Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 04-13-2009, 07:44 AM   #1
Orion

Exclamation Careful out there!

Nice to have an early ice-out, but be very careful as the water temp is only 38 degrees. Falling in would result in only minutes to survive. We always wear PFD's while boating until the water temp reaches 50 degrees. And generally wear them while boating at night as well.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 08:41 AM   #2
gtxrider

Default keep your eyes open

Watch for floating debris following ICE OUT. Logs and pieces of docks float low in the water.
gtxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 08:41 AM   #3
fatlazyless

If you accidentally fall overboard, it seems like it's best to strenuously clamp a hand over your mouth and nose. The plunge into very cold water causes an uncontrolled gasp and inhale after you hit the water.....just at the worst time....gurgle...grgle...gugh.

Someday, I plan to practice this off a deep water dock, just for drills.
Old 04-13-2009, 09:11 AM   #4
Skip

Default Not neccessarily true....

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
If you accidentally fall overboard, it seems like it's best to strenuously clamp a hand over your mouth and nose. The plunge into very cold water causes an uncontrolled gasp and inhale after you hit the water.....just at the worst time....gurgle...grgle...gugh.

Someday, I plan to practice this off a deep water dock, just for drills.

Actually that is not true.

I have had the unfortunate experience of falling into 40 degree water off a dock being put in several years ago just after ice-out on the Cocheco River down in Dover. I did not notice the cold until well after I had been pulled out of the water and after hypothermia had set in.

What does happen is your muscles become unresponsive and it makes it very difficult to pull yourself up and out of the water. This will be aggravated by the amount and type of clothes you are wearing.

Actually the full effects didn't take place until 10 or 15 minutes after I was out of the water and attempting to remove my clothes and boots.

However one thing I did not notice upon entering the water (and subsequently sinking to the bottom in about 15 feet of water) was the cold. I definitely didn't immediately gasp or take in any water, my only immediate thought was to get back to the surface and get out. I did sink back in twice before the other guys working with me got a firm grip on me and were able to haul me back up on the docks.

When I teach my snowmobile safety classes I always relate this first hand experience to my students when I cover safety while travelling over ice, as there seems to be much misconception out there about the dangers and the actual conditions one faces when they are plunged into extremely cold water.
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 09:56 AM   #5
Jonas Pilot

Default Hypothermia and water temperature.

With the limited boat traffic on the lake this early in the year, and for the next couple of months, it could be some time before some one was able to help some one in the water. Even at 50 degrees you would need assistance within an hour or so before you lose consiousness. Here is a great site for reference.

http://www.ussartf.org/cold_water_survival.htm
Jonas Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2009, 11:33 AM   #6
robmac

I have to agree with Skip,having gone into Lake Frances back in 96. After the terror sinks in all I could think of was getting to the surface and to this day still don't know how I got back up on the ice. But as soon as I was out the cold started setting in very quickly, thank god for some guys fishing and a warm bob house and dry cloths.
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 04:10 PM   #7
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas Pilot View Post
With the limited boat traffic on the lake this early in the year, and for the next couple of months, it could be some time before some one was able to help some one in the water.
Remember you can only go 45mph, if it's Daytime.
WINNOCTURN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 08:08 PM   #8
islandAl

Default Also agree with Skip

Years back, in the spring while some ice was still in the bay, I reached to fill a bucket with water; slipped on a piece of ice on the dock and in I went. No big deal, it was only 5 feet deep, WRONG. My feet were not touching the bottom.
My leg and arm muscles contracted, pulling all limbs as close to my body as possible; and only to my good luck, I had curled and came up at the edge of the dock and was able to grab hold. Slowly, very slowly moved to the ladder, fine now, NO. Was barely able to make the muscles move to climb out; like I was moving in slow motion.
Then, removed the jacket and sweatshirt to get the water away from the skin. Water removes heat several times faster than air.
I was lucky as no one in the cottage knew what happened until I sceamed when jumping under the bed covers.
islandAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 08:59 PM   #9
trfour

Default Keep The Possibility In Mind....

Fall, Winter and Spring!! Hypothermia can kill whenever....

