Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2009, 05:55 AM   #1
Winnipesaukee

Default Last VHF question--I promise!

I have a 5' CB whip antenna lying around. If I hooked that up to my VHF radio on the boat, would it work?

And, where's the best place in the Lakes Region to pick up a 3' whip antenna and stainless mount without paying a 200% (st)ealership markup?

Thanks
Old 05-22-2009, 06:10 AM   #2
jrc

Not very well. CB radios operate around 27 MHZ and Marine VHF is around 156 MHZ. It may do something but a coat hanger would work as well. In the extreme case, it could damage your radio.

In the lakes region, you will have a problem getting stuff like this mark-up or not. If I had to buy it locally, I'd call all the marinas, and visit only the biggest stores. I'd really try to but it over the internet, there just isn't much selection of marine electronics in any retail store.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 06:46 AM   #3
wifi

As JRC said, antennas are designed for specific frequenc(ies).

Take a look at Radio Shack, they have some nice prices for web only deals and one antenna available in (some) stores.

Check 'em out online.
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 07:19 AM   #4
Winnipesaukee

I thought as long as an antenna had a certain amount of resistance (I think most VHF antennas are 50 ohms), it would not damage anything.

..And it would operate efficiently if the length of the antenna "matched" the length of the wave?

Airwaves? Where are you???
Old 05-22-2009, 07:39 AM   #5
Irrigation Guy

This place is my favorite.

http://ecatalog.westmarine.com/

You may be able to use this next place against the first with price matching.

http://www.consumersmarine.com/

I'd love to do business locally, but pricing must be within reason on this stuff.
Irrigation Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-2009, 07:48 AM   #6
Skip

Default Antenna stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipesaukee View Post
I thought as long as an antenna had a certain amount of resistance (I think most VHF antennas are 50 ohms), it would not damage anything.

..And it would operate efficiently if the length of the antenna "matched" the length of the wave?

Airwaves? Where are you???
The correct term here is impedance, not resistance. A huge difference when disscussing AC components versus DC.

In order to be a match (show the correct impedance of 50 ohms) the antenna's "electrical" length must match that of the output of the radio. That output is determined by frequency. (that is why you usually see antennas rated as 1/4 wave, 1/2 wave or full wave in design)

A CB antenna is electrically matched to show 50 ohms when it's length matches a certain fraction of the wavelength of 27 mhz. A VHF marine antenna therefore shows a 50 ohm impedance in the 156 mhz range.

Connecting a VHF radio to a cb antenna will cause no harm while it's receiving, although receive range will be greatly diminished. When you transmit however the impedance mismatch will cause much of the RF energy to be reflected back into the final output stage of the transmitter, While most modern transmitters have protection that will shunt this or decrease output power, continual usage will most likely result in damage.
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 08:43 AM   #7
jrc

Winni,
You pretty much have it right, the antenna must have the right resistance and the right wavelength. But the devil is in the details.

In the radio frequency world, resistance (ohms) is not accurate enough, you need to consider impedance as well (also ohms). You can think of impedance as resistance that changes with frequency. So a 50 ohm antenna at 27 Mhz is likely not 50 ohms at 156 Mhz. As Skip says, your radio is designed to have 50 ohms and with the wrong antenna it won't see 50 ohms.

Second thing is wavelength. The length of radio waves is inversely proportional to frequency. So at 27 Mhz your wavelength should be around 36 feet and at 156 Mhz its closer to 6 feet.
Old 05-22-2009, 09:47 AM   #8
Bear Islander

WOW Skip!

I didn't know you were a radio engineer. Another thing we have in common.
Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 03:42 PM   #9
Skip

Smile Electronics stuff....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Islander View Post
WOW Skip!

I didn't know you were a radio engineer. Another thing we have in common.

In my cold war life electronics (and underwater acoustics) is what I specialized in when I served in the submarine service. I was a sonar supervisor on a Fleet Ballistic Missile Submarine (U.S.S. James K. Polk SSBN 645). Now a-days I have a side business where I program (and service) many of the Motorola digital radios issued statewide the last decade, emergency vehicle electronics upfitting and auto/marine electronics. I have recently branched into point-to-point wireless and wifi installations. Currently have configured a point-to-point system and am starting to implement wifi throughout a major campground.

I have toyed off and on with the idea of offering mobile marine electronics service to the Lakes region, but I am still working out the logistics as this is an hour away from my main service area (Strafford & Rockingham counties).

I hope to bend Don's ear at forum fest about some potential advertising I may want to do via this website...seems to be plenty of potential customers here...

