Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-18-2009, 08:21 AM   #1
ishoot308

Thanked 4,939 Times in 1,915 Posts
Default Water In Outboard

I recently purchased a Boston Whaler with a 150 Mercury outboard on it. This weekend I noticed when I took the cover off the engine that there was standing water in the lower section of the engine housing. It appears, and I am assuming rain water is getting by the engine cover seal somehow. Is this a common problem and do I need to worry about it?? Would replacing the motor cover gasket stop this propblem or is this an inherent issue with my 1992 Mercury outboard??

Thanks!

Dan
ishoot308 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:20 AM   #2
Sman

I don't have a direct answer to your question, outboards I owned were all older than that, maybe just a couple things to consider. How is it getting in, maybe not rain, are you docking it stern out, where waves can play into it. Secondly why is it not draining out, I had outboards where spiders make nests and clog stuff up, is there any tree debris or other junk inside?

Even if it is running ok my instinct would be that it should not hold water
Sman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 01:26 PM   #3
ishoot308

Thanks for the reply!

I dock at Fays where there are no waves or wakes. I am pretty sure it is rain water.

How is the water supposed to drain out?? Are there weep holes in this area of the motor??

Thanks!!

Dan
Old 05-18-2009, 01:49 PM   #4
jmen24

Dan
I had a 1989 Evinrude O/b that even when the lid was on and sealed water could get into the engine cavity via the cowl vents that were located on the top of the cowl toward the rear of the engine, they used the same cut out as the grab handle to lift the motor out, so when out of the water and the outboard was all the way up a hard rain or snow could collect and drain into the cowl. I am sure you have power trim on the 150 and you may not have that same cutout but that is a source that water could and did find its way into the cowl on my setup.

There should be weep holes on the front of the lower cowl and the rear, so when trimmed up the water would drain and when under way the water would drain, it may also drain through a channel in the lower unit but I would doubt that. If the lower half of the cowl is very clean, i.e. no debris, and the weeps should drain that water out. If not a little Yankee fix would be to put it on the end the will best suit your needs. If you store in up trim than I would drill a 1/4" hole as low as possible in the lower cowling half to let the water out.

I assume that this was the first look of the season and it was not in the water prior, because my next guess would be that there is a leak in the cooling system at the exit. Mine was high enough that if the outlet line had a crack or leak it would have filled the lower cowl with water, just an afterthought.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 02:09 PM   #5
ishoot308

Default Thanks!

Jmen;

What you say makes perfect sense and I will look at more closely to see if the weeps are blocked. The engine was pretty clean so the water may be draining when underway. When I noticed it I was docked and motor was down in the water.

Thanks for your help!

Dan
Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-2009, 03:16 PM   #6
Sman

If you don't figure it out, and if your at Fay's, catch Jeff while he is around and run it by him, he is good about that stuff, he may give you some things to check without charging you, he is very knowledgable
Old 05-18-2009, 04:01 PM   #7
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Having had an out board for many years, Here are my quick things to look at most of which have been previously mentioned....

--- There are always opening in the Cowl that should allow the water to drain.... sometimes they are small and get plugged up.... find them and note where they are for future knowledge..... and keep a coat hanger ready if they are of that size....

--- There are usually multiple tubing connections for the water circulating system in the block..... these leak and sometime tubing needs to be replaced.

--- last don't be afriad to start the engine with the Cowl off, and look for any potential water Jacket issues or leaking tubing.....

--- last how much water are you talking????
Old 05-19-2009, 10:46 PM   #8
jst_4_kiks

the water is most likely coming in the air vents in the cowl. do you leave the engine tipped or vertical when not using your boat? if vertical its fine, but if its tipped the the cowl is like a funnel.

also check for cracked fittings, loose water tubes, etc.

there are drain holes in the cowl (areas for the water to seep out of the engine area) those can be blocked/plugged by nests, rags, etc.

PM with any questions about marine repair
jst_4_kiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 10:46 AM   #9
Sman

all this being said...does it run?
Old 05-20-2009, 01:07 PM   #10
ishoot308

Default Runs great

Sman;

Yes it runs fine. Going to pull cover off tonight and see if weeps are blocked. I'll report back.

Thanks!!

Dan
Old 05-20-2009, 01:37 PM   #11
Sman

thats good to hear, I am not too far from where you keep your boat, so I will be looking for a whaler with a 150 this weekend to see if the captain looks happy, good luck!