Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 03-23-2008, 03:40 PM   #1
Weekend Pundit

Default Do you think gas prices will affect lake traffic this summer?

After reading comments to the "..that tanks is how big?" thread, one or two people made reference to gas prices and the effect on traffic on the lake.

Last summer traffic on the lake was down, or at least it was during July. Boat traffic rebounded in August, but it still wasn't as high as I thought it would be. Gas then was at ~$3.50/gallon. It's expected to be at ~$4.50/gal this coming summer.

I figure that will drive boat traffic down as much as last summer, if not more. It could also be that there won't be quite the rebound in August like there was last year.
Weekend Pundit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 09:43 PM   #2
masssteve

I'm sure it will. Looking at the classified section on this site, the want ads and boattraderonline, there seems to be alot more boats for sale, and I don't know if its me but its seems like the majority are larger cruisers. Summer is so short, we only have about 10 weeks or so that we can enjoy. I have a 75 gallon tank and fill up once a week on average, if its $4.50 from $3.50 an extra $75 a week isn't going to kill my summer.
masssteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 07:21 AM   #3
Gearhead

Default Old Things New

Maybe the mount Washington should convert back to steam and run on wood pellets...
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 07:30 AM   #4
codeman671

I seem to recall last year everyone thought it would be well into the $4's and it never got there. I think the picture is a bit bigger than just gas prices. The economy in general isn't where it was. For those that live on the lake I think reduced crowds will bring them out more to enjoy the peace.

Those scary fast boats will keep everyone away...
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 07:39 AM   #5
robmac

I think the economy as well as gas prices will take a toll on summer traffic.Florida and other snowbird areas have seen a large drop off in revenue due to these resons.Myself,I will still use my boat as much as anyother year.
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2008, 08:12 AM   #6
PC31

Not for me or my family we will use the boat as much as possible. It's the price to pay for fun. It is not a necessity, it is a luxury.

Last edited by PC31; 03-12-2011 at 02:11 PM.
PC31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 08:35 AM   #7
Lakegeezer

Default Let the winds blow

Like last year, I'll only use the motorboat in 2008 on occasion. Last year, I only filled up the 30 gallon tank twice. That got me some salmon fishing, a few trips to Wolfeboro, taking the nephews tubing once, and many trolling speed sunset cruises. However, I logged over 300 miles on the sailboat and used about 6 gallons of gas.

The cost to day-trippers, to trailer a boat to the lake and the run it for a day will no doubt have a more significant effect than last summer. Its going to take a while, if ever, for people to get used to the new fuel prices. We still aren't experiencing the gas prices that Europe has seen for many years. There, recreation is much more 'green'.

Still, Winnipesaukee is close enough to Boston that it will attract tourists - if the snow ever melts. Fewer though than before, and that will impact the tourist economy. Hopefully the influx of year-round residents will diversify the local economy enough to support merchants as the economy shifts gears.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:57 AM   #8
sa meredith

Default $$$$$

I think gas prices along with many other factors (mostly poor economic times) will keep boat traffic down this summer. At least in my case it will. $100/150 days on the lake are going to have to be few and far between.
Recently, I received the bill for this years valet service...which increased $300
I was surprised by the attached note explaining all fees were due now, and in full as they were still on a "wait list" situation at the marina. I thouht to myself............ummm, don't think so!
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 10:52 AM   #9
kjbathe

Default Poor Economic Times

It seems we have this discussion every Spring - Gas prices are up, boat usage is supposed to down, the economy is going down the drain, blah, blah, blah... My question is this: Other than some increased gas prices and associated cost increases in those products that are delivered or manufactured through the use of gas, what else has changed?

I can't figure out if these "poor economic times" are reality, or just self-imposed and self-fulfilling prophecies from the doom and gloom crowd in an election year.

Maybe I'm just totally out of touch with reality -- and my question is legitimately intended to determine if that's the case -- but I don't see that this summer is any different than any other. Costs go up every year. Bear Stearns made some bad bets. And a bunch of folks in Texas bought homes they couldn't afford. How does any of that translate into bad economic times that are supposed to cause us all to cancel our annual summer vacation and determine that mowing the lawn (with scissors in order to save on gas) is a better option than hopping on the boat?
kjbathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 12:37 PM   #10
sa meredith

