Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Links Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2021, 08:53 PM   #1
Sundancer320
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 87
Thanks: 7
Thanked 34 Times in 17 Posts
Default Mid week Lobster rolls

Itís that time of year where finding whatís open during the week is a challenge so I am turning to the experts. What restaurants in the local area are open mid week for lobster rolls?
Sundancer320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 06:52 AM   #2
TiltonBB
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Gilford, NH and Florida
Posts: 2,233
Thanks: 399
Thanked 1,682 Times in 676 Posts
Default

Lakeside. Union Avenue, Laconia
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 07:22 AM   #3
BroadHopper
Senior Member
 
BroadHopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Laconia NH
Posts: 5,171
Thanks: 2,718
Thanked 989 Times in 700 Posts
Default

Not a restaurant but the best lobster rolls at a reasonable price. Vista Foods downtown Laconia.
__________________
Someday may never be an actual day.
BroadHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BroadHopper For This Useful Post:
winnidee (09-24-2021)
Old 09-13-2021, 10:14 AM   #4
phoenix
Senior Member
 
phoenix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: phoenix and moultonboro
Posts: 1,287
Thanks: 23
Thanked 183 Times in 134 Posts
Default

went to Church Landing a couple weeks ago for lunch and i had lobster roll. They were the long rolls and reasonably priced ever compared to red hill
__________________
it's tough to make predictions specially about the future
phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 10:44 AM   #5
FlyingScot
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Tuftonboro and Sudbury, MA
Posts: 1,549
Thanks: 830
Thanked 667 Times in 404 Posts
Default

Dockside in Wolfeboro--not to be confused with the other Dockside--has had excellent lobster rolls this summer, though at an eye-watering $30. Call before you go--their recent hours have been erratic
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2021, 11:20 AM   #6
ghfromaltonbay
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Clifton, NJ, Alton Bay
Posts: 785
Thanks: 212
Thanked 189 Times in 108 Posts
Default 99 Restaurant Tilton

The 99 has a great lobster roll. You can get cold or hot with drawn butter.
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ghfromaltonbay For This Useful Post:
pjard (09-13-2021)
Old 09-13-2021, 12:16 PM   #7
WinnisquamZ
Senior Member
 
WinnisquamZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 1,153
Thanks: 137
Thanked 398 Times in 259 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghfromaltonbay View Post
The 99 has a great lobster roll. You can get cold or hot with drawn butter.
Agree. Over looked by many


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 03:31 PM   #8
Chef Tony
Member
 
Chef Tony's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Wolfeboro
Posts: 31
Thanks: 7
Thanked 45 Times in 13 Posts
Default

Morrisey's in wolfeboro still has lobster rolls both naked (picked) and lobster salad
Chef Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 04:16 PM   #9
pjard
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Gilford, NH
Posts: 599
Thanks: 394
Thanked 178 Times in 93 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghfromaltonbay View Post
The 99 has a great lobster roll. You can get cold or hot with drawn butter.
Everyone thinks I'm nuts when I rave about the 99 Lobster Rolls. But they are good. NOTHING is better than Tuckaway Tavern but that's not the Lakes Region.
pjard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 07:50 AM   #10
garysanfran
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: San Francisco/Meredith
Posts: 1,189
Thanks: 416
Thanked 502 Times in 245 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjard View Post
Everyone thinks I'm nuts when I rave about the 99 Lobster Rolls. But they are good. NOTHING is better than Tuckaway Tavern but that's not the Lakes Region.
I've also had great fried clams at 99...
__________________
Gary
~~~~_/) ~~~
~~~~~~~~
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 03:20 PM   #11
Taz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 327
Thanks: 3
Thanked 66 Times in 44 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghfromaltonbay View Post
The 99 has a great lobster roll. You can get cold or hot with drawn butter.
Agreed, 99 lobster rolls are good. Better than average but it's not on the lake.
Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 09:02 AM   #12
SAMIAM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Moultonborough
Posts: 2,672
Thanks: 261
Thanked 1,416 Times in 488 Posts
Default

Little inside info on lobster rolls.
Price of commercial lobster meat has doubled over last year.
Most restaurants use claw and knuckle meat from producers in Maine and Canada and the price has been around $45 lb this year.
Considering that most lobster rolls have 1/4 lb of meat, roll, fries or chips and paper goods to serve it in costs $14/$15 to the restaurant.
In order to meet average food cost of 35% the price would need to be over $30 but most restaurants, knowing that would upset customers, have chosen to just take the hit to keep people happy.
Had a nice one at Town Docks for $22 and stopped at Mickey's in Enfield last week and the price was $16.95. Barely over cost.
Bottom line is.....if you're getting a lobster roll under $25, it's a good deal.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
KPW (09-28-2021)
Old 09-23-2021, 09:52 AM   #13
WinnisquamZ
Senior Member
 
WinnisquamZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 1,153
Thanks: 137
Thanked 398 Times in 259 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
Little inside info on lobster rolls.
Price of commercial lobster meat has doubled over last year.
Most restaurants use claw and knuckle meat from producers in Maine and Canada and the price has been around $45 lb this year.
Considering that most lobster rolls have 1/4 lb of meat, roll, fries or chips and paper goods to serve it in costs $14/$15 to the restaurant.
In order to meet average food cost of 35% the price would need to be over $30 but most restaurants, knowing that would upset customers, have chosen to just take the hit to keep people happy.
Had a nice one at Town Docks for $22 and stopped at Mickey's in Enfield last week and the price was $16.95. Barely over cost.
Bottom line is.....if you're getting a lobster roll under $25, it's a good deal.
Or is it lobster?


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 10:22 AM   #14
SAMIAM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Moultonborough
Posts: 2,672
Thanks: 261
Thanked 1,416 Times in 488 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post
Or is it lobster?


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Haha...no doubt many have tried to be creative.
Langostino's monk fish....even krill has been used as a filler
leg and body meat is available.....machine processed,$8 lb and it's still technically 100% lobster but it has no flavor.
Don't worry. Never seen any of these used locally and claw and knuckle meat is easily identified.
Anyone serving less than that would not have anyone coming back.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 03:18 PM   #15
ghfromaltonbay
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Clifton, NJ, Alton Bay
Posts: 785
Thanks: 212
Thanked 189 Times in 108 Posts
Default Hilton is in the area

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz View Post
Agreed, 99 lobster rolls are good. Better than average but it's not on the lake.
The original poster asked about lobster rolls in the local area. I thought the 99 in Tilton would be considered local. No one mentioned the restaurant had to be on the lake.


Darn autocorrect changed the title from Tilton to Hilton!
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 03:28 PM   #16
FlyingScot
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Tuftonboro and Sudbury, MA
Posts: 1,549
Thanks: 830
Thanked 667 Times in 404 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
Haha...no doubt many have tried to be creative.
Langostino's ,monk fish....even krill has been used as a filler
leg and body meat is available.....machine processed,$8 lb and it's still technically 100% lobster but it has no flavor.
Don't worry.Never seen any of these used locally and claw and knuckle meat is easily identified.
Anyone serving less than that would not have anyone coming back.
Thanks, Sam. I knew something was up but did not know the numbers. I bit the bullet several times this year and had excellent lobster rolls at Dockside (Wolfeboro), now closed for season.

I think Tamarack serves a roll labelled as a hybrid of lobster and langostinos. It was very good when I had one years ago, but obviously not a lobster roll.
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 04:28 PM   #17
Neko
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 84
Thanks: 2
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghfromaltonbay View Post
The original poster asked about lobster rolls in the local area. I thought the 99 in Tilton would be considered local. No one mentioned the restaurant had to be on the lake.


Darn autocorrect changed the title from Tilton to Hilton!
The 99 has changed their menu for the fall season. No more lobster rolls until next summer.
Neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 07:58 PM   #18
KDL
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 107
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Default

A little out of the area but Poor People's Pub puts together a good lobster roll.
KDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 10:01 PM   #19
phoenix
Senior Member
 
phoenix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: phoenix and moultonboro
Posts: 1,287
Thanks: 23
Thanked 183 Times in 134 Posts
Default

for a while many years ago the tamarack allegedly didnt disclose that under prior owners
__________________
it's tough to make predictions specially about the future
phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 07:38 AM   #20
fatlazyless
Senior Member
 
fatlazyless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 7,588
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 244
Thanked 794 Times in 566 Posts
Default

When you walk through the front entry to www.heathsmarket.com there's a refrigerated sandwich display with a glass door, first thing on the right, and there's always a single lone $14.99 lobster roll in a hot dog bun, ready for someone to purchase and eat, waiting there on the very bottom shelf. The lobster meat is reddish with white lines and right on top, easy to see.

Most all the other various different sandwiches in the case go for 4.99 except for the 3.99 baloney & cheese that is also on the bottom shelf, next left to that single lobster roll.

For me personally I would buy that 3.99 baloney & cheese every day of the week before I would eat a lobster roll. Lobster is a shell fish that crawls on the bottom and will eat anything and everything, but apparently someone must be buying that $14.99 lobster roll at Heath's otherwise it wouldn't be there, ready to eat like that ... so's someone out there with more money than common sense must have a lobster addiction or something. .... ..... probably someone in a $45,000 pickup truck will sit out there with the ac turned on and eat that expensive lobster roll just because they like to pay for it at the check-out ..... just because they can ....
__________________
.... age-70 & suffering terrible chronic tinnitus ... omg!
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 02:27 PM   #21
Flylady
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: So. California & Lakes Region
Posts: 250
Thanks: 214
Thanked 105 Times in 60 Posts
Default

Poor Peoples Pub (Wakefield) will have then for the next two weeks. They won the WMUR best Lobster roll in NH. More than a quarter lbs of meat closer to 1/2 lb. Hot or cold.
Flylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 01:43 PM   #22
Mskelt
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 16
Thanks: 13
Thanked 23 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Red Hill Dairy in Center Harbor is open some mid week days. Their Lobster Roll is great!
Mskelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 05:24 PM   #23
lakeadoodle
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 19
Thanks: 20
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Baloney?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
When you walk through the front entry to www.heathsmarket.com there's a refrigerated sandwich display with a glass door, first thing on the right, and there's always a single lone $14.99 lobster roll in a hot dog bun, ready for someone to purchase and eat, waiting there on the very bottom shelf. The lobster meat is reddish with white lines and right on top, easy to see.

Most all the other various different sandwiches in the case go for 4.99 except for the 3.99 baloney & cheese that is also on the bottom shelf, next left to that single lobster roll.

For me personally I would buy that 3.99 baloney & cheese every day of the week before I would eat a lobster roll. Lobster is a shell fish that crawls on the bottom and will eat anything and everything, but apparently someone must be buying that $14.99 lobster roll at Heath's otherwise it wouldn't be there, ready to eat like that ... so's someone out there with more money than common sense must have a lobster addiction or something. .... ..... probably someone in a $45,000 pickup truck will sit out there with the ac turned on and eat that expensive lobster roll just because they like to pay for it at the check-out ..... just because they can ....
Kinda like havin a lakeside cottage that you don't use, but brag about at pickleball? Baloney isn't a prime cut of anything; all the odds and ends that is disguised to taste like something ....
lakeadoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 10:11 PM   #24
LakeDad
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 65
Thanks: 2
Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeadoodle View Post
Kinda like havin a lakeside cottage that you don't use, but brag about at pickleball? Baloney isn't a prime cut of anything; all the odds and ends that is disguised to taste like something ....

It is definitely ironic to chastise those who eat lobster whilst mounted firmly on a horse of baloney.

Lobster tastes good. It tastes DAMN good.
Everyone knows baloney is beef lips and a-holes

But Iíll digress: The Russer wundebar baloney at Hannaford is pretty damn good!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LakeDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 10:14 PM   #25
LakeDad
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 65
Thanks: 2
Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
When you walk through the front entry to www.heathsmarket.com there's a refrigerated sandwich display with a glass door, first thing on the right, and there's always a single lone $14.99 lobster roll in a hot dog bun, ready for someone to purchase and eat, waiting there on the very bottom shelf. The lobster meat is reddish with white lines and right on top, easy to see.

Most all the other various different sandwiches in the case go for 4.99 except for the 3.99 baloney & cheese that is also on the bottom shelf, next left to that single lobster roll.

For me personally I would buy that 3.99 baloney & cheese every day of the week before I would eat a lobster roll. Lobster is a shell fish that crawls on the bottom and will eat anything and everything, but apparently someone must be buying that $14.99 lobster roll at Heath's otherwise it wouldn't be there, ready to eat like that ... so's someone out there with more money than common sense must have a lobster addiction or something. .... ..... probably someone in a $45,000 pickup truck will sit out there with the ac turned on and eat that expensive lobster roll just because they like to pay for it at the check-out ..... just because they can ....

A $45k pickup? New? Deal!
Many are approaching triple digits now.

$45k barely gets you 4 doors, seats and a steering wheel.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LakeDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 07:44 AM   #26
SAMIAM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Moultonborough
Posts: 2,672
Thanks: 261
Thanked 1,416 Times in 488 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mskelt View Post
Red Hill Dairy in Center Harbor is open some mid week days. Their Lobster Roll is great!
Last call.........open sat&sun and closing for the season
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 08:43 AM   #27
garysanfran
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: San Francisco/Meredith
Posts: 1,189
Thanks: 416
Thanked 502 Times in 245 Posts
Default

Yesterday, the Heath's lobster roll, four of them stacked in the deli-cooler on the right just as you enter, were $24.95 each.
__________________
Gary
~~~~_/) ~~~
~~~~~~~~
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 08:18 PM   #28
Jersey Bob
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Central NJ
Posts: 69
Thanks: 61
Thanked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Default Friendlyís

So Iím down in here in Jersey and drive by a Friendlyís.
The sign out front said ďLobster rolls are backĒ!
Iíve had Popís, Iíll pass.
Jersey Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:33 PM   #29
fatlazyless
Senior Member
 
fatlazyless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 7,588
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 244
Thanked 794 Times in 566 Posts
Default

$24.95-each for a lobster roll at Heath's, today, with five lobster rolls awaiting a buyer(s) in the refrigerated display close to the store entrance. And there, right next to the 24.95-lobster rolls, there were $2.95 peanut butter and grape jelly on whole wheat bread sandwiches. You gotta be outta your mind to go pay 24.95 when they have a 2.95-pb&j sandwich which will taste about ten times better than lobster ..... all things considered!

Give me a pb&j for 2.95 every day of the week before I get committed for eating a 24.95-lobster roll ...... which is insanity if you ask me! .....
__________________
.... age-70 & suffering terrible chronic tinnitus ... omg!
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:11 PM   #30
WinnisquamZ
Senior Member
 
WinnisquamZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 1,153
Thanks: 137
Thanked 398 Times in 259 Posts
Default

Insanity is shopping at Heathís. Shaws or Hannafords if I want to spend a little more. Market Basket or Vistas for the best savings. Then we have Wal Mart


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

This page was generated in 0.71707 seconds