Anyway, I am working into this gig gradually as I still plan to do a few more years in my Government job....this is definitely not the time to retire!
Old 05-22-2009, 03:55 PM   #10
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
In my cold war life electronics (and underwater acoustics) is what I specialized in when I served in the submarine service. I was a sonar supervisor on a Fleet Ballistic Missile Submarine (U.S.S. James K. Polk SSBN 645). Now a-days I have a side business where I program (and service) many of the Motorola digital radios issued statewide the last decade, emergency vehicle electronics upfitting and auto/marine electronics. I have recently branched into point-to-point wireless and wifi installations. Currently have configured a point-to-point system and am starting to implement wifi throughout a major campground.

I have toyed off and on with the idea of offering mobile marine electronics service to the Lakes region, but I am still working out the logistics as this is an hour away from my main service area (Strafford & Rockingham counties).

I hope to bend Don's ear at forum fest about some potential advertising I may want to do via this website...seems to be plenty of potential customers here...

Anyway, I am working into this gig gradually as I still plan to do a few more years in my Government job....this is definitely not the time to retire!
On the wireless stuff, I have c-level contacts at Firetide, Azalea and Fluidmesh if you start looking at mesh topologies. I also have a distributor in Chicago that specializes in wireless (they are a disti for our cameras as well).

Funny you mention the marine electronics/upfitter biz. I was looking at a couple of properties with lake/dock access for a similar reason. We should talk...
Old 05-23-2009, 03:46 AM   #11
Misty Blue

Default Small underwater world!

Hey Skip:

I used to service the Polk when I was stationed on the drydock in Holy Loch.

Misty Blue
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 04:12 AM   #12
ApS

Warning!...

USS Canopus?

USS Holland?

Old 05-23-2009, 05:28 AM   #13
Skip

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty Blue View Post
Hey Skip:

I used to service the Polk when I was stationed on the drydock in Holy Loch.

Misty Blue
Gee, do I get to thank you for all the goats milk they always gave us there?
Old 05-23-2009, 07:34 AM   #14
fatlazyless

Excuse me for bringing this up, but isn't the Winnipesaukee vhs radio talk just a couple-three-four salmon fisherman who are out there troll'n around at 1.5 mph, tell'n some fish stories over the radio.

Like no, we ain't be catching nothing here, the fishing stinks....how 'bout you....catch anything? Nup...nuth'n here either! Dr Hook has headed over by Diamond Island..... following him back 'bout quarter mile.....yeah!
Old 05-23-2009, 08:09 AM   #15
jrc

FLL, yes that's about all the chatter you hear these days. All the drinking buddies have switched to cell phones for obvious reasons. Everyone under 30 has a cell phone grafted to their ear at birth. Kids under 20 can't talk, they can only text.

I still haven't installed a permanent VHF on my boat (I use a hand held). I boat strickly on Winnipesaukee and VHF is becoming soley an insurance policy or a novelty during fishing derbys.
Old 05-23-2009, 08:43 AM   #16
Weekend Pundit

Smile Me, too! and other VHF radio stuff...

I too am an RF engineer, though these days I deal more with fiber optics (who says data at 10 or 40 Gbits/second isn't just like RF?).

I spent over 20 years on radar systems and missile guidance systems working for Raytheon.

Like JRC, I also use a handheld on Winnipesaukee, though I do sometimes use the antenna mounted on the boat to extend the range. (I've rarely been unable to reach the Marine Patrol using the rubber duck, but it's nice to have the better antenna available if I really need it.) I also bring along my dual-band (144/440) ham handheld, but mostly for 'rag chewing' when I'm at anchor and kicking back a cold one (usually a Dr. Pepper).
Weekend Pundit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 11:10 PM   #17
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Didn't realize that there were a whole lot of HAMs out there on the lake. Hmm.. may have to bring the 2M rig out with me next time. Doesn't seem like there are a whole lot of people out there at least on the Ossipee machine.

As already stated the antenna has to be matched to the radio and while as Skip says most radios do have some protection against a mismatched antenna most are not resilient to take to much of that, especially if they operate at high power. Once you fry the finals the radio is good as junk, 99% of the time it's not cost effective to fix them once that happens. Even if you get a marine antenna it's always a good idea to have somebody check the match on it before using it just to be sure. Plus the closer you are to a 1:1 match to the middle of the operational band spectrum you're sure to get the best performance out of your rig. Then again is it even possible to trim those glass marine whips if needed? Hey one question on that since I have too considered getting a marine radio in my boat, what do you use for a ground plane?
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 04:43 PM   #18
Weekend Pundit

Default Antenna gound plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
Hey one question on that since I have too considered getting a marine radio in my boat, what do you use for a ground plane?
Most of the fiberglass marine antennas don't require them as they are designed to operate as a half-wave dipole, with either a single or dual dipole element (dual dipole element antennas are usually configured as a collinear array). Remember, a dipole doesn't require a ground plane to radiate efficiently.

On the other hand, the base-loaded stainless steel whips do, but many of them are designed to be mounted to a railing, which acts as the ground plane. The radiation pattern won't be circular, but it will radiate better than the leaky dummy load that is the rubber duck antenna. Those antennas not mounted to a nice conductive railing will require some kind of ground plane, whether it is a plate or wire radials on the other side of the deck where the antenna is mounted.
Old 05-24-2009, 08:11 PM   #19
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Pundit View Post
I too am an RF engineer, though these days I deal more with fiber optics (who says data at 10 or 40 Gbits/second isn't just like RF?).
I too made the switch from RF to optics engineering. I worked on microwave digital radio, then CATV stuff, and for the last 12 years DWDM gear. DWDM is just like CATV, only lots faster. Oddly, it's the backbone for FIOS.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 03:56 PM   #20
Weekend Pundit

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
I too made the switch from RF to optics engineering. I worked on microwave digital radio, then CATV stuff, and for the last 12 years DWDM gear. DWDM is just like CATV, only lots faster. Oddly, it's the backbone for FIOS.
Verizon is one of our customers, as is AT&T, Quest, ComCast, MetroCast, Sprint, FairPoint, Frontier, Cox, Time-Warner, BT, and a whole host of other telcos and Cable MSO's all over the world. We deal a lot with FTTH, CWDM, DWDM, PNG, and utilities, too.

These days most of my RF experience is with ham radio, VHF marine, and some military systems.

I must admit I do have fun with it. I like to listen to Channel 16 on the scanner at home. It never ceases to amuse/amaze me the things I hear going on around the lake!
Old 05-26-2009, 02:06 PM   #21
Dave R

Quote:
Verizon is one of our customers, as is AT&T, Quest, ComCast, MetroCast, Sprint, FairPoint, Frontier, Cox, Time-Warner, BT, and a whole host of other telcos and Cable MSO's all over the world. We deal a lot with FTTH, CWDM, DWDM, PNG, and utilities, too.

These days most of my RF experience is with ham radio, VHF marine, and some military systems.

I must admit I do have fun with it. I like to listen to Channel 16 on the scanner at home. It never ceases to amuse/amaze me the things I hear going on around the lake!

Sounds like we work for the same company... My office is in Westford MA.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:44 PM   #22
brk-lnt

Quote:
Are you on Robbins Road?
Old 05-26-2009, 03:44 PM   #23
jrc

are you guys LUsers?
Old 05-26-2009, 08:35 PM   #24
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
Are you on Robbins Road?
Yup. I am indeed. 25 years now with this employer.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:46 PM   #25
Weekend Pundit

Quote:
I work for a small fiber optics test equipment design/manufacturing firm in Belmont, NH and the main offices of our corporate masters are down in Spartanburg, SC.
Old 05-27-2009, 05:28 AM   #26
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
are you guys LUsers?
Formerly a LUser, before that, AT&T/Bell Labs, now Alcatel-Lucent.
Old 05-27-2009, 06:08 AM   #27
Blue Thunder

Default Wow

Not for nothin' guys, but this is fascinating....

BT
Old 05-27-2009, 09:06 AM   #28
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
are you guys LUsers?
Not since 2001. When I started the company was called "Cascade", and it was a fun time to be in the business.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:39 AM   #29
jrc

I served my time at the big red circle through an aquisition as well. And left in 2001. Given your Cascade time, we probably know some of the same people.

Yes a much more fun time to be in the business.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:48 AM   #30
SIKSUKR

I thought I was pretty savy with most things mechanical but I've met my match on this thread.As my father always said."the more you learn,the more you find out how much you don't know".I feel I'm getting dumber.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:30 PM   #31
Blue Thunder

Default Me too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
I thought I was pretty savy with most things mechanical but I've met my match on this thread.As my father always said."the more you learn,the more you find out how much you don't know".I feel I'm getting dumber.
I'm with you SS. I've done more than a few installs of CB/UHF/VHF radios and antennas over the years in trucks and public safety vehicles and "understand" most of what has been stated here in this thread, but these guys are in a league all their own and I'm not afraid to say I learned something. Very cool. Thanks.

Blue Thunder
Old 05-27-2009, 08:53 PM   #32
Mee-n-Mac

Default It is a small world (after all) ...

Quote:
I work for a small fiber optics test equipment design/manufacturing firm in Belmont, NH and the main offices of our corporate masters are down in Spartanburg, SC.
Hmmmm WE, sounds like we might have crossed paths in our former careers. Did you work for P. Ventresca ?

How's that tune go ....