Default Very real

Kjbathe...
Please, take it from me. A person who has worked in front line retail, selling the same product for 21 years ( prices ranging from 20k to 50K)...the concept of tough economic time IS VERY REAL, VERY TANGIBLE! It is as bad as it has ever been (1991,1992 were close). I deal with people everday, and read their credit reports, and so many families...good, hard working families...can no longer make ends meet. My business alone is off 50/60 percent, and my personal income has dropped close to 30 percent in the past year. I grind it out in retail every day...day after day, dealing with both consumers and banks. To answers your question...YES, YOU ARE OUT OF TOUCH WITH REALITY...VERY MUCH SO! For you to insinuate it is just a "self imposed concept of gloom and doom" is just plain foolish. I'm sorry, and don't mean to be rude...but you don't know of what you speak.
Old 03-24-2008, 01:38 PM   #11
kjbathe

That's a reasonable response. Is it too early to ask for a second, or perhaps a third, opinion?
Old 03-24-2008, 01:53 PM   #12
jrc

Certain industries are the carnary's in the coal mine and react sooner and more violently than others. I'm guessing SA sells cars. I don't doubt that some people will be seriously hurt by this downturn. We may even slip into a recession.

I think that the lake will be slower than average this year, but I don't predict a huge difference from last year. I also expect a crash in oil prices, today's prices are a bubble.

I do think people tend to like hypebole and like to say things are the worst or best ever. All the politcal "worst ever" proclamations in the last few years, just prove that some people never read a history book. Or they mean it's the worst they can remember.

I pray that this economic downturn is not "as bad as it's ever been"

jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 02:04 PM   #13
sa meredith

Default follow up

I guess I should have said "as bad as it has been in my 21 years".
I'm sure business and the economy in the lakes region is in no real danger, as there is a lot of "old money" in the area. People who are wealthy, and retired.
But to say something like
" can't figure out if these "poor economic times" are reality, or just self-imposed and self-fulfilling prophecies from the doom and gloom crowd in an election year. "
is an insult to everyone who gets up and grinds away each day, just to make ends meet, as they watch there 401k dis-appear.
How's this for real world??????????? In the city I work in, there are currently 317 homes in forclosure. 317!!!! How many investors are getting burned, never mind the poor souls losing their homes. This is very real.
Old 03-24-2008, 03:30 PM   #14
robmac

I agree with SA,I am in the service industry and it is not the worst I've seen but ranks up there. People no longer have alot of disposible income and are watching where the money gets them the most bang for the dollar.It certainly won't kill the lakes region but the impact will be felt. This a REAL problem not just a few people losing homes or one financial instition in trouble but a problem nationwide that I see every week as I travel
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 06:43 PM   #15
secondcurve

I am not sure how current economic conditions stack up against prior downturns, but I think it is apparent that many folks are closer to the edge in the spring of 2008 than they have been in recent years. Clearly, the summer of 2008 in the Lakes Region will be less robust than the summer of 2007 as marginal demand will fade due to a combination of sagging assets prices, sky high fuel costs and rising unemployment. The real question is whether the next step from here is up or down. Time will tell.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 08:33 PM   #16
Rattlesnake Guy

I have an idea.

How about we all carry a paint ball gun and decorate captain bone heads boats every time he shows himself. Then we get the marinas to charge the decorated boats $5.00 a gallon and the rest of us $3.50.

It may not solve the problem but is sure sounds satisfying the next time the cap comes within 50 feet of you towing his kid without a spotter. Pop, pop.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 08:44 PM   #17
Cobalt 25

Smile

Four bucks for a gallon of gas? Chump change!

I'm retired on $42k a year with a boat that gets 2 miles per gallon. Last year, as is the case every year since at least 2001, we logged over a hundred hours.

During the rest of the non-boating year I really look forward to getting out in the boat. For my family, I obviously put a very high priority on HAVING FUN. So when I can get the boat in the water, damn the costs, full (reasonable!) speed ahead!

By no means should this be interpreted to make light of people who are struggling financially. But the question was asked about the influence of higher fuel prices on usage, and this is where I stand. Hey, I could be dead next October and think of all the fun I would miss!

Peter

Last edited by Cobalt 25; 03-24-2008 at 08:46 PM. Reason: couldn't figure out how to use icons!
Cobalt 25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 10:24 PM   #18
KonaChick

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa meredith View Post
I guess I should have said "as bad as it has been in my 21 years".
I'm sure business and the economy in the lakes region is in no real danger, as there is a lot of "old money" in the area. People who are wealthy, and retired.
But to say something like
" can't figure out if these "poor economic times" are reality, or just self-imposed and self-fulfilling prophecies from the doom and gloom crowd in an election year. "
is an insult to everyone who gets up and grinds away each day, just to make ends meet, as they watch there 401k dis-appear.
How's this for real world??????????? In the city I work in, there are currently 317 homes in forclosure. 317!!!! How many investors are getting burned, never mind the poor souls losing their homes. This is very real.
A lot of those people losing their homes should never have been approved for a loan to buy a house in the first place...we all read and watch the news. I'm not saying I wish this on anyone but the back story here is a big part of the real story. Off topic sorry, but I had to add my 2 cents.
KonaChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 10:50 PM   #19
Resident 2B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobalt 25 View Post

I'm retired on $42k a year with a boat that gets 2 miles per gallon. Last year, as is the case every year since at least 2001, we logged over a hundred hours.

