed the meters. I don't see how this will change much of anything. You still have the same old restaurants and arcades across the street from the water. The docks have not changed which is one of the bigger complaints about Weirs. while its nice that East Coast Flight Craft put new siding on the pier building there is still the same old fried dough and pizza takeout windows, what has really changed? Previous posts on this subject always seemed to point out how nice Meredith is. Well folks this isn't going to do it. Meredith has nothing to worry about as far as taking business away from them.
Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 09:04 AM   #24
SIKSUKR

I dont understand the number thing. What difference does it make. I remember doing the same dance at Hampton by the wall. I could be mistaken but I thought you dont need the space number any more. Is this because those kiosks dont print a ticket? Here in Manchester a ticket is printed and the expired time clearly shown. I still dont like these if I want to run in quick to a sandwich shop and throw a coin in right at my car.
Old 07-18-2017, 08:45 PM   #25
Patofnaud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz View Post
there is still the same old fried dough and pizza takeout windows, what has really changed?
Actually, that part did change a lot.

Crappy old unused min-golf gone and employee parking lot to take away from them having to use side roads.

Pizza replaced by Sal's which is MUCH better pie and they now deliver to the Gas Docks.

Smokehouse place sells nice food, good brisket sandwich on the boat while watching fireworks is always a winner.

Arcade has been cleaned, floors sanded and refinished and all the broken crap removed.

Anthony's has been cleaned up, new lighting and decent drink prices.

What they do need though are dock hands all along the docks to fit boats in better. Manually slide the jet skis and small boats up in front of the bays to let larger boats take the outer pilings. Letting Joe Dickweed tie up his 10ft skiff on the outermost pilings and Ralph Jetski across from him. (Hint, go watch NASWA on a busy day to see how to do it right)
Patofnaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 08:22 AM   #26
Taz

Default Patofnaud

Sorry but I must respectfully disagree. Cleaning up arcade, sanding some floors, changing some lightning, changing vendors at the take out windows is not change. Its still the same old concept that has not been working for some time. Tried Sals Pizza and it was very average. I would not go out of my way to get to Weirs for Sals. And when the end of August arrives it will still be a ghost town. The only way to change the Weirs is to level it and start over. We all know that will not happen at least not in the near future.
Old 07-19-2017, 11:08 AM   #27
Mr. V

Well, the die has been cast, let's just see how the roll ends.
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 12:27 PM   #28
Biggd

Quote:
Yes its nice that improvements were made. Sidewalks are nice, no wires to look at, when the kiosks work its nice not to have to use change to feed the meters. I don't see how this will change much of anything. You still have the same old restaurants and arcades across the street from the water. The docks have not changed which is one of the bigger complaints about Weirs. while its nice that East Coast Flight Craft put new siding on the pier building there is still the same old fried dough and pizza takeout windows, what has really changed? Previous posts on this subject always seemed to point out how nice Meredith is. Well folks this isn't going to do it. Meredith has nothing to worry about as far as taking business away from them.
They just purchased the place, give it some time before you come down on them. It's more than has been done in years past. They did quite a bit in the short amount of time they've owned it. I'm sure they will get back at it during the off season.
Old 07-19-2017, 02:28 PM   #29
Taz

Default Biggd

Did you see my last post? Cleaning up some without changing the whole dynamic in Weirs will not change anything. Its still the same concept. Whats that saying? Trying the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. That area needs a major complete tear down and overhaul with new ideas.
Old 07-19-2017, 02:48 PM   #30
Cobalt 25

Thumbs up

I've been coming to Weirs Beach since the Fifties and I am really happy with the changes. Is it perfect? Of course not, nothing is. But I find it difficult to understand how some can criticize the outstanding efforts that have been done.

This weekend marked the fourth generation of our family enjoying the lake and all it has to offer. Weirs Beach is great and I hope my grandkids and their grandkids will be enjoying it for a long time to come.

Thanks to the moderator for the pics and the update!
Cobalt 25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 04:49 PM   #31
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobalt 25 View Post
I've been coming to Weirs Beach since the Fifties and I am really happy with the changes. Is it perfect? Of course not, nothing is. But I find it difficult to understand how some can criticize the outstanding efforts that have been done.

This weekend marked the fourth generation of our family enjoying the lake and all it has to offer. Weirs Beach is great and I hope my grandkids and their grandkids will be enjoying it for a long time to come.

Thanks to the moderator for the pics and the update!
More needs to be done but I agree with you.
Old 07-19-2017, 04:51 PM   #32
Biggd

Quote:
Did you see my last post? Cleaning up some without changing the whole dynamic in Weirs will not change anything. Its still the same concept. Whats that saying? Trying the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. That area needs a major complete tear down and overhaul with new ideas.
Well why don't you buy it and tear it down! Let's see if you can change the dynamic.
From what I've read East Coast Flight Craft is planning on spending 5 mil on the place. That's no small chunk of change! As they say, " Rome wasn't built in a day". I'm happy they have found someone to invest in the place instead of just letting it fall apart.
Old 07-20-2017, 07:24 AM   #33
Taz

Default biggd

If I was a real estate developer with unlimited resources and the investment would pay off I would buy up everything in the whole strip and start over. I guess I was not clear. Its not just the pier that East Coast Flight craft purchased, its the whole strip, its the docks. Unless the docks are reconfigured Weirs will NEVER attract boat traffic, look at Meredith, look at Wolfboro. The side of the street opposite the water with arcades etc needs to be changed. There is a reason why Meredith and Wolfboro have boats waiting to dock and Weirs in its present form will never have that no matter how much money East Coast Flight Craft invests in the pier. Unless there are major changes besides sprucing up the existing structures we will be having the same discussion about what can be done to attract more visitors to Weirs.
Old 07-20-2017, 07:57 AM   #34
Biggd

Quote:
If I was a real estate developer with unlimited resources and the investment would pay off I would buy up everything in the whole strip and start over. I guess I was not clear. Its not just the pier that East Coast Flight craft purchased, its the whole strip, its the docks. Unless the docks are reconfigured Weirs will NEVER attract boat traffic, look at Meredith, look at Wolfboro. The side of the street opposite the water with arcades etc needs to be changed. There is a reason why Meredith and Wolfboro have boats waiting to dock and Weirs in its present form will never have that no matter how much money East Coast Flight Craft invests in the pier. Unless there are major changes besides sprucing up the existing structures we will be having the same discussion about what can be done to attract more visitors to Weirs.
I would imagine historical issues come into play with a property like this so demolition and starting over is probably not an option.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:10 AM   #35
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts
Default Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
I would imagine historical issues come into play with a property like this so demolition and starting over is probably not an option.
Give East Coast a chance to continue with their improvement plan, yes something better can be done with the arcade but you will never be able to develop the homes owned by the NH Veterans, they are designated historical homes.
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote