Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > History
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2019, 01:37 PM   #1
WGrant

Thumbs up What year did Irwin Marina become Mountain View Yacht Club?

I'm trying to remember the first year that Irwin Marina went condo and sold their slips as Mountain View Yacht Club....

Also if there are any original slip purchasers I‘m curious how much Slips cost back then.

My dad bought one for his Catalina 32 and I think he paid around $29k., but my memory is VERY fuzzy on this...,,

Did Irwin Marina become MVYC the same year that the state authorities put a moratorium on new boat slips and anchorages? (I seem to remember that was a big reason for “investing” in the slip back then).

Thanks in advance for any history help here.
WGrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 02:20 PM   #2
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Mvyc

Gilford Marina was established in the 60's taking over from "Port Lauderdale". The Fagans owned GM and went condo in 1983. Slips sold from $15K to, I think, $40K depending on size. Tenants at GM got first shot at the slip they were already renting, and the rest went via lottery with consideration to the size of the boat you owned. I can't remember the first name of the condo (Gunstock River?) There was a name before MVYC, but there were some "discussions" over fine points of the original condo documents and they were redrawn using the name Mountain View. The first managers were Jeff and Margaret Fagan, then a company called MMI(?). When that contract ran out (early 70's?) there was a bidding process for new management and Irwin Marine won. They have been renewing ever since. The management contract does not allow Irwin to sell or service non-member boats.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 04:29 PM   #3
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,146 Times in 893 Posts

Irwin Marine never owned Mountain View Yacht Club. They are merely the management company retained by the Board of Directors to manage the club.

They have been given several 5 year renewals without the contract going out to bid. In my opinion, they do a good job but there should be a bidding process, if for no other reason than to get the best deal for the member/owners.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 06:33 PM   #4
Donzi Minx

Smile Gilford Marine

I remember when they had boats displayed in the glass partitioned front of the main building mid late 60s.
It was then I became addicted to a boat brand that came from Thunder Alley.
There in the front of the building was a sweet sixteen. Yellow with white stripes, and there was a foot accelerator in place of the traditional throttle.
Smitten with it as a only a 14 year old could be, although truth tell still smitten with the one I have now at 65...thank you Gilford Marine.
Donzi Minx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 07:04 PM   #5
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Is this similar to the contract Irwin has at SDBC?

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links