Peter
I am retired as well, with two children in private college. However, we bought a new, bigger boat this winter and as long as gas on the lake stays below $5 a gallon, it will not impact our boating. We are now in the 2 MPG group.

It comes down to quality of life and priorities. Boating has a very high priority and it adds to our quality of life. Life is limited and you have to live it while it is available.

That said, I think gas, fuel oil and natural gas prices are too high. Those that favorably compare our prices to those in Europe are not calculating the taxes in Europe vs. the lower taxes on fuel here. Factor in the taxes and we are not doing so well.

I feel badly for those who are unable to heat their places at the level that is comfortable. We contribute to organizations that use funds to help these folks, but it clearly is very tough on them. We all need to consider helping those who need our help.

I hope we see the ice out of here by May 1st and that we can get on with the fun! The boating season and life are both too short.

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 06:19 AM   #20
Blue Thunder

Default I agree

I'm sure everyone has their reasons for responding the way that they do as everyone's situation is different. My signature says it all, as far as I'm concerned. I thought about it long and hard and live by it every day.
A couple of extra shifts will make up the difference from last year (if there is one)

Blue Thunder
Old 03-25-2008, 05:06 PM   #21
The Big Kahuna

Default Gas Prices

It will have an effect on me and my GFBL. You will not see me going over 35 - 40 this year. As a poor white trash boy, who has done well, I still can not justify blowing all that money on gas. Especially since should have all we want from Iraq, it should be ours by now, shouldn't it?
The Big Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 09:35 PM   #22
Rattlesnake Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
snip ...difference from last year (if there is one)

Blue Thunder
Amen to that. God willing.

Life is short. The trips might be shorter, slower and less frequent but they are all precious at any cost.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 05:54 AM   #23
fatlazyless

In the central New Hampshire, nothing gets a higher consumer awareness than the price of a gallon of gasoline. It is #1 on the list, far & away, with a gallon of milk being a distant second. People pay a lot more attention to the price of gas, than to the brand of gas. Brand means very little, while the price is everything.

At the new Cumberland Farm on Rt 3, above the Weirs, it has the area's lowest price of 2.99, and business was booming.

While the Lakes Region doesn't really lend itself to bicycles due to all the hills, and lack of bicycle lanes, probably the use of bicycles will increase anyway.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:13 PM   #24
Jeti

Thats why the jetski was invented..hehehe
Jeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 08:08 PM   #25
froggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobalt 25 View Post
Four bucks for a gallon of gas? Chump change!

THANKS, for Quoting retirement income @ $42K/year. Many of us don't make that while working our butts more than 40hrs / week!

BUT we live in Lake Region 52 weeks, and do not even have $42K sitting in retirement account!
froggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 07:23 AM   #26
Merrymeeting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeti View Post
Not sure I agree with that one. Our ski gulps way more gas than our full-size boat.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 09:00 AM   #27
fatlazyless

The third week of March is Canadian vacation week, and Waterville Valley was filled with english speaking Canadians. The lots were full of cars bearing plates from Prince Edward Island, New Foundland, Ontario, Nova Scotia. During motorcycle week in June, it's attracts French speaking Canadians from Quibec.

While the price of gasoline has been rising as the dollar has been falling, the number of Canadian visitors seems to be increasing. Used to be when the Canadian dollar traded at .70 of the US dollar, some local hotels would accept it at equal value to encourage Canadian visitors during what had been a slow weekNow, the same hotels probably wish they could continue that practice since the Canadian dollar has grown to have more value than the US dollar.

This suggests that the number of summer-time, Canadian vistors to the Lakes Region should be increasing because their dollar gives them a purchasing advantage in the US.

"Aye there mate, got change for a hunred?"

Old 03-31-2008, 01:40 PM   #28
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeti View Post
I guess I need a new avitar.
Old 03-31-2008, 04:03 PM   #29
KBoater

Default Gas & Canadians

The gas for my smaller boat is a savings because it uses half as much (only 1 engine).

The Canadians are here this winter in droves. They are buying houses and spending money. It helps the local markets. Most are from Ontario province. Let’s hope they visit Winni this summer.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:08 PM   #30
fatlazyless

Just like the Canadian dollar, the euro from Europe has more purchasing power here in the lakes region due to the weak US dollar. Maybe Canadians and Europeans will show up and purchase price -depressed, Winnipesaukee condos and Bajas and Sea Rays. French President Nicholas Sarkozy vacationed in Wolfeboro last summer with his former wife. Maybe he'll decide to visit Meredith this summer with his new wife? C'est le vie sur le lake gros!
Old 04-01-2008, 08:18 PM   #31
Weirs guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLboater View Post
The Canadians are here this winter in droves. They are buying houses and spending money. It helps the local markets. Most are from Ontario province. Let’s hope they visit Winni this summer.
Hooray?

Now?
Weirs guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 06:20 PM   #32
sa meredith

Default strange

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
Certain industries are the carnary's in the coal mine and react sooner and more violently than others. I'm guessing SA sells cars. I don't doubt that some people will be seriously hurt by this downturn. We may even slip into a recession.

I think that the lake will be slower than average this year, but I don't predict a huge difference from last year. I also expect a crash in oil prices, today's prices are a bubble.

I do think people tend to like hypebole and like to say things are the worst or best ever. All the politcal "worst ever" proclamations in the last few years, just prove that some people never read a history book. Or they mean it's the worst they can remember.

I pray that this economic downturn is not "as bad as it's ever been"

I remember this posting from months back, in discussing the economy. And the quote of "as bad as it's been" followed by the picture of people living in tents back in the depression. (the point being, things will never get that bad).
Well, read this:
Just plain scary...
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26776283/
Old 09-18-2008, 06:41 PM   #33
Pineedles

Default Don't panic

If you are lucky enough to have a 401 K or if you have an IRA savings account that is directed towards retirement sit down, relax, and don't look at the panic sellers that are causing the wide swings in Don Jones Average or other indicies. There is no similarity to the depression with what is going on right now. Read the inforation that is provided by the internet. You have so much more information than your forefathers had.

But, if you want to sell all your stocks, go ahead! I'll scoop them up at a discount and make hundreds. I'm not rich enouh to make thousnds, or for that matter millions. But others will.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 09:23 AM   #34
kjbathe

Thumbs up If you build it...

..."a campus of shelters Reno is building for its homeless population..."

They will come!

I chuckled the other night when one reporter hyperventilated that, "We're clearly in a recession" in response to the 500-point drop in the Dow average. As if one day on the Dow represented the overall state of our still-growing economy.

If you're looking for an excuse to be depressed, focusing only on the market's down days is probably a pretty good strategy. Meanwhile, those of us with the long term view kind of like it when America's stock goes on sale. This is the time folks should be buying, not selling.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:53 PM   #35
fatlazyless

Some good news....gasoline prices are supposed to stay low this summer.....the federal government says, after consulting their crystal ball, that the high for gasoline should average 2.23/gal , sounds very good.
Old 04-15-2009, 05:36 AM   #36
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbathe View Post
..."a campus of shelters Reno is building for its homeless population..."

They will come!

I chuckled the other night when one reporter hyperventilated that, "We're clearly in a recession" in response to the 500-point drop in the Dow average. As if one day on the Dow represented the overall state of our still-growing economy.

If you're looking for an excuse to be depressed, focusing only on the market's down days is probably a pretty good strategy. Meanwhile, those of us with the long term view kind of like it when America's stock goes on sale. This is the time folks should be buying, not selling.
We haven't heard from you since September 2008? I guess things got a little worse than you expected? Stocks and property values can go down for a very long time.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 01:28 PM   #37
OCDACTIVE

I heard on WMUR this morning that gasoline prices may come up a little bit more but there should not be any drastic changes. Very good for boating
Old 04-15-2009, 02:14 PM   #38
gtxrider

Default 2.25 a gallon

I heard the prediction of 2.25 a gallon on the road so add a bit more on the lake. That seems like a big drop from last summer but if one is unemployed 2.25 is steep.
gtxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 06:23 AM   #39
dpg

I also believe gas will be way down, well that is as compared to last summer. Last year we hit the breaking point whith people where the prices actually broke them and changed the way we drive, live and just plain exist. Gas was one of the factors which brought on the current state of affairs we're in, mortgages of course buried people but the fuel prices certanly didn't help either. Although still high this summer will feel like a bargain when you think about last year.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote