Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-01-2009, 08:06 AM   #1
ishoot308

Thanked 4,941 Times in 1,917 Posts
Default Eastern Boats

I have been looking at the "Eastern" line of boats and was wondering if anyone here has any first hand experience.

I have done a search on the forum and have seen where many people have said they knew someone who owned one and were very happy with it, but nothing first hand.

They appear to be a well designed and quality built boat that's made right here in New Hampshire. It's looks like a perfect island boat to me, unfortunately there are no dealers of Eastern boats on Winni. I have seen a couple at the Gilford town docks but unfortunately have not seen the owners to talk to.

I am looking at either their 22' or the newer 24' and have no idea what they cost new as their web site says nothing about pricing. Does anyone have any idea (ball park numbers) what these boats run in price?? Any first hand experience out there with Eastern??

Thanks!!

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 08:29 AM   #2
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,002 Times in 915 Posts

Dan,

We looked at them 2 years ago and made a visit to the plant in Milton. Carroll Canney gave us a tour and 2007 pricing info. His number was 603-652-9213.

At that time the 22’ hardtop base price (standard equip no engine) was $31,390. When we added the hard cabin sides, Honda 115 engine and several other options it was up to $46K.

It looks like a great island boat. We did manage to talk to several owners that we met by chance at Glendale and all had good things to say. If and when the Slickcraft dies, we will again consider an Eastern. My only concern was the relatively low transom when backing out into the waves on the island on a windy day.

Alan
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 09:08 AM   #3
ApS

Smile Eastern Boats Good...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
...It looks like a great island boat...My only concern was the relatively low transom when backing out into the waves on the island on a windy day..."
For those unfamiliar with this New Hampshire—and local—builder, the following are two "Eastern" examples:

A sailing colleague piloted his Eastern to my dock on a windy day: I advised waiting for a calmer day to tow my sailboat, but off he zoomed with it anyway—without a problem.

I've watched this Eastern go by in every condition imaginable—ooooooops—excepting heavy fog . I'm impressed in every way with it's "lake-winnipesaukee-worthiness". It's got a Honda outboard, which is how I'd order it.

On Fridays or Saturdays, you'll probably see it towing a J-boat to the races.
(A J-boat is one of our faster, larger, sailboats on Winnipesaukee...um...um...a 28-footer? 29? ).
Old 06-01-2009, 11:34 AM   #4
Squam Friend

I have used an older Eastern 19' center console with a 4cyl I/O and it was a great boat, very well built and durable as a work boat. Seemed like it could take very rough water (much rougher than I ever saw on Squam). The only issue it had was electrical because it came from salt - the switch panel for lights, bilge, etc had to be replaced - all due to the salt water usage, I'm sure. I don't know if they even have dealers, since the company is relatively small.
Squam Friend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 01:12 PM   #5
Audiofn

I have a lot of time in one on the ocean. Nice boats, well built. Not the dryest boat ever but I never felt unsafe.

I would highly suggest looking at the Gloucester Boats G20 in that category.
Audiofn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2009, 02:49 PM   #6
VtSteve

I'd realy like one of these, or the Mainship I saw last year. But when I looked at the budget, not quite yet.

http://www.backcoveyachts.com/
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 09:10 PM   #7
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Eastern Boats

Took the original design from Don Arronow, who designed the Cigarette, Apache, Donzi and Formula boats.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:47 AM   #8
Winnipesaukee Divers

Default They are great people to work with

Back at the turn of the century (last one that is) we needed a new launch at the club and I met up with the boys form Eastern at the boat show. They told me they could make a boat to our specification at the going price for a standard boat. So, we took them up on their offer and had it made just for us. When owner of the company delivered it to us, he insisted that I check out the serial number, it was "WCYC220000". The boat gets beat every and has held up remarkably well despite having hundreds of different divers and some are just inexperienced kids and you know what that means.

I highly recommend Eastern.
Winnipesaukee Divers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 02:21 PM   #9
Chillin & Grillin

Default 1983 Eastern going strong

My Eastern is a hand me down from my father in law. It spent 10 years in the salt water lobstering, now she is going strong at the lake. It serves as our island pick-up truck.
Attached Images

Chillin & Grillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 06:10 PM   #10
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

LOL! I can relate to that. I don't know what we would do without a pickup truck!
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 12:07 PM   #11
ishoot308

Default Thanks!

Thanks for the replies all! I will most likely take their plant tour and take it from there. Sounds like a great local builder of a quality boat.

Dan
Old 06-05-2009, 08:01 AM   #12
codeman671

I toured the plant a few years ago when I was looking at a 26' used boat that they had up from Nantucket. I liked the Easterns but decided it was not the boat for me. I put a posting out a while ago looking for suggestions. For me, I would prefer something with an enclosed cabin such as the Parkers (I would want heat and AC in it) but want a lot of rear deck space so preferrably outboards on brackets. In the cockpit I want all seating, I could care less about stoves, sinks, etc. And it has to do at least 50.

The Eastern I looked at had nothing for seating and had the I/O engine hump in the stern so deck space was not great. A boat like this for me will be a people and dog hauler as well as a wheel barrow. I have not found the right one yet that will make me get rid of my yellow toon.

Y Landing carries the C-Dory which are nice looking.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 09:53 AM   #13
ishoot308

Codeman;

Thanks for the info. I too have looked at the C Dory and like them! Kinda nice that a Winni Marina is a dealer of them as well.

As far as my toon I can't say enough good about it. I have no plans to get rid of it just increasing the size of the fleet!!

The toon has been a real work horse for the island and as you know handles anything the lake can throw at her. It really never ceases to amaze me how well it carries big loads and handles rough water with ease. I just want something to get out of the inclement weather a little better particularly for my wife and guests. I have an enclosure coming in for it, but again as you know that has it's limitations. A hard enclosure is really what I want and need.

Dan