Link; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypothermia

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 06:54 AM   #10
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

It is true, you are paralyzed when the cold hits your muscles. I slipped off the back of the boat as we were bringing it in after ice out. It was freezing and I had on a heavy winter coat with a sweatshirt underneath, boots and heavy socks etc. I just stood there and my better half yelled at me to move, but I couldn't. Finally I realized that I had to, and made myself move. It was not over my head so I wouldn't have drowned but it sure was an experience I will never forget. I always warn people to never go out in a canoe or small craft without WEARING their life jacket when the water is that cold.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 12:25 PM   #11
kchace

Here is a great and very enlightening video about the effects of cold water immersion:

http://www.boatus.com/videos/default.asp?videoID=324

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 11:50 AM   #12
Misty Blue

Default A good law.

With all of the crack pot laws that Concord can come up with they may take a hint from Massachusetts.

In Mass there is a mandatory PFD rule for conoes and kayaks between Sept. 15th and Mat 15th, Hypothermia season. 'Makes good sense only I would expand it to Class A (<16') vessels.

Misty Blue.

Last edited by Misty Blue; 04-15-2009 at 12:45 PM.
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 12:13 PM   #13
sa meredith

Default First boat ride

Curious to hear from anyone that has been out already.
Floating debris?? Or Ice chunks???? I would think we are close to being completely ice free.
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 12:44 PM   #14
Misty Blue

Default Pretty good

SA:

Launched the wifes boat yesterday in Center Harbor and went home to Braun Bay by going around the back side of Three Mile Island.

There was very little debris to be seen. 'Kind of shocked me.

Misty Blue.
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 12:47 PM   #15
Lakegeezer

Totally ice free. No chunks and the winds from earlier in the week must have pushed debris onto southern shores. Nothing floating by. Here we are three days after ice-out and I've only seen one boat - and that was in the distance. This thread is indeed good advice. I was thinking about it as I got in a kayak to fix something on my dock. I put the lifejacket on, but for some reason, it shrunk over the winter and I was only able to fasten two of the four straps.
Old 04-15-2009, 12:52 PM   #16
Pineedles

Default PFD Messsage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchace View Post
Here is a great and very enlightening video about the effects of cold water immersion:

Ken
Very interesting video, thanks Ken! A real eye-opener for folks I hope, who are out on the water in under 50 degree water temperatures. I know I'll be adding a PFD to my wardrobe when the lake temperature goes below this level in the future.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 01:24 PM   #17
Sman

Default video

I haven't been out yet, still under a tarp, but in response to

Quote:

Ken
Thanks for posting that, interesting info, anyone out early or late in the season, should check it out, never realized how quickly you could loose your ability to keep yourself afloat in cold water vs how long it takes to become hypothermic.
Sman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 10:12 PM   #18
Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
Actually that is not true.

I have had the unfortunate experience of falling into 40 degree water off a dock being put in several years ago just after ice-out on the Cocheco River down in Dover. I did not notice the cold until well after I had been pulled out of the water and after hypothermia had set in.

What does happen is your muscles become unresponsive and it makes it very difficult to pull yourself up and out of the water. This will be aggravated by the amount and type of clothes you are wearing.

Actually the full effects didn't take place until 10 or 15 minutes after I was out of the water and attempting to remove my clothes and boots.

However one thing I did not notice upon entering the water (and subsequently sinking to the bottom in about 15 feet of water) was the cold. I definitely didn't immediately gasp or take in any water, my only immediate thought was to get back to the surface and get out. I did sink back in twice before the other guys working with me got a firm grip on me and were able to haul me back up on the docks.

When I teach my snowmobile safety classes I always relate this first hand experience to my students when I cover safety while travelling over ice, as there seems to be much misconception out there about the dangers and the actual conditions one faces when they are plunged into extremely cold water.
The instinctive reaction can vary based on several variables. I fell into cold water once and my reaction was similar to yours.

In this weather, NEVER boat alone. On a powerboat, I don't wear a PFD (I guess I should), but always my bright yellow "on-the-water" jacket.

Now sailing a 14-foot dinghy in this weather REALLY stinks!

Just be safe and use common sense.
Old 04-17-2009, 07:02 AM   #19
Orion

Default Must have for boaters

I recommend these types of PFD for anyone ownting a boat for one key reason.... It can be work any time without being cumbersome or interfering with movement and inflates instantly when you enter the water by replaceable CO2 cartridge within. Can also be manually inflated by pulling the lanyard. They are available online from many sources such as Bass Pro Shops, Cabelas, Overtons, etc., generally starting at about $89 and going to $270 for deluxe models. Relatively cheap life insurance. Because it is unobtrusive, it will be worn more often.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote