Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2022, 03:31 PM   #1
MeredithMan

Default And now the Fridge Shortage...

We are putting in a new kitchen in Bedford and the projected start date is July timeframe, based on cabinet delivery and the contractor's schedule. We thought that we should probably check out the appliances, in the event they are out a couple months. We stopped in to Baron's today and sure enough, the stove, dishwasher, and micro-drawer are all out a few months, but the fridge is on back-order till October! Crazy....
MeredithMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 04:17 PM   #2
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts
Default New Math

I found your refrigerator. It's just off the coast of California! I just bought some kitchen cabinets and bar stools and the wait was 2 months. The same 2 month wait for two recliners too.

In December the Port of Los Angeles reported that there were 46 container ships stationed off the shores of California’s Long Beach and Los Angeles ports – a marked drop or more than 100 earlier in the month. (Fake news)

However, according to data provided by ship-tracking website MarineTraffic, there are currently nearly 100 cargo ships waiting to dock. The same number of ships waiting, just a new way to count them.

The inconsistency in the number of ships stems from a new policy recently employed by shipping trade groups that encouraged incoming vessels to wait out in the open ocean amid these traffic jams – rather than at the backed-up ports. While the ships remain out in open ocean areas they are not counting them.

That seems a little...........Oh, never mind!
Attached Images

TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
MeredithMan (02-05-2022), secondcurve (02-05-2022)
Old 02-05-2022, 04:18 PM   #3
Woody38

Default appliances

We buy all our appliances at Yale Electric in Boston. They may not deliver to NH but may be able to help with connecting with someone. Also, you can always rent a truck and deliver yourself. Remember that a SubZero is really heavy. We have done 8 kitchens and when I call Paul, he tells me the exact number we are doing. I believe we have done our last kitchen. So much fun though. This last one has almost everything, Wolf induction cooktop on island, double Wolf wall oven, warming drawer and SubZero side by side refer. and wine cooler. Never thought a warming drawer was worth it, but it has come in handy many times.
Best of luck on your project.

I am a retired workaholic and continuing aquaholic
Woody38 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Woody38 For This Useful Post:
MeredithMan (02-05-2022)
Old 02-05-2022, 04:42 PM   #4
Winilyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeredithMan View Post
We are putting in a new kitchen in Bedford and the projected start date is July timeframe, based on cabinet delivery and the contractor's schedule. We thought that we should probably check out the appliances, in the event they are out a couple months. We stopped in to Baron's today and sure enough, the stove, dishwasher, and micro-drawer are all out a few months, but the fridge is on back-order till October! Crazy....
Is your fridge a very specific or uncommon one or are all fridges out that far? We've got an aging fridge - old enough that I worry if it'll be fine when we open up in May. I was thinking about being proactive and purchasing a new one soon. Ours must be counter depth but not a high end brand.
Winilyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 05:13 PM   #5
MeredithMan

Default Don't know about others...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winilyme View Post
Is your fridge a very specific or uncommon one or are all fridges out that far? We've got an aging fridge - old enough that I worry if it'll be fine when we open up in May. I was thinking about being proactive and purchasing a new one soon. Ours must be counter depth but not a high end brand.
We didn't ask about other brands/models, so I don't know if it across all fridges or just the brand we are purchasing. It's a built-in Sub Zero and the Barons guy did say that Sub Zero in particular is having a tough time at the factory, so it's possible that it is brand-specific.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2022, 08:36 PM   #6
codeman671

We were at Baron’s today as well.
We were told December for the fridge we were inquiring about.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 09:41 PM   #7
John Mercier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winilyme View Post
Some are in-stock at the various outlets.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 10:20 PM   #8
tummyman

My sons upright freezer died. Ordered on line at Lowes...new one delivered in two days. Now it was a Whirlpool...not some fancy brand, but he was super glad to have it.
tummyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 08:03 AM   #9
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

To make matters worse,the LA Times reports that gangs of looters are plundering Union Pacific box cars as they leave the port.
LA has decriminalized most forms of theft so some have been arrested but no convictions and police report that 60 to 90 containers are looted every day
https://www.usatoday.com/videos/mone...ink/6619654001
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 08:39 AM   #10
The Real BigGuy

I think that analysis depends on where you get you’re news.

https://apnews.com/article/fact-checking-160551360299

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 11:54 AM   #11
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
To make matters worse,the LA Times reports that gangs of looters are plundering Union Pacific box cars as they leave the port.
LA has decriminalized most forms of theft so some have been arrested but no convictions and police report that 60 to 90 containers are looted every day
https://www.usatoday.com/videos/mone...ink/6619654001
Union Pacific said its criminal rail theft is up 160% in Los Angeles County over the past year. They estimate there were over 100 people arrested for vandalizing trains during last year’s peak holiday season.

Despite this, Union Pacific said it has not been contacted for any court proceedings. In a letter to Los Angeles County District Attorney George Gascón, they asked him to reconsider a special directive that states certain misdemeanor crimes, such as trespassing, should be dismissed if there are no outlying factors to be considered.

Here are some local shoppers:
Attached Images

TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 12:02 PM   #12
TheProfessor

Oh. The Fancy Name Syndrome.

Knew someone off/near the Kona area. On the big lake.
Had built a fancy home.
Wife had to have Sub Zero. 18 cubic foot. At that time. $5,500.
When a standard 18 cubic foot refrigerator was going for $400.00 at the big box stores.

Let's just cut to the chase. This was the last Sub Zero product that the family ever purchased. And that family had 3 more new homes constructed on the big lake. None of those new homes had any Sub Zero brand.

If one needs a Sub Zero for bragging rights. And the extra money. Go for it.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 03:38 PM   #13
MeredithMan

Default Bragging rights? Please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProfessor View Post

Had built a fancy home.
When a standard 18 cubic foot refrigerator was going for $400.00 at the big box stores.

Let's just cut to the chase. This was the last Sub Zero product that the family ever purchased. And that family had 3 more new homes constructed on the big lake. None of those new homes had any Sub Zero brand.

Don't know if your comment was directed at me, but I can tell you that the only reason I mentioned the brand name was because Winilyme asked if the extreme delay was across all fridges or a particular brand/model. I did not mention it to "brag". I do not need to tell people what brands of products I buy to have a sense of self-worth.

Similar to what Woody stated in his post, this will be our 3rd home of upgrading the kitchen and master bath. All of our moves have been work relos and the homes that we have bought have been "tired" and in need of a new kitchen/baths. Our experience has been that at time of resale, high-end kitchens and master baths sell houses and we have always recouped our project investment and then some.
Old 02-06-2022, 07:51 PM   #14
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProfessor View Post

Had built a fancy home.

Subzero and Wolf make great products. We went overboard and used them in our island cottage reno and couldn’t be happier. Shopping for the same ones now for our primary home. Yea it’s expensive but we like it. It’s not the name, it’s the look, the functionality and reliability. Everyone’s favorite piece is the subzero under counter ice machine. Everyone in the cove comes over for ice.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 11:49 AM   #15
FlyingScot

Let's not jump to conclusions over buyers' motives. We've had two Sub Zeroes in the past, I wish we had one (two) now. Over the top price tags, but they definitely have better temperature control and keep food longer than very good refrigerators that are more reasonably priced.
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 09:03 AM   #16
dpg

Well at least the looters appear to be wearing masks so I guess that's a good thing.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 03:05 PM   #17
Woody38

Default warming drawer

Use the warming drawer for those buttermilk mashed potatoes and all the other veggies (roasted onions) while doing other cooking. Also can place the potatoes
over a pot of steaming water to keep them warm. Add these to a fantastic pot roast out of the Wolf oven.

I am a retired workaholic and continuing aquaholic
Woody38 is offline   Reply With Quote